General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Know anything about wiring in Seat Leon ???

Search this Thread

Old 26-04-2008, 08:58 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Know anything about wiring in Seat Leon ???

I bought my sis in law a parrot bluetooth thing and thought installing it would be a doddle, and yet it seems determined to want to stay in its box

Got an ISO lead adapter, tought it would be plug and play from there, but would you believe there's no ignition switched live on the radio loom at all !!!

I have a feeling there's a CAN bus of some sort to tell the radio to switch itself on with ignition.

Anyway, I guess I should be able to get this 12V ignition switched from the key barrel / cigarette lighter / fuse box

Any past experience/suggestions/etc... It's a 2007 model.
Old 26-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll be can bus mate

Check the fag lighter first as that'll be the easiest place- failing that remove the drivers side lower half of the dash and there are usually some distribution blocks which look like big fuck off bolts in a row with vairous numbers and colours. Yellow 30a should do you.

I'm out of it now so never took one apart- but steer clear of the barrell its not worth the hassle and their are easier locations.

Jake
Old 26-04-2008, 09:24 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by Shings
It'll be can bus mate

Check the fag lighter first as that'll be the easiest place- failing that remove the drivers side lower half of the dash and there are usually some distribution blocks which look like big fuck off bolts in a row with vairous numbers and colours. Yellow 30a should do you.

I'm out of it now so never took one apart- but steer clear of the barrell its not worth the hassle and their are easier locations.

Jake
What a pain this can bus stuff is, at least they could have run a switched wire to the connectors, even if it's unused !!!
Read somewhere else to look for a switched feed around the fuse box on drivers' side, sounds similar to what you're suggesting.

Thought about the fag lighter, but getting to it looks like a bit of a mission, least running a cable to it.

I'd rather avoid taking the whole car apart if possible
Old 26-04-2008, 09:46 PM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

I have a blaupunkt rome nav 55e,and parrot handsfree in my 57 reg transporter. I had to pick up a switched ignition live from the fan switch. HTH.
Old 26-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Very strange you've found this problem - I've just tried to wire in a stereo into an 02 Seat Ibiza for a friend and found exactly the same thing.

Temporarily wired the ignition live into the main live for the time being until I could find a cure. Let me know where you sort your ign feed from mate!

Old 26-04-2008, 10:53 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by Lee_R21Turbo
Very strange you've found this problem - I've just tried to wire in a stereo into an 02 Seat Ibiza for a friend and found exactly the same thing.

Temporarily wired the ignition live into the main live for the time being until I could find a cure. Let me know where you sort your ign feed from mate!

Can't believe how hard this is turning out to be, has to be the first time I don't get switched ignition at the stereo plug and I've done a few in my time...
Been hunting for some info on various vw forums and not found much other than cigarette lighter.

I don't have the car's manual to hand (or the car) so can't look into it any more until sis in law pops round again
Old 26-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well I used to fit the fucking things for a living... and trackers and telematics...

Can Bus sucks ass... as do all the other bollocks wiring on new cars....
Old 26-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by frog
Can't believe how hard this is turning out to be, has to be the first time I don't get switched ignition at the stereo plug and I've done a few in my time...
Been hunting for some info on various vw forums and not found much other than cigarette lighter.

I don't have the car's manual to hand (or the car) so can't look into it any more until sis in law pops round again

Right, this is a safe one but hard and fiddly to do- I haven't taken apart a new Leon so not sure if it will be there.

If the fuse box is in the end of the dash you can take it out with a few torx screws and take the back off it- its a fiddle to get through but it will come ok.

The wire you want is a thickish red and yellow wire ( any one should do- but if you're selective you should find one which doesn't go to a fuse), probe it with your test light and make sure its switched- remember you need to pull the key out of the ignition on newer VAG cars.

Alternatively the ditribution blocks I mentioned earlier are the safest bets

JAke
Old 27-04-2008, 11:44 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Thanks Jake, much appreciated