General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

SVA tests for kit cars/quads/enduro bikes.........

Search this Thread

Old 30-09-2008, 09:04 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SVA tests for kit cars/quads/enduro bikes.........

Ok does anyone know the exact law on this as it seems to be a bit of a grey area according to some. Im looking at buying a 'road legal' enduro bike, and have been told differing stories by different people.

Ive been to see some official bikes (pre reg old models) sold through yamaha with all road kit, and also some later models elsewhere that literally just have a front light and a number plate. Yamaha tell me the the last homogolated fully road legal bikes were 05/06 models, and any after that (the new model 07 onwards), will all be converted or have just applied for a log book, and are not actually fully road legal.

I know when my mate was looking for a quad it was a bit wishy washy too.

Anyone know the exact law on this? Will the official ones from yamaha actually have an sva test, and do they actually need one to be FULLY legal on the road, even if sold through yamaha. What about the 07 models, can you just apply for a log book and away you go?

Cheers, Rich.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:45 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

bttt

Im really struggling to find solid answers to this. Ive spoke to a few people today and have once again heard totally different things. Some say they dont need an sva test and some say they do or there not fully road legal.

Just spoke to yamaha and they said they did a few homogolated models that were fully approved for the road, but they were not prepared to commit themselves to answer on whether or not the ones with just a reg document and number were fully legal, so im no further forward really.

Maybe theres some police officers on here that might know a bit more on this???

Bascially, all i want to know is, if i get pulled over, would i be fully legal or not on the ones with just a reg, front light and brake light, without actually having an sva test?

Cheers.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok it must DEFINATLY be a grey area if not one single person on here knows either.

I also tried 2 different test stations earlier, one said yes you need an sva, and the other said no you dont.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:33 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ring our national vosa helpline, or ask your local vosa center who would carry out the sva if needed
we do sva a few of quads at exeter, but its not an easy question to answer tbh, but i would think you would need an sva...as its not type approved is it?

Last edited by JTECH James; 01-10-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF
ring our national vosa helpline, or ask your local vosa center who would carry out the sva if needed
we do sva a few of quads at exeter, but its not an easy question to answer tbh, but i would think you would need an sva...as its not type approved is it?
Cheers mate, thats a good idea, ill ring vosa in the morning. If it definatly needs an sva, then i dont think it will be worth buying one and putting it through an sva as ive been quoted Ł500-Ł800 for the test.

Seems alot of money to me, they already have the front and rear lights, so its only a speedo (which again, many have), a horn, indicators and brake light.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

the sva test isnt that much, but making the vehicle pass my do....you can get it tested by us yourself, and do the work,

no need to pay someone else to do it tbh
Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF
the sva test isnt that much, but making the vehicle pass my do....you can get it tested by us yourself, and do the work,

no need to pay someone else to do it tbh
Do you know exactly whats involved on the test mate? I could put all the stuff on myself no problem if thats allowed as you say. Do you know how much the test itself is then mate? Cheers
Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

From Vosa website;

Motorcycle single vehicle approval

Fee during normal working hours for
Two wheeled vehicle (including motorcycle and sidecar) Ł78.00
Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

its a fairly involved test, includes things like height of lights, noise, speedo caliberation, etc,

fyi, the sva wont be around much longer, its being changed to a new iva test.so, if your going to do it, do it soon, as the iva is much more expensive, and has more involved in the test

Last edited by JTECH James; 01-10-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:06 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers.

For anyone else thats interested, ive just phoned VOSA and spoke to the SVA department specifically. They said that 'enduro and trials bikes are not required to have an SVA test whether used in competition, and/or on road'.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default FAO MOT testers.........

Ok, after finding out the bikes im looking at will ot need an SVA test, i thought i better ask about MOT requirements, as a few of the bikes im interested in are due fairly soon.

They all have a front light so thats no problem, but what about mirrors, horn, indicators, brake light etc etc.

I assume ill need a brake light, but as for the others, is it a case of if they ARE fitted they have to work, so if i dont have them its no problem????

Tried ringing vosa and i have to email one of those stupid automated robots!

Cheers.