General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

My crap luck... can I take my new helmet back?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 02:04 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My crap luck... can I take my new helmet back?

Well, I bought a brand new £450 Arai lid today, ready for getting my bike on saturday. I walked out of the shop, and put it in my car. Drove home, then later on went to get it out of the car along with a bag of my boots/ leathers etc. As I lifted it out of the car, by the handle on the box, the bottom fell out of the box ( original Arai box, brand new today!) , and the helmet fell about 3-4 feet and landed on my drive, still in the helmet bag . On getting inside and removing the cover, the helmet has a big chunk out of the paint and you can see the shell ..

Now, I think that I am quite within my rights to take it back as there is no way that they should supply it in such a shonkey box , it is Arai I am pissed off with not Hein gerick... Do you think thats fair?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:09 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it back and find out..........
Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Should have been more careful, although you wasnt to know the bottom was going to give way

Only trouble is how do you prove it?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:19 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by VW_08
Should have been more careful, although you wasnt to know the bottom was going to give way

Only trouble is how do you prove it?
When you lift a new box by the handle, you don't expect the lid to fall out do you? How could I have been more careful than to lift it by the handle?
Old 06-08-2008, 02:28 AM
Dan16v
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take it back and be honest, if you get nowhere with them go to arai themselves via a letter, see what happens
Old 06-08-2008, 07:08 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just take it back and say you removed it from the box and look at the state of it. Dont be mentioning that it dropped 3 ft onto the drive
Old 06-08-2008, 07:22 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

misery. i know what you mean about the shitty arai boxes - not what you would expect a top level helmet to be packed in, they look like cheap chinese copies

Trending Topics

Old 06-08-2008, 08:22 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by CossieRich
just take it back and say you removed it from the box and look at the state of it. Dont be mentioning that it dropped 3 ft onto the drive
Trouble is I tried it on in the shop infront of the staff, as obviously you make sure it fits before taking it home.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:28 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Id do as cossierich says. A bit naughty but a bit of a risk if you tell them you its been dropped, even though its their fault for having crap boxes.

Obviously the lid is technically useless now and cant be used, but im sure Arai will do something about it if you dont get any luck from the shop.

You just gotta decide whether to risk it and be upfront, or act dumb and say you opened it at home and saw the damage.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:30 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Trouble is I tried it on in the shop infront of the staff, as obviously you make sure it fits before taking it home.
But did he/she check the helmet personally for chips/damage. My guess is probably not. Was it a display model or one out the back?

At the end of the day, theyve sold you a damaged helmet.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:32 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

They ordered it in for me, so I would imagine they checked it fairly closley.. .I think honesty is the best policy here, as you say even if the shop won't play, I will go direct to Arai.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:33 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ah. i thought maybe you had already trrde another one for size and they had ordered this one in for you. Have to come clean then wont you and say shit packaging caused it
Old 06-08-2008, 08:35 AM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

take it back and see what they say! just dont start shouting at them!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:36 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They ordered it in for me, so I would imagine they checked it fairly closley.. .I think honesty is the best policy here, as you say even if the shop won't play, I will go direct to Arai.
Probably right mate. If the boxes are that crap, then id be worried if id bought an arai as you dont know if its fell through the bottom at the factory/shop without any visible damage.

I cant see Arai arguing about it though, the last thing a top maker wants is bad publicity for the sake of a few hundred quid.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Mark_1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the transport emballage didnt do its job, so swapping the helmet should be no problem.
I wouldnt bother with making up a story as what happened is because of a poorly designed box.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

FUCK!

not good mate
Old 06-08-2008, 08:56 AM
baker p

what model is it? If you can get your money back (which i very much doubt) a lad near me can get arais for half price or there abouts , limited stock though.

i am hoping he can get me this model..............

mmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Arai provided you with a carrying device that you used in the correct manner (by using the handle) and IT failed damaging your new helmet.
You shouldn't have a problem getting it replaced IMO.
Go back to the shop and tell them what happened, and recommend that Arai change the box design.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:13 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

in case it helps, i think a company called pheonix is the official arai importer
Old 06-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Honesty is the best policy here - as said, they saw you try it on and raise no concerns about condition, yet it is now obviously damaged to the extent that you would have spotted it at that time.

If the shop don't want to know, and if you paid by credit card (not switch or Amex) mention that you will ask the cc company to refund you under the Consumer Credit Act and see what they say.

If that doesn't work, some credit cards now insure your purchases for a limited time, so you could claim off that, or maybe even off your household insurance.

Either way, I'd certainly write to the manufacturer and tell them that this has planted a doubt in your mind about the safety of their product, and you need reassurance - and a refund/free helmet.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:50 AM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

how about claiming on your house insurance for accidental damage, or do you have similar cover on your credit card ?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:58 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by jon@work
how about claiming on your house insurance for accidental damage, or do you have similar cover on your credit card ?
Folks house mate so can't do that, and bought it on debit card
Old 06-08-2008, 12:03 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

take it back tell them the thruth, if they refuse to exchange it, make a huge fuss in the shop just make sure there are plenty of people in lol
Old 06-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Neil@FastFord
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
in case it helps, i think a company called pheonix is the official arai importer

Aye, Pheonix distribution. Great company to deal with, helped me out no end when i was throwing questions at them before commiting to by my GP lid

Take it back to the store, see what they say, if not, contact Pheonix Distribution
Old 06-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Dan@Rapid-Ford
PassionFord Post Troll

get someone to walk in buy another one without looking say its a present then take it back with damage and say it was like that if they argue with you.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:37 PM
baker p

go back to the shop with your helmet on and explain to them the fooking thing wont come off.. make a massive fuss, tell them you slept with it on, your going dizzy, the smell of your own breath is making your eyes sting.....
by this point the staff should be jumping over each other to help out and stop you making a fuss, as soon as one puts a hand to your lid fall over and make sure you land on the damaged area,,,, the rest is simple.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Is it true that if you drop a helmet it should really be binned? Is that why you want a replacement? Or is it because it's brand new and now marked?

Hope you get it sorted either way, mate.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:16 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

yes, it should be binned.

just take it back and explain what happened,you never know..
Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by Stoo
Is it true that if you drop a helmet it should really be binned?
yes the shell is designed to distribute the bump i reckon so you couldnt guarantee you hadnt damaged it
Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

The amount of folk on here who want you to lie about it! Fuck me shows what kinda folk they are.......

Take it back and tell them what happened, i honestly think they will exchange it they arent a back street shop!
Old 06-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
The amount of folk who on here who want you to lie about it! Fuck me shows what kinda folk they are.......

Take it back and tell them what happened, i honestly think they will exchange it they arent a back street shop!

agreed about the lying.

however if i was the shop i'd tell him to run and jump! how can he prove he never dropped it other than the box breaking? thats my fear!
Old 06-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Lambchop
agreed about the lying.

however if i was the shop i'd tell him to run and jump! how can he prove he never dropped it other than the box breaking? thats my fear!
Not if you were the manager of hein gericke! They have policies to stick to. And besides, theyll get the money back of arai somehow!
Old 06-08-2008, 06:54 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Plus, if its just happened then its unlikely that someone would take a £450 helmet and kick it about just after they bought it...... and if they'd come off the bike then there would be more damage than that surely.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 06-08-2008, 07:03 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Not even got the bike yet ... Other thing is it was still in the helmet bag, It's not really Hein Gericke's fault, but they might carry a bit more weight with Arai when trying to return it. If I get no joy through them I will be talking to lots of people at Arai shocking packaging on an item that is supposed to be a life-saving device that depends on it's structural integrity.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:32 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

shocking packaging on an item that is supposed to be a life-saving device that depends on it's structural integrity.
i agree with that, very disappointed when i bought my arais. my cheap vemar came in a much more substantial box
Old 06-08-2008, 08:14 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
i agree with that, very disappointed when i bought my arais. my cheap vemar came in a much more substantial box
You bought the latest issue of superbike? They are showing a table on page 14 about the new helmet safty tests, a £60 Lazer scores 5 stars, the £450 Arai RX7 Corsair only gets 3 stars !
Old 06-08-2008, 08:31 PM
escoskevo
Virgin

I am pretty sure that if you can't get it swapped, then Arai (or thier importers) can Xray the lid to test the integrity. My mate was a club racer and Tw*tted his head on the track after a spill, and sent his lid back to Arai for testing. It came back with a safety check - all OK, and it was fairly heavily scratched!!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

what a pisser, deffo see what they say.

as for a cheapo lazer, my £50 tacachi or whatever the hell it is done me proud with a 45mph faceplant into a vw passat estate!

i was actually saving for another shoei but on fast fords wages, that would have been about a year
Old 06-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

You bought the latest issue of superbike? They are showing a table on page 14 about the new helmet safty tests, a £60 Lazer scores 5 stars, the £450 Arai RX7 Corsair only gets 3 stars !
LOL you wont convince the die hards that the price tag isnt mostly fashion
Old 06-08-2008, 08:42 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
LOL you wont convince the die hards that the price tag isnt mostly fashion
Hmmm, although I do know a bloke who used to do the Isle of mann TT and BSB ( remember Gordon Blackley?) Apparently a lot of riders wear thier own Arai but carry thier helmet sponsers name on the helmet ....

My first lid ( and still have it!) was a lazer, great bit of kit for £120, dead comfy and has all the BSi and ACU gold stickers etc, so can't be a bad bit of kit, but as it is 10 years old I thought it might be an idea to get a new one before jumping on a new bike.

Quick Reply: My crap luck... can I take my new helmet back?