General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Advice on buying car from a trader

Search this Thread

Old 18-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Shanny
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying car from a trader

My 17 year old son just passed his test and being young and impulsive, he couldn't wait for his father to look for a car so bought a Vauxhall Corsa from a trader. It was serviced it prior to the sale and had safety checks etc. so I hope that it's a decent motor. He'd done less than 20 miles and the engine management light came on , but only for a couple of seconds. The same fault occured about 20 miles later and it stalled so I advised him to take it back.

The trader said it was likely to be an Air Mass meter fault and would repair it. It is now repaired and my son refuses to accept the car, stating that on advice from Trading Standards, he wants a refund and has given the trader 14 days. He sent it in writing also.

I'm not convinced that he can have a refund. From what I know, he has to take it back for repair and if the repair is not acceptable the the car should be replaced.

I have heard that the engine light and stalling is a common fault on Vauxhalls so I assume that it might be prone to problems but I would persist and keep taking it back to the trader.

I live further North so I haven't seen the car and I was going to go and see the trader tomorrow, to try and come to a reasonable outcome because my son "lost it with him".

Can anyone offer informed advice on what will be the likely outcome? Will he get a refund or should I just sit down with the guy and discuss the situation with him?

I'm also of the opinion that it's tough because he wouldn't wait for me so if it is a shittter, then it's a lesson learned.

Shanny
Old 18-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Tabz @ S.M.Auto's
BANNED
BANNED

If trading standard are invloved they only act as a middle man so to speak and incourage both parties to come to an ammicable agreement, which in this case is what seems to have happened, now the fact your son does not want the car back even though it has now been repaired would mean he needs a valid reason in the eye of the courts not to have taken the car back.
Best to speak with the trader and save yourself allot of time and possibly money.
Old 18-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

It's not exactly a serious fault and the traders fixed it for him so I think your son's being a tad unreasonable.
Old 18-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Shanny

Thanks Tabz. I'm going down tomorrow to sort it out.

Shanny
Old 18-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Shanny

Leeeroy, Exactly and I agree.

Shanny
Old 18-08-2008, 06:08 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Advice on buying car from a trader

dont go private
Old 18-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanny
I'm not convinced that he can have a refund. From what I know, he has to take it back for repair and if the repair is not acceptable the the car should be replaced.
You are right.

Originally Posted by Shanny
Can anyone offer informed advice on what will be the likely outcome? Will he get a refund or should I just sit down with the guy and discuss the situation with him?
The dealer COULD offer him a refund just to get rid of him, but I doubt they will if they have any idea of the laws.

There is a "short period of time" to refuse a used car. It's a fairly grey area but unlikely in this case he'd be able to.

You could ask if the dealer is willing to replace the car.

If it got to a County Court, there are some relevant factors: how old is the car, how much was it, how many miles etc.

It's not just as easy as relying on statutory rights.

You may be surprised to know that a lot of the rules, regulations and laws actually favour the motor trade.

We have been taken to court a few times now and have never had to pay a penny [touchwood!!]. Get proper legal advice, too many people THINK they know the law on used vehicles when in fact they don't.

Trending Topics

Old 18-08-2008, 06:14 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Leeeroy
It's not exactly a serious fault and the traders fixed it for him so I think your son's being a tad unreasonable.

nuff said
Old 18-08-2008, 06:42 PM
fordrs2005
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeeroy
a agree the traders went to the hassle to fix it for him so he really has nothing to moan about and the trader really has every rite just to tell him where to go now hes done his bit to help as its not a brand new car so problems will occur