General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

rat look like the vw people

Search this Thread

Old 15-02-2009, 09:30 PM
RST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks the bollox.
Me and my boss took the datsun to santa pod late last year.It was one of there weekend shows, some of there ideas are mad. Shame neva got to race any of them, propper wash out
Old 15-02-2009, 09:56 PM
285andy
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rab
Some examples of this totally stupid VW thing......

this i like. its old so can carry it but to rust up a fairly new golf is plain weird?? one thing i cant stand though is the matt or satin rattle can look. thats fookin rubbish to look at
Old 04-05-2009, 04:16 PM
malyon
Virgin

im from the vw scene and someone on edition 38 posted this in our general chat section and i completely agree with you lot it looks crap.

THANK YOU

Last edited by malyon; 04-05-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:47 PM
CorradoVR6-Turbo

each to there own imop...if everybody liked the same things nothing would be interesting and threads like these would never happen.

Im not a fan of "le Rat" look..i prefer the under the hood department
Old 04-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is on Edition38 hey, il pay em a visit
Old 04-05-2009, 07:01 PM
mark 2gti
Virgin

Originally Posted by jeans43
thats the impression i was getin lol well i think there doing a gr8 job lookin w*nk to me tho lol
How can you possibly say that if you own the ford ka in your sig. The whackist car ever.

Don't like the forced rat look myself it looks great on the older dubs though.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 PM
seventynine

Originally Posted by malyon
im from the vw scene and someone on edition 38 posted this in our general chat section and i completely agree with you lot it looks crap.

THANK YOU
Hating on F6 didn't get you anywhere so you've turned to hating on the whole VW scene to a crowd you don't belong in.

Last edited by seventynine; 04-05-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

i have a few friends with rat vws,i can appreciate an old vw thats sat in california all its days and has rusted away itself,but sanding off all the paint looks crap.i like rat cars,spot on mechanically with a big engine and crappy bodywork,but i think when you go out of your way to make a car look old it doesnt work.the vw lads are usually ahead when it comes to modifying and this is a bit different.you can pay for a decent paint job anytime but real patina cant be bought.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:18 AM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED
BANNED

its not cool its just people who cant afford to have a nice car or they are fkn demmentedimagine trying to pull a bird in your rat look car......................it aint going to happen!!!you would be lucky if you got a prostotute in it for fk sakewher do these weirdo's come from
Old 05-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Its just a cheap way to get a "show" car. Rather than put effort into making something beautiful. I have to say the american hotrod scene can pull it off.
I saw a mk4 golf all rusted and beaten white walled tyres etc. with a big vinyl up the side which read "old skool". Whats old skool about a mk4 golf!?!??
Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM
sedan man
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Chopshop85
Its just a cheap way to get a "show" car. Rather than put effort into making something beautiful. I have to say the american hotrod scene can pull it off.
I saw a mk4 golf all rusted and beaten white walled tyres etc. with a big vinyl up the side which read "old skool". Whats old skool about a mk4 golf!?!??

its not a cheap way to get a show car at all.a lot of the rat look vans and bugs are worth serious money.the reason they do it is so poeople like you have no idea what they are or what they are worth.they can use there there pride and joy at the weekends without fear of scratches etc.as mentioned a lot of rat looks are seriously fast as well.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I saw a VW trasporter in Southend on Saturday night, had a 3.2 porshe turbo engine in it with nos! was bloody impressive!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

There's a mk4 fiesta round this way with a small bodykit and nice wheels, it looks ok actually, but he's got a rusty bonnet

What a cock
Old 05-05-2009, 04:06 PM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

Originally Posted by ultimate sleeper
This is on Edition38 hey, il pay em a visit
what is?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A 306 with a almost rusty bonnet!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM
malyon
Virgin

Originally Posted by seventynine
Hating on F6 didn't get you anywhere so you've turned to hating on the whole VW scene to a crowd you don't belong in.
im not hating on the vw scene im hating or the forced rat look as it looks crap, at least these ford boys know a good car when they see one and put money into acctualy making there car go faster iv never seen any of you f6 lads build a performance vw.
And as for everyone taking the piss of the guy who owns the KA so what its his car he can drive what he likes its no different from sombody driving a lupo as thats vws equivilent

Last edited by malyon; 05-05-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by sedan man
its not a cheap way to get a show car at all.a lot of the rat look vans and bugs are worth serious money.the reason they do it is so poeople like you have no idea what they are or what they are worth.they can use there there pride and joy at the weekends without fear of scratches etc.as mentioned a lot of rat looks are seriously fast as well.
lol what they are worth?? a rotten vw beetle??
they are "worth" so much because gullable dubbers will pay alot for shit as long as its "scene"
Old 05-05-2009, 05:32 PM
xr2madman
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

rat looks ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt tttttttttttttttt to me
Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 PM
malyon
Virgin

Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

cant wait for xrt-si to see this,,,,,, hes gonna show hes old man and use it as proof hs fiesta is a nice car and should be allowed on there drive
Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 PM
seventynine

im not hating on the vw scene im hating or the forced rat look as it looks crap, at least these ford boys know a good car when they see one and put money into acctualy making there car go faster iv never seen any of you f6 lads build a performance vw.
And as for everyone taking the piss of the guy who owns the KA so what its his car he can drive what he likes its no different from sombody driving a lupo as thats vws equivilent

if i remember rightly you ASSUMED none of us had built a decent performance car right?

you've probably not noticed i've been on here a few years maybe not as a poster but a fairly current lurker, would that not suggest that you might be assuming something you have no idea about?

i take it you've never seen my ford? not trying to blow my own trumpet but your cobbled together VW wouldn't stand a chance

or rich's DIESEL caddy shitting all over a Vr6 at santa pod?

the list could go on. but i'll never burst your impenetrable bubble of ignorance so have a happy life

Last edited by seventynine; 05-05-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 PM
seventynine

they are "worth" so much because gullable dubbers will pay alot for shit as long as its "scene"
90% of them aren't rotten mate, you get the outer shell to a point and then anchor wax it and it stops it going any further.

if you follow it back it stems from the rat rods of the 50's, where they'd be properly engineered on the inside, with a big ol' V8 up front, but with minimal effort to the outside.

the proper rat cars have stemmed from this ideology, looking at the original rats in the aircooled scene, such as the linde-bus:

which was completely porsche underneath, engine, brakes, suspension. it made a very good drag racing car with minimal attention to the outside.

as the controversy increases, you get people jumping on the bandwagOn, which creates spawns from the original style, some for the good, some for the bad.

the hoodride way of seeing things was that it was more about the culture than row upon row of shiney cars. from being in the ford scene for a few years i could tell you first hand that looking at row after row of standard mk2 RS2000's with a few group 4 extras gets a bit boring, even worse when you have an ocean of bog standard RS focus's at a car show.

you compare that to a row of rusty VW's, each with the stance nailed, a load of really niche and well thought out accessories and i know what i'd rather look at.

Last edited by seventynine; 05-05-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

This is the problem.

The look originated when people didn't give a fuck what there car looked like. Now people do it to look cool... which IMO is totally wrong.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM
seventynine

what makes a 'good' car?

is it one that takes time and effort? is it one that's different? is it one that's fast? is it one that gets you gash by the bucket? you tell me? I can't really see the problem in it if everyones having fun.

choosing to laugh at someone elses car as a form of one man upmanship is pretty lame by all accounts, I'm sure there are people who laugh at those who throw grands into 90's hatchbacks when they could have a nice new car for the same cash.

but wheres the fun in that?

Last edited by seventynine; 05-05-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:57 PM
KnoxyGtt
T34 just kicked in Yo

Originally Posted by timrud
This is the problem.

The look originated when people didn't give a fuck what there car looked like. Now people do it to look cool... which IMO is totally wrong.

Yes, spending money to make your car look like a bag of shite is contradictory to the rat life style is it not, supose most of them vw's arnt rat by choice
Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 PM
seventynine

Originally Posted by KnoxyGtt
Yes, spending money to make your car look like a bag of shite is contradictory to the rat life style is it not, supose most of them vw's arnt rat by choice
i'm not too much of a fan of forced rat look as it's kind of going against the original idea.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you compare that to a row of rusty VW's, each with the stance nailed, a load of really niche and well thought out accessories and i know what i'd rather look at.
you must love scrap yards then.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 PM
wide ka
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

90% of them aren't rotten mate, you get the outer shell to a point and then anchor wax it and it stops it going any further.

if you follow it back it stems from the rat rods of the 50's, where they'd be properly engineered on the inside, with a big ol' V8 up front, but with minimal effort to the outside.

the proper rat cars have stemmed from this ideology, looking at the original rats in the aircooled scene, such as the linde-bus:

which was completely porsche underneath, engine, brakes, suspension. it made a very good drag racing car with minimal attention to the outside.

as the controversy increases, you get people jumping on the bandwagOn, which creates spawns from the original style, some for the good, some for the bad.

the hoodride way of seeing things was that it was more about the culture than row upon row of shiney cars. from being in the ford scene for a few years i could tell you first hand that looking at row after row of standard mk2 RS2000's with a few group 4 extras gets a bit boring, even worse when you have an ocean of bog standard RS focus's at a car show.

i agree with you, i have been to ford shows for the last 5 years, and tbh im fed up of the same shit different field stuff, i also go to alot of air-cooled vw shows, and they are totally different allways something different and unique to look at even if you dont like the "look" of certain things
Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Saaamon

you get the outer shell to a point and then anchor wax it and it stops it going any further.
Tell me more about he anchor wax, seems interesting. So can you not see the wax whens its on the body of the car?

I love the rat look and i can't see why people have a problem with it. Its great seeing different cars about, the modified car scene would be a very boring place if it was full of the same stuff and personally i'm glad these people out are modding there dubs in that way because it just makes you and I's car that bit more unique.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:42 AM
puddy

Originally Posted by Ed_van_dijk
A 306 with a almost rusty bonnet!

Slaves to fashion,sad mo fo's

Gotta admit I do like the rat look split screen buses tho'

puddy (Rat look tina)
Old 06-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Grahamdub

I have an 07 Focus Zetec that I love to bits as a daily driver - it`s nippy, smart (got the optional 17`s on it), roomy and I can park it in our company NCP all day and know it`ll still be there when I leave work.
It`s our 2nd Focus and will def be replaced by another when the time comes, but I`m a big VW fan (I help run evvo.co.uk New Beetle OC and do most of the big shows) and this is my toy

A couple of our members are into their Rats ..

Now while I could never own one myself - I love my polish far too much - I can see why people do them and love them.
The New Beetle rat is immaculate apart from the rusted bonnet and roofrack and was featured in last months Golf + mag as well as being on their stand at Ultimate Dubs a few months ago. It has also won quite a few trophys and having followed it down the m/way it certainly attracts some attention !
The old Bug is immaculate underneath and totally solid on top and IMHO looks as cool as funk - horses for courses and all that but for a cheap mod a rusted bonnet is hard to beat !

BTW, there were some good cars at E38

Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM
rstirl

I would never rat my RS1800 but is still love the rat look on VDubs.

I might have a stab at a rat look mk3fez sometime though. I think it would look class with my surfboards on the roof.

For me thats why its cool. I would never put a board on my RS. Id be freaked out to see the footwells getting full sand or to scratch the roof.

But a rat look car is the opposite. Strap on your surf boards and off ya go. Cool imo.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:45 PM
claireG60
Virgin

Fake Rat Look is just rubbish but if its genuine patina then why not.

I had a 1965 split screen camper (i'll post some pics up later but can't get on photobucket at work), that had spent the first 40 years of its life in California. It was solid as a rock but the paint had been bleached by the sun and it had some surface rust on the bumpers etc.

It looked cool as fook (especially once when my bro thrashed it with the lowering stick!) and because it was completely natural patina purely caused by age and sun, when officially valued by The Split Screen Van Club, I was recommended to leave it as it was rather than repainting it which would have significantly reduced the value.

Its a great look, cool as. Go to a VW show and if you have 1 rat look and 1 concourse car side by side, you'll see 10 times more people taking photos of the rat look one!

VW's lend themselves to rat look really well because they're so different and go on and on and on and on. Maybe thats why alot of you Ford guys don't get it, coz your cars just don't live long enuff ;o) (Puts on tin hat and hides under desk!!!)
Old 06-05-2009, 04:01 PM
seventynine

you must love scrap yards then.
why? do cars in scrapyards have well thought out parts and amazing stance? or even wheels?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:03 PM
KnoxyGtt
T34 just kicked in Yo

Originally Posted by claireG60
Fake Rat Look is just rubbish but if its genuine patina then why not.

I had a 1965 split screen camper (i'll post some pics up later but can't get on photobucket at work), that had spent the first 40 years of its life in California. It was solid as a rock but the paint had been bleached by the sun and it had some surface rust on the bumpers etc.

It looked cool as fook (especially once when my bro thrashed it with the lowering stick!) and because it was completely natural patina purely caused by age and sun, when officially valued by The Split Screen Van Club, I was recommended to leave it as it was rather than repainting it which would have significantly reduced the value.

Its a great look, cool as. Go to a VW show and if you have 1 rat look and 1 concourse car side by side, you'll see 10 times more people taking photos of the rat look one!

VW's lend themselves to rat look really well because they're so different and go on and on and on and on. Maybe thats why alot of you Ford guys don't get it, coz your cars just don't live long enuff ;o) (Puts on tin hat and hides under desk!!!)

I would like to see that, that is kinda the proper "Rat" look i think, where i be a life style or apart of the cars/vans history where the owner had nothing to do with outlook of it, it just happend on its own
Old 06-05-2009, 04:32 PM
sedan man
PassionFord Regular

who says because its rusty its rotten.theres a diffrence.a lot of rat look vws will be harbouring less rot than a lot of rs fords.espicaly escorts!

people pay good cash for rare models same as the ford scene,you just dont know what you are looking at,that linde bus looks shite to most people but is one of the most sought after splits in the world.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:40 PM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

I would of thought this was more of a Ford thing......this rust look comes as standard on new Ford's after a year or so after purchase!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 PM
malyon
Virgin

if i remember rightly you ASSUMED none of

i take it you've never seen my ford? not trying to blow my own trumpet but your cobbled together VW wouldn't stand a chance

or rich's DIESEL caddy shitting all over a Vr6 at santa pod?

the list could go on. but i'll never burst your impenetrable bubble of ignorance so have a happy life

mine hasnt been built for the 1/4 Its been built for the trackdays and if you ford is that amazing why dont you join me on a couple of trackdays when mines done and we will see how my cobbled together vw does then
Old 06-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I own a ford so that makes me bloody hate rust lol.

Quick Reply: rat look like the vw people