General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

PC World

Search this Thread

Old 27-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
thrush, its a peice of SOFTWARE. any fucking laptop CAN run it

it's like saying "wow, my PC can play minesweeper but my mac can't"

solution? install minesweeper on the mac
Shut it
Old 27-06-2008, 03:52 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont want a debate about it boys just wanted to know where to get a decent "cheapish" laptop
Old 27-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

ebay
Old 27-06-2008, 04:04 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by RSKim
i dont want a debate about it boys just wanted to know where to get a decent "cheapish" laptop
car boot

i'm sure someone will offer to sell you one for a tenner
Old 27-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

let me know if you want a dell.....
Old 27-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Daveyboy
let me know if you want a dell.....
I'll have one if it's silly cheap....
Old 27-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

dell.co.uk. imo proper bargains in the recon section (can't remember the proper name but they're ones that were returned and have been refurbed by dell and still come with a proer full warranty)

or speak to daveyboy and see what he can do for you.
Old 27-06-2008, 05:32 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

dojj, thrush - funeeee

daveyboy - there is a PM working its way to you
Old 27-06-2008, 05:48 PM
dojj

dojj, thrush - funeeee

daveyboy - there is a PM working its way to you
did you send it via a dell pc?

because some of them take a while to get going, you'll find a handle on the side and a tappetty machine to work it
Old 27-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Kim - Daveyboy won't get it till Monday morn now as his internet is down at home, and he's left work already
Old 27-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by dojj
did you send it via a dell pc?

because some of them take a while to get going, you'll find a handle on the side and a tappetty machine to work it
I don't get why people slate these Dell's so much. I've got a Dell PC, Optiplex something or other, P4 2.8ghz, 1.5gb RAM, 60gb OS drive (everything else is on my server) and 99% of the time it runs fine Does all the tasks I ask it to (downloads, converting video files, re-encoding video files, photo-editing, video editing, music editing, web surfing, word processing, DVD/Video/music burning, all pretty much without any hitches.... Every now and again it has a moment, but then, the current install of Windows has been on there for 2yrs+ which is what will be the problem (as Windows is a self-corrupting/diminishing OS by nature) but otherwise it's been spot on....
Old 27-06-2008, 06:07 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

lol dojj as long as it gets me going i really dont care i just need SOMETHING

Thrush, its okies, i am not in a rush
Old 27-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Magnex20011
PassionFord Regular

Hey Kim,

have a look at 'ACER'

If you want a cheap, usable PC that you will hack go for ACER.
The quality of the product has improved x100 in the past few years.
A good all round machine without having to spend a fortune (just my humble opinion)

On the other hand if you want to spend a bit more , then consider a MAC. Whoever says the only difference is the 'User interface' , hasn't got a clue. I worked for Apple for 2 years and their products have been proven time and time again. They will cost more (a lot more).. but a much better quality product overall. PS YOU can also run windows on the NEW MACS as they have Intel processors, so you are able to RUN MAC OS AND WINDOWS on the same machine.

ps- London is the way fwd

Last edited by Magnex20011; 27-06-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 27-06-2008, 06:11 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Magnex20011
Hey Kim,

have a look at ACER

If you want a cheap usable PC that you will hack go for ACER
(The qaulity has improved x100) in tha past few years. A good all round machine without having to spend a fortune, just my humble opinion

PS will u marry me ...
thanks hun lol

and i'm sorry im still too young for marriage
Old 27-06-2008, 06:38 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Kim, there is a load of bollocks typed on this thread by people who have clearly no idea what they are talking about. Jim Galbally made some good points on his posts. It all depends on what you want to spend, regardless of brand a cheap laptop is a cheap laptop and is cheap for a reason. This will include cheap components and poor quality materials such as poor lcd panels, poor quality speakers and quick drain battery!

I would not consider a Ł299 laptop as they are a poor spec and are a marketing item to get people into stores or onto websites. I bought my mum a Sony Vaio for Xmas and it was more expensive than some other laptops but the quality of the screen and plastics used is excellent and gives the laptop a feel of quality.

As for Windows Vista, I have had no issues with it and the laptop mentioned above has no issues. If I was buying a laptop I would go for this spec on Vista:

Intel 1.5ghz+ Core 2 Duo
2GB+ Ram
120GB+ Hard Disk
15"+ glossy/tru black laptop screen
Old 27-06-2008, 06:51 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Thrush
I don't get why people slate these Dell's so much. I've got a Dell PC, Optiplex something or other, P4 2.8ghz, 1.5gb RAM, 60gb OS drive (everything else is on my server) and 99% of the time it runs fine Does all the tasks I ask it to (downloads, converting video files, re-encoding video files, photo-editing, video editing, music editing, web surfing, word processing, DVD/Video/music burning, all pretty much without any hitches.... Every now and again it has a moment, but then, the current install of Windows has been on there for 2yrs+ which is what will be the problem (as Windows is a self-corrupting/diminishing OS by nature) but otherwise it's been spot on....

it's badge snobery mate, nothing more than that

it's like them peole who driver rollers look down their noses at people who drive bristols etc

or corsa drivers and nova's, of ghia owners at the rep in their lx
Old 27-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

it's not badge snobbery, it's the same thing as a KIA vs a mercedes...

the KIA will get you from A to B just as well as the mercedes, but in 10 years time do you expect the KIA to still be on the road?

cheap components=cheap PC
expensive components=expensive PC

not rocket science
Old 27-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Dan16v
Advanced PassionFord User

ive just bought a toshiba satellite a300-177 from pc world about 3 hours ago, id never bought anything from pc world and they were a great help, i told them what i wanted from a laptop and they showed me the one ive mentioned, i tested it out, it runs vista, wifi enabled etc etc so i bought a wireless router aswell, brought it home set it up with ease (i know sod all about setting up computers aswell) and hey presto.

didnt have any problems
Old 27-06-2008, 07:06 PM
dojj

it's not badge snobbery, it's the same thing as a KIA vs a mercedes...

the KIA will get you from A to B just as well as the mercedes, but in 10 years time do you expect the KIA to still be on the road?

cheap components=cheap PC
expensive components=expensive PC

not rocket science
but you can buy 10 kia's in the time you buy 1 merc, and the technology will have moved on and on and on every year

well, ok, perhaps not in the kia's market place, but you know what i mean

buy big and expensive if you are buying a house yes, but for a Ł20 coputer that's going to be obsoluete the moment you walk out the showroom it's a bit of a strange one

buy the best spec you can afford for the time and make sure it's as future proof as it can be, for at least a year in any case and then go from here
Old 27-06-2008, 07:11 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

your all confusing me now

i obviously want a laptop that will last me (my last one gave me the blue screen and will not start up at all, i lost everythign and i certainly dont want that again!!)

i am willing to spend up to about 400/500 quid on one, it would cost me roughly that for a pc, and to me a laptop is a lot more handy to have.

if i can get a decent one cheqper then bonus, but you get the idea
Old 27-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

it does not matter which laptop you buy, they will all have the same SOFTWARE problems (ie blue screens etc) as that is VERY RARELY related to the harfdware itself.

what do you really want/need out of the machine? what do you intend to do with it? will you ever want to play games for example?
Old 27-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been through 5 laptops in 5 years and 3 pc's, ive now got a acer cheepo PC from pc world on my plasma tv for downloading films that works ok but sometimes crashes and ive had my mac powerbook for 3 years,,,, its NEVER crashes,,, the clock bat has gone though so most software i cant use now but still works fine for what i need it for though

the thing that jim seems to forget,,,, most people will buy a new PC in 2 years anyway due to software ect,,,, its like getting clothes that stay like new for 3 years when you only wear them for best for one season,,,, then after that they are used for painting or working on the car
Old 27-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Ginge !
ive been through 5 laptops in 5 years and 3 pc's, ive now got a acer cheepo PC from pc world on my plasma tv for downloading films that works ok but sometimes crashes and ive had my mac powerbook for 3 years,,,, its NEVER crashes,,, the clock bat has gone though so most software i cant use now but still works fine for what i need it for though

the thing that jim seems to forget,,,, most people will buy a new PC in 2 years anyway due to software ect,,,, its like getting clothes that stay like new for 3 years when you only wear them for best for one season,,,, then after that they are used for painting or working on the car
I bought one pc and built it up from Scan. I upgraded my gfx card to warp speed. It is the same case for a few years. Buying 1 every year is just a bit of a waste of cash unless u can sell it on.

RW
Old 27-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Steven_RW
I bought one pc and built it up from Scan. I upgraded my gfx card to warp speed. It is the same case for a few years. Buying 1 every year is just a bit of a waste of cash unless u can sell it on.

RW

mate EVERYTHING in life is a waste of cash

every laptop i have bought has cost be fuck all second hand practically, i bought 1 pc that someone built for me and the motherboard died,,,, the second one i got upgraded by a mate and ALSO died

when i got 20meg BB i discovered that the lappys where not powerfull enoughh/up to date enough to handle it proper so i got a mac powerbook, warp speed machine and stable,,, i still got it now

i bought a cheepo ACER multimedia tv designed pc for i think 250 quid from pc world,,,, its mega fast and considering how many times i use it if it last 2 years im laughing

in 2 years duo core blah blah blah that my pc has will be like my SNES and all new software not compatible

OR i can buy a computer for 2k,,,,, and it last me 10 years,,,,, IVE NOT EVEN BEEN USING A COMPUTER FOR MORE THAN 5 FUCKING YEARS AND IVE HAD LOADS OF EM

5 years ago wasnt 1gig the " top speed" of a processor back then,,,, i bought a 500k machine for 300 quid second hand back then too im sure with 256k ram upgrade

my work pc's are upgraded ever 18 months even if there old and we use software that runs in dos !
Old 28-06-2008, 11:28 AM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

it does not matter which laptop you buy, they will all have the same SOFTWARE problems (ie blue screens etc) as that is VERY RARELY related to the harfdware itself.

what do you really want/need out of the machine? what do you intend to do with it? will you ever want to play games for example?
I just want to obviously get on the net, i want to stick itunes on it for my ipod, need to be able to download my piccies, just stuff liek that really i do play some games, but not many at all, spend most of my time on the net and itunes.
Old 28-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

oh shit, you might be better off with.... erm.... shit, i cant say it