General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Would you use 2nd hand Cossie Rods?

Search this Thread

Old 13-07-2008, 10:07 PM
AussieModder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you use 2nd hand Cossie Rods?

Hi,

A set of 2nd hand cossie rods has come up for sale at a not terrible price. The story on them is they were bought as a spare for racing but never used and they have stated came from a road use only engine. They claim that they have raced for years (8) on another set and have simply not needed them. Assuming everything the guy says is true and they have only had road use and you used new rod bolts would you use them ?

And while I'm at it, are valve registration marks in cossie mahle pistons common ? This guy also has a set of second hand pistons up for sale which 3 & 4 has some pretty nasty marks on them.

TIA -Andy
Old 13-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive never used anything but used rods in YB's TBH, along with most folk on here, but its better if you know the history, sellers lie a lot of course.
If the rods were on the pistons when they got damaged the rods could be out of true.

Measure the carefully before using them if you do buy them.
Old 14-07-2008, 07:11 AM
AussieModder

Originally Posted by Chip
Ive never used anything but used rods in YB's TBH, along with most folk on here, but its better if you know the history, sellers lie a lot of course.
If the rods were on the pistons when they got damaged the rods could be out of true.

Measure the carefully before using them if you do buy them.
Thanks Chip
Old 14-07-2008, 09:59 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to use s/h rods if ok.
KISS marks are VERY common, don't worry.
tabetha
Old 14-07-2008, 10:11 AM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

id get them checked, balanced etc with the engine and you'd be let know by your engineer if any problems occur with them, second hand should be fine if all of them are straight tho
Old 14-07-2008, 10:40 AM
PGT
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

as above most people on here seem to be happy with sued yb rods but consider the cost of refurbing them;

check for straightness £10
new little ends £50
big end hone x4 £60
new bolts £60

= £180. a new set of en24 rods is about £300 (got mine from OZ on ebay) and you can sell your old ones for £50+
Old 14-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

if i had the choice of new rods from OZ on ebay or a set of used ford ones i would ckose,and have done loads of times,the ford ones,every time,no problem at all with used ones,and as for them bending,it takes one hell of a force to bend them.

pistons with valve marks,i bet 90% of the cosworts out there have pistons with valve marks!!
Old 14-07-2008, 11:16 AM
badnews
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

in all fairness i'v used lots of 2nd hand rods even the odd set of pistons. you can check the rods wich is straight forward but the pistons are another matter as we know they get a bit of slap after a few miles, unknown pistons even if they look fine can have a bit play not evident when you build up due to new rings and a rebore they seem fine only to rattle after a few miles not bad but anoying. they are not easy things to check as they are not truley round. ring lans wear and can have cracks in not easy to spot and can break out and fook the block and fook the whole thing up. it all depends how good they are mahle are the std ones used if your not going big power and want a cheap yb why not. i presume you are useing a pinto cranck as you asked the question about how much power they could handle. what block are you going to use do you have a yb block or are you going to use a 205
Old 14-07-2008, 12:13 PM
PGT

Originally Posted by TF Rallyesport
if i had the choice of new rods from OZ on ebay or a set of used ford ones i would ckose,and have done loads of times,the ford ones,every time,no problem at all with used ones,and as for them bending,it takes one hell of a force to bend them.

pistons with valve marks,i bet 90% of the cosworts out there have pistons with valve marks!!
well the ones i got from OZ on ebay were superb quality and cost £300 delivered. they were within 0.2 gram each but see i where you're coming from.

as regards pistons i also got a set of 0.5mm pistons off ebay for £50. there were 5 off them (1 new) as the original 4 all had valve/piston contact and the guy decided that the worst one was unuseable. anyway the new one was a good reference to the state of the used ones and although the used ones still had all the concentric fine grooves on the sides they were all out by about 2 thou across the skirts. there was also a noticable difference in the fit of a new pin in the used pistons compared to the new one. not sure how much these factors would impact on thier useability though - prob ok for most budget applications. for the record my genuine cosworth pistons had about 5k miles of hard use in a 400bhp spec engine and had no measurable wear and neither did the bores
Old 14-07-2008, 12:58 PM
AussieModder

Originally Posted by badnews
in all fairness i'v used lots of 2nd hand rods even the odd set of pistons. you can check the rods wich is straight forward but the pistons are another matter as we know they get a bit of slap after a few miles, unknown pistons even if they look fine can have a bit play not evident when you build up due to new rings and a rebore they seem fine only to rattle after a few miles not bad but anoying. they are not easy things to check as they are not truley round. ring lans wear and can have cracks in not easy to spot and can break out and fook the block and fook the whole thing up. it all depends how good they are mahle are the std ones used if your not going big power and want a cheap yb why not. i presume you are useing a pinto cranck as you asked the question about how much power they could handle. what block are you going to use do you have a yb block or are you going to use a 205
Hi Badnews, I'll be using an ex-sierra SOHC 205 block and most likely the crank and a YB cossie head. Im not sure about the rods in these hence my asking about the cossie ones that have come up. Regardless I'll be using new pistons as ive heard that anything much over 7.5K and the standard pistons will flog in the skirts. Thanks for the info btw.
Old 14-07-2008, 01:12 PM
AussieModder

Originally Posted by PGT
as above most people on here seem to be happy with sued yb rods but consider the cost of refurbing them;

check for straightness £10
new little ends £50
big end hone x4 £60
new bolts £60

= £180. a new set of en24 rods is about £300 (got mine from OZ on ebay) and you can sell your old ones for £50+
Yeah this is the process I'm running through in my mind. Also running a pinto 205 and not a cosworth gives a 1.5mm deck height difference I beleive which I have to take up in the pistons to get the CR right again whereas buying new rods i'd just get pinto ones and give me a wider choice of pistons. lol too many options me thinks. BTW I dont suppose you recall who the seller was (assuming they sell them regularly) ? Can't hurt to look into them.
Old 14-07-2008, 02:51 PM
PGT

argopetti - the rods apparently are made in oz by these people www.ppmrace.com
Old 14-07-2008, 04:31 PM
AussieModder

Originally Posted by PGT
argopetti - the rods apparently are made in oz by these people www.ppmrace.com
Thnx mate, I've seen their duratec turbo kits on there before too. The ppl selling the cossie rods are racers and went to those rods too I believe, they called them 'Argos' with Wossner pistons and another mob here Roccos Performance sell Wossner pistons and are the distributor here for ppmrace. They dont seem anywhere near as low as the money you payed for them now though. The YB rods ppmrace have are rated to 9000RPM/800HP.
Old 14-07-2008, 04:39 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

re-use the rods no problem; it all boils down to your budget - pistons you have to be a bit more careful with; and valve contact is very very common on pistons
Old 14-07-2008, 05:32 PM
PGT

Originally Posted by AussieModder
. They dont seem anywhere near as low as the money you payed for them now though. The YB rods ppmrace have are rated to 9000RPM/800HP.
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...=cosworth+rods

looks like £340 a set now (+ del). there are other vendors of yb rods on there though as well