General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Employment Rights?

Search this Thread

Old 26-08-2008, 12:42 PM
rscombi.
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Employment Rights?

ive got wind that im gettin the boot on friday and ive done nothing wrong!!?? been with the firm since dec 07, what rights have i got cos this is seriously gonna fuck me up????
Old 26-08-2008, 12:44 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Firstly, speak to someone in charge and ask them if the rumour is true. No point getting worked up if it isn't. If it is, then I, personally am not sure.
Old 26-08-2008, 01:02 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

depends on what the company policy is
you've not been there a year yet so it could be last in first out
more than likely someone is winding you up though, ut speak to someone about it if it's making you want to change your underwear
Old 26-08-2008, 01:16 PM
rscombi.
PassionFord Regular

heard from pretty high up so think it aint a wind up, theres procedures tho i think like a certain amount of notice etc. cant just sack me on the day surely.
Old 26-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

1) are you a permanent employee
2) are you on a probationary period (ie 6months to start with etc.)

if you are permanenet and not on probation then youre right they cannot sack you for no reason (if they do you can take them to the cleaners)
Old 26-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

the uk is in recession
Old 26-08-2008, 01:36 PM
RichardJPF

Hi there,

a few things that certainly aren't meant to worry you and please remember they are very generic given there are no details of your contract of employment in your post:

1) There won't or rather shouldn't be a last in first out policy in place due to age discrimination legislation - if it is a true redundancy situation the selection criteria would / should have to avoid areas of potential discrimination. Unfortunately, if it is a redundancy situation given that you have less than 2 years service you would only be entitled to your contractual notice pay and not additionaly redundancy pay (unless your contract of employment provided otherwise). If there is only you affected, then legally they is no minimum consultation period for redundancy situations either.

2) What is the status of your contract of employment (i.e. 'permanent', 'temporary', 'fixed term')?

3) You should have been provided with a copy of the company's disciplinary and grievance procedures certainly by now - it will be worthwhile reading through those.

4) Given 3 above though, if you haven't 'done anything wrong' it is doubtful that you would be subject to disciplinary proceedings in any event, unless you are currently unaware of any alleged wrongdoing.

5) If it is a disciplinary issue, there is legislation that should be followed, otherwise if the outcome is dismissal it is automatically unfair despite your length of service being less than one year. The first thing your employer should do is confirm in writing your requirement to attend a formal hearing to discuss the issue(s) of concern. They should set out what their concern(s) is/are and also provide you with the right to accompaniment (Trade Union official or willing colleague of your choice) to any such hearing. You should also be allowed reasonable time between recieving your letter and the hearing taking place.

6) If any disciplinary action is then taken, they should allow you the right to appeal against any such action.

7) You can obtain free advice from your local ACAS office over the telephone (do a google search) and also obtain useful information to read through on their website www.acas.gov.uk.

8) The earlier advice is sound too depending on your relationship with your line manager about asking the question as you have heard something on the jungle drums you need to know about.

Hope it all works out.

Kind regards

Richard
Old 26-08-2008, 02:13 PM
rscombi.
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
1) are you a permanent employee
2) are you on a probationary period (ie 6months to start with etc.)

if you are permanenet and not on probation then youre right they cannot sack you for no reason (if they do you can take them to the cleaners)
1. yes
2. no
Old 26-08-2008, 02:14 PM
rscombi.
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by RichardJPF
Hi there,

a few things that certainly aren't meant to worry you and please remember they are very generic given there are no details of your contract of employment in your post:

1) There won't or rather shouldn't be a last in first out policy in place due to age discrimination legislation - if it is a true redundancy situation the selection criteria would / should have to avoid areas of potential discrimination. Unfortunately, if it is a redundancy situation given that you have less than 2 years service you would only be entitled to your contractual notice pay and not additionaly redundancy pay (unless your contract of employment provided otherwise). If there is only you affected, then legally they is no minimum consultation period for redundancy situations either.

2) What is the status of your contract of employment (i.e. 'permanent', 'temporary', 'fixed term')?

3) You should have been provided with a copy of the company's disciplinary and grievance procedures certainly by now - it will be worthwhile reading through those.

4) Given 3 above though, if you haven't 'done anything wrong' it is doubtful that you would be subject to disciplinary proceedings in any event, unless you are currently unaware of any alleged wrongdoing.

5) If it is a disciplinary issue, there is legislation that should be followed, otherwise if the outcome is dismissal it is automatically unfair despite your length of service being less than one year. The first thing your employer should do is confirm in writing your requirement to attend a formal hearing to discuss the issue(s) of concern. They should set out what their concern(s) is/are and also provide you with the right to accompaniment (Trade Union official or willing colleague of your choice) to any such hearing. You should also be allowed reasonable time between recieving your letter and the hearing taking place.

6) If any disciplinary action is then taken, they should allow you the right to appeal against any such action.

7) You can obtain free advice from your local ACAS office over the telephone (do a google search) and also obtain useful information to read through on their website www.acas.gov.uk.

8) The earlier advice is sound too depending on your relationship with your line manager about asking the question as you have heard something on the jungle drums you need to know about.

Hope it all works out.

Kind regards

Richard
blimey u know ur stuff! or was that cut and paste from another site?? hmmmm, no seriously cheers dude
Old 26-08-2008, 02:39 PM
RichardJPF

I work in Human Resources mate that's all.

Take care

Richard
Old 26-08-2008, 02:51 PM
dojj

we had a load of guys get their "redundancy" orders a few years ago

they were offered a 1 month take it or leave it offer as they were cutting staf numbers and wanted to offer the money to some of the guys befoer having to tell them they wern't getting any money and fooking them off

enough peole appiled to take the money and run so there were no actual casualties
Old 29-08-2008, 01:18 PM
rscombi.
PassionFord Regular

well its friday and im home already that can only mean 1 thing! i got the spanish archer, i went in the office armed with my bits of paper tho and reeled off a load of questions, bossman looked flustered like o shit he knows what hes on about. i got the money im owed plus weeks pay instead of weeks notice plus another weeks money result! new gearbox 4 the combi paid 4 !!
Old 29-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they say why?
Old 29-08-2008, 04:52 PM
mark_24v_wiring
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Hope you get another job fast mate
Old 29-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

you have the right to get another job
Old 29-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Not a good time to lose your job really!!!!
Old 29-08-2008, 05:30 PM
dojj

have you got another job lined up?

or are you going to piss pon off by becoming a sponging pikey?
Old 29-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Punkie
For Sale..Apply within.

Basically, speaking from experience...if you havent been employed by a company for more that a year you are their bitch.

If they sack you, you have no grounds to complain unless the folowing apply:
  • you attempted to use a statutory employment right (taking breaks entitled by law, parental leave)
  • youre pregnant
  • youre a member/ refusing to become a member of a trade union

Last edited by Punkie; 29-08-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 30-08-2008, 03:25 PM
rscombi.
PassionFord Regular

yeah got another 1 lined up so be having 2 wages coming in 4 the next 3 or so weeks, touch. didnt get an answer as to y i got the bullet but to be honest ive got my money and im glad to be out of there ,
Old 30-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

didnt get an answer as to y i got the bullet
so after asking for advise and being given some really good stuff you let them SACK you without giving an explination

well done
Old 30-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
so after asking for advise and being given some really good stuff you let them SACK you without giving an explination

well done
mate he OBV knows as he would have to have been given a interview when leaving employment,,, as otherwise he goes to CAB and the dole office and they will help him

nobody gets sacked with out knowing about it, managers have to cover there arses alot more than employees

he would have had to sign the reason why he was sacked and someone there taking notes of the replys

been suspended a few times in my past and also been "performance managed" too
Old 31-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Ginge !
mate he OBV knows as he would have to have been given a interview when leaving employment,,, as otherwise he goes to CAB and the dole office and they will help him

nobody gets sacked with out knowing about it, managers have to cover there arses alot more than employees

he would have had to sign the reason why he was sacked and someone there taking notes of the replys

been suspended a few times in my past and also been "performance managed" too
erm...
didnt get an answer as to y i got the bullet