General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What are these camera's you see......

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:42 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these camera's you see......

What are these cameras you see strapped and chained to lamp posts?

I took the car out for a quick drive round the block for the first time in ages. Anyway, when i got back i realised it ran out of tax at the end of last month and forgot all about it as i hardly use it lately!

I didnt even notice the camera at that point, but noticed it when i went past a few hours later in the van. Its just a camera temporarliy attached to the lamp post.

I dont think i was doing over 40 as the car would still have been cold-ish so i wouldnt have been revving it or doing any real speed, but im just wondering if its one of those anpr things that would have got my reg as i had no tax!

Its all taxed for another year now, so i suppose ill have to wait and see if anything comes of it.

Last edited by S1rst; 05-06-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:46 PM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chained to a lamp post? That's a new one on me...

They have to be securely mounted to take a usable picture, and if it were a mobile ANPR one it would need someone sat in a van or car nearby to make use of it.

Wouldn't like to guess - maybe someone's CCTV or something? Did it look like a speed/ANPR camera?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:50 PM
tsutton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Got a pic?

Here in Norfolk - Thickthorn roundabout (A11/A47), we have a small, black camera which looks over the road. It's CCTV type as it can move the "ball" round. And it's attached to the lightpost.

If it's chained, it's either someone else's camera or something dodgy!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:53 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It is securly attached and its chained on with a lock too.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:54 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I dont think it will just be someone whose put it up as a cctv camera as the lamp post is on the other side of the footpath.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are like census points. they check the number of vehicles using certain routes to find out what routes are busiest and so on. you also might have noticed 2 black wires running across the road with a box chaned to the bottom of the post which also counts the vehicles that drive over it
Old 05-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

We use them in Herts. They are there fro nothing more than to temporarily monitoring junctions etc. No enforcement use at all.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

dont worry about it mate its only one of these cctv traffic camra's we have them on roundabout and traffic ligths around here..

does it have some big black box that is placed on the floor ours do...

you will find them at round about's or anywhere that has built up traffic

Last edited by Rs Baz; 05-06-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:22 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Any of those black strips along the road?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:20 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I dont think it has the black rubber strip things on the road, but im pretty sure it has the black box at the bottom. Hopefully i should be ok then. Cheers.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 PM
roybacer
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a few out side waterloo station

The box which is chained up sayes it belongs to a traffic monitoring company
Old 05-06-2008, 06:32 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TWO lines on the road is a SPEED measuring device, but these are not linked to cameras so is anonymous, pre traffic census only needs and uses ONE line, two are needed to determine SPEED over the lines(TIME/DISTANCE).
Without seeing it hard to say, but if locked to lamp post, and secured witn Stainless Steel jubilee clips around the post ?, it is most likely a SPEED counter, although it measures speed, it does not have a camera so does not know who's ca ris doing what speed.
These are used to measure the speed where an application has been made to install another "CASHPOINT"(speed camera).
These are a sort of shaped box with a pent roof lid that is sited with it's flat side against the post.
These contain ANTI TAMPER DEVICES, and some are even able to leak a dye if tampered with.
If someone was to put a cable tie around the LINES of the speed detectors with the two lines they would not pass air pressure(how they work) so they wouldn't read, just athought!!
tabetha
Old 06-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you forgot about the tax even tho a reminder drops through the post too, that will go down a treat in court lol
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Tangodeltasierra3
you forgot about the tax even tho a reminder drops through the post too, that will go down a treat in court lol
Yeah i know, although i came about a month ago and thought id do it nearer the time. First time ive ever forgot to tax a car on time to be honest, and its purely because i dont use it much at all and never thought.

Just my luck though that the first time i take it out for ages, is the first time ive EVER forgot to tax a car, and then for me to drive past this dodgy thing while im at it!

Anyway, it seems that its nothing to worry about now so thanks all for posting and putting my mind at ease.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As you can tax your car on the last day of the month and date it from the first, as I have done on many occasions the likelyhood of any action against you is very little.
Cops know this as well, so generally won't take much notice until in it's second month, but there are exceptions, like the one who tried to fine me for digits 2mm too narrow, std font etc and everything.
tabetha
Old 06-06-2008, 06:55 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well i went past earlier on the way home and they have gone, but they've left the brackets on. I noticed brackets on the posts in a row. Must definatly be some sort of traffic survey having 3 in a row.