General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

I'm devastated clarkson prooves an m3 is more economical than my beloved prius

Search this Thread

Old 23-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Default I'm devastated clarkson prooves an m3 is more economical than my beloved prius

Top gear last night m3 19 mpg prius 17 roflol
Old 23-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Jim Green
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now you know what to PX the Prius against..................LOL.
Old 23-06-2008, 08:13 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

pmsl

it does prove a good point about this tax brackets though!
Old 23-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jim Green
Now you know what to PX the Prius against..................LOL.
or just don't drive the prius like you stole it
i do manage to get 55-58 mpg on my general running around ,I have yet to do a track day in it
Old 23-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GARETH T
pmsl

it does prove a good point about this tax brackets though!
I paid 15 quid to road tax it this year, next year it is 0 pounds,no doubt golden brown will have changed his mind by then and it will be more
Old 23-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so glad he did that. I already get shed loads of stick at work. I went to our Slough office the other day in the csl and someone else pulled up behind me in a Prius.

I had to chuckle as I'm the company Energy Manager
Old 23-06-2008, 08:44 AM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

Blimey, I've never heard from anyone who actually owns a prius before!

I thought they were bought as token good will gestures by celebrities wanting to do their bit.

The one in 'Reaper' always looks quite good. Shame they so bloody expensive.
Old 23-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Phil
Jeebus

They have to be one of the least environmentally friendly cars you can buy at the moment
Old 23-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

I think any brand new model of car is not enviromentally friendly,
I prius new starts at 17k mine was used ,I only bought it for the cheap road tax as a run around car,and to save mileage on my evo fq,it was a waste to commute in my evo
Old 23-06-2008, 08:59 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
I'm so glad he did that. I already get shed loads of stick at work. I went to our Slough office the other day in the csl and someone else pulled up behind me in a Prius.

PMSL PMSL PMSL PMSL
Old 23-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Does nobody elese realise it was a completely pointless test? The Prius was being driven on it's limits - flat out, and the Beemer was poodling round the track not even breaking a sweat! So naturally the Prius mpg was gonna be shit - all cars mpg is shit when you drive with the pedal on the floor!

Wonder what would have happend if you drove a Prius round the track with the pedal buried in the floor and then drove an M3 round the track with it's pedal buried in the floor, hmm?
Old 23-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I don't know how I sleep Gareth!
Old 23-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
Does nobody elese realise it was a completely pointless test? The Prius was being driven on it's limits - flat out, and the Beemer was poodling round the track not even breaking a sweat! So naturally the Prius mpg was gonna be shit - all cars mpg is shit when you drive with the pedal on the floor!

Wonder what would have happend if you drove a Prius round the track with the pedal buried in the floor and then drove an M3 round the track with it's pedal buried in the floor, hmm?
That was the exact point he was making though; it's not the car it's how you drive. How many Prius's do you see legging it up an down the motorway putting in a worse MPG figure than a decent diesel? I've seen loads.

As a city car it's a better option but it's a case of people not understanding the details and jumping on a bandwagon. You can't blame them though as Tony has shown he saves on the Tax.

The total cost to the environment bit is absolutely right though.
Old 23-06-2008, 09:23 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shitty pointless top gear as usual.
Cars are normally and bought driven a certain way, ie small diesel cars generally bought by geriatrics who poodle everywhere, and no doubt get 60mpg +, no one buys a "M" to go slow the same as a cossie.
I get this all the time, my yank friend has a prious and he keeps telling me your car would be much cheaper to run if you changed it or slowed down.
I say WTF, why do you think a I bought a cossie to do 30mph everywhere like you!!
I've put over Ł100 a week in the cossie, rarely I must admit, but am happy with the running costs as I must accept them for the sort of car it is.
I would rather do 100miles in the cossie than 500 in the prious anyday, but my bus pass also comes in handy!!
tabetha
Old 23-06-2008, 09:26 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

missed the point did you? lol
Old 23-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the Beemer had an advantage anyway as the Prius was having to deal with the aerodynamic restrictions while the beemer was in its areo slipstream
Same effect as sitting behind a truck on the motorway for greater fuel consumption, its not realistic
Old 23-06-2008, 11:36 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

That was the exact point he was making though; it's not the car it's how you drive. How many Prius's do you see legging it up an down the motorway putting in a worse MPG figure than a decent diesel? I've seen loads.

As a city car it's a better option but it's a case of people not understanding the details and jumping on a bandwagon. You can't blame them though as Tony has shown he saves on the Tax.

The total cost to the environment bit is absolutely right though.
they do normally come past you at 80 mph+, great for fuel economy. people must buy them for the cheap tax and so that they look 'green' to the jones' next door or something

the clue is in the question csl - lightweight. cars from the likes of Lotus are the future

Originally Posted by Mitsy FQ
or just don't drive the prius like you stole it
i do manage to get 55-58 mpg on my general running around ,I have yet to do a track day in it
that's rubbish and just shows what a pointless waste of energy materials these things are, all because the marketing works to gullible twats who think that they are being 'green'.

as a piece of technology to show a step forward then they have a place.

the Beemer was poodling round the track
Originally Posted by tabetha
geriatrics who poodle everywhere

the word that you are looking for is 'pootle'

http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/POOTLE
Old 23-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

whats rubbish i do get 55 -58 on my comute
I can only go as fast as the car infront and on my commute that isn't very fast so I leave the evo at home
I have no interest in tree hugging my interest is purely my wallet
Old 23-06-2008, 12:02 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

i mean that getting 55 - 58 mpg on a commute is not very good, not that you're talking rubbish i'm sure that you could get better with a small diesel.

if you are only interested in your wallet, does that mean that you bought the poo-us for the combination of low running costs through the MPG and tax? if so, would you not be better off with a small diesel or samll car with small petrol engine and LPG conversion? obviously depends on your annual mileage, cost of petrol vs diesel, depreciation etc
Old 23-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
i mean that getting 55 - 58 mpg on a commute is not very good, not that you're talking rubbish i'm sure that you could get better with a small diesel.

if you are only interested in your wallet, does that mean that you bought the poo-us for the combination of low running costs through the MPG and tax? if so, would you not be better off with a small diesel or samll car with small petrol engine and LPG conversion? obviously depends on your annual mileage, cost of petrol vs diesel, depreciation etc
modern diesel is more economical but the car is too small, the poous doubles as a van is cvt auto and comes with all the toys and is seriously ugly like chip
and is 0 pounds tax next year,i don't mind paying tax when it is used to run the country ,our tax is just wasted on bollox .I just wish to contribute less to golden brown.We are ripped off in this country
Old 23-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

cunt
Old 23-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I just worked out that the amount of carbon I saved last year through my job is enough for me to do 6.5million miles in the CSL.

Fuck it, I'm going to sell it and commute in a tank
Old 23-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chip
cunt
and your an ugly cunt
Old 23-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Chip

Anthony with the overdrive pulley AMG SL55 Merc who went to the ring with me and JJ is the CTO of a social responsibility company, he said that the Merc is used as an alternative to flying, so is still environmentally friendly.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics
Old 23-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Chip

and your an ugly cunt
I resemble that comment
Old 23-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

I just worked out that the amount of carbon I saved last year through my job is enough for me to do 6.5million miles in the CSL.

Fuck it, I'm going to sell it and commute in a tank
just plant another tree on this planet we call a green house
Old 23-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

I resemble that comment

project prius has really just proved that new carbon friendly technologies are bolloxs and that aerodynamics just makes a car fooooookin ugly
Old 23-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Chip

The prius is a proving ground for technology, I dont think Toyota ever expected to get it right first time TBH
Old 23-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

The prius is a proving ground for technology, I dont think Toyota ever expected to get it right first time TBH
The car has had very little updates so was reasonably right it has had some firmware changes,the only advantage I can see is that it stores decel energy that would normally be wasted and gives you a massive 280lbft boost of torque for free with its electric drive
The styling was right first time chip roflol
Old 23-06-2008, 12:48 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

modern diesel is more economical but the car is too small, the poous doubles as a van is cvt auto and comes with all the toys and is seriously ugly like chip
and is 0 pounds tax next year,i don't mind paying tax when it is used to run the country ,our tax is just wasted on bollox .I just wish to contribute less to golden brown.We are ripped off in this country
my missus has a honda civic diesel which is a similar size as the poo-us, but with a more practical interior/boot as the rear seats fold up as well as down, and she gets 55mpg on her commute of 25 miles each day from just outside bracknell to just outside slough. and we averaged over 60 mpg in it on a 150 mile trip up to norfolk, so the fuel economy is not a whole lot worse (although you have to take into account the additional cost of diesel compared to poo-us petrol). that could probably easily be improved upon if you don't mind some ruining the styling by fitting wheel covers etc and making it as hideous as a poo-us.

as a matter of interest, did you also consider the civic hybrid? it's not the same shape as the 5 door european civc as it is based on the 2 door american coupe, but is better looking than the poo-us

http://www.honda.co.uk/car/civic/hybrid/
Old 23-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
my missus has a honda civic diesel which is a similar size as the poo-us, but with a more practical interior/boot as the rear seats fold up as well as down, and she gets 55mpg on her commute of 25 miles each day from just outside bracknell to just outside slough. and we averaged over 60 mpg in it on a 150 mile trip up to norfolk, so the fuel economy is not a whole lot worse (although you have to take into account the additional cost of diesel compared to poo-us petrol). that could probably easily be improved upon if you don't mind some ruining the styling by fitting wheel covers etc and making it as hideous as a poo-us.

as a matter of interest, did you also consider the civic hybrid? it's not the same shape as the 5 door european civc as it is based on the 2 door american coupe, but is better looking than the poo-us

http://www.honda.co.uk/car/civic/hybrid/
went to see the honda but they are saloons, need a hatch like a van
my poous has no wheel trims and if you think the wheel trims are ugly you want to see the wheel they are hiding with the trim
Old 23-06-2008, 02:21 PM
jammy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prius = cycle beater

pwnd!

JAmes.
Old 23-06-2008, 02:42 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

went to see the honda but they are saloons, need a hatch like a van
true, didn't think of that (even though i wrote about it being based on the saloon not the hatch)
Old 23-06-2008, 05:07 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tony, i was thinking of you when watching it....i knew youd love the result
Old 23-06-2008, 06:15 PM
blacky.
BANNED
BANNED

i always said they were crap lol they are supposed to be green what happens to all the batteries in the boot when they get scrapped or go tits up

btw a new battery for the poous (the one in the back) is over 1k & the last one i seen fail was just out of warranty not to good for the wallet
Old 23-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

pruis. shuch a boring car. When you buy a toyota dont you get a pipe a flat cap n glasses in the glove box? Cause 9 times out of 10 there is always a coffing dodger on there last legs driving them.
Old 23-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Chip

10 times out of 10 now Tony has one too
Old 23-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Ha Ha Well Funny
Old 23-06-2008, 10:57 PM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

http://www.peugeot.com.au/PEUGEOT/AU...nshow&FFFF2391

Quick Reply: I'm devastated clarkson prooves an m3 is more economical than my beloved prius