General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Makes you proud to be british.....

Search this Thread

Old 16-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Makes you proud to be british.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7404052.stm

Proper lads they were
Old 16-05-2008, 08:55 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LEGENDS
Old 16-05-2008, 09:01 AM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hear,hear.
Old 16-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Real Men!
Old 16-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

We lived around the corner from where Barnes Wallis lived when I was a nipper.

The film was quality. Especially about how low they could go
Old 16-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

my mum has an awesome photo blown up of my grandad and the dambusters crew and ground crew, with a lanc in the background
Old 16-05-2008, 10:39 AM
lardypants
Banned

wouldnt happen these days, the countrys not worth fighting for no more

but yes serious amount of big kahoongers there
Old 16-05-2008, 10:42 AM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to live near Reculver Castle on the Kent coast where they did the testing
Old 16-05-2008, 10:44 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

we have photographers there, cannot wait for the pic's, but they may take some time as the fookers in photography did not bother to check they could get a signal on there datacards.

Thick thick thick
Old 16-05-2008, 10:45 AM
series1rscars
PassionFord Regular

Respect
Old 16-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

I have always loved the Dambusters since a kid. love all the 617 sq etc. Guy Gibson's dog had an exotic name too

Peter Jackson is supposed to be doing a remake of The Dambusters. be nice to see an updated WW2 British battle film but still wont be better than the original for me.
Old 16-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Chrissy_bwoy
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Diamonds
Peter Jackson is supposed to be doing a remake of The Dambusters. be nice to see an updated WW2 British battle film but still wont be better than the original for me.
me neither, you cant beat the special effects when the bombs blow up at the damns
Old 16-05-2008, 11:14 AM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

watch a docmentry a few years ago about it and they took a load of top militry pilots and they really struggled to complete the missions. amazing the skills they had.

Originally Posted by lardypants
wouldnt happen these days, the countrys not worth fighting for no more

but yes serious amount of big kahoongers there

sorry i feel thats very unfair on all the service men and women that are currently out fighting war's, or out doing partrols around the world all 3 forces continualy work to keep this country in a state ready to fight.

its not there fault that the wars there sent to are normally nothing to do with this country, but i dont know ANY service men or women that would not fight for this country !!
Old 16-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by DanCossie
LEGENDS
Seconded!
Old 16-05-2008, 11:24 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Last edited by JohnnyB; 16-05-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 16-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Chip

My Great uncle was a paratrooper who dropped in at arnham (if you've seen the "a bridge too far film" it should be familiar, although might not be spelt like that) when you actually listen to him about what they went through, its pretty shocking, but when you hear how determined they then were (few of them that survived as about 80-90% of them died in that battle) to get back out again and have another go, its properly inspiring.
My other gerat uncle lied about his age to go and fight the germans when he was 14, and again, not a single regret, there were 3 brothers in all, and I dont think Im actually strong enough to lift all their medals if they put them all in one big pile, properly lads, motivated by a love of queen and country, and IMHO (no disrepsect to SBD16v) servicemen today are NOT motivated by the same drive, nearly everyone I know who is in the army their main motivations include all the selfish things like good training and good pay and a great pension, where as my great uncle's and grandad I dont think actually ended up with any money at all effectively for the wartime stuff and certainly werent motivated by it if they, they just wanted to protect the country they lived and they were more interested in paying to do so with their lives than in what they got out of it.
If the Navy stopped paying you Rob, and just made sure you had enough food and drink and shelter to survive would you still want to be in it, cause those lads DID and its that which is the difference, you defend our country cause you are paid to do so, they did it cause they wanted it more than anything else and no amount of money or other job could have stopped them doing it.
Old 16-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Munch
Mr. Sparkle!

Originally Posted by JohnnyB

ts been removed Johnny
Old 16-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Jim Green
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Respect...........Such a shame that alot of the kids today don't even know what "Respect" means. Two year I represented the Merchant Navy at the local Poppy Day..........thirty feet from where the wreaths were being laid was four yobs on there bikes swearing their heads off and generally pissing around during the ceremony.
Old 16-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Jim Green
Respect...........Such a shame that alot of the kids today don't even know what "Respect" means. Two year I represented the Merchant Navy at the local Poppy Day..........thirty feet from where the wreaths were being laid was four yobs on there bikes swearing their heads off and generally pissing around during the ceremony.

Good job my uncle bill wasnt there, he would have gone over and bopped them on the nose, sadly although he is 86 and got a pacemaker, he still thinks he's some rough and tough paratrooper and/or that kids will treat their elders with respect, Im always terrified that he is going to be out walking the dog and come across a group of youths doing something wrong cause he WOULD go and try and stop them, and of course the reality is that the little cunts would just stab him or all kick him to death as he obviously cant really defend himself against 4 18 year old lads anymore
Old 16-05-2008, 11:36 AM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
If the Navy stopped paying you Rob, and just made sure you had enough food and drink and shelter to survive would you still want to be in it, cause those lads DID and its that which is the difference, you defend our country cause you are paid to do so, they did it cause they wanted it more than anything else and no amount of money or other job could have stopped them doing it.

if we went to war and had to defend this country i dont think that money would be a part of it in all honesty

you miss out one vital thing that they HAD to go to war they did not have a choice it was either parra OR army ETC. durring world war one and 2 it was not a choice.

pay, pensions etc etc is all a good bonus.

but when your under the sea water watching other contrys movments without speaking to familey and freinds for 3 months money dont play much of a part.

and that is the EXACT reason the forces are all strugling to cope with recruitment and keeping ppl in, because the pros dont outweigh the cons.

if they did the navy would not be 20% sort on personel
Old 16-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Jim Green
PassionFord Post Troll

Totally Agree..........many times I've felt like going across to some yobs and telling them to show a little respect, but you never know what they might be carrying now adays.

Totally agree with the new police laws for stop and search. But that's another subject.

Great to see the old boys getting respect for what they did. Just a shame that todays younger society seem to have forgot how we became "Great Britain", thanks to the old boys.
Old 16-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Nash_mr2
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Daaaaaaaaa Daaaaaaa Daaaaaa Daaa da da da Daaaaaaa

sing along
Old 16-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Jim Green
PassionFord Post Troll

I did 18 years in the Navy, which included doing the Falklands War.....errrr..Conflict, and the Gulf War, but that all seems forgotten too.
Old 16-05-2008, 12:20 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.

Amazing picture Johnny!!

I'm assuming that is the very dam that got bombed?
Old 16-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by sbd16v
you miss out one vital thing that they HAD to go to war they did not have a choice it was either parra OR army ETC. durring world war one and 2 it was not a choice.
Absolute bollocks, my uncle signed up at 14 to go and fight the germans after lieing about his age, he didnt have to go at all in fact it was illegal for him to go, but he chose to do so anyway!
Old 16-05-2008, 12:33 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyCabrio
Amazing picture Johnny!!

I'm assuming that is the very dam that got bombed?
no, that got bombed and is not there anymore

that is ladybower reservoir in derbyshire where the bombs were originally tested according to the linked website

agree on it being a cool picture though

that was one thing that i wanted to do when living in germany, go and visit the site of the dambusters raid, but i never managed it (like also going to the valley of the Neader river - the neandertal - and seeing where the body was dug up)

Last edited by foreigneRS; 16-05-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 16-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
no, that got bombed and is not there anymore

Old 16-05-2008, 12:44 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

was a bit of a daft question wasn't it? i guess he could have meant it's replacement, but where's the piss take in that?
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

full respect, true brits
Dre.1983
PassionFord Regular

Thats a brilliant picture. Would love to have gone to see this.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/di...entPK=20643654

Note the soft bastard that has commented at the bottom. Thank fuck he wasnt in charge of the country back then.
Old 16-05-2008, 01:03 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i'm sure i've seen the film
it's about how they had to line up the lights on the water first, thenon the dam and then drop the bomb right so that it bounced correctly?

my grandad was in the first world war and, contrary to chip's reasoning that they were doing it for their contry, my granda did it because he was getting paid

ok, so it's the other side of the world and it's a total different enviroment and he was indian, but it's still different

he also lied about his age, but seeing as no one really knew when they were born other than "it was raining" or "it was the harvest" he might have been old enough to join up

but let's not get into an arguement about if it's worth fighting for this country or not, lets remember the old boys who did brave things they might have been killed doing
Old 16-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i am extremely proud to be able to say that according to my folks i'm distantly (not sure how distantly though!) related to Barnes Wallis!

couldn't agree more about kids today needing to learn some respect as well. i reckon if we had to go to war like WW2 again, half the country would have it away on their toes these days!!!
Old 16-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

BIG RESPECT!

Just a shame they fought for this country and look how its turning out...

Cool plane, Sounds awesome too

Old 16-05-2008, 01:55 PM
northerner
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Its amazing how many people nowdays give our war veterans and current armed forces personnel short shrift.

Irrespective of anyones politics, these people should be respected by all UK nationals, the people that they help protect. It should be a crime to abuse our service people (past & present). A stint in boot camp should be fitting punishment...
Old 16-05-2008, 02:01 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
and IMHO (no disrepsect to SBD16v) servicemen today are NOT motivated by the same drive - they (my great uncle's and grandad) just wanted to protect the country they lived in.
Problem now is that we aren't being invaded as the country was back in mid 1910's and 1940's. Everyone was involved in those wars in some way. Nowadays the main threat is overseas and most people in the UK don't have a clue or bothered as it's not on their doorstep as such. Guarantee it would be different if a country stared marching toward the tunnel....

Back on topic:
The only down-side to these commemorations is that each year there are less and less members of the actual event who took part. There are very few people left from WW1 and many of the generations today do not appreciate or know/ understand what happened at those times and simply aren't bothered to give Rememberance.

Big respect to all those during WW1 & WW2 inc the aircrew (and groundcrew) from 617 Sqn on this special day.
Old 16-05-2008, 02:22 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well it took our guys 35 min drive just to find a useable 3g signal

so we had to use PA

who were late as they could not get a signal
Old 16-05-2008, 02:29 PM
sebspring
Winker

i wish i had been born in the 1920's

then i could have been part of all that.

i would have been able to feel and say,whilst holding my head up, I AM PROUD TO BE ENGLISH.... without feeling somewhat embarrased.
Old 16-05-2008, 02:32 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt, I'd still go with a lot of people not knowing what's going on. Obviously you do know but feel you will be in the minority based on the British population unfortunately.

sebspring: why are you embarrased to be English mate?

Last edited by rs shawn; 16-05-2008 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Makes you proud to be british.....