General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

which car alarm is the best

Search this Thread

Old 22-08-2008, 10:44 PM
FIESTA CHRIS H
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which car alarm is the best

im currently looking into getting a car alarm and am not sure whether to get a toad alarm or a clifford alarm. Ive heard that clifford alarms are apparently more troublesome, i would also like to have remote start so i can heat the car up in the mornings . so i was just wondering what everyones opinion was of the two alarms. and also who would be best for fitting it, i live in london.
Old 22-08-2008, 10:46 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i was told by a professional to get a toad
i asked him what he had on his car as he sold both and toad was the answer!
Old 22-08-2008, 10:47 PM
purplesaff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a clifford on my saff which had remote start,electric window shut from keyforb etc etc never had a problem with mine

..... just on a side note rememember to leave it out of gear
Old 22-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Toad AI606 would be the one I would go for imo.

Had them on four of my cars now and just about to put one one my current car.

Not had one problem with any of them!!

The Clifford I had on my series 2 on the other hand, I thought personally was crap compared to the Toad.

Always going off, wouldnt disarm nearly everytime I went to a petrol station, would lock the doors automatically even if you didnt want it to etc.....

Wouldnt touch another one again personally.
Old 22-08-2008, 10:59 PM
FIESTA CHRIS H

Originally Posted by purplesaff
I had a clifford on my saff which had remote start,electric window shut from keyforb etc etc never had a problem with mine

..... just on a side note rememember to leave it out of gear
how much would i be looking at paying and who would you recommend to fit it. Ive been told if a clifford is fitted by someone who knows what they are doing they dont have any problems.

and i always leave my car out of gear
Old 22-08-2008, 11:01 PM
FIESTA CHRIS H

Originally Posted by Kitchen Devil

The Clifford I had on my series 2 on the other hand, I thought personally was crap compared to the Toad.

Always going off, wouldnt disarm nearly everytime I went to a petrol station, would lock the doors automatically even if you didnt want it to etc.....

this is exactly wot is worrying me about clifford. do toad do an alarm with remote start and rough price
Old 22-08-2008, 11:03 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

toad AI606 is what i had!no remote start etc though

Trending Topics

Old 22-08-2008, 11:07 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FIESTA CHRIS H
how much would i be looking at paying and who would you recommend to fit it. Ive been told if a clifford is fitted by someone who knows what they are doing they dont have any problems.

and i always leave my car out of gear

yes thats correct, if you get it fitted by a certified clifford "bod" you shouldnt have any problems, i mean my last car(golf) had a clifford fitted and i never had a problem in the 6months i owned the car, that was using it everyday and it never false alarmed, AND i found a reciept and it was fitted 7 years ago, so there you go.
And on my current car ive got a Toad AI606 as above, which also seems to be very good.
Ive only had this car 3 days but so far it seems very good and nice to use with good functions and addons like remote start etc

To be honest then, you'd be fine with either but you mayaswell go with the one that everyone praise's the most..................... TOAD
Old 22-08-2008, 11:13 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
toad AI606 is what i had!no remote start etc though
That can be added on, but i was abit dissapointed that it never had full closure, but never mind its not hard to close the windows before turning off and its nateral to me anyway.
Old 22-08-2008, 11:13 PM
purplesaff

I had mine fitted by a car audio and security company down in worthing which was a approved retail and fitter for cliffords got a cert and life time warrenty i paid 375 for mine only problem i did have was the battery went in the keyfob but when your using it loads a time a day cant expect anything else so i dont look at that as a problem and they replaced it free of charge to as i say i never had any problems with it on a genuine level used the car as a daily driver to .
Old 22-08-2008, 11:16 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by purplesaff
I had mine fitted by a car audio and security company down in worthing which was a approved retail and fitter for cliffords got a cert and life time warrenty i paid 375 for mine only problem i did have was the battery went in the keyfob but when your using it loads a time a day cant expect anything else so i dont look at that as a problem and they replaced it free of charge to as i say i never had any problems with it on a genuine level used the car as a daily driver to .

How long did the battery last then? surly thats something you'd have to replace yourself anyway unless it went stupidly quick?
Old 23-08-2008, 07:11 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My toad eats batteries(key fob) but that apart is perfect.
Clifford can be nearly as reliable if fitted correctly but have more potential for things to go wrong as there is more on a clifford, the old "KISS" saying comes to mind.
Toad can be made total closure, as well as lots of other features, I used to fit alarms, had one problem with a toad, done under warranty next day, had more than few with correctly fitted cliffords though.
I prefered(and have) the ai600(nla) and the C5T2(2-1 upgrade), but ai606 is a excellent alarm and one I would not hesitate to fit.
tabetha
Old 23-08-2008, 07:54 AM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

TBH, the Toad and the Clifford are much of a muchness.

I used to fit both varieties and never had any problems. The difference between me and most other fitters though is that I used to take my time and fit it properly, not all in one place where it was easiest.

I generally recommend a Toad ai101CL or ai606 for people who just want an alarm that does what it says on the tin, but always remove the ultrasonics and fit a glass-break in its place as I will not warranty ultrasonics due to false-alarms. You then add any extra sensors as required.

A Clifford I recommend for people who want that bit more, remote start, anti-hijack, etc... and are more au-fait with their cars. A Clifford IS harder to fit, especially the G5 and G5.5 series as they operate a multiplex-style system so a pulse of less than 0.5 seconds might be a warn-away but longer would be a full activation. Some sensors may cause problems therefore if not suited to that type of alarm.

Another problem is the user/owner. An alarm may be set up fine when fitted, but then the customer goes and changes something (adds dark tints, changes seats, etc..) and suddenly the alarm is having to deal with another variable that was not there originally, which may require as slight adjustment (a prime example is prox. sensors and dark tints as they (the tints) have a slight metal content in them which affects the sensitivity of the sensor).

A lot of problems with Clifford alarms is the fitter putting sensors in an easy place, not the best place. The number of times I have seen dual-zone proximity sensors placed behind the gearstick is unbelievable. All that does is give lots of "dead-zones" as the wave will not pass through metal, so is blocked by things like seats, coins nearby affect it, etc... A harder place to install it would be in the rooflining, but most places think that is too much like hard work. A prox. sensor fitted there will not pick up passing trucks, trees nearby or a cat walking over your car @ 2am, etc. but will pick someone standing next to it and looking through the window, which is what the sensor is designed to do.

Also, with some sensors, they do actually settle once activated, so it may be worth re-checking a sensor and its sensitivity a couple of days later. Again, a lot of fitters do not do this. They may set it up in their workshop with all their fluorescent lights around, then send the customer on their way. The next thing the customer knows is that their alarm keeps going off as the sensor has re-adjusted slightly and is now outside its "safe zone". Clifford themselves even state in their installation instructions that it may be necessary to test and retest sensors for optimum positioning and not to test when surrounded by fluorescent lighting, but time and time again I see them being installed and setup next to these lights.

@ the end of the day, the decisions is yours. I know some people will slate me for my opinions, and some people will have opinions of their own. The best advice I can give is to speak to a few people with both types of alarm and see what they think (maybe see if you can have a play with their system for usability). Also, get an alarm installed that is suitable for YOU, not the installer. Too many Clifford installers want to fit the Concept 650 Cat1 as it is simple and they make nicely out of it, then they charge you extra for add-ons where as a higher-spec alarm might be a little dearer, but would have everything you want pre-installed for an overall cheaper price and with more room for upgrading later should you wish. Same as most Toad installers just want to install their "favourite" model as they sell loads and they can fit it quickly.

Last edited by iansoutham; 23-08-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 23-08-2008, 07:49 PM
FIESTA CHRIS H

thanks for the reply m8

u sound like you deffo know what your talking about
Old 23-08-2008, 07:57 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

That's a pretty fucking decent reply iansoutham! Pretty much spot on.

Interestingly...gearstick...proxy...NO WONDER MINE DOESN'T FUCKING PICK UP THE PASSENGER WINDOW HALF AS GOOD AS THE DRIVER ONE!!!!!!

The proxy fucking bum licks the drivers side of the car, doesn't have a problem going off on the driver's side. Passenger side, you have to be dancing with your arse on fire anddoing starjumps before it goes off! And I had the sensitivity adjusted a little higher at one point and every time I parked with drivers side closest to the road, EVERY SINGLE FUCKING time a car went past it went off!

Will be looking to relocate proxy methinks!
Old 23-08-2008, 07:58 PM
yellowsierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Kitchen Devil

I couldn't have put it better myself
I have had two cliffords and had trouble with them both
I have the toad full closure 606 and been as good as......well as it should be
My Daughter has just had a Toad fitted on her car as well
Old 23-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My last four cars have had Toad Ai606's, and Ive NEVER had a single problem or false alarm with any of them
Old 23-08-2008, 08:06 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

P.S. my alarm system is a toad ai606 with 2 stage proxy, 2 stage body/wheel, glass break, ultrasonics, remote start and pager.
Old 23-08-2008, 08:48 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

right who knows how to turn off the Anti hijack thing(ai606) i only had the car 3 days and its annoying, i get in the car, turn the ignition on and CHUNK im locked in i dont want to be locked in
How do i turn it off?
Old 23-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I asked for that to be turned off when mine were installed, not sure if you can do it yourself, but probably can! Isnt it in the manual?
Old 23-08-2008, 08:57 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

nope not as far as i can see, it just tells you how auto lock works and how its optional etc, nothing about turning it off.

I can ring an alarm place but thought someone might know on here, possibly that Ian guy above as he knows his stuff
Old 23-08-2008, 08:58 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

my cliffords been flawless for nearly 2 years now

depends on the fitter imho

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...er=asc&start=0

Old 23-08-2008, 09:03 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Toad Ai606 has anti hijack? Should be in your manual or if not download a pdf version of it. My anti hijack is through my car's ecu and not the toad. Although if the car has been in valet mode and I switch ignition on and disarm the toad immobilizer, it will lock the doors.
Old 23-08-2008, 09:07 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

But anyway it actually says in the manual "autolock feature" so thats just another name for it.

So your still sure its your car doing it and not the alarm?

EDITED to say it says that autolock is an optional extra

Last edited by BM08; 23-08-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 23-08-2008, 09:26 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

yep in focus software so could do it regardless of alarm system installed. goes something like ignition on/off/on x5 then lock/unlock doors 3 times etc etc then it bongs to tell you its worked.
Old 23-08-2008, 09:55 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by pani_k
yep in focus software so could do it regardless of alarm system installed. goes something like ignition on/off/on x5 then lock/unlock doors 3 times etc etc then it bongs to tell you its worked.

you've lost me

Its not important really, i mean it could stop me from getting hi jacked after all so i shouldnt whinge.
Old 23-08-2008, 10:28 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Basically it's the sequence you follow to activate it. You turn the ignition on and off in rapid succession 3 or 5 times can't remember. After you've done that you then lock and unlock the doors in rapid succession 3 times. You then turn the ignition off and turn it on and off in rapid succession 3 or 5 times. It then bongs at you to tell you it's active.

I'm trying to say when I did it, I followed a certain sequence to activate it. There is a similar procedure to deactivate it.
Old 23-08-2008, 11:10 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

ahh right, thats the thing with these alarms, it could be something as simple as that, or even easier, its just knowing how to do it.

Ive pm'ed Ian above as he seems to know an awful lot, hopefully he'll get back to me and shed some light.
Old 24-08-2008, 12:08 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i had a cat1 Cobra on my Saff and i couldnt fault it, Ł250 fitted too!
Old 24-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for the Toad Ai606, had these on my past few cars aswell as my current Evo
Old 24-08-2008, 11:59 AM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Originally Posted by BM08
ahh right, thats the thing with these alarms, it could be something as simple as that, or even easier, its just knowing how to do it.

Ive pm'ed Ian above as he seems to know an awful lot, hopefully he'll get back to me and shed some light.
pm received, replied to and email sent with info
Old 24-08-2008, 09:25 PM
FIESTA CHRIS H

Originally Posted by iansoutham
TBH, the Toad and the Clifford are much of a muchness.

I used to fit both varieties and never had any problems. The difference between me and most other fitters though is that I used to take my time and fit it properly, not all in one place where it was easiest.

I generally recommend a Toad ai101CL or ai606 for people who just want an alarm that does what it says on the tin, but always remove the ultrasonics and fit a glass-break in its place as I will not warranty ultrasonics due to false-alarms. You then add any extra sensors as required.

A Clifford I recommend for people who want that bit more, remote start, anti-hijack, etc... and are more au-fait with their cars. A Clifford IS harder to fit, especially the G5 and G5.5 series as they operate a multiplex-style system so a pulse of less than 0.5 seconds might be a warn-away but longer would be a full activation. Some sensors may cause problems therefore if not suited to that type of alarm.

Another problem is the user/owner. An alarm may be set up fine when fitted, but then the customer goes and changes something (adds dark tints, changes seats, etc..) and suddenly the alarm is having to deal with another variable that was not there originally, which may require as slight adjustment (a prime example is prox. sensors and dark tints as they (the tints) have a slight metal content in them which affects the sensitivity of the sensor).

A lot of problems with Clifford alarms is the fitter putting sensors in an easy place, not the best place. The number of times I have seen dual-zone proximity sensors placed behind the gearstick is unbelievable. All that does is give lots of "dead-zones" as the wave will not pass through metal, so is blocked by things like seats, coins nearby affect it, etc... A harder place to install it would be in the rooflining, but most places think that is too much like hard work. A prox. sensor fitted there will not pick up passing trucks, trees nearby or a cat walking over your car @ 2am, etc. but will pick someone standing next to it and looking through the window, which is what the sensor is designed to do.

Also, with some sensors, they do actually settle once activated, so it may be worth re-checking a sensor and its sensitivity a couple of days later. Again, a lot of fitters do not do this. They may set it up in their workshop with all their fluorescent lights around, then send the customer on their way. The next thing the customer knows is that their alarm keeps going off as the sensor has re-adjusted slightly and is now outside its "safe zone". Clifford themselves even state in their installation instructions that it may be necessary to test and retest sensors for optimum positioning and not to test when surrounded by fluorescent lighting, but time and time again I see them being installed and setup next to these lights.

@ the end of the day, the decisions is yours. I know some people will slate me for my opinions, and some people will have opinions of their own. The best advice I can give is to speak to a few people with both types of alarm and see what they think (maybe see if you can have a play with their system for usability). Also, get an alarm installed that is suitable for YOU, not the installer. Too many Clifford installers want to fit the Concept 650 Cat1 as it is simple and they make nicely out of it, then they charge you extra for add-ons where as a higher-spec alarm might be a little dearer, but would have everything you want pre-installed for an overall cheaper price and with more room for upgrading later should you wish. Same as most Toad installers just want to install their "favourite" model as they sell loads and they can fit it quickly.
would it be better to fit tints and then the alarm then???
Old 24-08-2008, 09:39 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Got my saph back tonight after having a toad ai606 fitted,does it have a valet mode like the cliffords ??
Old 24-08-2008, 10:21 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Got my saph back tonight after having a toad ai606 fitted,does it have a valet mode like the cliffords ??
Toad Ai 606 Car Alarm A high specification alarm system with a comprehensive range of security features including door, boot & bonnet protection, ultrasonic interior protection, 2 circuit passive immobilisation, a self powered siren, panic feature, converts your existing central locking to remote central locking, spare channels for optional headlight activation, total closure etc.

Toad Ai606 alarm

Toad car alarm Ai606 has a comprehensive range of security features including door, bonnet and boot protection, ultrasonic interior protection, 2 circuit immobilisation, a self powered siren and distress alert is complemented by many convenient enhancements including remote control central locking, system override, headlight operation and vehicle dependent window and sunroof close.
Thatcham alarm with 2x high security remotes - Double circuit immobiliser - Door, bonnet and boot protection - Ultrasonic interior protection - Panic alert button on remote control - Status LED - Battery backup siren will continue even if intruder cuts all the cables - Programmable auto door locking when car is started, designed to prevent car jacking - Remote controlled headlight timer - Remote controlled tailgate/ boot opening. - Flashing indicators

Last edited by SS1; 24-08-2008 at 10:24 PM. Reason: edit more info
Old 24-08-2008, 10:25 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Iwant one of them alarms that electricute every cunt that touches it, like that beemer of James Bonds...
Old 24-08-2008, 11:06 PM
FIESTA CHRIS H

Originally Posted by fraser9764
Iwant one of them alarms that electricute every cunt that touches it, like that beemer of James Bonds...
Old 25-08-2008, 06:39 AM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Originally Posted by avid-fan
Toad Ai 606 Car Alarm A high specification alarm system with a comprehensive range of security features including door, boot & bonnet protection, ultrasonic interior protection, 2 circuit passive immobilisation, a self powered siren, panic feature, converts your existing central locking to remote central locking, spare channels for optional headlight activation, total closure etc.

Toad Ai606 alarm

Toad car alarm Ai606 has a comprehensive range of security features including door, bonnet and boot protection, ultrasonic interior protection, 2 circuit immobilisation, a self powered siren and distress alert is complemented by many convenient enhancements including remote control central locking, system override, headlight operation and vehicle dependent window and sunroof close.
Thatcham alarm with 2x high security remotes - Double circuit immobiliser - Door, bonnet and boot protection - Ultrasonic interior protection - Panic alert button on remote control - Status LED - Battery backup siren will continue even if intruder cuts all the cables - Programmable auto door locking when car is started, designed to prevent car jacking - Remote controlled headlight timer - Remote controlled tailgate/ boot opening. - Flashing indicators

Actually, no it does not have a valet mode the same as the Clifford models. On a Clifford, you simply press a combination of buttons (preset by the installer or yourself) and enter the alarm into valet mode.

On a Toad ai101CL, you have a valet button that can be activated once the ignition is turned on. However, the ai606 does not actually have a valet mode as everything is key-operated. You can add an "override" tag-fob like the old immobilisers but the "override" listed in the manuals is the type where you enter your "valet" code while the alarm is going off so as to release the system and allow you to use it should you lose a remote or the remote battery stop working.

The "valet" function on the ai606 is where you turn the ignition on, count the number of flashes, turn ignition off, back on, count second number of flashes, etc.. for all four numbers in the factory-specified code which can take as long as 40 seconds or so (depending on code)
Old 25-08-2008, 06:40 AM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Originally Posted by FIESTA CHRIS H
would it be better to fit tints and then the alarm then???
Not @ all. If you fit the tints after the alarm though, I would recommend having it returned to the supplying installer for the to readjust the sensitivity just as a precautionary measure.
Old 25-08-2008, 10:16 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually, no it does not have a valet mode the same as the Clifford models. On a Clifford, you simply press a combination of buttons (preset by the installer or yourself) and enter the alarm into valet mode.

On a Toad ai101CL, you have a valet button that can be activated once the ignition is turned on. However, the ai606 does not actually have a valet mode as everything is key-operated. You can add an "override" tag-fob like the old immobilisers but the "override" listed in the manuals is the type where you enter your "valet" code while the alarm is going off so as to release the system and allow you to use it should you lose a remote or the remote battery stop working.

The "valet" function on the ai606 is where you turn the ignition on, count the number of flashes, turn ignition off, back on, count second number of flashes, etc.. for all four numbers in the factory-specified code which can take as long as 40 seconds or so (depending on code)
Cheers fella.
Old 28-08-2008, 07:45 PM
FIESTA CHRIS H

Not @ all. If you fit the tints after the alarm though, I would recommend having it returned to the supplying installer for the to readjust the sensitivity just as a precautionary measure.
might get the tints done first then

Quick Reply: which car alarm is the best