General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Makes you proud to be british.....

Search this Thread

Old 16-05-2008, 02:40 PM
chasm
Hotcows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Absolute bollocks, my uncle signed up at 14 to go and fight the germans after lieing about his age, he didnt have to go at all in fact it was illegal for him to go, but he chose to do so anyway!
My granddad did the same thing at 14 years of age. He signed up and went to war after lying about his age too. His brother died at the beach of Dunkirk and my granddad had his trousers blown off!

He was sunk twice during the retreat/retrieval and had just laid his clothes out to dry on the second ship when it was hit badly and sunk before he had a chance to retrieve them. His biggest gripe about that was the fact he had a favourite pen that he lost at the same time.

The worst thing about the war for him from MY perspective is that everything and every right he fought for, we have either sold or given away.

The other thing that bugs me is that when he was older, he suffered multiple strokes and with every stroke his short term memory died and his long term memory increased. He would have nightmares about the wars and what he went through.. In the end 90% blind and deaf from the strokes, he starved himself to death by continuously pulling his IV feed out, as he considered himself a burden to his family and country. He served in India and underwent horrific conditions. The man was a true legend and if others think I am half of the man he was when I die, I would be proud.

He was also involved if I remember correctly in the missile testing off of the Isle of Wight.

+
Old 16-05-2008, 02:42 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
IMHO (no disrepsect to SBD16v) servicemen today are NOT motivated by the same drive, nearly everyone I know who is in the army their main motivations include all the selfish things like good training and good pay and a great pension
Yet another ill informed chip statement.... how are the armed forces well paid for the work they do? I think you will find that in 90% of cases cilvillian packages work out a lot better, and you don't get shot at/have to move hundreds of miles away/ spend months away on detachments etc.... how can you call that selfish??

I await the normal 3 page reply on why you are right ..

Back on topic, hats off to all our servicemen over the years, they all fought for what we have today ( which seems to be forgotten more and more )
Old 16-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Can't wait to see a video of the fly-by, amazing engine sound from them Merlin engines.
Old 16-05-2008, 03:01 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
how are the armed forces well paid for the work they do? I think you will find that in 90% of cases cilvillian packages work out a lot better
Just to add to that, after reading the "who earns £1000 a week" topic I totally agree with the above statement.

*edit: Andreas, there's a vid on the first link.
Old 16-05-2008, 03:09 PM
sebspring
Winker

Originally Posted by rs shawn
Matt, I'd still go with a lot of people not knowing what's going on. Obviously you do know but feel you will be in the minority based on the British population unfortunately.

sebspring: why are you embarrased to be English mate?

because from the outsiders view we are a fukin walk over. spineless. gutless.

our goverment has successfully managed to fuck this country in my opinion.
Old 16-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Shawn, thanks for mentioning the video. You reckon this will be shown on BBC World News as that the only british channel ive got access to?
Btw, here is an old clip from their practice.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3ohMEZ-d3I

Last edited by Andreas; 16-05-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 16-05-2008, 03:22 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

sebspring, that is true - but the embarrassment is the govt's not yours. You should be proud of what you've achieved and not what others have f**ked up on our behalf.

andreas, I'm sure it will get a mention on there as news is news when it's on a channel24/7, even as a filler. Plus it's a big event in British history.
Old 16-05-2008, 03:38 PM
McGoo 69
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

carnt beleive the old girl is still flying!

very brave men
Old 16-05-2008, 03:43 PM
sebspring
Winker

there was a mock 'dog fight' last year over shrewsbury with a spitifre and a hurricane i think it was.

the noise was absolutly brilliant.

makes the hairs stand up on your neck!! THATS when i feel proud to be british. only time i do.
Old 16-05-2008, 03:44 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

I don't think they will ever stop it flying, even if it needed major work it would get done and back in the air eventually as a mark of respect to the people who served during their time, same with the Spitfires and Hurricanes of BBMF.

*added: sebspring: you should see them practising the display when they are flying directly at/ toward you a few hundred feet up, the sounds from the Merlin and Griffon engines are stunning and must have been very frightening during the war with them coming your way

Last edited by rs shawn; 16-05-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 16-05-2008, 03:46 PM
sebspring
Winker

Originally Posted by rs shawn
sebspring, that is true - but the embarrassment is the govt's not yours. You should be proud of what you've achieved and not what others have f**ked up on our behalf.

trouble is tho mate. while these PRICKS scum fukwits go out and rob our pensioners and mug them, beat them up, rob their houses, break their bones make them so scared they don't leave their houses.

i am sat here embarrased that they did what they did and we re-pay them by allowing our society to go to shit so quickly...IN their lifetime.

how much of a reward is that for how many died and all the ones that survived to witness what is now happening

fuking terrible
Old 16-05-2008, 03:47 PM
fish99

The politics behind wars dont really bother me.... but I say this, whoever puts on a British uniform and is prepared to get shot at will have my respect for life.

I think our service men and women should get pay in comparrison to what they actually do... I was watching that ross kemp documentary on Afghanistan and it showed a squaddie who is on the front line opening his pay slip...jesus christ what he earnt he would have been better off being on the dole. But the thing that made me proud was that he wasnt.. he was willing to put lay down his life for whatever beliefs he had for joining the army and fighting.

If I had my way whoever goes to war for this country should have the right to live here free of charge and be entitled to a decent pension... I come across so many ex veterans who live in poverty and im ashamed this is the way the gov treat them.

Just on another note my uncle was a rear gunner on the lancaster and he would love these photos....in fact i have just used one as my desktop piccy
Old 16-05-2008, 03:53 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

It is terrible mate, I totally agree - but think they would also tell you not to be embarrassed as that is not your fault. The govt need to take account for what they do and unfortunately it doesn't seem to be happening. They leave, take a big pay cheque then move on and mess something else up.
Old 16-05-2008, 03:55 PM
sebspring
Winker

Metpol what you just said is absolutly fukin bang on mate. i feel exactly the same. i have 3/4 friends who fight in iraq and afghan, and they KEEP going back fro more! gettin paid shite. i take my hat off to them. they can't even bring themselves to talk about some of the shit they see!

sorry but i am gonna have to leave this thread now. i am startin the get proper fiked off sat here, i have started thinkin about some of the things i have said. makes me want to go out on a vigil anti CUNT battering session.

c ya later.

nice one for postin them pics up people

btw people. put the UKTV HIstory channel on if u have a tv next to you during the day. learn some interesting shit on there and learn some history about us and wars etc. fucking a lot better than watching the mind dribble like jeremy kyle rubbing it in our faces how fucked up our country is

Last edited by sebspring; 16-05-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 16-05-2008, 04:14 PM
fish99

[quote=sebspring) Metpol what you just said is absolutly fukin bang on mate. i feel exactly the same. i have 3/4 friends who fight in iraq and afghan, and they KEEP going back fro more! gettin paid shite. i take my hat off to them. they can't even bring themselves to talk about some of the shit they see!

Cheers mate....I have never been in the military and that is one of the things I have regretted for a long time. Im not a war monger or anything like that, my Uncle tells me of stories when he was in Korea and I think, fook that for a game of soldiers. Getting shelled, shot at and almost being frozen to death isnt my idea of a fun weekend. My family know the meaning of war as do many many others... my great grand parents were Chinese and were beheaded in front of their children by the japs. That was the reason for my grandad to come over to England to fight in the war.

8 years ago I was in a dilema... I had the an interview for the Police and the suitability tests for the Royal Marines on the same day..unfortunately I saw the £ signs and went for Old bill...biggest mistake ever. Some of the mate who were on my team as PC's have recenty resigned and now back in the Army in Afghanistan (fingers crossed they are safe and well)

I feel very strongly about the way this gov treats service people... why dont they stop spending money on shite and give the boys and gals the gear they need to do the job...I remember reading in the paper about parents buying their kids who went to iraq body armour.. I dont know if that was true or not but I mean (WTF)...

Last edited by fish99; 16-05-2008 at 04:19 PM.