General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Wheres a good place to read up on Subarus?

Search this Thread

Old 13-10-2008, 12:20 AM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheres a good place to read up on Subarus?

I *think* I've just got permission to buy an Impreza, not a cossie but better than a Puma.
Need to read up on them before I think about it seriously though, any recommended reading?
Old 13-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

scoobynet?
Old 13-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

That just occurred to me as I posted that
Old 13-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Well just glad i helped
Old 13-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

http://bbs.22b.com/ is an excelent forum on Subarus, maybe it's not huge but there are a lot of experts there.

NASIOC -> the US forum is also sometimes interesting beccause it is so huge, you can find there many various things which cannot be found anywhere.
Old 13-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing to read up about

if buying a classic ONLY buy a sti or if your feeling flush a sti type ra ( not that much more tbh)

insurance will kill you, fuel wont be much better either

not listen to ANYONE who tells you hes turbo 2000 is almost as quick as a sti,,,,, there subaru's version of granada cossie drivers IMO

versin 4 has the "better" dash

ive got a version 3 which has the facelift front but the "ugley" dash

oh and its sooo much fun to drive,,,, that ive never bothered selling it and i use it when ever i can
Old 13-10-2008, 06:41 PM
rst-g
ZETEC TURBO

dave you turncoat LOL

Trending Topics

Old 13-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

and ver 5 and 6 has the better ECU.... There is quite a lot to kow about them, different model years have different boxes, diffs.
Old 13-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

yeah v3/v4 has the shite ecu that you cant do fuck all with !!!!

anoying to say the least !!!
Old 13-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It should be possible to get a plug-in daughter board which is live reprogramable soon. they already make them for Ver 1-2.
Old 13-10-2008, 07:20 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whats wrong with a Classic uk turbo or a jdm wrx ??, i have had a wrx ra and a wrx sti type ra basically version 1 type ra and version 2 type ra, also had a prodrive,a standard uk spec 2000,and i have had a rally car, i loved the uk versions as they run cheep fuel and its not a worry not finding high octane juice,also the uk car is better economy wise,i have had quite a few subarus sometimes 2 at the same time so ican compare.
i have at the mo a peach of a jdm version 2 1996 and its just a lovely reliable fast car.the jdm dashes on the version 1 and 2 are imo the best looking,infact the version 1 and 2 are the best looking impreza ever
heres my subaru,dunno why i want to sell it ??? oh yeh its the evo 9 im after

Old 13-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Maybe we should wait till Dave says what he is after? After all he may want new Impreza-Lanos MY08 or smth
Old 13-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Azrael
It should be possible to get a plug-in daughter board which is live reprogramable soon. they already make them for Ver 1-2.
not if you got a v3 sti with a mines ecu it aint

cozzfather, the uk 2000 is ALOT slower than a sti i PROMISE you, ive driven both and the bloke who was convincing me they aint drove mine and admits theres ALOT of difference with em..... if i drove a uk 2000 i doubt i would have bought a scoobie as i was looking for a M3 at the time...... which also bored me to tears
Old 13-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ginge !
nothing to read up about

if buying a classic ONLY buy a sti or if your feeling flush a sti type ra ( not that much more tbh)

insurance will kill you, fuel wont be much better either

not listen to ANYONE who tells you hes turbo 2000 is almost as quick as a sti,,,,, there subaru's version of granada cossie drivers IMO

versin 4 has the "better" dash

ive got a version 3 which has the facelift front but the "ugley" dash

oh and its sooo much fun to drive,,,, that ive never bothered selling it and i use it when ever i can
Ginge is spot on with all of that apart from the last bit Unless it's a big power sti they are boring to drive compared to 2 wheel drive cossies. My sister has a 265 bhp classic wrx and it feels so slow compared to mine, very nice car though.

That might be more to do with the fact I can't stand 4 wheel drive though In the wet it's great fun.
Old 13-10-2008, 07:32 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

gingey at no point did i say a uk turbo is faster than a sti, i have had sti's that would and did kick some very fast cars arses, my point is a uk turbo is still a fast car and is cheeper to run,i got rid of a highly modifed sti that come from teg sport as the prodrive one i had at the same time was a nicer car and more economical.
not every one wants a banzai impreza, sometimes its better to have a more comfortable car than a car ready for motorsport
Old 13-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Standard MY'00 european spec is a very nice car for daily use.
Old 13-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by cozzfather
, sometimes its better to have a more comfortable car than a car ready for motorsport
imprezas aint a comfortable car though, driving position is shite, the angled up seat and the front with alcantara seats means you always pulling your trousers forward or you start singing like allied jones on helium, back of the seat aint comfy either, electric window aint in a good position either

now if you want a comfy car then start looking at comfy cars,,,,,, you want fuel economy then dont even thing about buying a impreza,,,,, the only way to get over 20mpg is to pour a gallon OVER the car, set it on fire and get the recovery bloke to tow the remains

imprezas are NOT comfy to drive,,,,, they are ok and you can live with it but the exhaust is too fucking loud and the suspension is too harsh,,,, and i got standard shox on mine pmsl

considering the price of insurance, parts, fuel, comfort and getting someone whos willing to change the plugs let alone the leaking rocker cover,,,, if your looking for a car that does that my i recomend a Golf gt tdi honestly

a impreza also comes with the shite image aswell as 12 year old kids riding there bikes infront of it so you have to smack the brakes to see all the kid wanted to say was " nice car mate"

oh and EVERYONE wants to race you,,,,,, even fucking busses who dont let you pass them
Old 13-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I don't know which Imprezas you have driven, but some of the classic models have the best seats there are. Maybe the new Recaros from 08 model are as comfy. The only problem with driving position may be the steering wheel being too fat but that can be solved easily. I have done a lot of kilometers on all models of Subarus from 1991 Legacies to STI 08 and if they are not too modyfied they are really nice drives.
Old 13-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ive driven a few different cars, was driving my mates jag on saturday, done all the journey and never crushed my balls.... went to mansfield sunday, which is half the distance,,,,, always having to adjust my jeans when they seem to get grabbed and squeeze my sack

i LOVE my impreza, honestly i do but it aint a comfy car to drive,, droneing noise is the main reason

120 in a 08 jag and we was having a conversation,,,,,, 120 in the impreza and we was shouting at each other
Old 13-10-2008, 07:58 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

my comfy impreza, its ssssssssssoooooooooooo comfy,it has comfortable suspension,a exhaust that isn't too rumbly,and compared to type ra's a hell of a lot more economical,i would drive mine anywhere

Old 13-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Some of the replies on this thread are just plain misinformation.

I have an Impreza UK Turbo Terzo. It's a Uk limited edition which is essentially just a dressed up UK Turbo. It's 98 car with an Apexi Ecu which has been mapped(because as ginge says, you can't map 97-98 cars). However, I now have a car that has the same peak bhp as a Sti, but is slightly quicker thanks to excellent mapping.

So I now have a car that is quicker than an Sti, but that is a good bit cheaper to insure, even with mods declared - as it's a UK car, not an import.

Picking up a set of eibach springs firms things up.

The 99 onwards uk cars have better 4 pot brakes from the Sti, and they are really essential, so I would definetly recommend a 99-00. These can also be mapped, so no need to buy an aftermarket ecu.

I have posted this simply to give a fair comparison. I am, in fact currently looking for an Sti, as they are obviously a better platform to start tuning from(stronger engine). But a well tuned Uk turbo with the right supporting mods would see 350bhp, and if mapped by a reputable mapper, it will be safe at that power - although your gearbox may not.

So it's up to you really. You can either spend more money on insurance(Sti), or more money on mods(UK Turbo).

Alan
Old 13-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have gone from Warsaw to Spain (Ibiza) and back in 1998 Impreza turbo (eu-spec) with a catback. And the only problem with it really was that we had to refuel every 3,5 hours or so on the autobahn. i don't know what is wrong with the car you described but we could easily talk and listen to music.
Old 13-10-2008, 08:06 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

when you talk about sti's remember there is a sti and a sti type ra and theres a big differance between them
Old 13-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Alan_D
Some of the replies on this thread are just plain misinformation.

I have an Impreza UK Turbo Terzo. It's a Uk limited edition which is essentially just a dressed up UK Turbo. It's 98 car with an Apexi Ecu which has been mapped(because as ginge says, you can't map 97-98 cars). However, I now have a car that has the same peak bhp as a Sti, but is slightly quicker thanks to excellent mapping.

So I now have a car that is quicker than an Sti, but that is a good bit cheaper to insure, even with mods declared - as it's a UK car, not an import.

Picking up a set of eibach springs firms things up.

The 99 onwards uk cars have better 4 pot brakes from the Sti, and they are really essential, so I would definetly recommend a 99-00. These can also be mapped, so no need to buy an aftermarket ecu.

I have posted this simply to give a fair comparison. I am, in fact currently looking for an Sti, as they are obviously a better platform to start tuning from(stronger engine). But a well tuned Uk turbo with the right supporting mods would see 350bhp, and if mapped by a reputable mapper, it will be safe at that power - although your gearbox may not.

So it's up to you really. You can either spend more money on insurance(Sti), or more money on mods(UK Turbo).

Alan

ive notice that owners of uk cars seem to be the ones defending them,,,,, but also seem to end up BUYING a sti in the end anyway,,,, whats that tell you

though insurance IS a bitch on the sti,,,, REAL bitch too has to be said
Old 13-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The 99 onwards uk cars have better 4 pot brakes from the Sti, and they are really essential, so I would definetly recommend a 99-00.

there are so many new age calipers on themarket you can change them on older car easily. I wouldn't dare to drive turbo car with 2-pots as they don't work at all.

There is no point in tuning a classic Impreza to 350bhp unless only the shell stays asnd everything is swapped, as will drown in braken transmissions, diffs, shafts etc. It's cheaper to buy new age STi car. Exhaust, fuel pump and remap and the 99/00 car will be as quick as you really need it on the road. It won't be good for proper sport driving without different diffs, ARB's, brakes, box so there is no point. If you want crazily fast car you but and STI to start with or start with N/A shell and put everything new. But this is costly and then again it's cheaper to just buy Evo 9
Old 13-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Azrael
there are so many new age calipers on themarket you can change them on older car easily. I wouldn't dare to drive turbo car with 2-pots as they don't work at all.

There is no point in tuning a classic Impreza to 350bhp unless only the shell stays asnd everything is swapped, as will drown in braken transmissions, diffs, shafts etc. It's cheaper to buy new age STi car. Exhaust, fuel pump and remap and the 99/00 car will be as quick as you really need it on the road. It won't be good for proper sport driving without different diffs, ARB's, brakes, box so there is no point. If you want crazily fast car you but and STI to start with or start with N/A shell and put everything new. But this is costly and then again it's cheaper to just buy Evo 9
I agree with that. Although there are a few people on Scoobynet who run 350bhp uk cars without replacing much. It's purely down to driving style.

Ginge - I'm not defending anything: simply pointing out the options as the OP asked. Now if he had said "tell me why an Sti is super duper amazing, but not comfy", I could understand where you are coming from.
Old 13-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by cozzfather
when you talk about sti's remember there is a sti and a sti type ra and theres a big differance between them

i went for a sti as the RA has got a box thats geared for XRT-Si,,,,, i spend alot of time doing 120 to 145 on motorways so a RA wasnt a great choice for me,,,, though in hind sight i would have been ALOT better off buying a sti RA and swopping the box !

as said i LOVE my car,,, its PERFECT for me in most ways,,, but its NOT economical ( done 70 litres of fuel in 230 miles yesturday. done 30 quid in fuel in my mates jag doing twice the distance !!!) its not what i deam as a comfortable car,,,, though it is better than a citroen zx or a fiesta ill admit

but thats not what the car is,,,, its a FUN FUN FUN toy, thats what i love about it, just having fun launching off the lights, tearing round roundabouts on a roads,,,,, motorways sitting at 120 then squeezing the pedal and get to 150 in not alot of time moving the BMW lot out the way,,,, though merc drivers dont seem to EVER fuck off out the way the tossers
Old 13-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I agree with that. Although there are a few people on Scoobynet who run 350bhp uk cars without replacing much. It's purely down to driving style.
There is no point in having 350bhp and not using it. Without the diffs it's pointless anyway as it will spin inner front on the corner exit.
Old 13-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Ginge - Do you have a FMIC?
Old 13-10-2008, 08:17 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

ive notice that owners of uk cars seem to be the ones defending them
horses for courses imo, if you want rally fast get a sti ra,if you want faster and some nice comfort get a sti,if you just want one and can't be bothered about all out performance and want reliability and cheeper running costs get a uk turbo,if you want a nice spec car thats quicker than a standard uk turbo and has better seats,dash etc get a jdm wrx.
there is a prodrive kit that was available and in full prodrive trim were faster than a group a prodrive impreza, well faster on a straight road as the group a rally car would of killed it on a tarmac or forest stage.

things changed after the version 1 and 2, you could get type ra's with all sorts of shit like electric windows c/l etc, a sti went down the production line as a special order car and was built according to the spec required ogf the customer
Old 13-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thats down to people not driving them hard,, the ones who race upto 60mph then hit the brakes

uk cars seem a better option but as azreal pointed out,, theres more than just a chip and springs to a sti

open the bonnet on your car,,,,, honestly try it then open mine

not that i need to open my bonnet much apart from charging my battery pmsl
Old 13-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

thats down to people not driving them hard,, the ones who race upto 60mph then hit the brakes

uk cars seem a better option but as azreal pointed out,, theres more than just a chip and springs to a sti

open the bonnet on your car,,,,, honestly try it then open mine

not that i need to open my bonnet much apart from charging my battery pmsl
Not much different under there to visibly see other than red intake manifold on the Sti.
Old 13-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Ginge - Do you have a FMIC?
i dont, i got a sti 8 top mount fitted to mine but its hard to notice as the owner made a subtle mod to the bonnet and so even though its quite big you cant tell due to the vent pmsl

i keep thinking about getting one,,,,,, but the pipe work puts me off it
Old 13-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

IF I bought one, (It would be her car and not mine) It would be a daily car that I would occasionally take out for a blast, i've driven a few classic shape scoobs and found them pretty comfy but laggy as fuck, ie no boost until 4/4.5k compared to my old saff that started pulling at 2.5 but i suppose thats down to mapping.
She only likes them for the noise, I like driving quick cars so would be a nice compromise
Would only have about £1500 plus whatever the R plate Puma's worth so bottom of the barrel cars really, but there's always bargains to be had!
Old 13-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Not much different under there to visibly see other than red intake manifold on the Sti.
yeah,,, buy the alloy wishbones, brakes, rear tie bars, suspension, alloy bonnet are just a few things

ps: you car looks a MILLION times better than mine HAS to be said !!!
Old 13-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ver 5 and 6 european cars have very little lag. It should be great car for her. There are quite a few things that commonly go wrong on them but they are very reliable in my experience if not used for rallying, track days or drag racing.
Old 13-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

laggy ???

ive yet to find a impreza thats laggy,,,,,,, if anything it needs a bit more higher up in the rev range !
Old 13-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Daveysaff
IF I bought one, (It would be her car and not mine) It would be a daily car that I would occasionally take out for a blast, i've driven a few classic shape scoobs and found them pretty comfy but laggy as fuck, ie no boost until 4/4.5k compared to my old saff that started pulling at 2.5 but i suppose thats down to mapping.
She only likes them for the noise, I like driving quick cars so would be a nice compromise
Would only have about £1500 plus whatever the R plate Puma's worth so bottom of the barrel cars really, but there's always bargains to be had!
It's hard to say really. Other people have posted good points on this thread. I've spent alot of money on mine, and I'm happy with the performance. Tiny turbo, so at full boost by 3k rpm I'd say. Getting good boost before that.

I don't think I would be happy with a standard UK Turbo now...so maybe it's not such a good option - since you say you'd take it out a "blast"...and I don't think you'd have much of a blast in a standard one. On the other hand, if it's going to be mostly driven by your missus, does it really matter?

ahhhh, so many decisions!

A good idea would be to get on to scoobynet, as already suggested. See you there.
Old 13-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Last one I drove had nothing until just over 4k! The puma felt quicker Was a bog std car with over 140k on it though, so it may have been a bit tired
Old 13-10-2008, 08:30 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

got to agree with the ginger one they are fun and reliable fun imo, for the money they are the performance car bargain of the moment.

you probably won't lose money on a good 1500 quid wrx saloon too

Quick Reply: Wheres a good place to read up on Subarus?