General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Quick Fuel Pump Electric Q..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Hofajoab
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Fuel Pump Electric Q..

..on behalf of a mate!

here's the deal, rebuilt head, works a good'n, was stuck in traffic for a while, started to overheat (not drastically though) as the fans didn't seem to operate. Anyway, nearly home he guns it down the street, nearly into 3rd gear and the car just conks-out.

The car wouldn't start as the fuel pump ain't priming/operating. So we checked the connector on the fuel pump and it says it was shorted (closed-circuit), but we tested the pump out on a battery and it operates normally. There's no 12v constant feed going to the fuel pump fuse/relay in the fusebox but the fuel pump relay is clicking so i presume the ECU is still operating normally. Just want to know, as there's no 12v feed even going to the fuse, where's the fault likely to be? i mean melted wire grounded itself or something? i think the feed goes straight from the 12v BUSBAR in the fusebox straight to the fuse so i reckon it must be there but havn't checked yet.

There's a big green relay behind the dash but not sure what it's for, any ideas?

Btw, it's a 1.8 CFi sierra sapphire, k plate.

i would rather find the fault but if we can't would it be advisable to run a 12v feed to the fuse direct from the BUSBAR again until such times as we can investigate it more?
Old 13-11-2004, 04:13 PM
JesseT
PassionFord Post Troll

Firstly, the pump should read as a closed circuit. Secondly, did you check the pump kill swithc in the spare tire well?
Old 13-11-2004, 04:47 PM
HYBRiD_T
Regular Contributor

I think its the yellow 4 pin relay next to the red one in the fuse box under the bonnet.

I agree with JesseT. Check the inertia switch in the spare wheel well. If this don't work, grab yourself a multimeter. With the ignition ON, remove the fuel pump relay and connect one of the multimeter probes to a good earth. Touch the other probe to all of the terminals on the relay plug, one by one. You should get one permanent live and one ignition live (reading near enough battery voltage). Then switch the ignition OFF and switch the multimeter to ohms. Connect the meter between a good earth and one of the remaining relay plug terminals followed by the next one and earth. One reading should be a lot higher than the other (the one with the higher resistance goes to the fuel pump, the other is the relay earth). With the ignition on insert the relay and connect the probes between the earth wire and a good earth. You should get a reading of less than 0.3 volts.

Let me know what u find.

Kind regards

Paul
Old 13-11-2004, 04:56 PM
pugo
Advanced PassionFord User

its the yellow one under the passenger side dash, there is also a fuse mounted down there for it!
meter across the cut off in the boot though as this (as said earlier) is normally the main cause

HTH
Pugo