General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

I'm devastated clarkson prooves an m3 is more economical than my beloved prius

Search this Thread

Old 24-06-2008, 06:44 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the point clarkson was trying to make was that, given a heavy right foot, the prius is going to give you shite fuel economy driven at a certain rate of knots, wher as a big sporty sports car such as the m3 will, at similar speeds, give you better mpg

obviously one is going hell for leather and using up all the power it can crate while the other is just dawdling along the road

it would have been a much better test to do the same thing with all the supercars with their gallons of fuel following the prius and the m3 and then figiuring out what their comparative mpg was

and don't forget, cars like tha ston martin soemthing or other have been shown to get from 0-140 by just using 4th gear so you could concevably just stay in the same geat for all those supercars and get the same sort of resluts as the m3 did
Old 24-06-2008, 06:47 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Does nobody elese realise it was a completely pointless test? The Prius was being driven on it's limits - flat out, and the Beemer was poodling round the track not even breaking a sweat! So naturally the Prius mpg was gonna be shit - all cars mpg is shit when you drive with the pedal on the floor!

Wonder what would have happend if you drove a Prius round the track with the pedal buried in the floor and then drove an M3 round the track with it's pedal buried in the floor, hmm?

duhhhh, really?

talk about stating the fucking obvious this is topgear, i think we all understand its a piss take
Old 24-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Toyota recycle the batteries infact they are duty bound to recycle the whole car and probably make a fortune selling the recycled materials to china lol.
Have we any statistics for mobile phone batteries, bet they are far more damaging to the enviroment than the small number of prius batteries made.
The prius electic drive is extremely clever and gives you an additional 270lbft of torque on demand.This energy is generated for free under normal driving conditions.
However under certain circumstances ala track use by the stig the battery will be flat and the engine will be driving the car and trying to recharge the batteries.
As a commuter car it is fine as a for your macho image it scores -50
what do you lot drive for a commuter car does it have street cred lol

Last edited by Turbosystems; 24-06-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 24-06-2008, 09:35 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitsy FQ
i've got a transit van, quicker than anything else on the road
Old 24-06-2008, 09:43 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitsy FQ
see sig - 1.25 fiesta. that is how i roll muthafucker
Old 24-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I paid £15 for a years road tax, was devasted when they wouldn't let me tax the prius for 6 months