General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Wizard Of Nos Works His Magic On a Racing Puma.. Nitrous Install

Search this Thread

Old 28-04-2008, 06:37 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Just took these photos now. Maybe the system needs multipoint injection. jet in each inlet, instead of single.

But trev wen u look at the graph , maybe I shud have run it 2 times, as it could have been purge in the system. why it dips at the top end.

Last edited by m_nettleship; 28-04-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 28-04-2008, 06:50 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Noswizard
Bigchez,

The best time to use nitrous on a turbo is to eliminate turbo lag and achieve a quicker spool up time, however nitrous is beneficial at any time the waste gate is not fully open.
Adding nitrous can cause the turbo to "briefly" over boost, because the boost rise rate is quicker than the wastegate can activate but it is only a "briefly" and is normally not a problem.
Cheers for the reply pal!

I only have a t34.63 so its not a monster blower, and will make positive pressure (albeit not a lot!) by 2.5k revs, and boosts hard from 3.5k - so what you are saying is that it would spool quicker with nos, and I'd see most benefit fitting it to activate between 2k and 3.5-4k when it sees full boost anyway?

Once the turbo is at full boost would the nos continue or phase out as the turbo is doing the work anyway?

If I (well, you or someone that knows what they are doing! ) fitted a 50hp shot would it add 50hp throughout the rev range, or would it be 50 before boost and more once the turbo is on song?

Sorry for all the questions, I know very little about it, but do fancy some throttle in a bottle
Old 28-04-2008, 08:06 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Yes the pipe goes to the bottom, and to the same edge of the bottle as the outlet on the tap faces.
So you need the outlet pipe facing down (like here)
makes sense then
Old 28-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigchez
Cheers for the reply pal!

I only have a t34.63 so its not a monster blower, and will make positive pressure (albeit not a lot!) by 2.5k revs, and boosts hard from 3.5k - so what you are saying is that it would spool quicker with nos, and I'd see most benefit fitting it to activate between 2k and 3.5-4k when it sees full boost anyway?

Once the turbo is at full boost would the nos continue or phase out as the turbo is doing the work anyway?

If I (well, you or someone that knows what they are doing! ) fitted a 50hp shot would it add 50hp throughout the rev range, or would it be 50 before boost and more once the turbo is on song?

Sorry for all the questions, I know very little about it, but do fancy some throttle in a bottle

Theoretically 50bhp is 50bhp and you should get approx that through the rev range, in reality though your engine will be more effecient at some points than others, on boost is normally where you get the biggest gains as you see a useful drop in intake temperature.
BEST thing though about nitrous on a turbo car is the spool up times, my T34 on my YB, when im on the gas (125bhp shot progressive with 40bhp start value) spools more quickly than a small turbo escos!
Old 28-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Noswizard
Virgin

Hi James, thanks for the welcome

Hi Gav, pleased to hear you're happy with your system performance.
What do you mean by "how you are getting on with it"?
If you mean the new Street Max Extreme, then the answer is that it's now available to anyone who wants one, although we are struggling to keep up with demand, so you may have to wait a few days for one to be despatched to you.

Hi MN, that looks fine and although DP could improve the results, I'd be looking at spark strength first and if possible making sure the exhaust system isn't restrictive.

I'd also check/replace the nitrous filter, because a dirty filter could restrict the flow.
Something else that could certainly explain it is if your nitrous supply pipe is restrictive. It's a bit hard to tell from the pics but can you tell me if that pipe is the same diameter or bigger than the red/blue pipes?
If it's the same size, then that is your problem, because it can only flow 70 hp when used in a long length. If it's bigger than the red/blue pipe then I'd suggest you get a 2mm drill bit and see if it can be inserted in both end of the nitrous supply pipe easily, if not then open the necked section inside the olive section to approx 2.5mm and this should solve it.

What jet numbers do you have in the system?

What settings did you use for the dyno run, in particular what build up time you had it set to and can you also tell me how long the dyno run lasted for the nitrous run ONLY.

It's unlikely that the power was down due to it being the first run but it would have been handy to have a 2nd run to compare it with.

Bigchez, yes that's about the size of it and we can offer 2 ways of reducing the power as boost rises above a preset level;
1) the simplest and cheapest (but least capable) is to use a boost pressure cut off switch, to shut off the nitrous system once the boost reaches a given level.
2) Using a Max Extreme it's possible to taper off the nitrous delivery to match the rising level of boost.
Without one of these options you'd have to back off the throttle as and when it suits you to shut down the nitrous system.

With a basic nitrous kit you'd have a 50 hp increase whenever the system was activated, however with a Max Extrme you could have it rising or falling to suit your own requirements.

Last edited by Noswizard; 28-04-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 28-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

You being on here is going to save me loads of typing Trev, maybe I can actually learn something about nitrous on here for once

Oh, by the way, on here = "crying with laughter" just in case you say something funny and someone replies with that smiley and you think you have upset them.
Old 28-04-2008, 08:48 PM
El Dude
Virgin

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
You being on here is going to save me loads of typing Trev, maybe I can actually learn something about nitrous on here for once
Trevs posts are always an interesting read...

trev ... have you posted up... Nitrous vs Trad. tuning ?

Chris
Old 28-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Noswizard
Hi everyone,

Madrod,

How are things going, will you be making another attempt in the near future?
What's this about members here considering nitrous as cheating, in what way can it be considered cheating?
If it's because the bottle has to be refilled, then on that basis petrol itself should be considered cheating, because ANY statement levelled at nitrous also applies to that.
Unless someone manages to make an engine run on air alone, all internal combustion engines are going to rely on a fuel source that needs replenishing, so why is it a problem to have the oxygen source stored/supplied in the same manner.

I feel sorry for people who have to resort to that argument, as an excuse for being UNABLE to match the performance potential of nitrous and have to settle for LOWER performance, because they are missing out on so much.
One of the main reasons for such narrow minded attitudes is ignorance of how nitrous works and what it can do, which is a sad indictment of peoples reluctance to learn, because ALL the knowledge required is available on our forum.

I look forward to reading and responding to any post from anyone, who feels they can "justify" such a narrow minded, ill informed opinion.

Trev
Welcome to the site it needs a positive Nitrous input on here .

Yes will be back soon, retired from work last year & have had a bit of a rest from this caper. The new engine is going on the Dyno soon the last one made 769bhp & this one wont be less so around 780 I guess. This will be topped up with my 200 shot 'pushed' system so should be around the magic 1000bhp . Chip is a good spokesman for your company on here & he has helped me a lot. Have not yet used the 'push' system on a Topspeed run but in testing 170-180mph in 1.9 secs was achieved which is rather mind bending .
Old 28-04-2008, 10:05 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

hi dave
Old 28-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Noswizard
Virgin

Hi Chip, glad to ease your burden especially after all the assistance you've provided me.

Hi Rod, that's good news and I look forward to hearing more as you progress.

Chris, just for you here's the link to the thread;

http://forum.nitrous-advice.org/view...php?f=6&t=3621
Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
sl1mboyf4t
Virgin

Originally Posted by RickyLee53
My mate's got the same kit on his racing puma, randomly he's also painted the writing on the tyres white as well.

Must be something the hairdressers do
lol i also no this person, and his went bang!