General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

people who live in aus

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default people who live in aus

specifically sidney

whats the rental rates down there?
bro's moved in just down the road from sidyen central station around the taylor square area

whats it like as he's after some recomendations before he shells out $675 a week living there
Old 05-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

paid 500 dollars per week in Bondi... this was back in 2004 though
Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first of all why sydney.. sydney is crap compared to melbourne
and 675 a week seems expensive.. but then again youl have to pay them prices to live in hyped up sydney

Dojj wheres my fuse box
Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 PM
dojj

it's in the post
in a box
Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

when did you send it mate??

and thanks paji
Old 05-08-2008, 10:59 PM
dojj

depending on when you are timewise, either yesterday or tomrrow
Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by dojj
depending on when you are timewise, either yesterday or tomrrow

that makes no sense to me
Old 05-08-2008, 11:05 PM
dojj

i gave the dubba to the old man this afternoon at around 3 when he went out to have a few shandies and i've not seen him since, so i'm assuming he's not carrying it around southall highstreet flogging it to some pendu for thousands
Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

i gave the dubba to the old man this afternoon at around 3 when he went out to have a few shandies and i've not seen him since, so i'm assuming he's not carrying it around southall highstreet flogging it to some pendu for thousands

hopefully it will turnn up within a week then.. if not il hjave to senda search party down to all your pendu's
Old 06-08-2008, 05:15 AM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never been to melbourne but the missis said it's shit. So is perth.
Now Sydney is the nuts. Well if your on the northern beaches like me. Sod living in the city itself. But I would say the price is about right for being in the city itself. Can't beat the beaches though
Old 06-08-2008, 06:01 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by POPEYE
Now Sydney is the nuts. Well if your on the northern beaches like me. Sod living in the city itself. But I would say the price is about right for being in the city itself. Can't beat the beaches though
haha no no sydny's shit com[pared to melbourne
Old 06-08-2008, 08:20 AM
badnews
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

you two are so wrong they are both shit and cold lol i like it up here in queensland i live 30 mins north of noosa brisbane was to much hassel with the trafic but i love it here so give yourselves one of these for going down south

Last edited by badnews; 06-08-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:22 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by POPEYE
Old 06-08-2008, 08:26 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by badnews
you two are so wrong they are both shit and cold lol i like it up here in queensland i live 30 mins north of noosa brisbane was to much hassel with the trafic but i love it here so give yourselves one of these for going down south
your just so wrong.. its depressing up there
Old 06-08-2008, 08:38 AM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

Originally Posted by R5FORD
your just so wrong.. its depressing up there

Agreed
Old 06-08-2008, 08:44 AM
badnews

and fooking cold where you are lol, the panelbeater was working in smelbourne and said it was ok but cold i like sydney well the bridge walk anyway and the zoo lol perth is good but isolated thats why i'm in queensland fook all around perth but sand
Old 06-08-2008, 08:52 AM
badnews

you two can keep it darn sarth fookers are ganging up on me lol, i don't care where you are in australia it's sooooooooo much better than the uk
Old 06-08-2008, 09:00 AM
jjr2k8
Piss flaps

is it expensive living there then? it sounds it...?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:04 AM
ANDYRACER
The more turbos,more fun!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im looking at going out to Brisbane next year on a 1 year visa, dont really fancy Sydney or Perth.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:06 AM
badnews

nope not to expensive it all depends what you want out of life. live beach front on sydneys beachs yes it will cost. where i am it's not that bad i'm haveing a six bed house built with a 11x5mtr pool 20x14mtr garage on 3.5 acres on a nice developement and it's costing me Ł200k or there abouts so i see it as cheap as fook
Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 AM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I lived in Sydney for a few months with my cousin who re-located from Scotland a few years ago, but wasnt in the actual City itself... was out in Randwick and was a regular down around Coogee (sp?) and it was amazing.

There is no real need to go into the main City IMO, everything you need including good bars, good beaches, nice women, can be found in a much more relaxed bit of the city like Coogee. If I could find a job to support me & get me into the country, then I'd be over there like a shot.

One thing I did notice was that although petrol was slightly cheaper there, the prices of the cars was actually higher, jap stuff was really quite pricey actually.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 06-08-2008, 11:25 AM
dojj

hopefully it will turnn up within a week then.. if not il hjave to senda search party down to all your pendu's
it's got a tracking number and all sorts now, the old man said he went to get it posted yesterday but didn't have enough money to do the job, so ratehr than tel lme about it, he was doing the old wandering about like a pissed up pendu thing

it's got to be signed for but, in my taping up of the box, i neglected to get a name put on, so it's coming to a mr singh
Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

it's got a tracking number and all sorts now, the old man said he went to get it posted yesterday but didn't have enough money to do the job, so ratehr than tel lme about it, he was doing the old wandering about like a pissed up pendu thing

it's got to be signed for but, in my taping up of the box, i neglected to get a name put on, so it's coming to a mr singh

your old man reminds me off nearly every one i know
yh no problem.. that means me or dad or bro can sign for it

and MELBOURNE is the best
Old 06-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Vic
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

specifically sidney

whats the rental rates down there?
bro's moved in just down the road from sidyen central station around the taylor square area

whats it like as he's after some recomendations before he shells out $675 a week living there
As a local, and living here for the past three decades, I may be of some help

To get a good idea of what Sydney or Australia is like, I would highly discourage your brother from living in the CBD. The rent is stupidly high for starters and unless there is a need to be close to work (if he does work in the CBD) he should live 15-30mins away, possibly on the Eastern Suburbs such as Coogee (where all the Poms congregate ) or like POPEYE said the Northern Beaches. Manly is quite nice and a trip into the city is a 35-40min ferry trip across the harbour. Rent can be fairly cheap compared to the UK or can be stupidly high, just all depends on what he wants.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more help mate.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:48 AM
dojj

thing is, he's young and has got a mate who's sharing the rent with him and he wants to live thelife now he can afford to live if
and at a basic annual salary of A$135k, it's not like he's going to be struggling to meet the payments

but i shall see what he reports back on seeing as he's going to beliving there for another week as that's where he company have put him up while he finds somewhere
Old 06-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Vic

Oh and having visited most major cities in Australia.. I have to say Melbourne has the most culture.. but has the SHITTEST weather

Having lived in Sydney most of my life, I find it becoming way overcrowded and the infrastructure is struggling to keep up. Too many cars, too many people, and if you're inclined to think that way.. too many of one certain culture that doesnt get along with other cultures (hope you can read between the lines)

Sooo .. as I reach my midlife crisis... Im with Badnews here.. Sunshine Coast is the place to be ... and thats where my long term plan is to relocate .... one day!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Vic

another reason why I wouldnt live in the CBD is that there is no real community established there. Believe me, if you want to live it up and party, Coogee sounds like a place to live. Next to the beach, plenty of tourists and a few number of well known pubs!

Its up to him, but like I said feel free to PM me if you wanna know more
Old 06-08-2008, 11:56 AM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

thing is, he's young and has got a mate who's sharing the rent with him and he wants to live thelife now he can afford to live if
and at a basic annual salary of A$135k, it's not like he's going to be struggling to meet the payments

but i shall see what he reports back on seeing as he's going to beliving there for another week as that's where he company have put him up while he finds somewhere

what does he do for a living dojj?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:22 PM
badnews

sunnycoast all the way and morgage free easy life lol
Old 06-08-2008, 12:57 PM
northerner

Am currently thinking about uprooting and relocating to Oz, but am unsure where to go.

Do fancy living near to or on the beach but has to be near a major city as that will be where my place of work will probably be.

Will have @ Ł200k + mortgage to fund a house so looking upto Ł400k but am unsure how difficult it is to get a mortgage as a new immigrant family...

Recommendations please.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:53 PM
dojj

what does he do for a living dojj?
he sells computer people to companies who require computer people to fix their computers

i think

well, that's what he used to do, i think it's something to do with placements of contractors for short term stints to deal with issues companies have with their software and how his companies sotfware is better for any given application

he was in new zealand the other day for a few days, i'm not sure where he's off to next but it's a bit of the whole autralia/south end of the world in that bit of globe he'cs covering
Old 06-08-2008, 01:55 PM
badnews

morgage is no bother mate i was in the same position as yourself if you bring money here they will throw a morgage at you. i went in the bank the other day and the woman i see offerd me a morgage for up to $600k as i mentioned i wanted another house as an investment. property is on the up and up at the moment my plot went up $55k in 4 mth. there is another development just down the road so i'm looking at buying another blok of land and sitting on it for a while. queensland is only just starting to take off so i thought it would be a good starting point in oz for me and the mrs. fook the ozzys whine if only they had to put up with the uk lol. australian idol is a statement not a tv show half the fookers i know go off work if they have a headache i am the only bloke to have no time off in 5 mths at work lol. life's good here i would recomend it to anyone
Old 06-08-2008, 02:06 PM
badnews

plenty places by the coast in qeensland close to brissy gold coast sunshine coast and there seems plenty of work for skilled migrants.i'm a fitter my mrs is a A&E nurse the cost of living is less than the uk. do it you won't look back it's a good start in life for your kids and a good place to retire. fooking uk sucks driven out by slack imigration policy taxed to the hilt it has become a knightmare chap i'm well out of it opps rant over
Old 06-08-2008, 02:44 PM
northerner

Originally Posted by badnews
plenty places by the coast in qeensland close to brissy gold coast sunshine coast and there seems plenty of work for skilled migrants.i'm a fitter my mrs is a A&E nurse the cost of living is less than the uk. do it you won't look back it's a good start in life for your kids and a good place to retire. fooking uk sucks driven out by slack imigration policy taxed to the hilt it has become a knightmare chap i'm well out of it opps rant over
I hear you - the current government are doing a cracking job of driving skilled/intelligent people out of the country.

I think the key thing is location as my wife is a primary school teacher who doesn't want to work in an inner city school and i'm a management consultant who works with big companies and am sick of working away from home.

So the current checklist is:

* Property near to or on the Beach
* Near to a major city
* Suburb or village location
* Good social/night life

How did you get on with the points test? How strict are they?