General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What are the old Landy Discoverys like? and LPG V8 or diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 28-04-2008, 03:05 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What are the old Landy Discoverys like? and LPG V8 or diesel?

Looking for a new cheap decent hack, that will be a good tower as well. what are the old J/K/L reg discoverys like? Looking at a 200Tdi, what are they like on fuel, and do they break much?

Also looking at LPG converted landys or range rovers, what would work out cheaper you recon fuel wise?
Old 28-04-2008, 06:07 AM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LPG is cheaper to run.....my Audi A4 estate is LPG and its superb.

You get slightly less MPG...only 2 or 3 BUT it is 1 third the price of diesel/petrol
Old 28-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

200 Tdis are pretty strong engines, cheap to run, easy to work on and agricultural to listen to

The later 300 Tdis are better in the disco though imo, 8 more valves. The even later TD5s are nothing but fecking trouble unfortunately, they love a cracked head

You'll get roughly 20mpg from a V8 and 25 from a diesel Disco. The V8s in Discos the age you're looking at are fairly good engines too and obviously sound better than the oil burners.

If you buy a Discovery you'll find yourself constantly making excuses for the little things that don't work, like the central locking, electric windows etc. None of them are expensive to fix EXCEPT the twin sunroofs which leak and can set you back around £500 if you get them done properly. Nothing a bit of silicone sealant won't fix though for £4

The Landies the age you're looking at suffer from rot so get them on a ramp and look underneath. Surface rust will likely happen in every door shut but at the age you're looking at, it's what you'll have to expet of any car!

Avoid the 4.6 range rover, the 4.0s are better.

Rangies are a better drive on the road imo, normally have more goodies but are not as practical to run. I have a P38 derv which gets 22mpg if I'm lucky but then it only gets used for a bit of towing and for long journeys as it's like sitting in an arm chair and there's TVs/DVDs and all that bollocks in it . The air suspension [EAS] is a constant problem and can be very expensive to fix. I got over this by converting to springs though, it drives MUCH better and cost to me was £500 installed. It could cost 4 times that if the EAS requires 4 new bags, ECU, valve block etc.

Problems on them are generally electrical nuisances like the window switch pack. The Harmon Kardon amplifier is also a waste of time, the speakers are ok but bypass the amp asap. It's a surprisingly labour intensive job though!

The Range Rover Classics [pre P38] are more or less bomb proof but they're just old buckets of shit now so will always have some niggles!

As an idea of price, I have a minty Disco V8 ES [model with full leather] at the moment, 75k miles, A/C etc. in dark met grey on an N, has the tow pack. It's £2799 and ripe for an LPG conversion. The last 200 Tdi I had was a month or so back and came in p/ex on a TD5, it was a 3 door J plate and I got £1700 for it. You could get a V8 Rangie Classic for under a grand and a decent P38 would start at £4k. A nice diesel with TVs in it [] would set you back around £6.5k.

The best of the bunch for pure nostalgia though are the Defenders.

They all hold their money well around the age you're looking at and compared to other vehicles of the age are really not as bad as you'd expect reliability wise. I have a strange affinity with them though so I'm a bit biased But I'm under no illusions that they're shit!
Old 28-04-2008, 07:14 AM
taycoss
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engines arent to bad on the landies but rear floors are a bitch for corroding on them,infact the whole things are rot boxes in my oppinion.We service around 30 of them that get inspections every 3 months and they always need parts but the usual bushes are dirt cheep.If i was to have to have one it would be the v8 rangie
Old 28-04-2008, 11:52 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

so a V8 with a good LPG conversion wouldn't be too bad to run?? going off 20Mpg as paddy quoted, so 15 say on gas, then 30MPG is approx right for doubling the price of LPG? As LPG seems to be around 55-60p at the moment.
Old 28-04-2008, 02:38 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

anyone else?
Old 28-04-2008, 06:13 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gear boxes are shite on the disco too just like every other rover gearbox

2nd gear the favourite
Old 28-04-2008, 06:28 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Rover V8 is a very popular engine to convert, there must be thousands of them out there running on single point LPG kits but in fairness those kits are dirt cheap to buy so don't be fooled into buying a already converted vehicle if that is what is fitted.

The later Discos (coilpack engine) do suffer from ignition issues on LPG, I can think of a few times we have had them back with a random misfire and its been coilpacks (which I might add can be a coont to change) I usually fit new coilpacks, leads and plugs if they come in with this fault as it guarantees you won't have any further ignition faults.

Generally from what I have seen they are good cars, lovely to convert and obviously DO take the abuse well unlike some other alleged off roaders out there .