General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Heart Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 27-08-2008, 06:03 PM
xVickyDx
Vix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heart Troubles

Hey people....

Ive had a dodgy heart for years now and it was only recentley when i collapsed at the gym twice and ended up with numb hands and tongue that i decided to go to the doctors.

Went there yesterday and he is really worried i got sent for blood tests and xrays this morning and then ive gotta go for an ECG scan and a 24 hour echo scan thing i was just wondering if anyones had these scans before coz im actually really scared. I was like a big pansey having my blood test done this morning crying and all sorts and im just worried about these bigger tests now.

Doc thinks i may have a condition called Hypotrophic cardiomapothy its sucks im banned from having any form of caffine untill october !! this includes tea, which i abouslte love, and chocolate !!! how on earth am i gonna survive without chocolate cant ya buy caffine free chocolate ? lol

sorry for the essay im just really worried about these heart scans and test just wondered if anyone had an experiance of whatever ??

x Vicky D x
Old 27-08-2008, 06:06 PM
StephTell
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my tea and my coffee but the Caffeine makes my heart go apeshit so I guess I'd best stay away from them as well...

Giving up on certain foods or things like smoking isn't that hard though...especially if it makes you feel better!
Old 27-08-2008, 06:06 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

ECG and echo scans arent scary, echo scan is like a baby scan thing.
Dont worry about the scans, hope you are ok.

Had alot of experience round this sort of thing in my family. If you dont smoke or hit the crack pipe (and go gym like you say) then you're in a much better place than me, 20 a day

Chin up

Last edited by SteveH; 27-08-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 27-08-2008, 06:08 PM
xVickyDx
Vix

Yea i know what you mean just i love diet coke, red bull and chocolate and now i cant have none gonna be well hard lol but as you said i guess ive gotta give it up as apparently if i have got this heart condition its serious im just really scared lol
Old 27-08-2008, 06:09 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my missus is going thru the same thing at the mo,u should of got it sorted eariler!
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by xVickyDx
Yea i know what you mean just i love diet coke, red bull and chocolate and now i cant have none gonna be well hard lol but as you said i guess ive gotta give it up as apparently if i have got this heart condition its serious im just really scared lol
Just do what you're told, it's for the best.
xVickyDx
Vix

Originally Posted by SteveH
ECG and echo scans arent scary, echo scan is like a baby scan thing.
Dont worry about the scans, hope you are ok.

Had alot of experience round this sort of thing in my family. If you dont smoke or hit the crack pipe (and go gym like you say) then you're in a much better place than me, 20 a day

Chin up

cheers hun thing is i do smoke only about 10 a day but the doc said the smokings got nothing to do with my heart he ssaid obviously it dont help but lol
Old 27-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Im sure you will be fine, stay well away from the red bull though . i dont drink alot of that now as it was making me feel sick after 5/6 a day
Old 27-08-2008, 06:11 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was put into an ambulance after red bull, had a massive anxiety attack!
Old 27-08-2008, 06:12 PM
xVickyDx
Vix

yea but you drink loads dave !! lol
Old 27-08-2008, 06:12 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

cheers hun thing is i do smoke only about 10 a day but the doc said the smokings got nothing to do with my heart he ssaid obviously it dont help but lol
Your doc said that?
Old 27-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

You can get de-caff diet coke I drink it as not able to have any caffine either, mines to do with panic attacks.

Sure everything will be fine, good luck with the tests.
Old 27-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

yea but you drink loads dave !! lol

I know ...............well used to anyway, my teeth are killing me and when i pissed it smelt of RED BULL ,aint no joke
Old 27-08-2008, 06:16 PM
xVickyDx
Vix

caffine free diet coke ??? omg i need that lol
Old 27-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

My mum had a heart operation in 2006 I think it was now. Constantly in for scans up until the Op, in and out, constant uncertainty. Then the operation came, I couldn't even bare to go visit her. After losing my dad a few years back I can't stand to even think about losing her. She had a scare last year and I turned into an absolute fucking wreck! I was screaming down the phone to the Ambulance to hurry up, I just flipped and saw everything flash before my eyes and I'm not ashamed to say I was crying... I thought I was losing the one thing in my life thats important to me

More importantly now though she's OK, she is plodding through life, gets the occasional rough day where she just needs to rest.

The initial scans were scary for her but the bitch kept them from me as not to worry me. I think the important thing is if your scared you need to pester the hell out of your Doctor and ask them all the questions as they'll be able to give you more accurate and relevant answers.

Up until the point where you find out whats wrong, just take it easy on the caffeine and try not to worry too much as it won't help you at all.

Anything with the heart scares me but back to YOU I think the best thing you could do in terms of diet is perhaps get a good friend to diet with you. They could help you through it and you won't feel so alone then.

Last edited by Rick Astley; 27-08-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 27-08-2008, 06:19 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Watch the chemicals in diet drinks alot have aspartame in them....

http://www.natali.co.uk/aspartame.htm

Bit of a row about it at the minute, but i always read my labels.

Good luck with he scan Vicky.

Steve
Old 27-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Comes in a gold can, they've been doing that since at least the early 90's
Old 27-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Yeah, dont taste too bad either.
Old 27-08-2008, 06:22 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveH
Your doc said that?
my missus's doctor told her tht to,how stupid!
Old 27-08-2008, 06:24 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do Milkybars have caffine?
Old 27-08-2008, 06:29 PM
xVickyDx
Vix

Originally Posted by doesntbelong
My mum had a heart operation in 2006 I think it was now. Constantly in for scans up until the Op, in and out, constant uncertainty. Then the operation came, I couldn't even bare to go visit her. After losing my dad a few years back I can't stand to even think about losing her. She had a scare last year and I turned into an absolute fucking wreck! I was screaming down the phone to the Ambulance to hurry up, I just flipped and saw everything flash before my eyes and I'm not ashamed to say I was crying... I thought I was losing the one thing in my life thats important to me

More importantly now though she's OK, she is plodding through life, gets the occasional rough day where she just needs to rest.

The initial scans were scary for her but the bitch kept them from me as not to worry me. I think the important thing is if your scared you need to pester the hell out of your Doctor and ask them all the questions as they'll be able to give you more accurate and relevant answers.

Up until the point where you find out whats wrong, just take it easy on the caffeine and try not to worry too much as it won't help you at all.

Anything with the heart scares me but back to YOU I think the best thing you could do in terms of diet is perhaps get a good friend to diet with you. They could help you through it and you won't feel so alone then.
Thanks for the advice hun, glad ur mums doing ok now you were bound to be worried, yea ive been told ive gotta take it easy and not get stressed and just relax but if got so much stress at the minute grrrrr

The whole diet thing is stupid coz i got tested for thyroid to as ive lost a stone in weight for no apparent reason. i dont wanna loose weight my size 8 jeans are baggy on me and im just worried that now with all this stress and the cutting out chocolate and stuff which was a big part of my diet im gonna end up skin and bones lol
Old 27-08-2008, 06:43 PM
smerth54
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

my sisters had loads of ecg's and echo scans nothing to worry about. as 4 the chocolate i havnt a clue but it prob wouldn't taste very nice lol. hasn't green tea got no caffeine in it?

how it all gets sorted tho
Old 27-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by smerth54
my sisters had loads of ecg's and echo scans nothing to worry about. as 4 the chocolate i havnt a clue but it prob wouldn't taste very nice lol. hasn't green tea got no caffeine in it?

how it all gets sorted tho
You need to have caffiene free tea as decaf will have some in it.

Mark
Old 27-08-2008, 06:57 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Refering to another thread Vicky, first thing to do, STOP SMOKING! Worst one you are doing out of all the the things your doing and eating.
Old 27-08-2008, 07:21 PM
xVickyDx
Vix

yea i no what ya mean i need help to quit so i will be contacting nhs line lol
Old 27-08-2008, 08:12 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Yeah deffo stop smoking, and have a word with the doc who reckons smoking has nothing to do with your heart - ask my Dad about that
If you get told to lay off caffeine - green tea is - - its full of antioxidants, and as for coffee, soft drinks, red bull, fatty foods: I would say avoid, not necessarily stop altogether, just have everything in moderation, maybe stop one thing at a time. Obviously if your doc says otherwise then do that,
Old 27-08-2008, 08:30 PM
mk3matt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

ive had a few ecg's to do with a iregular heartbeat ( still didnt get any answers lol)

but tbh, theyre nuting to worry about, i dnt worrymuch bout them, but once ya there, its a great time to just chill out, sleep, do fuk all basicly!
Old 27-08-2008, 08:41 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Found out last week that heart probs run in my family (my mum had to have some tests and has been told she needs open heart surgery and have a valve replaced later this year). I have had an ECG years ago due to another problem they were concerned with, fortunatly for me all was ok then but who knows now with the problem they have found with my mum which is a hereditary (spl) condition.

Steve.
Old 27-08-2008, 08:42 PM
xVickyDx
Vix

Yea gonan quit smoking will speak to nhs and get help with that and defo change my diet im sure i can live without caffine cant be that hard surely

does these scans involve needles ???
Old 27-08-2008, 08:46 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Nope no needles

ECG is the one were they stick pads on ya body, and an echo scan is a bit like what pregnant women get on there belly, with a scan head thingy.
Technical hey
Old 27-08-2008, 09:04 PM
xVickyDx
Vix

Thats a result then i was certain i was gonna have needles and after the hissy fit today at the hospital making myself look like a right prat i didnt want to go through that drama again. some of the looks i got i swear it sounded as if i was gonna be murdered lol

But then it did make me even more nervous that i had to go to the hospital on my own lol
Old 27-08-2008, 09:08 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

You'll be fine, hope the results are good too.
Old 27-08-2008, 09:33 PM
xVickyDx
Vix

lol thanks im sure everything will be fine but better to be safe then sorry i guess
Old 27-08-2008, 09:44 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I hope everything works out ok for you

I couldn't live without tea

Steve.
Old 27-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I wouldn't worry about the scans, they will be fine. All the best.

Benni.
Old 27-08-2008, 10:30 PM
smartrs
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i also have had problems with my heart starting from birth with a hole moving on to the rythem beining in af and just recently having 2 month in hospital being treated for endocarditus. all may be related or not . the best advise is to leasten to what the doctors tell you and always be honnest with your answers to them as it will help them get to the bottom of the problem and no it is not always to do with you life style but the doctors will soon tell you if it is . as for the ecg it a quick painless thing about 5 mins connected up to a machine and out pops a chart for the docs to read , as for the 24 hr montoring this is much the same excpt you are connected to a portable device and you go about your day as normal excpt its a bit of a pain in the arse being connected to it for 24 hrs , i found sleeping the hard bit.
Old 28-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

sounds like you need a whole body and lifestyle check up really!! Collapsing can be for all sorts of reasons, NOT eating enough, wrong diet, exercise at wrongtimes (eg working out when you already have a low blood sugar due to not eating), stress, anxiety, heart problems etc etc etc.

You can sometimes even cause minor heart problems from stuff such as excessive caffiene, dietry issues, stress, lack of sleep, and illegal drugs.

Hopefully a change of lifestyle might solve the problems!! For example my girlfriend was at one point drinking 8-10 cans of redbull a DAY while being stressed and not eating properly and she was surprised she was collapsing and had heart problems!!!

I had a few issues with my ticker a few years back due to excessive caffienne and reducing it solved the problems.

ECG's and heart checks are no pain except if your hairy where any pads get stuck and they rip them off. But somehow i dont think youll have that problem

Ask them to explain what they looking for and you might even get to keep a copy of the printout

see!!! im still alive!
Old 28-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caffine Free alternatives to Coffie and Hot Choc

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...ernatives.html

Some vegan chocolate is caffine free i understand

Heres a good site to show you what has caffine, its shit loads of stuff

http://www.caffeinefree.net/caffeine/content/
Old 28-08-2008, 07:30 AM
xVickyDx
Vix

aww thanks for all the advice everyone, I certainly feel alot better about having these tests done them websites are really good cheers turbocabbie but your right theres way loads of stuff