General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Scared of driving after having an accident???

Search this Thread

Old 16-06-2008, 09:34 PM
4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fudgey
is it me or are ALL the new vauxhalls shit when it comes to corners?

drove a new vectra a while back at brunters, and the peice of shit just wouldnt go round corners, and then a bit later a new astra - that was the same. and now i have a combo van on hire as my dispatch is fucked, that pile of shit is exactly the same, nearly crashed it sooo many times!

mid bend they just seem to loose all grip and let go, usually the front end tho.

you always bounce back.

i've also put a little bit down to the vectra being a shit handling car... but agree with them not being very good around bends, astras also, not so much the corsa's tho.
Old 16-06-2008, 09:48 PM
picky775
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i had a blow out at 80 on the motorway a couple of months ago now its always on my mind when i go on the motorway,waitin to get my car mapped but ive still got the blow out in my head so dont want it to happen again with rick the map man in the car too
Old 16-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by xr4x4rs
yes and no, i eneded up hitting a tree and landing on my roof

next day i bought another car and was driving as normal, but for some strange reason i carnt be a passenger in any other car since that day, as i start to feel sick and go light headed, but if im driving im fine, but i carnt do long distance, say drive down to london or somewhere aswell, been like that for 5 years now
my crash was about 4yr ago and im a shocking passenger now at high speeds, but fine when doing it myself

i cling on and brake when someone else is driving lol

Sarah
Old 16-06-2008, 09:51 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by lozi
i rolled my zetec s i had at over 100 being a complete twat down a backroad, i had only had the car a month or so!

tbh i was ragging a van about a week later and not even thinking about it but i did sometimes get flashbacks which used to shit me up bad!

it was however the end of me being a properly dangerous idiot and taught me a lesson

Bollox were you doing 100.......
Old 16-06-2008, 10:23 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had a 'moment' and ended up on the roof a few years back.

tbh i still drive careful on the roads even now. after that,
as i know now how easy it can happen, and i wasnt really even being silly that night..
Old 17-06-2008, 05:14 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was slammed into a tree by a car driver who then drove off, and was never caught, I was on my m/bike, spent 19 months in hopspital(1st thre in coma) but was onb a bike 2 days after getting out riding off road, A+E moaned like buggery as I got the plaster wet though, so had to be recast!!
tabetha
Old 17-06-2008, 08:10 AM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

You get over it eventually.
I've written off a couple of cars and fallen off my old moped countless times.
Falling off the bike is worst, you stop leaning into corners and drive like a granny because you have no faith in the thing.

The only lasting effect my accidents have had on me is I now leave a proper stopping distance in front of me - and get all arsey when some ignorant cunt pulls into it.
Old 17-06-2008, 08:15 AM
4x4

but my problem is im scared to give it some on the bends, and the bends is where you leave those tailgating wanabe drivers behind.lol

best thing to do is a track day of somesort which ppl have suggested.
Old 17-06-2008, 08:31 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I was rear ended in queuing traffic at 60+mph 5 years ago.

i had flash backs and panic attacks after wards for a good while, especially if i was in queuing traffic and someone looked like they were approaching too fast.

I had counselling too as i had a massive change of attitude, became very short tempered and stressed alot. i've never fully recovered tbh.

I cant be a passenger in a car if its making progress if i havent been in a car with you before or dont trust you. One old mate who took me for a spin in his car had a history of poor driving and i was always concerned being in a car with him.

i was punted 100 yards down the road in between queuing traffic and traffic coming at me at 60mph. Kinked the roof in 2 places (near the sunroof and C pillar), bent the exhaust so the car didnt really like starting, brakes didnt work, drivers seat collapsed and the stereo flew out lol

after being carted off to hospital as a precaution (st johns ambulance guy was concerned id broken my neck or something), once i got home i got straight back in a car.

Last edited by SapphyMike; 17-06-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 17-06-2008, 08:35 AM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

I had a serious motorbike accident in 2001, took me years to get back on a bike, panics attacks and the lot, am nearly ok now though, baby steps.

Debs
Old 17-06-2008, 10:58 AM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicko&Sarah
my crash was about 4yr ago and im a shocking passenger now at high speeds, but fine when doing it myself

i cling on and brake when someone else is driving lol

Sarah
im honestly terrible lol, can do about 5 mins then i start to panic as im not in control, its proper shit as i carnt even go in friends cars that i really want to go in lol
Old 17-06-2008, 11:10 AM
vinnyvangough

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a drunk driver pull out in front of me in feb, wrote my van off but the same night i jumped in the corsa and drove home at the normal 70+ just to show myself i wont let it scare me. I do slow down a lot more at junctions now waiting for the sods to pull out on me again
Old 17-06-2008, 11:22 AM
sexr3i
isn't it

I'm a control freak too, hate being a passenger and really freak out in the back of anything 3 door, always planning ways to escape when we're upside down and shit like that.
Only had one proper smash but had loads of near misses that I've corrected due to the experience understeering wildly in the past has taught me, if you live, you learn.
Old 17-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by picky775
i had a blow out at 80 on the motorway a couple of months ago now its always on my mind when i go on the motorway,waitin to get my car mapped but ive still got the blow out in my head so dont want it to happen again with rick the map man in the car too
i was behind a van on the m4 a few weeks back that was doing about 70, i was closing him down at around 90, when he suddenly decided to exit stage right, went from the middle lane into the central reserve... the chap had a blowout in his transit.

i stopped and called the services as no other fucker did, cops came and done a rolling road block and stopped the traffic to clear the van off the carrageway. one cop then hands me a shovel to help clear up. i gave it back as i was already late, and then had about 10 lovely clear miles of motorway to myself.. did i drive at 50? did i bollocks

luckily it was 6am and not much traffic about, but could have been nasty if it were 9am or such.

anyway, crashing is a part of life, ive had my fair share lol, last one was t-boning some bint on my motorbike at about 45mph as she decided to turn out of stationry traffic and make an illegal right turn... that one hurt the gonads i tell thee!
Old 17-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by pee vee
i had a 'moment' and ended up on the roof a few years back.

tbh i still drive careful on the roads even now. after that,
as i know now how easy it can happen, and i wasnt really even being silly that night..

what utter bollocks!

you of all people drive like a cunt!
Old 17-06-2008, 07:18 PM
lozi
My Cossie Ate My Money

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
Bollox were you doing 100.......

i was doing over 100 when i lost the car, granted most of that would have been scrubed off with the spinning and taking out a post and a fence but i was defo doing over 100 when i lost control.

btw the car flipped and flew through the air upside down it didnt barrel roll.

the road was the other side of the trees in the distance

Old 17-06-2008, 08:33 PM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i went off roading on the a1 at 100mph in a mondeo and i was in passenger front and got seriously fucked up as my corner took the full impact and i refuse to be a passenger except when our lass is driving as it scares the shit out off me
Old 17-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunil_FiestaRS1800
Ive had someone take me out when turning into a road they drove straight into the side of me. Also when edging out of some garages on a 30 road with parked cars blocking my view, a speeding motorist hit me in the side at atleast 50 and t boned my golf gti. Makes me a bit wairy now of people pulling out on me at junctions and side roads so always slow down a bit when i never used to

my golf rip

car that hit me
this is not a 50mph impact
Old 17-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

I have never had a crash on the public highway, I must have a 6th sense and serious driving ability
Old 17-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitsy FQ
this is not a 50mph impact
Maybe he meant combined speeds?? especially as a speed bump is clearly visible so it must be a 30mph or maybe 20mph zone.

Post traumatic stress and mild phobias are normal after a serious trauma. Its only a problem if it goes on for over 6 months.
Old 17-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Maybe he meant combined speeds?? especially as a speed bump is clearly visible so it must be a 30mph or maybe 20mph zone.

Post traumatic stress and mild phobias are normal after a serious trauma. Its only a problem if it goes on for over 6 months.
he said he was nosing out of a junction so doubt it was combined ,he said the other car was doing 50.
looks more like a 20mph collision single or combined speed impact speed is the same