General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Who knows the law on number plates in UK?

Search this Thread

Old 15-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fil
stu your cars crying out for some german fonted plates

Maybe so, but the police in the Blackpool are are a set of cumslurpers - I whenever I went over in my old Cossie, used to get no end of aggro from the cuntstabulary of the area for my plates

Never had an issue anywhere else mind
Old 15-04-2008, 09:39 AM
aurallis
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the coppa reads passionford and read that u dont mind losing custimers so thought ure doing well enuf to pay some fines too lol
Old 15-04-2008, 09:42 AM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We've recently had new guidelines about plates, if its straight forward dodgy like Stu's then it's a £30 fine and a letter is sent to DVLC. Get two letters sent to DVLC and they take the plate from you, no appeal.

IF the plate is so dodgy that it cannot be read by our in car computers then its a £30 fine and the plate is taken from you straight away, again no appeal.

Stu's does not seem so bad so it wouldn't bother me, but hey, it's not legal.

All I would add is that whilst it does seema waste of time, if your plates are so bad they cannot be read by our comps and the various ones around the motor way net work, if your car gets knicked then it won't ping an alert.
Old 15-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What makes it illegal? As you can get those letters from halfords, where it is then e marked etc?
Old 15-04-2008, 10:00 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the e-mark / bs number only has to be on the plate if its on a car 2001 or newer Rick. Be interesting to see what is illegal on them considering the car is a 2000 model.

Chris
Old 15-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The E mark BS no. etc. applies to plates made & fitted after the changes to the law, except maybe for show plates, but then show plates aren't legal for road use...
Old 15-04-2008, 11:57 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

How was the copper beig a cunt for giving a warning when he could have given a fine?

I'm normally the first to bitch and moan about them, but come on people...
Old 15-04-2008, 12:14 PM
749steve

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well yesterday morning i went to my sierra that is parked on the road over night. it had a ticket on the screen for the plates having a ford badge instead of a euro badge
the plates were on the car when i bought it and its been thorugh a mot fine
but the copper decided that my car needed a fine at one o'clock in the morning
it was parked between other cars so he must of stoped to look round it on purpose to find fault as the plates could not be seen by just driving past
Old 15-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by arch
All I would add is that whilst it does seema waste of time, if your plates are so bad they cannot be read by our comps and the various ones around the motor way net work, if your car gets knicked then it won't ping an alert.
Seems a valid point, well worth considering
Old 15-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

We;ew trying to figure out what is illeagal about it.... I've had plates made like that by halfords, other than the writing underneath which you can have if the plate was made earlier. I can't see it standing up in court.
Old 15-04-2008, 12:23 PM
arch

It's the style of the letters mate, they should be a solid black font. The characters should not have any kind of reflection on them.
Old 15-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Arch,

In that case, if i went to a number plate supplier, such as halfords or a motor factors - it would be them would be having to take responsibility, as they put the BS on it...
Old 15-04-2008, 01:28 PM
arch

Erm,
No dude, it's the same as if you go and get window tints. The suppliers will say they are legal, but trust me, most of the time they are not. Buck stops with you fella.
Old 15-04-2008, 01:59 PM
richzs

Clear as mud, DVLA website says.....

Are 3D characters allowed?

Registration numbers and letters must be black and non - reflectable. 3D characters are allowed provided the number plate complies with the British Standard specification (BS AU 145d).
Old 15-04-2008, 03:15 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So doesnt that mean they are allowed?!
Old 15-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Jim Green
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's amazing that something as simple as a number plate can end up being so confusing.
Old 15-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Hence my point, Halfords numberplates are british standard approved, so they must be legal. But it seems the Police don't understand this
Old 15-04-2008, 07:22 PM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by richzs
Clear as mud, DVLA website says.....

Are 3D characters allowed?

Registration numbers and letters must be black and non - reflectable. 3D characters are allowed provided the number plate complies with the British Standard specification (BS AU 145d).
i'd print that off the dvla website and keep it in the glovebox

if a copper gets arsey i'd ask him which part of BS AU 145d I was breaking

and i'd leave the plates as they were
Old 15-04-2008, 07:33 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

so, as we have discussed before, the police are a bunch of cunts...... do some real work and catch some REAL criminals, or are they a bit too dangerous?
Old 15-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN
I think the copper was just being a dogsack, hardly offensive are they.
Precisely - fucking jobsworth yet the twat who's font is italics and altered to read 'I'm a Cunt' drives round for years without so much as a sniff of the Law.

I fucking hate jobsworth coppers, I really do. Your plate Stu is perfectly legible and looks the right size. The letters aren't all the same black...wooo.....call the Police, major fucking news event I've run 3d lettering on my Focus and Fiesta before that for years and my bro in law is a traffic copper and he commented one day, saying there is fuck all wrong with them. Couldn't care if there is, they're the right size and came from fucking Halfords !

Last edited by Mr S1; 15-04-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 15-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambchop
i HATE badly spaced plates trying to read something they really aren't! however i reckon you've been harshly done as at least the plates look "normal"!!!
i agree. That and numbers/letters altered slightly to make them look like another number/letter and the black screw caps strategicaly placed to alter letters/numbers LMAO pikey twats buy a proper private plate or take the thing off!

Harsh pull that one Stu!
Old 15-04-2008, 09:14 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

STOP DVLA selling private plates that mean something!!!

NOT cos its a money spinner for them and the gov!! the Poor police have their hands tied by rules regs and figures.Bet these guys get fed up with the petty pullovers and rather be fighting some real crime.

I had four fences punched down by youths yesterday did they get caught or a fine not bloody likely.

Stu,were you get plates made up with your logo on em i want some

Paul
Old 15-04-2008, 09:18 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by costina

Stu,were you get plates made up with your logo on em i want some

Paul
I made em mate!!!

Chris
Old 16-04-2008, 07:16 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

up for Arch's comments.
Old 16-04-2008, 09:03 AM
arch

Sorry I'm late, Wolves Albion game last night so got in late.

Further requirements for registration plates
11.—(1) No reflex-reflecting material may be applied to any part of a registration plate and
the plate must not be treated in such a way that the characters of the registration mark become,
or are caused to act as, retroreflective characters.
(2) A registration plate must not be treated in any other way which renders the characters
of the registration mark less easily distinguishable to the eye or which would prevent or impair
the making of a true photographic image of the plate through the medium of camera and film
or any other device.
(3) A registration plate must not be fixed to a vehicle—
(a) by means of a screw, bolt or other fixing device of any type or colour,
(b) by the placing of a screw, bolt or other fixing device in any position, or
(c) in any other manner,
which has the effect of changing the appearance or legibility of any of the characters of the
registration mark, which renders the characters of the registration mark less easily
distinguishable to the eye or which prevents or impairs the making of a true photographic image
of the plate through the medium of camera and film or any other device.
(4) Section 59(2)(a) of the Act (regulations the contravention of which attracts a level 3 fine)
applies to paragraphs (1), (2) and (3) of this regulation.

Except in a case to which paragraph (1) applies, each of the characters of the registration
mark must either be in the prescribed font or in a style which is substantially similar to the
prescribed font so that the character is easily distinguishable and in particular, but without
prejudice to the generality of those requirements, characters must not be formed in any way

described in paragraph (4) or in a manner which is similar to any of those ways.

Taken from the Road vehicles reg 2001.

Like I said first off, Stu's plate would not bother me so I would not pull him over.

Stu himself said that a photo he took if his plates made them appear washed out.

Last edited by arch; 16-04-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 16-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Well, im a tad unsure what to do now.

The car is a 2000 plate.

The letters are spaced legally and of legal size.

The number plates are stuck on with stickers, i hate screws, so now way there are any dodgy screws making letters look like anything else. Like 2 black screws would easily make M12 Look like MR

The flash washout can be seen in post one as thats the one i posted. The flash can wash anything out though so im not sure if thats representative of anything or not?

Should i have some made so they show my postcode as well, would that help do we think? Although we dont actually make plates in house, we have chris make them for us.

Or should i just get some plain black letters done instead, end of.

As for the "Anti Police" comments, keep them to yourselves please, a lot of my mates are in the force and i dont appreceiate them at all. They are just doing a job, and whilst i appreciate that all professions have their bad apples, this isnt the place to discuss them.
Old 16-04-2008, 09:34 AM
arch

Stu, it is a 2000 car, but not a 2000 plate

Seems to me like a lot of aggro just for a number plate mate. Just put it back to 'normal' and aggro goes away. OR leave it as it is and risk being stopped again.
Old 16-04-2008, 11:14 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've just had confirmation from my supplier who work directly with the DVLA and they have confirmed that the plates are 100% legal. 3D fonts are LEGAL (obviously if they are the correct size) and also the Highline font is now LEGAL. They have also said that they will pursue any matters directly with the Police if anyone gets pulled and fined for having 3D. If the car was on a 51 plate or newer (which it isnt) then it must show the supplier details and the BS number. There was a case a short while ago where a Bedfordshire copper tugged another car with 3D plates and it turned out the driver was part of the Herts Police force. Fined him but the chap took it to court, went to DVLA who said they are perfectly legal, and it got thrown out. Since then, a letter went to all surrounding Counties advising that they are legal. Perhaps Lancs Police are not aware.

Stu - I am receiving a letter from them confirming what I have said etc so will forward it to you. It is my local agent who acts for the supplier in situations like this so if you do get stopped then we can deal with it.

Chris

Last edited by cfoster; 16-04-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 16-04-2008, 11:40 AM
arch

Chris,
Reading your comment, it would seem that the DVLA are quite certain what is and is not legal. Sadly, I am in work this evening so will try and do a bit of digging.

a lot of my mates are in the force and i dont appreceiate them at all
Well, made me chuckle Stu.
Old 16-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks Chris, i look forward to recieving it mate.

Arch,
DOH... dont you just hate words?
Old 16-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Stu, When I came to you're wedding, I got me a £30 fine for black plates on my Mini
Old 16-04-2008, 01:56 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Stu,Imo you should go to normal lettering just to save the hassle,you would'nt want to give yourself a bad rep over something so minor

Would be nice for Arch to find out what he can for us all to keep on the right side

Paul
Old 16-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Chris Honeywell

Just change the plates and be done with it
no more hassle
Old 16-04-2008, 03:28 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by arch
Chris,
Reading your comment, it would seem that the DVLA are quite certain what is and is not legal. Sadly, I am in work this evening so will try and do a bit of digging.

Well, made me chuckle Stu.
Ok mate cool, will be interesting to see what you find. I can always pm you my supplier details and a contact name for verification if needbe?

Chris
Old 16-04-2008, 04:09 PM
cossymad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

100% legal plates CAN be 3d, carbon, hi-line or plain black.
You can have a border
You may not have a message on the bottom
The plate must have the issuing dealers name or details at the bottom, with usually postcode or phone number.
GB plates are allowed
as are flags from the following:
Scotland
Wales
St. George
Union Jack
Old 16-04-2008, 04:16 PM
cossymad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stu unless you are a registered plate supplier, you cannot have your company on the bottom, unless you apply to the dvla for a 'licence' wooo £40, all plates you supply to your customers, wether or not you made them should have your details on the bottom.
Also to be compliant the plates need to have the BS AU 145d marking on them.
We are always getting people pulled for the carbon plates (letters) we tell them they are fine, go tell BiB to politly p**s off
Old 16-04-2008, 05:28 PM
arch

Ok gents, I am in the office (don't tell anyone). Have dug out the legislation we have on plates. It is the same as I posted up above. Characters have to be substantialy similar to normal solid black ones, so I reckon it would have to come down to what substantialy similar really is in the eyes if the law.

Most the lads in the office reckon the plates are legal, but I cannot find the legislation to say so, but neither can I find anything relating to 3D. Office chaps reckon that there has been a recent amendment about plates, but we cannot find it.

So there we have it, I have been as usual no help what so ever.

And we also agree that none of us would have stopped Stu anyway in the first place.
Old 16-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Thanks for the info Arch
Old 16-04-2008, 05:58 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Excellent news Arch thanks for almost confirming that . Looks like the copper that tugged Stu didnt get laid the night before and had the ump!!!!

Cossymad - the postcode and BS bit only applies to cars registered from 51 plate or on doesn't it?

Quick Reply: Who knows the law on number plates in UK?