General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

focus rs ,chassis numbers

Search this Thread

Old 16-07-2008, 04:14 PM
raptor700r
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default focus rs ,chassis numbers

hello ppl .ive just bought a focus rs, from a salvage yard, stolen recovered, no damage ,wing mirror hanging off, as this ws stolen, the numbers from the chassis has been grinded out and a hole is in the floor,
ive asked the lads at the yard and they said just stick a bit metal over the top and stamp new numbers on ,
i know this car isnt recorded , so i would like a proper job done on this
not some bodge job, anyone had this problem before,
all advice would be welcome,
cheers
Old 16-07-2008, 04:25 PM
fordrs2005
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

seen this before they sell it as not recorded , wait till a few weeks down the line

phone ure local vosa centre they,ll tell u the proper procedure but a car like that needs re teeped correctly sounds like a bodge up waiting to happen .
Old 16-07-2008, 04:33 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by raptor700r
the numbers from the chassis has been grinded out and a hole is in the floor,
So you, or the seller can't prove that the shell belongs to the V.5 and reg number.
Do you have the V.5?

Old 16-07-2008, 04:54 PM
raptor700r
Virgin

Default ,,

i dont have the log book ,it had no tags on the number on the windscreen was different ,whoever stole this done all this to it ,looks like it was doubled up , two cars on the road at the same time with the same plates,
i have the right number for the chassis of the insurance company,
im getting new tags and dash sticker with the proper numbers on,
ive got the registration plate on it its a 52 /2003 focus rs, i know its not recorded,
all i need to know is whats the best way of getting the new chassis numbers put in the floor were the hole is
so it will need a new floor in,and the numbers stamped in has any one ever has this sort of problem, or were couldi get this done at
could i get a new floor welded in and then take it to ford to get it stamped ?

Last edited by raptor700r; 16-07-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 16-07-2008, 05:37 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

No one would cut out the VIN plate on perfectly good stolen car and fit it into another non stolen car, they could have saved time and left the stolen one with the Vin in.
The only reason the Vin is missing is someone has a legal smashed RS or Vin and v5 from one and had cut out the Vin on yours ready to replace it with the legal one.
The car must have been recovered before the other Vin was put in.

You won't be able to get anyone to stamp the old vin onto a blank plate, or new floor, how can they tell you haven't stolen this car and cut out the Vin.
I'd guess you're going to end up with a Q plate as you can't prove the I.D of the shell, unless the "Secret markings" that there alledgedly are on shells can track it back to factory records.

Either the above or something is very fishy about this post/poster.

Last edited by focusv8; 16-07-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 16-07-2008, 08:28 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

If the insurance company have provided the cars originals details then how is it not going to be recorded, as they have to place it on the recorded register if they have been involved. It would only not be recorded if the owner had not made an insurance claim and sold it on after it was recovered

All sounds very fishy
Old 16-07-2008, 08:42 PM
bamcossi
Regular Contributor

the best way to deal with it is just weld up the hole in floor and paint it.
make sure the engine number matches logbook .and keep and get as much paper work to prove it is said car .if no numbers match then go get your money back or you may lose the car .hope this helps
Old 16-07-2008, 08:52 PM
AlexRS2782
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Stolen & recovered with no damage yet the chassis numbers have been ground out & the plate removed - hmmm sounds dodgy as fuck tbh especially when the salvage yard have just suggested to stick a bit of metal in the gap & put new numbers on

Who's to say this Focus hasnt actually been heavily damaged & repaired off the books as well
Old 17-07-2008, 05:22 PM
raptor700r
Virgin

,i was with the owner of the yard a mate, and his mate a copper today at the yard and the copper said hes heard of it being stamped on the strut but then thats just a half a job,he said ford might do it ,,,it has been identified of the dvla must be by another number on the car,, i know the ppl at the yard ,and this car has been there since last year never moved from were it was put, wing mirror hanging off, numbers ground out no tag on the front and a dogy dash sticker under the screen with four digits different from the original number,
ive got the chassis number from the insurance,
new tags and dash sticker coming tomorrow,
so the new tag will go on and the dash sticker, from a company in nottingham ,
i dont want the strut stamped just a number were theres a hole in the floor was ,
so it will need a new floor and the numbers stamped in just wanted to know if anyone done this before,
ive been driving this car today as it has cleared from the insurance,
with trade plates on ,theres nothing wrong with the car drives straight
doesnt pull to the left or right,
i paid less than 5 grand for a focus rs 52 plate built 2003
and just because a car has been identified by a insurance company it gets catogorised as a class, b,c,d,e d means that it has light damage or the cost will total to more than a xxxx amount of money catergory,e means it has no damage or will cost less than xxxx amont of money to repair and doesnt go on the register, i.e stolen recovered,like the mercedes my girlfreind is driving that had no damage , and the focus rs ive just bought
with nothing much wrong with it

Last edited by raptor700r; 17-07-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 13-03-2011, 01:56 PM
clayton Borg
Part of the Furniture

I know this is an old thread but does anyone have any details of this car, build number or pictures so i can add it to the MK1 Focus RS build list.

Thanks for any help

Clayton
Old 13-03-2011, 03:08 PM
rs_traynor
stage4 2wd cosworth

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clayton Borg
I know this is an old thread but does anyone have any details of this car, build number or pictures so i can add it to the MK1 Focus RS build list.

Thanks for any help

Clayton
no but you can add mine tho mate. build no.3081 reg no. r5 exa
Old 13-03-2011, 04:30 PM
wibbler
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

And just to add something more to the ancient thread, people forget the VIN is embedded in the PCM etc. so unless you have a set of good electronics to swap over or enough brains & equipment to reflash everything the true number is still going to be in there and will pop up next time diagnostics are run.

You could never prove the ID 100% but you could definitely get a VIN - especially if it doesn't match the 'fake' one - plus it wouldn't be too hard to match the build date for that VIN vs. various part timestamps and the build spec; RS went through a few revisions across the short time it was in production so not hard to narrow down to a month or two. eg. RS02FUN = WF0BXXGCDB2T41835 = Build date 23.05.2002 + early spec/type A parts, not too difficult to check a few things to see if it matched.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:27 PM
John ler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old thread but this is total rubbish , what you guys have said, there are and is more ways of proving a shell is that of the chassis number this guy will have been given, and this is surprisingly quite common, cloning a car and grinding old number out so police can’t id the car, but as said, ecu will have it, but if doors and all openings are from when car was built, numbers on them will all I’d the car, as well as other numbers on the chassis ,