General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Iphone

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Drunken Master
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
It's nothing to do with which handset model it is, it's to do with which firmware revision it is on - any 2.0.x firmware cannot be software unlocked. You can jailbreak ANY firmware, but jailbreaking is NOT the same as unlocking....

As for getting a 2G - whats the point of that? I'm better off with my Nokia! You can't always get a wifi connection, and certainly not a constant one for push email and the like, so that makes the iPhone 2G about as good for internet and email use as an iPod touch - which, before anyone jumps in, is what I said from the start.... The ONLY bonus to a 2G model is they can be reverted to 1.1.4 firmware so you can software unlock it, 3G models cannot go back in firmware past 2.0, hence no unlock....
Wrong again. And who said anything about jailbreaking? Not me, I'm talking about using different service providers like I said "unlocking" I know the difference between that and using 3rd party applications. It is to do with the handset, 2.0.1 can be unlocked for 2G iphones. But even when 3G phones are put back to 2.0.1 they can't be unlocked. iSmart unlock can unlock 3G iphones, not exactly legal but what unlocking is.

For all I care keep your Nokia, but your missinformed.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Big Ow
Regular Contributor

It's nothing to do with which handset model it is, it's to do with which firmware revision it is on - any 2.0.x firmware cannot be software unlocked. You can jailbreak ANY firmware, but jailbreaking is NOT the same as unlocking....

As for getting a 2G - whats the point of that? I'm better off with my Nokia! You can't always get a wifi connection, and certainly not a constant one for push email and the like, so that makes the iPhone 2G about as good for internet and email use as an iPod touch - which, before anyone jumps in, is what I said from the start.... The ONLY bonus to a 2G model is they can be reverted to 1.1.4 firmware so you can software unlock it, 3G models cannot go back in firmware past 2.0, hence no unlock....
just read that again, how is an iphone 2g the same as a touch for internet?? i get push email to my iphone and that's through the normal gprs internet ( sometimes edge )
having internet wherever you are is not really like a touch is it?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:11 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by northernmonkey
if i don't get the mail thing sorted on mine it'll be going in the bin! lol

Make sure you buy some better headphones when you get it coz the standard ones suck cock.
You might have the same mis-understanding as me on this,can you not send e-mail is that the problem?

steve.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Drunken Master
Wrong again. And who said anything about jailbreaking? Not me, I'm talking about using different service providers like I said "unlocking" I know the difference between that and using 3rd party applications. It is to do with the handset, 2.0.1 can be unlocked for 2G iphones. But even when 3G phones are put back to 2.0.1 they can't be unlocked. iSmart unlock can unlock 3G iphones, not exactly legal but what unlocking is.

For all I care keep your Nokia, but your missinformed.
The internet as a whole, and there are bigger geeks out there than you - or me for that matter, disagree's.......
Old 04-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Drunken Master
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

So as a whole do they disagree with the iphone dev team that have unlocked the 2.0 software?

Last edited by Drunken Master; 04-09-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Big Ow
Regular Contributor

So as a whole do they disagree with the iphone dev team that have unlocked the 2.0 software?
as thrush said you can't unlock the 3g as of yet i don't think

easy enough to unlock/jailbreak the first gen phone but i havn't seen anywhere to unlock the 3g. most of the one's i've seen say they can only jailbreak the 3g, not unlock it
Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Not for the 3G phone, no. Which is what I said. 2G handsets can be unlocked, by rolling back to 1.1.4, unlocked and then updated, but 3G handsets can't be, as anything prior to 2.0 is not supported on the handset. Ask the devteam.....

The only two ways of running a 3G handset on a network other than the registered carrier in it's own country, thus far, is to use either a sim breaker/hijacker, which is unreliable in most cases, or use an officially unlocked handset from Apple, which are only available from a couple of countries. The only two I can remember at this time are Italy and Hong Kong. I did have an Apple.com webpage that showed the country and it's associated carrier(s) but I can't find the link for it.... I'll keep looking...

Last edited by Thrush; 04-09-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Big Ow
yeah i realised that, i mean unlock it just didn't realise 3g's couldn't be unlocked yet
Thought they would've managed it by now!

i know you say there's no point getting a 2g, i know you can't really compare 3g to a edge or gprs but apart from that and gps ( which isn't that great! ) there isn't any difference

Not sure what it's like around you, but we don't get great 3g signal here so there is no real difference between the 2 and 3g phones
I'd have hoped they would aswell. From my understanding, the main problem is that the USB connection to the phone from the 2.0 firmware is prohibited by Apple, and as of yet, no one seems to have been able to crack that - at least for unlocking. Apple, in their public SDK platform, and expressly prohibited any app builder from using the USB connection in any application - which is why there aren't any file transfer apps that can utilise the USB dock connector. FileMagnet (GREAT looking app btw, but at the mo only availble for OS X users, no Windows support yet) got round this by using wifi between Mac's and your iPhone to transfer files to and from, but so far no-ones been able to, or allowed to, use the USB within an app protocol.

The firmware revision has proved so far to be pretty tight, and Apple want to keep it that way - which is understandable! Apple lose money if their products can be hacked. Same as if they laxed the bluetooth and allowed bluetooth file push/pull - Apple lose money if you download a song to your iPhone from itunes then send it to everyone you meet using BT. I get that. DRM isn't on it's own strong enough to prevent that kind limitation (ie, limit only the ONE device to play that song/video, as there would be outcry if you couldn't transfer a song bought via your iPhone to your mac/PC)

So I understand entirely why Apple have done it. It's just a shame they decided to follow the direct money route of sell the exclusive contract to the highest bidder, rather than go for the domination market of letting all carriers push their product, and probably recieve a greater profit, albeit not in one fell swoop like they have with exclusive contracts......
Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Big Ow
Regular Contributor

I'd have hoped they would aswell. From my understanding, the main problem is that the USB connection to the phone from the 2.0 firmware is prohibited by Apple, and as of yet, no one seems to have been able to crack that - at least for unlocking. Apple, in their public SDK platform, and expressly prohibited any app builder from using the USB connection in any application - which is why there aren't any file transfer apps that can utilise the USB dock connector. FileMagnet (GREAT looking app btw, but at the mo only availble for OS X users, no Windows support yet) got round this by using wifi between Mac's and your iPhone to transfer files to and from, but so far no-ones been able to, or allowed to, use the USB within an app protocol.

The firmware revision has proved so far to be pretty tight, and Apple want to keep it that way - which is understandable! Apple lose money if their products can be hacked. Same as if they laxed the bluetooth and allowed bluetooth file push/pull - Apple lose money if you download a song to your iPhone from itunes then send it to everyone you meet using BT. I get that. DRM isn't on it's own strong enough to prevent that kind limitation (ie, limit only the ONE device to play that song/video, as there would be outcry if you couldn't transfer a song bought via your iPhone to your mac/PC)

So I understand entirely why Apple have done it. It's just a shame they decided to follow the direct money route of sell the exclusive contract to the highest bidder, rather than go for the domination market of letting all carriers push their product, and probably recieve a greater profit, albeit not in one fell swoop like they have with exclusive contracts......

still don't know why you think a first gen iphone is as good as a touch for using the internet though!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Because most of the time, I found that 2G/EDGE was so slow I didn't get the info I wanted before I had to give up and move on/carry on with what I was doing. The only tie I got it working how I wanted was when it was within range of a wifi network (unlocked one) and could do what I wanted to do on it at a reasonable speed.

3G is slow at the best of times, but EDGE/GPRS is awful.....

Thankfully, virtually everywhere I go I get decent 3G coverage, even at home, so to me, it's not worth getting an iPhone unless it's 3G....

Which is a shame as I preferred the look and feel of the first gen phone! I preferred the metal back, with it's nicer feeling flat back, over the new, curved, plastic model... But, I realise that sticking all those recievers in there, a metal back won't really cut it!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:38 AM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

FFS , just get one
i did and tbh its the best phone i have ever had, does the lot and the internet on it is unreal, if you need anything else on a phone your a fooking nerd.
ps, matt your a smelling hippy
Old 05-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Thanks Tony I love you too
Old 08-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

anyone actually got hotmail to work yet using the mail feature? or cant it be done due to the http protocol rather than using pop servers?
Old 08-09-2008, 08:17 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Well the guy sat here at work with his UK iPhone on Vodafone disagrees about not being able to use it on other networks!
Old 08-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Rich - which iPhone? Metal backed version 1, or plastic backed 3G model? If it's the latter, is he using a SIM breaker/hacker mod? If he has a UK 3G iphone, on a different network, without using a sim hacker, then I want to speak to him to find out how he did it as even the geek experts can't do this yet....
Old 08-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Ryan
anyone actually got hotmail to work yet using the mail feature? or cant it be done due to the http protocol rather than using pop servers?
Ryan, Hotmail isn't supported on the iPhone's "mail" client, but that can be worked around. My friend at work had the same problem, but you can do this to get all Hotmail forwarded to your iPhone;

First you need to open a google/gmail account. Do this here - https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount

Then follow these steps;

1) First open your gmail account, go to setting, then account, then under "send email as" click Add another email address, and then add your hotmail account info.

2) Then log into hotmail and confirm the gmail verification that you added the hotmail account

3) In Hotmail, go to Options, then select "Mobile alerts for new messages". Go through the steps (the verfication code could take upto 10 mins for you to get). Then when you are customizing the mobile service (on Hotmail), select that you don't want to recive text alerts when you recieve an email. click next and back to hotmail when you save it.

4) Then in Hotmail, go to options, and select "Forward mail to another e-mail account". now add your gmail account, and it will let you.

5) Test it out, you should get your hotmail emails forwarded to gmail, thus your iphone

Step 3 is the most important part as without doing this hotmail will just say you cannot forward mail to any other mail address other than .msn etc...

Personally I recommend ditching hotmail and using gmail as your full time email service, and doing the above will allow any mail still sent to your hotmail address to be forwarded to your iPhone using your gmail account. However, should you so wish to not have people use your new gmail address and carry on replying via hotmail, then you can do the following;

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...l&answer=22370

Lastly, remember to log into you hotmail accoutn via an internet browser every so often, if you don't use it regulary from your computer that is (ie, if you decided to use gmail full time) just so it stays active. I have no idea what MSN are like now as I haven't used hotmail for years, but my old account was shut down as I never bothered logging back in....
Old 08-09-2008, 06:35 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Version 1 I believe, which would explain it.....
Old 08-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Ah I see.... Well if you aren't fussed about 3G speeds, then you could get a 1st gen phone for (fairly) cheap second hand and unlock it to use with your own sim card?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

thrush, also any ideas why my phone wont use anything other than GPRS?

no edge no 3g, no wifi, even though i have a route and it says its connected, the symbol for wifi shows up with full signal but as soon as i open safari it switches to GPRS.

Also as i say i have never had 3g or edge working.

I have full 5 bar signal all the time.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Not without playing with it no, sorry. Thats strange as it should switch to wifi (when connected/available) as default over using cellular network connections...

SIlly question - but is the 3G enabled on the phone? In the settings menu?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

yes 3g is enabled mate.

seems very odd i know, not a clue why it does it.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

everything works on the phone i.e map, you tube and safari, just all using GPRS.

obviously i cant access the videos or itunes as its too slow.

and wont let me access itunes at all as it says it needs a WIFI connection when there clearly is one, as it says my phone is connected to one with full signal strength
Old 08-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Next silly question - are you in a 3G reception area? If yo uare you should see "3G" in a little square on the top bar of the phone...
Old 08-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Big Ow
Regular Contributor

yes 3g is enabled mate.

seems very odd i know, not a clue why it does it.
I'd guess its cos your not in a 3g signal area as thrush said.

I get gprs the majority of the time around my house, and Edge in other areas.
Same with my dad's 3g, doesn't get 3g around here.

As for the wifi, have you set it up correctly? do you have any security stuff on your wifi?

If it is connected i dont know why it would disconnect when you open safari
Old 08-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

according to o2's website im in in full coverage for 3g, edge and even HDSPA whatever that is.

my postcode is SO53.

No 3G symbol on my phone, although it is turned on in settings and its on the O2 3G network.

regards the router, its a BT homehub and has security, but i put in the WEP key and it says its connected, same way i've done for both the PS3 and the Xbox, and my old PDA, etc etc, all worked fine. maybe theres some specific setting that need to be done?

as said it connects, and shows the full 3 bars of wifi strength, when in the home menu, then as soon as you use an app that requires the internet, i.e safari, mail, itunes, youtube or weather etc, it drop the wifi signal and then reverts back to GPRS, and then tells me i have no wifi connection, then as soon as i go back to home menu low and behold the WIFI icon pops back up.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Big Ow
Regular Contributor

according to o2's website im in in full coverage for 3g, edge and even HDSPA whatever that is.

my postcode is SO53.

No 3G symbol on my phone, although it is turned on in settings and its on the O2 3G network.

regards the router, its a BT homehub and has security, but i put in the WEP key and it says its connected, same way i've done for both the PS3 and the Xbox, and my old PDA, etc etc, all worked fine. maybe theres some specific setting that need to be done?

as said it connects, and shows the full 3 bars of wifi strength, when in the home menu, then as soon as you use an app that requires the internet, i.e safari, mail, itunes, youtube or weather etc, it drop the wifi signal and then reverts back to GPRS, and then tells me i have no wifi connection, then as soon as i go back to home menu low and behold the WIFI icon pops back up.
try turning 3g on and off, and airplane mode on and off to see if thatdoes anything about the 3g.

as for the wifi, when you go into settings>wifi does it show the network name with a tick?
Old 08-09-2008, 10:51 PM
BANNED
BANNED

this 3g one is unlocked?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iPhone-3G-8GB-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Big Ow
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Ebay Ad

Now a bit about the unlock: this is not a software based unlock, as that one is not available yet - but u wont even need it with this. It is a plastic plate under the sim in the sim tray, as thin as paper. Put the sim onto it, pop in, switch on -> ready to roll. This one WORKS fine with all functions of the phone, smooth and fast 3G data connection.. just like a factory unlocked one. Most of the DIY unlock solutions for the 3G iPhone come with data connection problems. In this case, the whole thing has been programmed to this specific model - (it is still on 2.0 original firmware for u guys keepin' an eye on iphone dev team). If you're unsure, please check the pictures - my name and ebay uk is on the screen along with 3 UK network logo and 3G for data transfer. This solution does not affect the warranty at all. If u need help, I can install your card myself in 3 seconds if u do cash on collection. All questions are more than welcome
sounds a bit of a weird way to unlock it! never heard of that before

Last edited by Big Ow; 08-09-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Thats a sim breaker, also known by names such as "rebel sim" or "turbo sim" and sold by company's like "anynetwork"

The reports on these are widely varied - some say they have no problems, some say they simply don't work. Some get full use of the phone, but no data connectivity, some get everything, but sporadically on and off, and some say they work fine, then all of a sudden stop working... I must admit, even tho it's the cheapest option to buy an offline UK phone and stick a sim hacker in it, the risk is it could end up being a stupidly expensive paperweight.........
Old 09-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

occasionally have got 3g to work now arround the house, so must purely be a area/signal thing.

but the wifi thing is still bugging the living shit out of me.

anyone set one up on a bt homehub?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cant be fucked to read any of this but unlocked/jailbroken loads of these. whats the prob with wireless ryan?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 AM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can fully unlocked iphones from abroad, that were designed for certain markets where its illegeal for apple to tie the handset down, these are fetching 700 quid plus.

i think ill wait for my n96 to be delivered

ryan,

make sure o2 havnt capped your data, they are known to do this (ive been with them 10 odd yeras)

if you want a tochscreen phonme, then its HTC all the way, got there before apple.

ive owned iphone/virtually every top end nokia and htc phone and ive gone back to nokia

until apple fix the iphone as at the min its more of a fashion icon then phone imo
Old 09-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

andy, says its connected to wireless, but never uses the connection, always uses GPRS, has full signal and shows in the main home menu, but then goes as soon as an app tries to use the internet.

ranj, even on wifi? its a brand new contract.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by RANJ
you can fully unlocked iphones from abroad, that were designed for certain markets where its illegeal for apple to tie the handset down, these are fetching 700 quid plus.

i think ill wait for my n96 to be delivered

ryan,

make sure o2 havnt capped your data, they are known to do this (ive been with them 10 odd yeras)

if you want a tochscreen phonme, then its HTC all the way, got there before apple.

ive owned iphone/virtually every top end nokia and htc phone and ive gone back to nokia

until apple fix the iphone as at the min its more of a fashion icon then phone imo
Yes, already said this - Italy, Hong Kong and Greece, and allegedly Austrailia, all have iphones fully unlocked to use on any carrier as local law dictates this...

In regard to data capping, that won't affect wifi connectivity...

As for your last comment - I fully agree - as a phone it's shit. But as a handheld Mac it's excellent
Old 09-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Hey Dude, forget about the iphone.

I work for apple as a technician and i can tell you honestly that the phone is over hyped.

Its all good it has 3G. The only thing that work really well on the phone is its GPS. The GPS is the most amazing i've come across in a phone.

Heres where the problem is, Using the 3G along with another application like the iPod feature, Your standby time is reduced to 3 hours. Now that is really poorly. Make a call while those application are running and your looking at 45 to 1hour call time.

I returned mine after 4 days cos i just thought it still doesn't do what i want it to do although it was a company phone i still didn't want it.

If your looking for a new handset, Hold yourself for the Nokia Tube which is Nokia Touch phone (it was in Batman Dark Knight). That phone interms of spec will kill the iPhone, Bury it and then Dig it up again and kill it again for good measure. I'll admit i hate PC. I have a 5K Mac pro and a MacBook Pro. And apple software is great stuff. However, We all know Nokias top of the range phones are Symbian operated which you are capable of catching viruses but Nokia know better than anyone else how to make a phone which is why they haven't released a touch phone yet. They are the last in the industry to release one.

Just wait till end of the year and get one of those and i'm pretty sure you will not disappointed.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Big Ow
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by stillbornhq
Hey Dude, forget about the iphone.

I work for apple as a technician and i can tell you honestly that the phone is over hyped.

Its all good it has 3G. The only thing that work really well on the phone is its GPS. The GPS is the most amazing i've come across in a phone.

Heres where the problem is, Using the 3G along with another application like the iPod feature, Your standby time is reduced to 3 hours. Now that is really poorly. Make a call while those application are running and your looking at 45 to 1hour call time.

I returned mine after 4 days cos i just thought it still doesn't do what i want it to do although it was a company phone i still didn't want it.

If your looking for a new handset, Hold yourself for the Nokia Tube which is Nokia Touch phone (it was in Batman Dark Knight). That phone interms of spec will kill the iPhone, Bury it and then Dig it up again and kill it again for good measure. I'll admit i hate PC. I have a 5K Mac pro and a MacBook Pro. And apple software is great stuff. However, We all know Nokias top of the range phones are Symbian operated which you are capable of catching viruses but Nokia know better than anyone else how to make a phone which is why they haven't released a touch phone yet. They are the last in the industry to release one.

Just wait till end of the year and get one of those and i'm pretty sure you will not disappointed.
think its a bit late now, he's already got one!

and anyway, the majority of people seem pretty impressed with it - bar a few niggles!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

its ok as a it is, im not a teechno geek who will spend his life on the phone, if i want a good camera, i'll go buy and SLR, if i want a good sat nav, i'll get a tom tom or something, its just a handy device to have whilst on the move.

if i lived on my phone like some people do i might hold out for something better, but at the end of the day its just a phone, it makes and recieves calls, thas all a phone needs to do.