General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The new dyno thread

Search this Thread

Old 18-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
Have you had the training on your RR yet as this will need to be calibrated,
And isnt there a Shoot out acreditation you need to be trained for also if you want to have that status.

Mark
Not yet but that will happen, I want my figures to be spot on and repeatable.
Old 18-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Given the above and to ensure comparibility, why does he not do the dyno runs in the same way as SCS et al? That way there could be fair and accurate comparisons made between the two.
The majority of the world at one point believed the earth was flat, the minority proved them wrong.. Unless you can provide evidence for everyone to do the dyno runs the same way as SCS the question must be asked, why does SCS not take this action for the sake of comparison.

why doesn't Mark do his future dyno runs in the same way for direct comparison, which would mean with both the cell temperature and barometric pressure listed, and the figures as the individual load sites captured on the mapping runs, rather than a full power pull at the end?
Is it not just as easy for Harvey to do this, has this question been put to Harvey ?

If Harvey started changing his dyno recording method to one that was different to the recognised industry standard, I would soon be saying the same thing about his figures.
I understand there is a recognised industry calibration standard which is approved with a certificate, but in terms of operating method is there the same industry standards, do you receive training and certification, does this certificate lapse over time?
Old 18-09-2008, 08:23 AM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im off to college keep it sweet lads/ladies
Old 18-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by J1mbo
im off to college keep it sweet lads/ladies
Try to learn something while you're there
Old 18-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
Try to learn something while you're there
Or pull something, which is the real point in going to college
Old 18-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Kaliber Cosworth
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike give up,as you are speaking for harvey and chip is speaking for Mark,reyland infact everyone else,lol.You cannot win,people are very selective on here as to what they digest and choose to ignore!

i can see exactly where you are comming from,but then i am digesting everything you write
Old 18-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

corrected dyno figures are just that corrected,when you drive your car up the road or on the track the power output is weather related.Barometric conditions can vary your cars output by upto 15% approx.
On a good power day your 500 bhp car makes 500bhp on a bad power day your car could only be 425 bhp
Happy bickering
Old 18-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Kaliber Cosworth
Mike give up,as you are speaking for harvey and chip is speaking for Mark,reyland infact everyone else,lol.You cannot win,people are very selective on here as to what they digest and choose to ignore!

i can see exactly where you are comming from,but then i am digesting everything you write
Im not selective at all, and Ive read what Mike written, I just dont happen to agree with it.

Mike's main argument seems to be that Mark didnt put the temp and barometric reading on his graphs, but Ive been stood there personally when an engine has been dyno'd and there is nothing out of hand happening.

The only effect they have is on the correction factor and from what Ive seen Mark is happy to have people see both the corrected and uncorrected figures anyway!
Old 18-09-2008, 08:39 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See, this is what happened last time . I never ONCE said that Mark "fudged" the figures, it was the MADettes interpretation of my comments as per usual (Rod in the main saying that last time) .

1. It is FACT that Mark does his runs differently to Harvey.
2. I have no idea why, and I have no idea HOW this affects the results. All I know is that whilst you continue to dyno in this method, people CANNOT make direct comparisons with other dyno figures, only those that are gained from the same dyno in the same way.
3. Get MARK to state why he does it differently?
4. This is why I got so upset yesterday, the CONSTANT twisting of words to create a perceived vendetta .

You say you want the truth, then badger MARK into answering the above questions (or if you already know the answers, post them up ).

All I have EVER wanted is complete transparancy and comparibility - nothing more, nothing less.
You have chosen to make it appear like a personal vendenta against you Mike. No one has said anything more or less than what they usually say apart from ************* which no one knows what it means So instead of playing the victim and shouting abuse at people like myself and chip, sort yourself out, accpet that the 1st person EVER on this board to mention TUV approval and cell correction temps was you and therefore you get it back. As for you havent mentioned this subject for years. Well done. Tony from Turbo systems was years ago with his big power cossies. Didnt stop you winding him up and digging at him did it

one rule for you and another for others i see
Old 18-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chip / Tony,
Harvey's runs show:

Engine speed / Engine trq / Bhp / Oil pressure / Boost / Water in / Cell temp / Barometric pressure / Lambda

His recordered runs are the individual mapping points from 3000 rpm (or what-ever point the turbo makes boost at if it is a large one) to the rev limit in 500 rpm increments.

From what I understand of Mark's power runs, they do not show all these figures, as he has chosen not to do this (only he knows why). His print-outs (from memory of his comments), are also dyno power runs (a full pull?), not the static load points?

From what I understand from Harvey, the method he uses is how he was told by Ford / Ahmed that they required to enable direct comparison with Mountune / Ford's own dynos.

Why doesn't Mark want to do his runs in the same way? He has never explained why he has chosen to do it this way? Whereas Harvey does it this way, because that is the way he has been told to do it for comparibility purposes.

With the cell temp / barometric figures listed, you can even see what correction should have been applied (as in up or down).

If Mark honestly thinks this is a personal vendetta, why doesn't he just beat me at my own "alleged" game and adopt the method of obtaining figures that Mountune et al use ? This is something that I have never understood . It would put an end to all this bullshit AND the figures can be directly compared to the ones obtained on Mountune, Ford, SCS and Blue Sprint dynos.
Old 18-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Chip

Mike, I would imagine Mark likes posting graphs rather than figures, the dyno allows you to do both, and there is nothing out of hand in picking one way or the other.

Im sure that for someone like ford, they want the data in the rawest possible form, but for posting on a website, a graph is perfectly acceptable IMHO, wether it is a superflow one or a dynodynamics one.
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

It would put an end to all this bullshit AND the figures can be directly compared to the ones obtained on Mountune, Ford, SCS and Blue Sprint dynos.
Accept due to your outbursts last night you have now lost 2 mates over this havent you. Or that is what you are saying anyway
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

I don't think Chip is speaking for me! I sort of agree with Mike in the respect of the need for both dyno's to be set up and operated in the same manner if figures are to be directly compared, that way there can be no argument.

To be honest I didn't realise that the two dynos were actually set up differently.
Old 18-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Chip

Havent spoken for you in anyway at all mate, Ive no idea what that fella is on about.

All Ive said, is that Mark uses a correctly calibrated dyno, and he chooses to publish the nice easy to read graphs from it, as opposed to columns of data, and I think there is nothing wrong with that at all, especially given that I have seen how slight the correction factor was on Rod's dyno runs anyway!
Old 18-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Simon Norris
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Mike why do you think SCS are the authority on the SF901 dyno just because they allegedly adhere to the TUV approval but do not currently hold a certificate for? We operate our dyno based on the manufacturer’s recommendations.

I would really appreciate it if you took your head out of your arse and smelt the salt that just because you/your tuner can’t do it, doesn’t mean it’s not possible. We have proved as a company that our cars are the fastest out there in their field using figures obtained from our SF-901 and all our customers get the same level of service. Get over yourself!

“When using the advised guidelines the SF-901 can result in 0.1% repeatability” Some of which is detailed below, our dyno conforms to or exceeds all parameters listed;

A) Test cell air should be replaced at least 8-10 times per minute.
B) Ensure exhaust system is correctly sealed within the cell and suffers from little or zero back pressure.
C) Calibration should be performed as often as possible.
D) Change absorber oil every 60-100 hours of operation.
E) Oil & Water temperature management should be sufficient and stable.
F) Correlate dyno Baro with mercury based Baro.
G) Use consistent test parameters.
H) Tune for the correct A/F ratio at all times.

These are just some of the notes to follow as advised by Superflow, there are many many more! Would you like me to list the load cell calibration procedure also???

Cheers

Simon
Old 18-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Accept due to your outbursts last night you have now lost 2 mates over this havent you. Or that is what you are saying anyway
Mates don't specifically go out to assasinate other mates, so I don't see what I have lost.
Old 18-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Kaliber Cosworth
Banned

sorry martin i added you and the rest for a bit of banter,as he does like to speak on others behalfs and wont let it drop.

as for the comment,you have lost 2 friends over this,i am dumbfounded,its the internet and i have always assumed that its all friendly banter with a bit of bravado because you are not within punching distance lol
Old 18-09-2008, 08:51 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Mates don't specifically go out to assasinate other mates, so I don't see what I have lost.
Who assainated you? Taking the piss out of you yes, and quite rightly so, YOu do it to everyone. Dont worry Mike, i will continue this discussion with you when i see you next
Old 18-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Simon Norris
Mike why do you think SCS are the authority on the SF901 dyno just because they allegedly adhere to the TUV approval but do not currently hold a certificate for? We operate our dyno based on the manufacturer’s recommendations.

I would really appreciate it if you took your head out of your arse and smelt the salt that just because you/your tuner can’t do it, doesn’t mean it’s not possible. We have proved as a company that our cars are the fastest out there in their field using figures obtained from our SF-901 and all our customers get the same level of service. Get over yourself!

“When using the advised guidelines the SF-901 can result in 0.1% repeatability” Some of which is detailed below, our dyno conforms to or exceeds all parameters listed;

A) Test cell air should be replaced at least 8-10 times per minute.
B) Ensure exhaust system is correctly sealed within the cell and suffers from little or zero back pressure.
C) Calibration should be performed as often as possible.
D) Change absorber oil every 60-100 hours of operation.
E) Oil & Water temperature management should be sufficient and stable.
F) Correlate dyno Baro with mercury based Baro.
G) Use consistent test parameters.
H) Tune for the correct A/F ratio at all times.

These are just some of the notes to follow as advised by Superflow, there are many many more! Would you like me to list the load cell calibration procedure also???

Cheers

Simon
Given the above, could you please clarify why Mark choses to use a different format to display the figures and the print out is from a power run?
Old 18-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Chip

sorry martin i added you and the rest for a bit of banter,as he does like to speak on others behalfs and wont let it drop.

as for the comment,you have lost 2 friends over this,i am dumbfounded,its the internet and i have always assumed that its all friendly banter with a bit of bravado because you are not within punching distance lol
Mike was the one saying that apparently because we dared to mention the fact Mike had been shit stirring, that he no longer thought of me and Rich as a friend, both me and Rich PM'd him to say dont be so stupid, both got it thrown back in our faces.

I agree with that you its utterly pathetic.
Old 18-09-2008, 08:55 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Mike has told me, that he no longer wants to be mates with me. Not the other way round. I have no problem at all with Mike and often get abuse from MAD about being a Mike lover. what Mike cant take is people giving back to him what he so freely dishes out
Old 18-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Chip

Given the above, could you please clarify why Mark choses to use a different format to display the figures and the print out is from a power run?
Because a graph is an easily interpreted format?

Same reason that dyno dynamics and just about every other type of dyno or rolling road all choose to publish graphs rather than spit out raw data that wouldnt mean a lot to most people (obviously it does to you or me and I find the tabular format harvery displays in to be very interesting, especially seeing the AFR's and how greatly different they are when the engine is installed in the car, meaning it is nothing like the power quoted on the dyno results of course!)
Old 18-09-2008, 08:57 AM
jb fletch
MAD Carbon Cossie

You have chosen to make it appear like a personal vendenta against you Mike. No one has said anything more or less than what they usually say apart from ************* which no one knows what it means So instead of playing the victim and shouting abuse at people like myself and chip, sort yourself out, accpet that the 1st person EVER on this board to mention TUV approval and cell correction temps was you and therefore you get it back. As for you havent mentioned this subject for years. Well done. Tony from Turbo systems was years ago with his big power cossies. Didnt stop you winding him up and digging at him did it

one rule for you and another for others i see
Being honest Rich, I thought Chip's 1st post on the other thread was a lil personal *dig (maybe not vandetta) at Mike & to wind him up make him look silly (should of jus posted a pic )

I've known Mike for quite a few years now & he's ALWAYS been honest & straight up !!

I love you 2 (Chip & Rich) to death but that jus way I saw it, thought Martin's been very neutral & funny !!

BUT what does this "et al" mean ??

Also, Simon (Flux) posted a rough explination of the calibrating carried out on Norris's dyno, can we have the same description for Harvey's/TUV's dyno's ?? with a screen shot of these settings Mike's mentioned ??

Cheers

jb

(edited * put "dig" in instead of "attack" cos Chip was on a wind up & attach was a bit harsh )

Last edited by jb fletch; 18-09-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 18-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Chip

Mike has told me, that he no longer wants to be mates with me. Not the other way round. I have no problem at all with Mike and often get abuse from MAD about being a Mike lover. what Mike cant take is people giving back to him what he so freely dishes out
+1

Mike has been a total fucking hypocrit the last couple of days, maybe its his bleed week or something as IMHO its out of character for him
Old 18-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

So at playtime will you still be playing 'tig' with Mike or will there be two separate games being played in the playground?
Old 18-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by jb fletch
Being honest Rich, I thought Chip's 1st post on the other thread was a lil personal attack (maybe not vandetta) at Mike & to wind him up make him look silly (should of jus posted a pic )
I did indeed make Mike look silly to a certain extent, its kind of hard not to when someone is being a hypocrit and you speak honestly about it.
That was a side effect though not my intention, my intention was to clear up all the bollocks about the Norris Designs Superflow somehow being massively less accurate than Harvey's superflow despite both being maintained and calibrated to the same standards (as mentioned by Flux)

"Et Al" means "and the others" basically
Old 18-09-2008, 09:01 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

So at playtime will you still be playing 'tig' with Mike or will there be two separate games being played in the playground?
I reckon once Mike calms down normal piss taking duites will be resumed
Old 18-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Chip

It would appear that Mike will not let Rich or me play with him anymore, well if we could get past the barrage of toys radiating out from his pram in the first place
Old 18-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Chip

I reckon once Mike calms down normal piss taking duites will be resumed
Id like to think so too, I think its very sad if Mike chooses to consider people as no longer his friends just because they have questioned something he said.
Old 18-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Simon Norris

1) Mark doesn't choose this format I do, if he wants any info from the dyno he is most welcome. Just because "you" do it this way does not mean everyone has to.

2) This is the funny thing, you are totally wrong! We obtain the results from each point while mapping NOT from a power run. Anyway a power run provides lower results not higher, we don't do this though as charge temps are difficult to control at high boost for a long period.

Simon

Last edited by Simon Norris; 18-09-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 18-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip,
How is questioning how things are done, shit-stirring?

What you have done regarding this thread is the epitomy of shit stirring, there has been no attempt to logically clarify anything, it has just been a witch hunt designed to make me look stupid (whereas I usually do a good enough job of that myself).

It would make a completely refreshing change to discuss the differences (and the reasons for them) in a completely adult fashion, and if this had been done in the FIRST instance this topic was discussed all those years ago, then there would be no issues what-so-ever and no falling out.

However, it would seem that no adult conversation can be entered into when it comes to questioning why tuners do things in a specific way. I clarified as best I could as to why Harvey carries out his dynoing in a specific way and why he shows all the figures on a dyno sheet.

Yet all I get when questioning why the Norris figures don't get posted in a similar way, is that everything is above board, trust us etc. Well if everything is above board etc, where is the harm in carrying out the dynoing and recording process in an identical format to how Mark USED to have his engines mapped when Ahmed did them ?
Old 18-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Havent spoken for you in anyway at all mate, Ive no idea what that fella is on about.

All Ive said, is that Mark uses a correctly calibrated dyno, and he chooses to publish the nice easy to read graphs from it, as opposed to columns of data, and I think there is nothing wrong with that at all, especially given that I have seen how slight the correction factor was on Rod's dyno runs anyway!
I know nothing about this but what figures is Mark hiding so that Mike cant see, ive loads of figures that mean jack shite to me. Would the correction figures be of help or is Mark fiddling them as well, shit hes a clever bloke if hes doing all these fiddles & getting away with it while Chip is sat so close hes fiddling with his b****x.
Old 18-09-2008, 09:08 AM
vikingboy
PassionFord Regular

Tony,
The second you stoop so low, you will receive similar retaliation.
why cant you just rise above it Mike?
Now you look like a cock who hasn't been blessed with an education (outside TUV HQ of course)
Old 18-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Chip

Mike, you are getting your knickers in a twist because Simon likes to output a nice easy to read graph from his dyno, not a big table of figures that wouldnt mean much to a lot of people, off the back of that you are accusing Mark of things like:

I HATE the fact that in the tuning world, tuners think it is okay to pull the wool over people's eyes and claim inaccurate figures to make the customer happy
There is little point me trying to have an adult conversation with you when you are going to come out with bollocks like that, as its not something for discussion, its something for just totally dismissing out of hand as bitter ranting.

Ive told you I was there, and I have seen that the temp probe is in an appropriate place, its not resting on the exhaust or stuck in someone's cup of tea, its exactly as it should be, and how im sure Harvery does it, getting ambient temperature in the room.

If you choose to ignore the facts and just carry on ranting and raving and attempting to discredit open and honest people like Mark and Simon, dont expect to be treated like an adult in the middle of your tantrum.
Old 18-09-2008, 09:11 AM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike.. why does it bother you ??
you don't disclose the power of your own engine.. so its only in your own head that you are measuring willy sizes surely? (sorry)

is it really that important
that Mark uses Norris dyno to print his graphs out a different way ?
Old 18-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Id like to think so too, I think its very sad if Mike chooses to consider people as no longer his friends just because they have questioned something he said.
Mike never questions anything other people say does he
Interesting point I noticed on simons post zero back pressure in the exhaust on the dyno,whne the engine is installed in the car you won't see zero back pressure
I have also received the pm's from mike chip that you have mentioned

Last edited by Turbosystems; 18-09-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 18-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Mark also runs all accessories on his engines including Power steering etc, im told Harvey does not do that so perhaps for comparison I should add 20bhp to my figures..
Old 18-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by MadRod
I know nothing about this but what figures is Mark hiding so that Mike cant see, ive loads of figures that mean jack shite to me. Would the correction figures be of help or is Mark fiddling them as well, shit hes a clever bloke if hes doing all these fiddles & getting away with it while Chip is sat so close hes fiddling with his b****x.
Mike wants to see the results in a tabular format showing AFR and boost etc.

Simon Norris prefers a nice easy to read graph, so that is what Mark ends up with by default (although I did of course see the table values when I was there observing your dyno run, but apparnetly despite me NOT being a madette, my word counts for nothing to Mike, despite the fact he should me well enough.

This is the reality of how hard Mark tries to hide his figures of course, this time from a Dyno Dynamics rolling road printout (JKM), he actually went to the trouble to go and screenshot the days weather conditions just to prove the numbers are correct.

Hardly the actions of someone "trying to pull the wool over peoples" eyes like Mike refers to Mark frequently on here in his little hate field rants.

Originally Posted by Mark Shead

and the weather today to confirm the pressure and temp figs.
These are ATW fig.

Mark
Old 18-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Simon Norris

Originally Posted by Tony S Mannock
Mike never questions anything other people say does he
Interesting point I noticed on simons post zero back pressure in the exhaust on the dyno,whne the engine is installed in the car you won't see zero back pressure
I have also received the pm's from mike chip that you have mentioned
Hey Tony you old sod! I have virtually zero BP in my Swevo exhaust system!

Si
Old 18-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip / Rich,
How have I been a hypocrite? It's nothing to do with what has been said, it is the WAY in which it has been done that just makes me realise what an arse you are. There is never a neutral questioning stand point from you, it has to be done in a way to really stick the knife in. If you look back at all my posts regarding this, it has been from a purely logical and scientific questioning process. All I have ever wanted is to get some comparibility / transparency with the the dyno figures that have been posted up. It is then the fact that I dare question anything that tempers have frayed and then the original reason for the post gets lost in all the bickering, and the
only thing that gets remembered is "fudging / TUV" .

Anyway, if you treat friends like this, I'm just glad I wasn't your enemy.

As to Simon's comments, I am sure I recall MARK saying that he chose the print outs to be done this way (I think due to my questions in the past about cell temps etc), and I also recall him mentioning how the runs differed from Harvey's figures, but can't remember EXACTLY what he said, but I "though" it was something about a simulated power run or something like that?

Again, perhaps Mark could clarify?

If I am so wrong about the discrepancies and incomaribilty between the dynos, where would the harm be in carrying out the next run in the same format as I have described for Harvey's dyno?

Quick Reply: The new dyno thread