General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Nationwide Fuel Protest 22nd June

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

so how many of them are gonna fill up beforehand then?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by alan12112
Yes I agree but then you need people to start taking time off work and that wont happen!

Bank Holidays would be good though as quite alot of people work through them but most of us are off and therefore could protest!
Bank holidays would be good? Why so when we take a day off to take the little one somewhere nice, we cant cos its blocked?
Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM
nickscunny
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C4llyT
I'm happy with the cost of fuel, and drive a 3.0 petrol, so doesn't really affect me.
Good luck though.
thats a pretty selfish thing to say, some of us arent that rich......
Old 04-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

clever guy for posting it on here Cossies and RS's sat in traffic, wont take long to bring every thing to a stand still once they all start over heating

Im up for the one in Brum though
Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Southerners have dictionaries
Judging by the time that Pete posted Id say dictionaries have nothing to do with it, its the lager he will have been drinking.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:43 PM
andy888
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

sorry for the hi-jack but i got this on email which a think is a great idea. please read if you can be bothered!!

I’m going to have a bash at this no matter how inconvenient it is…..WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING….

As we are hitting 113.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 2.00 a litre someone has come up with this idea...

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference . If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso See what you think and if you can be bothered or agree with it just pass it on…

so shell V-POWER is ok!

worth a shot?
Old 04-06-2008, 08:45 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Old 04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Ima Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF?????

...DIDNT WE DO THIS BEFORE,PROTEST...PRICE WENT DOWN THEN WE SAT BACK AND LET IT GO BACK UP TO THIS LEVEL

If you cant afford the fuel get a fucking battery powered car...just be thankful we aint starving,in a war torn country,or France.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Blugg
Virgin

I'm out, it's still going ahead but without moi.

Seems to be 80% not worth it 20 % we'll go if it's not raining.

If one good thing has come off this, it's been knowledgable reading thru a few of the different topics in here. Good Luck ya'll
Old 04-06-2008, 10:07 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Blugg
I'm out, it's still going ahead but without moi.

Seems to be 80% not worth it 20 % we'll go if it's not raining.

If one good thing has come off this, it's been knowledgable reading thru a few of the different topics in here. Good Luck ya'll
for gods sake!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Cozziekid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rs500 Registrar
This is exactly the kind of reply that has got this country in the shit that it is

How can showing you are pissed be a waist of time , sitting on your arse doing fuck all other than moan is a fucking complete waist of time
As said, we tried this before and it got lowered a little and its slowly crept back up again..... so what do you think is gonna happen this time IF anything?

Heres a copy of a reply from the prime ministers office in response to a petition to reduce fuel prices to below 90p per litre in line with EU prices..

The Government recognises that retail fuel prices have risen in recent months, as a reflection of the underlying price of crude oil. The retail price of fuel at the pump is ultimately a matter for retailers and their suppliers, and taxation is just one of a range of factors which determine the price paid by the consumer.
The role of fuel duty as a component of the retail price is kept under review by the Chancellor as part of the Budget process, as are all taxes. At Budget 2007 the Chancellor announced fuel duty rates for the next three years, in order to provide certainty for both industry and consumers, in an area which can see unexpected fluctuations from other elements. Changes in fuel duty rates have been announced through to 2009-10 and these rates were decided in line with the Government's commitment to both reduce polluting emissions, and to fund public services. They are expected to result in savings of 0.5 million tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) a year by 2010-11.
The United Kingdom, in common with all European Union (EU) Member States, also applies the standard rate of VAT to supplies of petrol and diesel fuel for road vehicles. VAT agreements that apply throughout the EU, signed by successive Governments, do not allow the United Kingdom to remove or reduce the VAT on petrol and other road fuel. However, at its current rate of 17.5 per cent, the United Kingdom has a lower standard rate than 23 out of 26 other EU countries.

At no point did i say i wasnt bothered about the price of fuel, of course i am, like any other person on here who spends a fortune on the stuff.

And for the record im not 'sitting on my arse', i WILL be taking part in this protest although i am sceptical of the impact it will have on the 'powers that be'.

That is all.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:10 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by nickscunny
thats a pretty selfish thing to say, some of us arent that rich......
Lol as if!
I put Ł61 (pay at pump cut out) in saturday morning, and Ł61 (pay at pump cut out) in monday morning, so if I was rich, I'm not now

Was only a few weeks ago the pounds and litres went round at same rate for super...

I wish we were more like the French, don't take the shit we do, good on them
Old 05-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Chris69

I'm very much up for doing this in a civilised way just to make a point as the prices are just getting silly and mr brown saying hes gonna add another 2p to duty just takes the biscuit really

Is there one organised in Bristol yet- doesn't look like it on the link posted??
Old 05-06-2008, 01:34 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Do people on the dole need cheaper fuel when they've no cars?
Arrogant twat
Old 05-06-2008, 01:35 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by collierm
Arrogant twat
Jealous twat
Old 05-06-2008, 01:56 PM
alan12112
Focus St mk2 310 bhp :D

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Bank holidays would be good? Why so when we take a day off to take the little one somewhere nice, we cant cos its blocked?
No for the reason you quoted!