General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FTAO: Everyone Who Is Good With English, Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 27-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FTAO: Everyone Who Is Good With English, Please Help.

This is a piece of work I have written for my English Lesson, and as you are all blatantly arse holes who will pick at the faults, I thought I best post it. Please point out any mistakes, etc.

Originally Posted by Benni
Dear Sarah,

I have received your letter and I am pleased to hear from you. It’s nice to know you and the girls are doing well and keeping in high spirits. As always, send them my love and well wishes. I would like to tell you all is well, but I shall not lie to you darling, as I find the only thing that keeps me going, is our trust, honesty and companionship. Times are hard at the moment; close friends of mine are being killed all around me. Soon there will be more rats than men, and they seem to be growing bigger as the days go on as they are feeding off the bodies of soldiers, who have sadly been killed. There has been an endless amount of rain fall, which in turn has caused the trenches to flood. The rain fills up the trenches and water seeps in through the sides leaving us up to our knees in thick, stinking mud which makes any movement difficult, and very limited. It can take weeks to months before the rain dries out, and usually by then more has been and flooded. The rain is diseased, because of lice infestation. This has killed many people in itself. The food is usually cold or late; I find myself, like all soldiers living off the tin foods you send me, which brings great comfort to what is a life of unpleasantness.

The trenches require constant building and repairing, which is hard work, and can be just enough to send some soldiers over the edge. Trench life is tedious, hard work and I hope and pray daily that I do not end up with a disease which is being spread by the maggots and flies feasting on the decomposing corpses. Our outfits, although very helpful in saving our lives, weigh more than the world itself. The helmet alone is heavy enough, and the rest of the clothing doesn’t bare thinking about. The boots fill with water, and you daren’t take them off, which has led to a disease, commonly known as trench foot. This is a lot worse than it sounds, people have been severely injured, some even crippled. It’s colder here than I could have ever imagined, close friends of mine have suffered from frostbite, exposure and they are bravely carrying on, like the heroes are to become.

Although times are hard, and I am suffering, I still feel I am one of the lucky ones, as some are shell shocked, which means they have been killed, as ignorantly this disease has not to be regonised, which means it is being mistaken and instead they are being shot, as the cowards they most certainly are not. I carry on, using the photograph I have of you and the girls, who help me, continue on this horrendous journey. We are more likely to die of a disease than in the battle itself, which is very bizarre really but also very close to the truth.

Speaking of the battle, things have changed dramatically for the worse, there has been no action for weeks, and although this can only be a good thing, it has led to sheer boredom. People are snapping at their friends, and it has left an unpleasant atmosphere amongst the troops. You have to be very careful when you sleep, as the rats are so big they will eat through your boots and clothes, which would be highly unpleasant. Just last week, we where gassed which has left many men wounded, slowly dying, and there is really nothing anyone can do for them, other than pray. I miss you and the girls, and would give all I had to spend Christmas with you, as a family. This is looking less and less likely, so for now I shall spend my time here, proudly fighting for our country.

I hope this letter is received, and my honesty is respected. Nobody knows when the war will end, which means I can not tell you when I will be home. However, I will keep as safe as possible, and hope for a safe return. Take care my darling, and look after yourself and the kids. Please remember, my love for you is strong, and growing daily. For it is you that keeps me going. I hope this letter reaches you in good time, if at all.
Yours sincerely,
Ben.

Benni.
Old 27-10-2008, 03:18 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

and usually by then more has been and flooded
rain doesn't flood, rain causes a flood.
The rain is diseased, because of lice infestation
the water is diseased, not the rain, unless the rain is affected by the lice and infestation mid-flight.
The food is usually cold or late
Late? In this context?? It's not meals on wheels.
I hope and pray daily that I do not end up with a disease which is being spread by....
"a disease" sounds like he thinks there may be one, but then "which is being spread" suggests it is fact - which is it?
Our outfits
Uniforms?
like the heroes are to become
like the heroes they are to become
Although times are hard, and I am suffering, I still feel I am one of the lucky ones, as some are shell shocked, which means they have been killed, as ignorantly this disease has not to be regonised, which means it is being mistaken and instead they are being shot, as the cowards they most certainly are not.
- Sentence too long. Full stop after "lucky ones".
- "some are shell shocked, which means they have been killed" ??? killed how, mentally?
- RECOGNISED.
- Last bit doesn't make sense.
I carry on, using the photograph I have of you and the girls, who help me, continue on this horrendous journey
I carry on, using the photograph of you and the girls to help me continue on this horrendous journey.
which is very bizarre really but also very close to the truth
bizarre not the best word in this context. remove "really".
Speaking of the battle, things have changed dramatically for the worse.....it has led to sheer boredom
is that really "dramatic"??
we where gassed
we were gassed
I hope this letter is received
I hope this letter finds you
my honesty is respected
eh? its his wife, not his lawyer
look after yourself and the kids
kids is a bit modern, use children.
growing daily. For it is ....
use a commar instead of full stop.
I hope this letter reaches you in good time, if at all
scratch that, if you want to have the time thing put in, do it at the start of the paragraph "I hope this letter finds you, and in good time, ...."
Old 27-10-2008, 03:21 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ballin is obviously bored, a student or un-employed
Old 27-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Brilliant! I owe you, big time. Thank you very much.

Benni.
Old 27-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Ballin is obviously bored, a student or un-employed
I couldn't care what he is, he's a god to me.

Benni.
Old 27-10-2008, 03:25 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

lol, bored at work
you're welcome Benni!
Old 27-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by ballin
lol, bored at work
you're welcome Benni!
Seriously, I owe you. Some of my mistakes like Where and were are very basic, I knew that. But then some of the others, I would never of worded like that, so thanks.

Benni.
Old 27-10-2008, 03:40 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

np dude, its just my opinion as well so may not necessarily be correct!
Old 27-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by ballin
np dude, its just my opinion as well so may not necessarily be correct!
I'll let you know as my tutor will correct it and then I rewrite it. Here's where all you said is wrong, LOL. Joke.

Benni.