General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Wheres a good place to read up on Subarus?

Search this Thread

Old 13-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Aaroncast
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daveysaff
I *think* I've just got permission to buy an Impreza, not a cossie but better than a Puma.
Need to read up on them before I think about it seriously though, any recommended reading?
WHAT DO YOU MEAN THINK YOU HAVE PERMISSION!!
ARE YOU CONFINED TO THE MENTAL HEALTH ACT IN ANYWAY!!!!
Old 13-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Registered on scoobynet last night, i'll have a looksie later on
Old 13-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Ginge !
yeah,,, buy the alloy wishbones, brakes, rear tie bars, suspension, alloy bonnet are just a few things

ps: you car looks a MILLION times better than mine HAS to be said !!!
Thank you. Havn't seen yours...

Old 13-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Originally Posted by Aaroncast
WHAT DO YOU MEAN THINK YOU HAVE PERMISSION!!
ARE YOU CONFINED TO THE MENTAL HEALTH ACT IN ANYWAY!!!!
No, just owned by my missus
I proved her right in everyway when I bought the saff. so she holds the purse strings now
Old 13-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

though i dont have the rl7's on there at the min, ive got white 17ins speedlines

ive just bought a later grill for mine, gonna look at another bumper like yours so if you hear of any,,,, or fancy writing your motor off try not to damage the bumper
Old 13-10-2008, 08:43 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Certainly don't discount the UK2000 Turbo!

I have a 95 STI RA with a few mods and it does indeed fly but I also have a MY00 UK turbo and it's a great car. Yes the UK car is low on power but the beauty of the 99/00 cars are they can be remapped with ecutek. This model with the usual mods (exhaust system, panel filter) and an ECUTEK remap of the stock ECU will see a solid 280/290bhp on the std TD04 turbo.

The 99/00 also has 440cc injectors and a better sized intercooler and if you were to add a 2nd hand VF35 (or similar) turbo (circa Ł200 of scoobynet 2nd hand) as well as the above mods you'll have circa 320bhp.

I've had lots of Imprezas (STI's, RA's, WRX's, UK's, Type R's etc) and I'd reccomend a low mileage UK or Euro Turbo over the rest, then add a few mods to have a low lag 280/290bhp or a bigger blower for 320bhp. The insurance on my uk turbo is Ł400 fully comp for me and the mrs for starters!

The MY99/00 engine is a lovely unit too, mine sounds A1 even on the coldest morning.. the V3/V4 is a noisey begger on cold starts (piston slap)
Old 13-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

theres a few from the ring trip
Old 13-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

OK, I can see we can show-off now. One of my company scoobies

The thing is bloody animal and still retains aircon etc and can be driven on road
Old 13-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by jameswrx
.. the V3/V4 is a noisey begger on cold starts (piston slap)
fucking tell me about it,,,,, though the sub i got seems to solve that issue,,,,,,,,, neighbour dont complain either,,,, as i aint spoke to them since i got the impreza pmsl
Old 13-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ginge: you have huuuuge bodyroll, you need some anti-roll bars at least.
Old 13-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

azreal...... my impreza has aircon but its wank has to be said

so i think im gonna ripp it out
Old 13-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

fucking tell me about it,,,,, though the sub i got seems to solve that issue,,,,,,,,, neighbour dont complain either,,,, as i aint spoke to them since i got the impreza pmsl
It was actually warranty recall on some V4, and they replaced short-blocks on these. But most of the ones I see are OK. (Not that I see many classics in good shape nowadays, most are sheds, as well as most bugeyes).
Old 13-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

standard suspension and i use the tyres to help scrub some speed off when i come in the corner too fast also

but yes the body roll is SHITE,,, its also WAY WAY WAY too high at the front

im looking for coil overs but cant bring my self to part with 1000 for coilovers,,,,, then 300 quid on bushes AT TRADE and then another grand on roll bars/ALK

though its gonna come at some point

waiting for some ebay special deal to arrive
Old 13-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mines terrible for piston slap.... never noticed it till i forgot when i left the face for my stereo,,, checked the oil and stoped using if for a month as i thought the engine was fucked but it shuts up when cold ( well the exhaust dont but thats ANOTHER conversation)

if you know of any suspension stuff going about PLEASE think of me,,,,, as you can see i need it more than others do,,,, HONEST
Old 13-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I may be not the most objective person but we sell all these things and you can't get it wrong with a set of whiteline ARBs. Try these, it's not massive money and it should handle A LOT better. In our stg 1 "turning package" we have ARBs, ARB links, antilift kit and steering rack mounts.

Believe it's a compatly different car with these, I know what I am talking about as I have driven them in all stages of tune from STD to a rallycar..
Old 13-10-2008, 08:55 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wrx > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX

sti >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Impreza_WRX_STI

Not all you need to know but a good source of info.

My advice after owning one for a few years,go for the best you can afford,make sure its standard where possible(forgeting exhaust) make sure it has full service history with cambelt change (Ł250 there abouts) make sure theres no engine managment light iluminated,(a simple o2 sensor will throw this up and on the 2000-2003 model is Ł145 to buy alone)

When you drive it make sure of no knocking from the back end,depending on what model it is, they had a knock where rear suspension wasnt right(cant remember for what reason,but subaru were adament it wasnt a problem-bull shit) make sure theres no water marks around the radiator as these were prone to splitting plastic end caps,make sure clutch is good, youre looking at a possible Ł450 plus to get a desent one fitted.

Make sure it revs ok,depending on which of the later version you drive,if you red line it the engine light may come on,this is a know fault with the cam position sensor,not cheap to fix couple hunded pounds dependin on who does it.
Brake pads Ł100 upwards, plugs about Ł60 a set.
Rag it and you might get 10mpg, take your time and you may get 28ish mpg.( i got 8mpg at worst and 28 on a run)

Any knocking from the engine walk away although some models did have a slight piston slap from cold,if it went away after 2 or 3 mins then it isnt a problem.
Dont believe all the bollocks about chocolate pistons,if its been set up correctly,then there shouldnt be too much of a problem,its usually down to DIY modding and bad fueling that melts a piston

Try to avoid launching to many times although it really really is good fun

really can think of much else,although there probably is....

Last edited by st3v3; 13-10-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 13-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if you know of any suspension stuff going about PLEASE think of me,,,,, as you can see i need it more than others do,,,, HONEST
I have 500 000 quid worth of suspension and other stuff for Imrpeza and Evo in the werehouse LOL... I can't be of much help as to second-hand parts in the UK as I am quite far away.
Old 13-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

oh for brakes i HIGHLY recomend the mintex 1155 pads,,, got them in mine and there the fucking BEST ive ever done !

rads DO split,,,,, mine did but there only 100 quid tops from nissens,, cheeper some place ( paied 50 quid for mine new)

engine knock instead of walking away i would be tempted to buy a deal and slap another engine in it,,,,,, they are gonna end up dead anyway

azreal.... also if you got any ecu;s for a 97/98 sti remember me as i need one also

the whiteline kit IS gonna be fitted before i next go germany,,,,but im waiting for the right price then if that dont happen then ill get one last min
Old 13-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Crowder
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

get an evo! drive cars of the same age evo5 onwards u will understand soon enough!
Old 13-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

oh for brakes i HIGHLY recomend the mintex 1155 pads,,, got them in mine and there the fucking BEST ive ever done !
this is because you never tried CArbone Lorraine

azreal.... also if you got any ecu;s for a 97/98 sti remember me as i need one also
I am working on some deal with guys who are working on reprogrsammable board for ver 3/4, but the old cars very rally come to us now anyways so there is no pressure really. I will try to remember about you if they get to make this dauther board for ver 3/4 work. we wllbe mapping ver 1 on their product soon so we'll see how it works.

the whiteline kit IS gonna be fitted before i next go germany,,,,but im waiting for the right price then if that dont happen then ill get one last min
You could perhaps try us at www.4turbo.eu which should be the link to the english site (which is unfortunately terribly outdated) but I don't think it would make sense, as we import that from the UK. Anyway try the setup with alloy ARB links. You will thank me
Old 13-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Ginge - That's tidy , and exactly what I'm looking to pick up for a winter project with the intention of doing track days next spring. Just going to keep it garaged and add to it constantly as money allows.
Old 17-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i never ment to keep mine tbh, just its such fun to drive that i cant bring myself to sell it, the only car i will replace it with would be a evo like sib's tbh,,,,,, but im not gonna as ive just bought a few more things for this motor,,,, though im not allowed anymore wheels cause 6 sets is too much the missus recons :roll eyes: