General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

WTF is it with BMW drivers and their tax dic holders??!?!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 31-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Nash_mr2
yes

i was a windscreen fitter for AutoGlass for 15 years - never once had a torn tax disk holder
30 jobs a week over 15years and you've NEVER had a torn tax disc holder? Sorry, I'm gonna call you a liar
Old 31-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by C4llyT
Sounds like you're just as anal about some gay work record as they are about their tax disc holders, so surely you can appreciate their concerns.

The real issue here is the way your work records these complaints as valid.
Anal about work records? When if affects my performace related pay? How can I be beng "anal" about that? Should I not care and say "fuck it, didn't want a payrise anyway" ????
Old 31-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Porkie
if it KEEPS happening, when you get a BMW or Mini driver why don't you explain the situation BEFORE you attempt to remove it and tear it?

Jesus... Rocket science this isn't!

Thats just good customer service by preventing a possible problem with a warning!

I think the BMW drivers are GAY to call and complain but I think you are fooking STOOOPID if you keep getting complaints against you for a possible problem you could prevent or prepare the customer for!!!
Thats the point - I did! Owner left the car with her mother. I did the job, tax disc holder tore. I replaced it. I had her mother inspect the car, explained how long it should be left to sit before driving, how long before to remove the tape from it, and that I replaced the tax disc holder. Her mother, satisfied it's a good job, signed for it.

Next day daughter rins up asking for her tax disc holder back Also tells my office that the tape has peeled the lacquer off her car. Turns out it hadn't, she had left it overnight and it had left residue behind, even tho when I said to the mother to leave it a couple hours, and she replied "we'll take it off in the morning" to which I replied "no, don't do that, take it off today, as it will leave sticky residue behind if you leave it till tomorrow", she STILL left it on overnight and STILL rang up and complained!

I don't tell you how to do your job, nor do I call you stupid - how about you extend me the same courtesy?
Old 31-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by AlexF
LOL you cant understand that they are different?!

Of course they are - they are happy to pay over the odds for style and image over actual substance.....
And Porsche owners aren't? Nor Bently owners, nor Aston Martin owners? Seeing as their cars cost several times more and are largely more exclusive, you'd think the tables would be turned right? So how comes it's only the beemer/mini drivers think their tax disc holder is the be all and end all then?
Old 31-07-2008, 05:53 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Anal about work records? When if affects my performace related pay? How can I be beng "anal" about that? Should I not care and say "fuck it, didn't want a payrise anyway" ????
Well you now mention it's PRP related - even more reason to inform them holder could be torn, do a little bullshit to protect your PRP, if it means so much to you...
Old 31-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Please do read the posts before making assumptions....
Old 31-07-2008, 05:57 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've read them, and not changed my opinion of who's the anal one in all of this

Complaints cost you money, you can do something to prevent these complaints, but choose not to, then come on the internet and cry about owners of a particular marque of car.
Very pro-active in protecting your PRP, I'm sure we'll all tell every bmw owner we know or see that if they have a new windscreen, and tax disc holder gets torn, to not complain, as it affects YOUR pay and record, as we're good like that
Old 31-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

So what do you suggest?

I explain to them WHY I have to give them a new holder and then I GIVE them a new holder? I already do this (as explained in post #43)

So what else do you suggest I do? I'm genuinely interested
Old 31-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Might aswell clarify before anyone else thinks they are clever. Tax disc holders are cheap, sticky backed pieces of plastic stuck to the inside of a pice of glass.

Now anyone who knows anything knows these two things - 1) cars that sit in the sun get hot inside, and 2) glass is an excellent conductor/retainer of temperature - it retains coldness and heat for long periods of time.

Plastic absorbs temperature. It gets brittle in the cold, and weak in the heat. When it gets hot having beein inside a car sat in the sun for many hours (as the inside is hot, as is the glass it is DIRECTLY adhered to) it becomes soft and weak.

Pulling a tax disc from a screen stretches it. Often this causes it to tear or rip, being that heat also allows adhesion to adhere stronger in many cases. If it does comes off in one peice, often it is stretched/mishapen, and not "clear" to look at as the ahesion applied to it becomes cloudy.

Average days are better - extreme cold or high heat days are worst.

Simple.
Old 31-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Rides
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

PMFSL fcuk me some people need to get a grip, and get a life FFS it's a bit of plastic that holds the tax disc... how ANAL can you actually get.. i could understand if it was a Ł250.000 car and it had a certain kind of holder, but for normal mini's or BMW takes the PI55... have they got nothing else to moan about in their boring lives... my car has a RS one on my screen who gives a rats arse if it's damaged..I would be more PI55ed if the car was damaged certainly wouldnt give shit about a daft disc holder... if they dont like it go and get a new one, aint hard to do..

people have said he should keep the dealer disc holders why should he, why should he spend time going to a BMW dealers just for disc holder's, his company give replacements! so whats the big deal.
and yeah i can see the other side but sometimes they dont want to come off in one piece, the sun does make sure they're stuck fast to the windscreen, and then they rip it's not the end of the world FFS... why dont they complain about something more constructive, like the price of fuel or house prices...
Old 31-07-2008, 06:08 PM
Rides

Might aswell clarify before anyone else thinks they are clever. Tax disc holders are cheap, sticky backed pieces of plastic stuck to the inside of a pice of glass.

Now anyone who knows anything knows these two things - 1) cars that sit in the sun get hot inside, and 2) glass is an excellent conductor/retainer of temperature - it retains coldness and heat for long periods of time.

Plastic absorbs temperature. It gets brittle in the cold, and weak in the heat. When it gets hot having beein inside a car sat in the sun for many hours (as the inside is hot, as is the glass it is DIRECTLY adhered to) it becomes soft and weak.

Pulling a tax disc from a screen stretches it. Often this causes it to tear or rip, being that heat also allows adhesion to adhere stronger in many cases. If it does comes off in one peice, often it is stretched/mishapen, and not "clear" to look at as the ahesion applied to it becomes cloudy.

Average days are better - extreme cold or high heat days are worst.

Simple.
well they don't think of that happening do they PMFSL... this is funny as hell how more ANAL can someone get could understand if the car had been damaged then I'd be well pi55ed
Old 31-07-2008, 06:14 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So what do you suggest?

I explain to them WHY I have to give them a new holder and then I GIVE them a new holder? I already do this (as explained in post #43)

So what else do you suggest I do? I'm genuinely interested
I suggest you build a bridge, and get over it....
Old 31-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Dan F
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a point for and agaist this matter.
*Yeah get a life its only a tax disc holder
*Yeah the customer could be informed of what may happen
What i do think is anal though is people arguing on who's right over the internet
Old 31-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mk2manic
What i do think is anal though is people arguing on who's right over the internet
I disagree

Old 31-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Rides
PMFSL fcuk me some people need to get a grip, and get a life FFS it's a bit of plastic that holds the tax disc... how ANAL can you actually get.. i could understand if it was a Ł250.000 car and it had a certain kind of holder, but for normal mini's or BMW takes the PI55... have they got nothing else to moan about in their boring lives... my car has a RS one on my screen who gives a rats arse if it's damaged..I would be more PI55ed if the car was damaged certainly wouldnt give shit about a daft disc holder... if they dont like it go and get a new one, aint hard to do..

people have said he should keep the dealer disc holders why should he, why should he spend time going to a BMW dealers just for disc holder's, his company give replacements! so whats the big deal.
and yeah i can see the other side but sometimes they dont want to come off in one piece, the sun does make sure they're stuck fast to the windscreen, and then they rip it's not the end of the world FFS... why dont they complain about something more constructive, like the price of fuel or house prices...
Finally, someone with common sense!

I suggest you build a bridge, and get over it....
Do you not read at all? I'm a windscreen fitter, not a bridge builder. Bridges don't even have tax disc's, let alone tax disc holders

Originally Posted by mk2manic
There is a point for and agaist this matter.
*Yeah get a life its only a tax disc holder
*Yeah the customer could be informed of what may happen
They do
Old 31-07-2008, 06:27 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Finally, someone with common sense!
Doesn't stop the complaints though does it.
Think what you like about the owners, won't change them.
It's you that needs to change, like it or not, and it's you that will benefit.
Old 31-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Dan F

Opps sorry fella
BTW my tax disc holder cost Ł3 from halfords abd if mine was ripped or torn i wouldnt care so i cant understand why they get mad if they can get a free one,people do complain about odd things,working in a call centre i know,trust me
Old 31-07-2008, 06:37 PM
vikingboy
PassionFord Regular

funny story - Im a BMW M5 driver and my tax disc is held on with some black electricians tape I had lying around! Tight northern fooker I guess!
Old 31-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Rides

Originally Posted by vikingboy
funny story - Im a BMW M5 driver and my tax disc is held on with some black electricians tape I had lying around! Tight northern fooker I guess!
PMFSL... now that's the attitude a good one you are not bothered about a daft disc holder
Old 31-07-2008, 06:44 PM
blacky.
BANNED
BANNED

if i ever need my screen changeing in the B10 i will ring you
dont worry my tax disk holder is on the dash not the screen lol
Old 31-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Doesn't stop the complaints though does it.
Think what you like about the owners, won't change them.
It's you that needs to change, like it or not, and it's you that will benefit.
So come on then, what is it that needs to change? Other than "building a bridge" you haven't given any examples.

Often I tell them before, I don't obvisouly if they aren't there. I ALWAYS tell them after, even if it's not their car.

Do I need a neon sign or something? Should I invite them out to fit with me for a week?
Old 31-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Dan F

Originally Posted by Nath
I disagree

Lol,i knew someone would do this
Old 31-07-2008, 08:32 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i think i agree with his disagreement about peole agreeing with one another over the internet

but i'm with the school of thought that says "complain at the time and get the job done or call the office and explain that there was a problem and would someone be able to rectify it?"

not "call up and rant down the phone over a poxy bit of plastic that someones already told someone else about and who never passed the message on ebcause they were too thick and i was too stupid to figure out a way to get a "mobile" fitter to the car rather tha nleave it at home with the daft one who over saw the fitting proccess"

Old 31-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Turbo lag

It's a tax disk holder

Dave.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Moose 130

I must admit I notice with MOT's, if someone is going to be late or not bother turning up it's nearly always a BMW or Merc driver.

It must be badge-mentality
Old 31-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This may sound dumb, but why dont you ALWAYS tell them before, regardless of who it is.

If its the owner, the owners parents, the owners mate or the owners dog. Should tell them and get them to make the call. If it then tears/rips its not down to you but the owner/parents/mate/pet.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moose 130
I must admit I notice with MOT's, if someone is going to be late or not bother turning up it's nearly always a BMW or Merc driver.

I've always been early and sometimes a day or 2 early when I've dropped it off round your house
Old 31-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Moose 130

Originally Posted by Nath
I've always been early and sometimes a day or 2 early when I've dropped it off round your house

I used the words 'nearly always' just for you!

and trust me, you are the exception....
Old 31-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Adrian
This may sound dumb, but why dont you ALWAYS tell them before, regardless of who it is.

If its the owner, the owners parents, the owners mate or the owners dog. Should tell them and get them to make the call. If it then tears/rips its not down to you but the owner/parents/mate/pet.
Adrian, as I've said I nearly always do tell them, or whoever is with their car (as in, if the owner is not there to hand me the keys + sign for it, if it's in someone else's care), but what call is there to make? Don't have the windscreen fitted incase the tax disc holder breaks?

"Don't be so stupid" I hear you cry - but this is the point! It IS so stupid! Demonstrated today by the silly bitch who spent more time on the phone complaining today than it would have taken to go to BMW and get one for free, which incidentally she had to do, as when my guy in the office rang her back to tell her he'd ring a dealer and ask for one to be sent to us, then we would send it to her, she said "don't bother, I'll get one on my way home"
Old 31-07-2008, 10:42 PM
vikingboy
PassionFord Regular

nah - they are always working to earn the Ł140+ per hour labour charges the main stealers charge for work!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:17 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

sn00py - 1) I shouldn't have to, and 2) half the time they aren't there - it's in an office carpark, left at home, left with someone else, etc......
i would buy a pet pigeon

so it could shit on there screen

as you drive away
Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

ROFL I might just do that
Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

I don't tell you how to do your job, nor do I call you stupid - how about you extend me the same courtesy?
BUT I DON'T GET COMPLAINTS AGAINST ME IN MY JOB FOR SOMETHING THAT COULD BE EASILY AVOIDED!

and I don't post up the internet something about my job that I am doing wrong that makes me LOOK STUPID!

Sorry but if you are CLEARLY spelling out the problems that may occur and the fact that some customers have complained before then in my opinion you will NOT have a problem....

Also I don't believe its THAT hard to not tear them in the first place!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Do I need a neon sign or something? Should I invite them out to fit with me for a week?
No, BUT you need to change something though don't you!!!!

either how and the exact wording and way you inform people or the way you take off the tax disc holders...

I've worked with people who are so good at communictaing to customers and so smooth and professional that they could fit a cracked windscreen and leave a massive TURD on the seat and the customer would STILL drive home thinking they had been looked after!!!!

If the owners are not there. I would suggest being extra careful and leaving the remains of the holder if you do break it along with a short apology note explaining what happened and maybe a personal contact number?

BMW owners maybe anal but they are still human.

See your signature??? WELL TRY READING IT!!!!

Last edited by Porkie; 01-08-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Trist

I used to work for RAC autowindscreens for 5 years and I must admit its always the BMW tax holders that are so brittle and will 9 times out of 10 not so much rip but the plastic clear sticky part would crack and break like a thin plastic.
I used to tell every customer before hand that it would possibly break so to cover my arse.
If they said they wanted a BMW dealer one rather than RAC I would just slightly stick the top 5mm of the new holder to the screen (easily removable) and inform them that they need to source another and if they phoned their BMW dealer they would probably send them one.
Agree with Thrush though it was always the said car owners were the only ones to question it.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

absolutly!

Thats the point I am making but thrush isnt getting lol.

They are their only specail breed.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

No Alex, I do get it - they THINK they are a special breed, but quite WHY escapes me. Very few BMW's these days are top notch motor's, and they are far from exclusive. Sure you have the nice ones, your M3's, M5's, even the 330Ci is a nice car, as is a fully loaded 5 series (non-M), but 95% of BMW's aren't in the same league as a Bently or Porsche, or Aston Martin, or Ferrari, and Mini's certainly aren't - one of the most common cars on the road! Nearly as common as Fiesta's and Focus's!!!!

So I don't understand WHY they believe they are special/better than everyone else, when you get far more exclusive/more expensive/more prestigious cars such as Porsche's, Bentley's, Astons (can't include Ferrari's, most of them are cunts too) don't have the same anal retentiveness that BMW/Mini owners tend to display!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:09 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

LOL

Its the type of Brand they are attracted to.

You won't understand it - your not attracted to BMWs are you
Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

fucking hell, another riveting, pointless, mong post by thrush. The title of this thread needs to be changed to "WTF is with thursh and his anal threads, all comments welcome"

Quick Reply: WTF is it with BMW drivers and their tax dic holders??!?!!!?