General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Alpine White E46 M3 on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 25-09-2008, 02:30 AM
F1
passionford user

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine White E46 M3 on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-E46-M3-in...QQcmdZViewItem

just browsing through ebay and saw this

looking at the mileage, it says 107k.

whats peoples views on this mileage on the car/engine/SMG-gearbox? does anyone own one? or experienced a drive in one with these kind of miles? would there be anything in particular to look out for? obviously this example has been painted, so i dont think there will be any problems with the bodywork

wondering what the SMG gearbox would be like after those miles, and what else to note that may wear on them other than regular things to look out for? from what i understand M3 engines are pretty strong, and the S54 won international engine of the year in 2001 (read this bit from wikipedia so might be false )

i have seen E36 M3's with well over 100k miles and quite a few with 150k+ that seem to be still going strong, and going for strong money too

i would guess that a car of this age would have had all its minor defects/faults ironed out in the first 3-5yrs after being sold to its original owner, and any recalls or anything of the sort would have been done at an earlier stage in its life

would be interested in what people think about it, and as to how much its worth? does a respray in non original colour devalue the car? or because its Alpine White, would that make it far more desirable than other normal colours with white being the IN thing at the moment?
colour wouldnt bother me, for me it would be a plus point when buying

thinking of putting in a bid, am i letting myself in for some trouble?
Old 25-09-2008, 06:10 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That does look the absolute nuts but to part with that kind of money with that kind of car kind of frightens me..... Why would someone fully repaint an e46 M3 unless it has had some kind of damage perhaps, or the paint was bad. Also how good has the respray been, no pics of the engine bay so has it been painted under there?

Engine wise i wouldve thought if it had full BMW service history then it would be fine, i drive my missus's dad 5 series BMW sometimes, that has 145k on it and drives like new!!

Nice motor but be wairy, very wairy!
Old 25-09-2008, 04:55 PM
F1
passionford user

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cfoster
That does look the absolute nuts but to part with that kind of money with that kind of car kind of frightens me..... Why would someone fully repaint an e46 M3 unless it has had some kind of damage perhaps, or the paint was bad. Also how good has the respray been, no pics of the engine bay so has it been painted under there?

Engine wise i wouldve thought if it had full BMW service history then it would be fine, i drive my missus's dad 5 series BMW sometimes, that has 145k on it and drives like new!!

Nice motor but be wairy, very wairy!
thank you for your input i originally saw this very same car when it was black, for sale on ebay around 2 months ago (or maybe less time)
im quite sure there was no accident damage, and i think its been repainted by the owners choice (the car was probably in a crap state due to its mileage) 107k, guess you have to expect some scratches, scrapes and dents the previous time it was on ebay when it was black, the owner at the time described it to be mint condition, but you could make out some marks etc... in the pictures!!!

i personally think that as long as the outer paint job is good, i wouldnt mind myself. if its not done under the bonnet, thats no big thing for me, as long as the rest of it looks ok. but guess that everyones different and some others might not have the same opinion

so you think £11k is expensive for it then? is hard to put a value on it, im not sure whether to bid or not will have to make a last minute decision is supposed to be a good time to buy, and a bad time to sell
Old 25-09-2008, 04:58 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

That looks identical to my mate's!!!!
Old 25-09-2008, 05:02 PM
JK99
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wouldn't pay £11k+ for that age of car and with a colour change.

You can pick up 2002 models for near-on £10k with lower miles and the Manual box etc.

Looks nice but you've also got to think it'll be a pig to sell on. Probably why it's on e-bay now as not many people will know how reliable a 100k+ E46 is yet.

Just my 2p.

JK
Old 25-09-2008, 05:04 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the DVLA....

The vehicle details for N3 SGC are:
Date of Liability 01 03 2009
Date of First Registration 04 10 2001
Year of Manufacture 2001
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 3246CC
CO2 Emissions 287g/Km
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLACK
Vehicle Type Approval M1
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry. Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle 6 Months Rate £115.50 12 Months Rate £210.00