General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Scared of driving after having an accident???

Search this Thread

Old 16-06-2008, 03:16 PM
4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared of driving after having an accident???

anyone had an accident and now scared of certain driving situations?

i had a recent accident where i lost the back end of a brand new vectra and the car spun, and now im shit scared of bends.

was out in my friends SL55 and he put his foot down on a road which wasn't stright but had a slight bend all the way to the end, my heart was beating overtime and i though i was going to die, kept thinking we're going to spin out at speed.

cant go around a bend without thinking the back ends going to let go and im gonna spin out and kill my self.

anyone had the same problem, if so please tell me it goes away! im only young,lol. got years of driving ahead of me.

Just for the record i wasn't driving like a complete twat, the road was slippery due to it being a very cold night.
Old 16-06-2008, 03:23 PM
morcheen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no,wrote of 2 cars after an arsehole pulled out of a drive on top of me.10 minutes later i was in another car driving. if you lost the back on a road,it was either covered in oil,ice,shit tyres or you were going to fast in the first place.just get out there and drive,before the price of juice puts you off the road
Old 16-06-2008, 03:24 PM
escos-jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i'm sure it will go mate, dont worry bout it too much.
I had a panic attack once while stuck in a long traffic jam on the motorway (probably due to major hang over from night before)
and for ages after i feared getting stuck in a jam because of that episode.
That soon went (6 months ish)

It's pretty normal / natural dude.
Old 16-06-2008, 03:29 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

i wrote of my first car a week and half an hour after passing my test, all 4 wheels were in the right place, but not much elses was it just about still drove so my mum made me drive it back (only 5 mins) with my dad in front and my mum behind because she said if i didnt drive straight away i would be scared next time.
Old 16-06-2008, 03:36 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by morcheen

no,wrote of 2 cars after an arsehole pulled out of a drive on top of me.10 minutes later i was in another car driving. if you lost the back on a road,it was either covered in oil,ice,shit tyres or you were going to fast in the first place.just get out there and drive,before the price of juice puts you off the road

this is the thing, im normally a relentless fucker but for some reason bends shit me up now.

it was a bend, downhill and the it may have been extra slippery as it was a very cold night, i even tried to opposite lock but physics took over so opposite lock to no avail. Now im scared that i have no controll over the cars i drive.

I think i need to get onto a private test track and push my car around bends to restore my faith in tyres and cure my phobia.... not a good feeling tho

Last edited by 4x4; 16-06-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 16-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

i put my corsa Gsi through a fence in the wet after 6hrs of ownership, i was really nervous driving in the rain after that for a good few months!

It didnt help i was doing 80mph mind, i dont trust wet roads

Sarah
Old 16-06-2008, 03:39 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by escos-jim
i'm sure it will go mate, dont worry bout it too much.
I had a panic attack once while stuck in a long traffic jam on the motorway (probably due to major hang over from night before)
and for ages after i feared getting stuck in a jam because of that episode.
That soon went (6 months ish)

It's pretty normal / natural dude.
wow sounds scary! well i hope it goes before 6 months as cars are my life....
Old 16-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Ive had someone take me out when turning into a road they drove straight into the side of me. Also when edging out of some garages on a 30 road with parked cars blocking my view, a speeding motorist hit me in the side at atleast 50 and t boned my golf gti. Makes me a bit wairy now of people pulling out on me at junctions and side roads so always slow down a bit when i never used to

my golf rip

car that hit me

Last edited by Sunil_FiestaRS1800; 16-06-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 16-06-2008, 03:46 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by fraser9764
i wrote of my first car a week and half an hour after passing my test, all 4 wheels were in the right place, but not much elses was it just about still drove so my mum made me drive it back (only 5 mins) with my dad in front and my mum behind because she said if i didnt drive straight away i would be scared next time.
i actually drove home in a different car when we had cleared the mess! its once you sleep on it when you realise you have a problem! Although uts not driving but going around long wide bends that gets me
Old 16-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

just dont avoid them situation.

i used to get panic attacks when i was driving then the boundaries got closer to home and now i suffer from agoraphobia cause i now avoid places which set me off with attacks. which is pretty much anywhere other than my bedroom tbh.

so in short dont avoid it face ya fears
Old 16-06-2008, 03:52 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
i put my corsa Gsi through a fence in the wet after 6hrs of ownership, i was really nervous driving in the rain after that for a good few months!

It didnt help i was doing 80mph mind, i dont trust wet roads

Sarah

80mph? where were you driving?

not good tho, seeing as its wet 90% of the year
Old 16-06-2008, 03:54 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by Diamonds
just dont avoid them situation.

i used to get panic attacks when i was driving then the boundaries got closer to home and now i suffer from agoraphobia cause i now avoid places which set me off with attacks. which is pretty much anywhere other than my bedroom tbh.

so in short dont avoid it face ya fears
never knew it could be so bad

but i do need to face my fears, need to get to a private piece of land and drive till i hit the cars limits around corners!
Old 16-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

just carry on as you are or maybe do a tack day course or something your all kitted up and shit you be ok.

mine wasnt from a crash... i dont think anyway.

but like i say avoidance is the worse thing you can do
Old 16-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in was a little worried on the bend where i span the scoobie at the ring

never had a crash on the road though so cant comment
Old 16-06-2008, 04:00 PM
cossie04

It does go over time, i had exactly what you had long corner, ass end come out on my orion at 60-70ish and went straight through a flint stoned wall. Didn`t drive till a month later, but was still scared months later. As said earlier, it will go, just gotta get back out there and have faith.
Old 16-06-2008, 04:01 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by Diamonds
just carry on as you are or maybe do a tack day course or something your all kitted up and shit you be ok.

but like i say avoidance is the worse thing you can do
indeed!
Old 16-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Jimmyc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Meet it head on mate, need to get out there and go drive lots of long bends until you feel comfortable. If you're worried about losing it in the wet, go and do a skid pan day, it'll bosst your confidence and you'll have the knowledge if something does slip.
Old 16-06-2008, 04:07 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by Jimmyc
Meet it head on mate, need to get out there and go drive lots of long bends until you feel comfortable. If you're worried about losing it in the wet, go and do a skid pan day, it'll bosst your confidence and you'll have the knowledge if something does slip.
very good idea.... do you have any info on where i could get myself on a skid pan driving course
Old 16-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

i would also highly recomend you get on a track day or skid pan session. without it you will never know where a car's limits are, it is NOT safe to explore them on the road
Old 16-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Jimmyc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by 4x4
very good idea.... do you have any info on where i could get myself on a skid pan driving course
Not around London, but a quick google search turned this up, seems reasonable price: http://www.slam-iam.co.uk/skidpan.htm
Most of the days around me have morning session on a skidpan, then afternoon rally tutorial or the like.
Old 16-06-2008, 04:20 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by Jimmyc
Not around London, but a quick google search turned this up, seems reasonable price: http://www.slam-iam.co.uk/skidpan.htm
Most of the days around me have morning session on a skidpan, then afternoon rally tutorial or the like.
nice one
Old 16-06-2008, 04:22 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

My brother had a major one and he was scared for a while, got flashbacks etc, but he's okay now. Wrote his car off and another one when he came off a wet road on a bend and he had to be taken to hospital. This was a while ago now though.

I crashed into a hedge on my way to work when there was black ice on the road one morning, but it was soft so only a headlight broken. Again a few years ago now.

Last edited by TrevCos; 16-06-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 16-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by 4x4
80mph? where were you driving?

not good tho, seeing as its wet 90% of the year
down a road near power plant, went straight through chicken wire fence and nearly hit a wall

It was in feb mind so expect the rain

i was showing off and being a tit and tbh i deserved to crash, definitely calmed my driving down
Old 16-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had a tyre blow out on me on a motorway car done a 360 on me..
after that i was so scared to drive on a motorway and even time i was close to where it was i got myself into a state..i did get over it after a while but if the car move's a bit like it did on that night i do panick

best thing is to get back in the car and try not to think about it maybe easy said then done, i used to put my music up loud when on the motorway and try get my mind off thinking the worse
Old 16-06-2008, 04:43 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by ** T **
after that i was so scared to drive on a motorway and even time i was close to where it was i got myself into a state..i did get over it after a while but if the car move's a bit like it did on that night i do panick

best thing is to get back in the car and try not to think about it maybe easy said then done, i used to put my music up loud when on the motorway and try get my mind off thinking the worse

after that day i've always taken extra care over my tyres and keep a close eye on them.

never understood how my friend always gets his tyres repaired after a puncture!!!! he just gets a puncture repair kit job done on it, how the fuck he drives around especially on motorways without being conserned of a blowout is beyond me. All in the name of saving money
Old 16-06-2008, 04:44 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like overtaking foreign artics any more.

I was in a company Fiesta (ooooh the power!) and was hanging around in standing traffic on the M25 while working away. Next thing I know This German lorrie's making his own route from Lane 1 into Lane 2, where I'm patiently waiting for the traffic to move forward. Unfortunately for the Fiesta, his route didn't include waiting for me because he couldn't see me. Thankfully the impact speed was less than 10mph.

And, it seems, that I always find the ones that are nodding off on the motorway - now I just won't overtake them in the next lane - I'll go all the way to Lane 3 (or 4 on the A1!) to pass them. I've had so many just fall across the front or drift over next to me.

And wet corners still make my backside twitch when I'm driving my Saff.
Old 16-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4
after that day i've always taken extra care over my tyres and keep a close eye on them.

never understood how my friend always gets his tyres repaired after a puncture!!!! he just gets a puncture repair kit job done on it, how the fuck he drives around especially on motorways without being conserned of a blowout is beyond me. All in the name of saving money
i was lucky it was half 1 in the moring and noone was around me
Old 16-06-2008, 04:53 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just find that the situation the accident happened in, I am more wary, ie, passing through traffic lights I slow right down (someone jumped a red on me)

or changing lanes in traffic, (got side swipped because I didn't check the mirrors and just pulled out - doh!!)

The fact is, your mind realises the danger where it had never experienced it before so forces you to be more careful.
Old 16-06-2008, 04:54 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by cozmeister

And wet corners still make my backside twitch when I'm driving my Saff.
funny you mention the saff.

im actually looking for another rwd saff cos but i was very close to calling that of as im scared of corners these days and we all know saff cos reputation of cornering in wet/slippery conditions.

having said that imo rwd respond best to oposite lock when the back end lets go.
Old 16-06-2008, 05:18 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by 4x4
having said that imo rwd respond best to oposite lock when the back end lets go.
Usually the way the back end steps out is a lot more predictable with RWD. However oversteer is easier to cure (if you have enough space) with FWD. Countersteer and full throttle will get you out of anything...
Old 16-06-2008, 05:39 PM
4x4

Originally Posted by PeterRST
Usually the way the back end steps out is a lot more predictable with RWD. However oversteer is easier to cure (if you have enough space) with FWD. Countersteer and full throttle will get you out of anything...
this is what i tried with the useless FWD vectra but to no avail, may be because of the very slippery roads physics just didn't allow me to win!!! also watching a re run of an old top gear and clarkson drove the vxr and said it was the worsed chasis he's come across, but thats becaused it understeered from all sides, in my occassion i oversteered. Whats the better one out of the two? whats easier to correct in a fwd in your opinion?
Old 16-06-2008, 05:46 PM
4x4

peterRST

also i had a different idea on oversteering fwd cars to you,

countersteer and full throtle you say will get you out of anything given enough space?

i use a corsa run around and sometimes throw it through corners. In wide long bends the car does have body roll and i can keep the throtle planted but never knew this about oversteer.
Old 16-06-2008, 05:59 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by 4x4
peterRST

also i had a different idea on oversteering fwd cars to you,

countersteer and full throtle you say will get you out of anything given enough space?

i use a corsa run around and sometimes throw it through corners. In wide long bends the car does have body roll and i can keep the throtle planted but never knew this about oversteer.
The problem is that any FWD car will get very unstable when you lift off during hard cornering. Throttle "pulls the car straight". Watch BTCC for example or even those arab drifting videos. FWD physics allow you to recover from 90°+ drift angles

Best would be to get a performance driver training which allows you to experience all that yourself.
Old 16-06-2008, 06:00 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

no. had a couple of major write offs and walked away with minor injuries but no fear of driving.
Old 16-06-2008, 06:04 PM
TrevCos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ** T **

Oh, I forgot about that, I had a blowout in my BMW at 60mph. It wasn't actually too bad to control but the tyre ripped completely off the rim and there were bits of rubber all over the car. Had to get the AA out because I was blocking the road. That one didn't really bother me that much.
Old 16-06-2008, 06:25 PM
lozi
My Cossie Ate My Money

i rolled my zetec s i had at over 100 being a complete twat down a backroad, i had only had the car a month or so!

tbh i was ragging a van about a week later and not even thinking about it but i did sometimes get flashbacks which used to shit me up bad!

it was however the end of me being a properly dangerous idiot and taught me a lesson

Old 16-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

When I first had my stage 3 rwd saff, was tootling to work on the motorway doing about 70ish and I was in the middle lane

Pulled into the right lane and put foot down a BIT, roads were damp and the back end twitched, let foot off straight away (I now know the wrong thing to do as it can kick back the other way) but luckily it straightened up and I was fine.

Now in the wet, I drive miss daisy.

Lesson learned, thankfully it wasnt a costly lesson...
Old 16-06-2008, 07:20 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes and no, i eneded up hitting a tree and landing on my roof

next day i bought another car and was driving as normal, but for some strange reason i carnt be a passenger in any other car since that day, as i start to feel sick and go light headed, but if im driving im fine, but i carnt do long distance, say drive down to london or somewhere aswell, been like that for 5 years now

heres what was left of my car after the tree finished with it

Old 16-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

is it me or are ALL the new vauxhalls shit when it comes to corners?

drove a new vectra a while back at brunters, and the peice of shit just wouldnt go round corners, and then a bit later a new astra - that was the same. and now i have a combo van on hire as my dispatch is fucked, that pile of shit is exactly the same, nearly crashed it sooo many times!

mid bend they just seem to loose all grip and let go, usually the front end tho.

anyway, in reply to your post, get over it lol.

you always bounce back.
Old 16-06-2008, 08:15 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Was in a pug205 that my mate rolled cos he cant drive (), havent had any real problems, 'sometimes' get a bit edgy and look for the passenger breaks when he's pushing it in area's you shouldnt be! but other than that, nope no problems!

TWAT lol

Quick Reply: Scared of driving after having an accident???