General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

help ! any bmw techy's out there

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:17 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help ! any bmw techy's out there

got a 525d 54 plate , had a gearbox leak on it so had the gearbox sump gasket replaced , ever since i got it back last week it has been a bit jerky when changing gears , anyway not had chance to get it back to garage one reason or another , on way home tonight on motorway , get a message flash up on i drive transmission fault reduce acceleration , so i did , pull off motorway and at the lights it struggles to pull away , feels like a manual with clutch slipping , is the box or torque convertorf*cked , could it just need topping up , by the time i got home it would hardly move . could it be caused by the garage not replacing enough fluid ? only says put 3 litre of dexron oil on reciept is this right ?

any advice or help would be appreciated , i'm hoping someone will say ho don't worry its just in limp home mode , but if i didn't have bad luck i'd have none at the moment .

cheers
gaz .
Old 06-10-2008, 09:23 PM
danvisteon
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

sounds like low oil or just a possible gearbox software fault not that uncommon but if the gasket has been changed it is a possiblity that who ever did it was rushing and didn't addhere to the correct refill procedure which takes a bit of time and also would cost the tech time and possibly bonus it happens a lot believe me also a lump of the old gasket may have got sucked up into the strainer blocking off oil supply what ever happens take it back to dealer and kick off also say that you are really not happy and if it is not resolved free of charge you will lodge a complaint with BMW UK customer service that always worked for customers and the BMW dealer i worked at
hope this helps
Old 06-10-2008, 09:32 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

it wasn't a main dealer just a back street garage were work send all the cars ? u think it'l just need topping up then ? no lasting damage ? you've put my mind at ease a bit anyway , if the box was knackered would it have just packed in completetly , would you risk driving it to garage or get garage to recover it ?

thanks for promt reply
Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 PM
cozzymatt
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

think you might have to use bmw specific fluid...
Old 06-10-2008, 09:57 PM
danvisteon

dexron oil is no good mate i believe it is bmw LT4 oil which goes in it which is lifetime oil get it recovered mate and get them to flush it through with the proper oil clear fault memory and should be ok, don't drive it as you may damage the valve chest as it it sensative to oil viscosity and if you bugger the gearbox you are looking at about 3 grand to sort it
Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by cozzymatt
think you might have to use bmw specific fluid...
i'l put that too them also , its a freindly garage so hopefully they will just sort the problem , its only been like this since they did the gasket so .......

cheers .
Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by danvisteon
dexron oil is no good mate i believe it is bmw LT4 oil which goes in it which is lifetime oil get it recovered mate and get them to flush it through with the proper oil clear fault memory and should be ok, don't drive it as you may damage the valve chest as it it sensative to oil viscosity and if you bugger the gearbox you are looking at about 3 grand to sort it
how much should it hold , 3 litres would only be a top up anyway surley , i've read 10 litres is a full oil change ? just want to be armed with a few facts ?

Last edited by gaz4x4cos; 06-10-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: missed out letters
Old 06-10-2008, 10:12 PM
danvisteon

should be about 4/5 litres depends if they emptied the torque converter which i wouldn't think they would but they will have to now as the dexron will have mixed with the lifetime oil in the torque converter so it is now a mish mash of different oil grades which will upset the oil pressures in the gearbox and will as it has send it into limp home but a full oil change would be about 7 litres ish or about £150 in oil
Old 06-10-2008, 10:16 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

thanks for your help m8 , will get them to sort it now i know what to tell them .

cheers
gaz .