General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone in car insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2008, 02:21 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in car insurance?

My friend told me about a claim that's being brought against her sister/her sister's 8 year old son.

Basically my friend's 8 year old was riding his bike, came out of a side road and hit the driver's rear quarter of a car that was passing the junction.

On receiving a letter from RAC direct claims, stating that they needed insurance details for her son, she phoned them, explained that he was an eight year old boy, didn't have insurance and that he was riding a push bike.

They seemed fine with this, and she thought that everything was sorted.

Now, she's received a letter from RAC informing her that as she has not passed on details of insurance for the "motorbike". She has phoned them again and they have asked for her insurance details/or her home insurance details. Is this right? Can they really claim off your car insurance/home insurance for an accident which involved a minor?

The photographs that have also come through from the insurance company to the vehicle are laughable... my friend's son wasn't hurt in the accident in any way, he virtually bounced off the rear panel at the driver's side of the car. The photographs show damage to the front wing, door and passenger rear quarter and lock damage????!!!! WTF????

I have advised that she go seek legal advice and to stop trying to deal with these people over the phone, it all needs to be in writing.

I would be refuting the whole claim if it was me, she knows her little boy hit the car, but to be claiming for all this damage is just way beyond civil. She even has doubts that the pics of the Vauxhall Corsa that were sent to her is the car that was involved in the accident. It was light when the accident happened and she said that the car was black and it was an Astra.... we now have pics of a metallic blue Corsa.....
Old 20-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

LMFAO,

If you get hit by a horse, push bike, skatebord etc, fuck all they can do.

just an accident, end of.
Old 20-06-2008, 03:57 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Details of an 8 years insurance for his push bike

sorry but that is ridiculous.
Old 20-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

next they will report the poor kid to the police, saying he hit and run

the only way the car owner will get the damage fixed is by claiming of their own insurance.
Old 20-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

tell them politely to do one.

Some people make me laugh

Insurance will try anything if they think they can get away with it
Old 20-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvis
LMFAO,

If you get hit by a horse, push bike, skatebord etc, fuck all they can do.

just an accident, end of.
If you are a grown-up you are liable for any damage you cause on your horse, push bike, skateboard. It's less clear about your liability for damage caused by your kids.
Old 20-06-2008, 05:57 PM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XRdodgybird
...She even has doubts that the pics of the Vauxhall Corsa that were sent to her is the car that was involved in the accident. It was light when the accident happened and she said that the car was black and it was an Astra.... we now have pics of a metallic blue Corsa.....
is she blonde
Old 20-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Smiggy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Elvis
next they will report the poor kid to the police, saying he hit and run

the only way the car owner will get the damage fixed is by claiming of their own insurance.
Not true I'm afraid. You can be pursued in the small claims court or even your house insurance can get claimed.

That's partially why we have dog insurance as well. If he runs on to the road and a car swerves to avoid him and hit a lampost, then I am covered. Without insurance I could be held liable. Would all depend on whether the victim was savvy enough to chase it up.
Old 20-06-2008, 06:20 PM
rssteve
Advanced PassionFord User

if the said child has caused some damage then why dosn;t she offer to pay for the cost of repair. She should have kept her kid under control and should not have let them ride a bike on the road if they were not responsible enough. Agree the damage that was caused and pay for it. Everyone is happy then.

Just thinik What would of happened it he had been run over?