General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

rat look like the vw people

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 05:53 PM
mk1ian
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 17-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Wes52478
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i was browsing this forum and ran across this, i actually am a vw owner, i love all cars, but i got sick of all the $20,000 + vw's, got boring, who dumps that kinda money into a vw, lol, so this is what i roll. Its rat rod, air beam, everything done myself, brm's, i polished it and i clear coated it, so it froze the patina in its current state. I see fords, chevy's, dodge's, all ratrods, no paint, chopped, with welds and shit showing, its all good, its different and each to their own, i can appreiciate any car, even if its not my taste, i admire the time and work put into stuff.

The rat look gives it character, its the car, it took 47 years for the bug to get this way. Old people stay old, i think some cars should too.

Old 18-05-2009, 06:56 AM
wide ka
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

awesome
Old 13-07-2009, 09:23 PM
volks spy

Can you believe that those rascals in Volkszone are talking about this thread right now? Lets start a thread about rusty Fords and see them off
Old 13-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

and on edition 38 too mate

they are bellends on there matenowt you can do

they rather spend their cash on filler and smoothing than performance
Old 13-07-2009, 09:31 PM
volks spy

Originally Posted by Kam B
and on edition 38 too mate

they are bellends on there matenowt you can do

they rather spend their cash on filler and smoothing than performance
I hear some have lightweight racing filler for 10 sec 1/4 mile passes
Old 13-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

they live their lives a quater pounder at a time
Old 13-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Slik Johnson
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Its a stupid fasion thing. Just like when my missus bought some bright green leggins and asked what i thought, I said she looked like a f##cking tw#t lol. Why o why o why do people put bonnet bras on. IF YOU WANT RUST SPEND Ł200 ON A OLD FORD!!!! But I still love Fords though lol
Old 13-07-2009, 10:11 PM
volks spy

It's all kicking off

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthr...19#post6150919
Old 13-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

'Peelo' is going to rip my bollocks off apparently haha

PMSL

It hurts these dubbers so much when they get told some home truths that they end up barking back

Il just keep quiet
Old 13-07-2009, 10:29 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Reading the posts from here and the VW ones, we sound like childish wankers. The VW guys were pretty decent!
Old 13-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by P_is_for_Paul
Reading the posts from here and the VW ones, we sound like childish wankers. The VW guys were pretty decent!
BOLLOCKS

IF we are, why dont you go join em and talk about wheel width

go on edition 38 and vz and im sure will find some posts where they slag off the blue oval.
Old 13-07-2009, 10:35 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Go over this thread again and read it. Most people here are slagging off VW's. Now go and read the thread on the VW page. How many people do u see slagging fords over TWICE the amount of pages? Very few

Last edited by P_is_for_Paul; 13-07-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 13-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Slik Johnson
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Im not slagging the VW lot off at all, alot of my mates are DuB. I just cant understand the fasion they like but at the end of the day everyones different!
Old 13-07-2009, 10:54 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Don't get me wrong, I don't understand the rat look thing but I wouldn't start saying their cars are shit. I like the other side of the VW scene, the smoothed bumpers etc.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:11 PM
volks spy

Originally Posted by P_is_for_Paul
Go over this thread again and read it. Most people here are slagging off VW's. Now go and read the thread on the VW page. How many people do u see slagging fords over TWICE the amount of pages? Very few
QFT

It's fair to say that most VeeDubbers are car fans, not just VW fans (although they are the ride of choice), I've got a 'shit rat split van' but I do like a nice Cosworth, or preferably a Mk1 BDA

Last edited by volks spy; 13-07-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Fast Beetle
Virgin

Originally Posted by malyon
im not hating on the vw scene im hating or the forced rat look as it looks crap, at least these ford boys know a good car when they see one and put money into acctualy making there car go faster iv never seen any of you f6 lads build a performance vw.
And as for everyone taking the piss of the guy who owns the KA so what its his car he can drive what he likes its no different from sombody driving a lupo as thats vws equivilent
Some of us do like making them go faster

It's funny how you guys have reacted to 'Rat Look'. I for one don't really like it, but I wouldn't go slagging other peoples cars off. Much like I wouldn't say any of your birds were chubby munters...

I'm a car enthusiast, as our most of the guys from Volkszone; which you would be able to see from the diverse amount of threads on there about other marques of cars. And to be honest none of them ever get the small minded negativity I've read on this thread. Sad really!

Oh and I think a hot Mark 1 or 2 'Scort or 'Tina would be a fine addition to my garage. Remember, rear wheel drive's for racing and front wheel drive's for shopping

Last edited by Fast Beetle; 13-07-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

welcome to PF lol
Old 13-07-2009, 11:47 PM
KnoxyGtt
T34 just kicked in Yo

So?, what is the purpose of the rat look with the vw scene, is it to reflect the persons personality and life style, or maybe because they think its cool?
Old 14-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

rat look is fucking GAY, unless its a genuine 50s/60s hot rod or early vw that has become rusty naturally over time.

any thing else with the "rat look" is just contrived and pandering to gay fashion.

Just look at this pathetic corsa for example:

Old 14-07-2009, 06:52 AM
MAMBOMAN
Virgin

Originally Posted by KnoxyGtt
So?, what is the purpose of the rat look with the vw scene, is it to reflect the persons personality and life style, or maybe because they think its cool?
Hi, I'm from over at the Volkszone forum.
i have just read all of this thread, some points I agree and what you're saying but with some i don't.
Ratlook in moderation is cool,( for example OZ and US imports where the paint has worn ( patina) can telll the life of a car) there are some excellent big engined monsters that are rat look, there is also Renos excellent Karman which has been pictured in this thread, it is always argued that a shiny paint job is the best thing. My beetle was ratlook for a long while and there's something about it, pannels hat are different ETC it's great fun to be seen ina car that looks like it shoudnt be on the road.

as for the dude saying about body filler: there are some of the best welder/ fabricators working with Volkswagens, go onto the readers rides section and have a look before you say we use filler for everything.

I'm pretty sure that ratloook will live on, people wont always have a shinny paint job, if we all did the shinny thing it would all be very samey!
rock out, i'l have a good look through your forums now, seems an ok place

Mine looked like this:
ridicule me if you will, but i could afford no paint after saving it from VW scrapyard in the sky:

Last edited by MAMBOMAN; 14-07-2009 at 06:58 AM. Reason: pic
Old 14-07-2009, 09:32 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

I like it on the pre plastic generation dubs and hotrods , i think it shows the cars character and what sort of life its had . The work that goes on underneath the shell is epic and tbh some of the regulars on here would be doing well if they spent half the time and money on their fords (which have probably had re paints, filler and welding done just to get through an mot).

As for the later cars being bare metal'd and matt blacked , i just dont get it ? the silver new beetle in the pics above looks like a nice car (if you like that sort of thing) but the rusty bonnet , wtf? its almost as if they want to fit in with the classics but cant be botherd to go to all the effort .

Each to thier own i guess. If we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place
Old 14-07-2009, 10:38 AM
56oval
Virgin

[/quote] utter pish if you ask me...... VW people should spend a bit more time working out how to get more power out the engines then they wouldn't need to fuck about trying to out do each other with stupid styling ideas [/QUOTE]

i thought i would join your little conversation just to give us selves a bit of defence

there are many different looks etc within the vw scene ,probaly the same as whats in your ford seen,some float you boat some dont,

rat is a look along with cal-look,resto-cal etc etc
i expect you have stock looking fords ,spoilered up and lowered and body kits as well ,we all giggle at each other to be honest
and if you think we dont tune much well i think you best go look on youtube and look up richie webb ,he runs a stock-ish looking beetle cabriolet that runs a flat4 aircooled motor with full turbo and nos and he runs into 9.30s on the quarter mile, i just run 2276 cc with twin dual 48 webbers and close ratio box and im into the 13s with road tyres
and there are loads of bugs out there in this country plus around the world doing similar ,so yes we do tune ,
rant over now chaps
if your really interested come to a show at the pod and have a look yourself
might open your eyes
harv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iejxt_FOJ_k

Last edited by 56oval; 14-07-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 14-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A big welcome to our new 2 dub loving PF members

I was thinking of taking some DUB inspiration on my car

Side exit 'zorst' flush bumpers, flush number plate recess, d-locked and d-handled, single wiper, take rubbing strips off, headlamp wipers, wiper scuttle panel smoothed, blended in skirts, then flush the engine bay followed buy 20 12 inch subs

then il change my dress sense and image by putting a finger in an electrical socket which will sort my hair out then buy some jeans a few sizes bigger drop em round my ankles and walk like iv got piles waving W signs about

SORTED!
Old 14-07-2009, 11:01 AM
56oval
Virgin

oh dear here we go ,well im not one of those and to be honest youll only catch them at gti fest etc us aircoolers are different breed mate
Old 14-07-2009, 11:18 AM
MAMBOMAN
Virgin

Originally Posted by 56oval
oh dear here we go ,well im not one of those and to be honest youll only catch them at gti fest etc us aircoolers are different breed mate

QFT, we aint like that
aircooled scene is its own scene mainly...
Old 14-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

good to know mate

heres my ideal dub

somethng along these lines i am a real fan of

amidst all the piss taking i am a fan
Old 14-07-2009, 11:22 AM
56oval
Virgin

good to know mate

heres my ideal dub

somethng along these lines i am a real fan of

amidst all the piss taking i am a fan
yep i agree not bad for a waterpumper and i even owed one many years ago
Old 14-07-2009, 11:22 AM
MAMBOMAN
Virgin

i like the BBS, smoothed front panel, altho it would look nicer in single wiper IMHO, thing is... I'm not into H2o's much but rhey are cool except Kias and a few other things....

i think that if someone is passionate about cars, even modifying etc, then we shouldn't put divides between our scenes, we could all learn a lot from eachothers autostyling instead of taking the piss?
Old 14-07-2009, 11:31 AM
woolford
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by malyon
Old 14-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rat look is cool as fuck! Each to there own and all that!
Old 14-07-2009, 11:51 AM
FIESTAHH

Originally Posted by Grahamdub
this is my toy
UGLY, girly car.
Old 14-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A big welcome to our new 2 dub loving PF members

I was thinking of taking some DUB inspiration on my car

Side exit 'zorst' flush bumpers, flush number plate recess, d-locked and d-handled, single wiper, take rubbing strips off, headlamp wipers, wiper scuttle panel smoothed, blended in skirts, then flush the engine bay followed buy 20 12 inch subs

then il change my dress sense and image by putting a finger in an electrical socket which will sort my hair out then buy some jeans a few sizes bigger drop em round my ankles and walk like iv got piles waving W signs about

SORTED!
Cant remember the last time i saw a rat look car that looked anything like the above description?!

Not really sure if the stereotypical image you have described is that accurate either?!

The main difference with the VW scene is they accept the rusty/used look with open arms, unlike most of the Ford scene who spend most of there lives fending it off!

Old 14-07-2009, 02:39 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

When will some of you learn that different people have different tastes? There's nothing like a bit of small-minded ill-informed xenophobia!
Old 14-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Redeye Jedi
Cant remember the last time i saw a rat look car that looked anything like the above description?!

Not really sure if the stereotypical image you have described is that accurate either?!

The main difference with the VW scene is they accept the rusty/used look with open arms, unlike most of the Ford scene who spend most of there lives fending it off!

mate you should have seen the edition 38 show, it was full of the described lol
Old 14-07-2009, 02:51 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by 56oval
yep i agree not bad for a waterpumper and i even owed one many years ago

Unfortunately its that kind of narrow mindedness that we are talking about.

Yes you are into your 'aircooled dubs' and nothing else it seems, which is fine. But why sign up to this forum and moan at a certain few who like fords and nothing else?

In my opinion rat look on newer cars looks shit. It only suits old hot rod type vehicles and older cars that are maintained properly, not just neglected.

Also in my opinion I think old volkswagens, vauxhalls, fiats and anything made in countries that eat dog are shit, however I am open-minded enough to appreciate that other people like them and that the saying 'whatever floats your boat' definately applies! So we shall do our 'thing' and you can do your 'thing'?

Everyone's happy
Old 14-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've not read the rest of this thread, but I LOVE proper rat-look. But IMO, rat-look is ONLY for Veedbubs. Certainly only cars of suitable age. Rat-looking a Sierra or Focus is just stupid.

I also greatly appreciate a good fast VW and know that there are Beetles out there with half the power of a given Cossie that would spank its ass on the strip.
Old 14-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMBOMAN
ridicule me if you will, but i could afford no paint after saving it from VW scrapyard in the sky
The difference is your VW and many of the other older VWs and american hot rods looked like that out of the necessity of finances and/or preferring to spend on speed than looks. That is what Rat look is and its not a "look" but a side consequence of what i said above.

Anything else where people ruin paintwork to make it look rusty etc is just contrived SHITE and bastardisation of the impression the original rat cars were.

Sadly its the same with most of the CHAV styling scene where its bastardisation of something theyve copied from else where. Just look at the bastardisation of spoilers now seen on saxos and the like!!!
Old 14-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Ren0
Virgin

Originally Posted by MAMBOMAN
Hi, I'm from over at the Volkszone forum.
i have just read all of this thread, some points I agree and what you're saying but with some i don't.
Ratlook in moderation is cool,( for example OZ and US imports where the paint has worn ( patina) can telll the life of a car) there are some excellent big engined monsters that are rat look, there is also Renos excellent Karmann which has been pictured in this thread, it is always argued that a shiny paint job is the best thing. My beetle was ratlook for a long while and there's something about it, pannels hat are different ETC it's great fun to be seen ina car that looks like it shoudnt be on the road.

as for the dude saying about body filler: there are some of the best welder/ fabricators working with Volkswagens, go onto the readers rides section and have a look before you say we use filler for everything.

I'm pretty sure that ratloook will live on, people wont always have a shinny paint job, if we all did the shinny thing it would all be very samey!
rock out, i'l have a good look through your forums now, seems an ok place
Ta

For anyone who missed it, MAMBOMAN is on about my 1959 Karmann Ghia with completely natural Patina.

As MAMBOMAN said, if you want to see what ACTUALLY goes into some of our cars instead of just listening to someone elses biased 'heresay' then come have a look through our readers rides section.

I'm not here to argue though, I tend to just pop up and say Hi whenever my name or car is mentioned.
Old 14-07-2009, 04:19 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Originally Posted by Ren0
Ta

For anyone who missed it, MAMBOMAN is on about my 1959 Karmann Ghia with completely natural Patina.

As MAMBOMAN said, if you want to see what ACTUALLY goes into some of our cars instead of just listening to someone elses biased 'heresay' then come have a look through our readers rides section.

I'm not here to argue though, I tend to just pop up and say Hi whenever my name or car is mentioned.
I like the look of the car mate. And it looks not bad with the rusty look, but would it really not look better with a lick of paint?

Not slagging it in any way, as i think it looks ok, just cant seem to get my head round what the idea behind it is

Quick Reply: rat look like the vw people