General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Wimbledon - MURRAY - Come on son!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just from being a scotsman who has lived in England for a good few years, a big reason why a lot of Scottish people cant stand to see England win is that the 'british' press never shut up about it and its rammed down our throats at every event...... example, we heard on the national news about the recent summer rugby union tests when England, Ireland, Wales all got humped in their 2nd & final tests, but was it on the national news when Scotland beat Argentina in their 2nd test.. Nope, local news only.

Personally, if Scotland aren't in/or have been knocked out then I'd like another British/Irish team to win... but if Scotland are in then I'm not fussed about the other teams in the slightest and my focus is just on the Scottish performance.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 PM
stonehavencossie
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Just from being a scotsman who has lived in England for a good few years, a big reason why a lot of Scottish people cant stand to see England win is that the 'british' press never shut up about it and its rammed down our throats at every event...... example, we heard on the national news about the recent summer rugby union tests when England, Ireland, Wales all got humped in their 2nd & final tests, but was it on the national news when Scotland beat Argentina in their 2nd test.. Nope, local news only.

Personally, if Scotland aren't in/or have been knocked out then I'd like another British/Irish team to win... but if Scotland are in then I'm not fussed about the other teams in the slightest and my focus is just on the Scottish performance.

Cheers,
Grant

whats the problem with the press going on about it ?

Dont speak shite about it being rammed down your throats

England makes up the most of britain so naturally england is gonna get more coverage

If you dont wanna read, listen or look at it then dont do it or blame your local tv, newspaper radio for putting it on.

The scottish press is far worse with its coverage of the old firm/west coast and forgettign about the rest of the country.

Not all but a lot of scottish people just jump on the band wagon

Why shouldnt the newspapers in england get excited about their team s ?

Im the opposite being english in scotland and alls the scottish seem to care about is having a go at the english and looking for somne hidden conspiracy that doesnt exist thinking the english are cocks for simply caring and being positive.

The english in england dont understand all the fuss and why should they ?

They are entitled to hear about their own country in their own country as much as they want !

Last edited by stonehavencossie; 01-07-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stonehaven Cossie

You are right that the English media can go on about England if they want to, and the Scottish press can have a west coast bias, but the fact is that we have to pay the exact same price for the BBC licence as people in England, Wales, or Northern Ireland, so we are entitled to proper coverage.

Did you not see the results of the BBCs own report on 11 June that showed EVERY one of the 136 stories they broadcast across the whole UK in a 4 week period about health and education applied ONLY to England, but they never once mentioned that fact? Coverage on devolution was factually inaccurate.

Since then, they are much more careful to add something like "in England" to their stories.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story....code=41383&c=1

Last edited by Iain Mac; 01-07-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Originally Posted by stonehavencossie
whats the problem with the press going on about it ?

Dont speak shite about it being rammed down your throats

England makes up the most of britain so naturally england is gonna get more coverage

If you dont wanna read, listen or look at it then dont do it or blame your local tv, newspaper radio for putting it on.

The scottish press is far worse with its coverage of the old firm/west coast and forgettign about the rest of the country.

Not all but a lot of scottish people just jump on the band wagon

Why shouldnt the newspapers in england get excited about their team s ?

Im the opposite being english in scotland and alls the scottish seem to care about is having a go at the english and looking for somne hidden conspiracy that doesnt exist thinking the english are cocks for simply caring and being positive.

The english in england dont understand all the fuss and why should they ?

They are entitled to hear about their own country in their own country as much as they want !

Ok, this is something that we're blatantly not going to agree on... but to explain my point a bit further for you, I dont want to hear about it when its not relevant to what I'm watching. I was watching a Euro 08 game, I think it was a Spain game mid-way through the tournament and the commentators started to bleat on about the England team/previous games. It had absolutely no relevance to either of the teams playing, the way the game was being played or anything?!

As for the argument of the size of the country being directly related to the amount of media coverage that the country/national sports people should get.... thats just ridiculous mate, but I dunno if you're being serious or not. Made me laugh anyway!!

I think you're partially right about the newspaper coverage of the Old Firm teams, no end of stories about what this or that Rangers/Celtic player is driving or where they are going on nights out etc.. however, when you're watching a game between a couple of other (non old firm) teams, the commentators dont randomly break out into a conversation about Rangers or Celtic.

I think it was pretty clear, but I'll have another go, my point about the rugby coverage was that we heard about the negative results from everyone else in the British Isles on the BBC... but when the Scotland team actually produced a good result and a massive improvement over the first test the next day............. there was nothing at all, and that was on the BBC, which should be about National News in the whole of the British Isles.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 01-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Who cares anyway? He is playing for HIMSELF not the country!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:31 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

And nadal will kick his spotty arse anyway.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

at this thread, knew it would turn into england v scotland - who gives a fuck, the lad one a game of tennis, good luck to him

spread the love!

just a little reminder, Murray was playing a frenchman. So for those of you arguing, who would you want to win? Scotland or France?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
at this thread, knew it would turn into england v scotland - who gives a fuck, the lad one a game of tennis, good luck to him

spread the love!

just a little reminder, Murray was playing a frenchman. So for those of you arguing, who would you want to win? Scotland or France?
France, scottish bastards
Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Well he played shit the scottish wanker!

LMFAO Nah seriously, he didnt play well today and you could tell he knew it and didnt know how to change it! He didnt even get angry!

Well done to him for what hes done, and i hope he comes back better next year

Come on Federer
Old 03-07-2008, 05:55 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hope nadal wins now .
Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 AM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

glad he lost, got no prob with scots but he's gotta expect the abuse after saying he supports anyone but england, and for that reason i support anyone but murray
Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 AM
stonehavencossie

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Hope nadal wins now .

me to

not a chance though

federer is untouchable on grass same as nadal is at the french whatever they play on there
Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 AM
saffsta

Originally Posted by stonehavencossie
me to

not a chance though

federer is untouchable on grass same as nadal is at the french whatever they play on there
That would be clay
Old 03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

He's a good all round sport is Nadal, I liked him yesterday.

Benni.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
joel_winders
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

worthless scottish man !
Old 03-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Nick D

What was with his showing off his pecker bicep and the end of the game prior to nedal?