General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Time Attack is a JOKE

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Cossiemaster
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Time Attack is a JOKE

Below is a link to a forum of some guy with a skyline who intends taking part in the time attack competition.

If he is allowed to run it makes the time attack rules very selective and a complete joke, based on the fact Andrew Gallacher last year got booted out because he had used some tube framing to strengthen his chassis, keeping in mind the original dimensions and alot of the cars floor was put back to as close to original as possible.

A tube chassis in my mind is tubes connecting front to rear just like the skyline in question, Andrew's car used original sills as the chassis using tube to strengthen them, if floor and sills were removed there would be no car.

Skyline boy claims he has had approval on all mods from time attack, as stated his thread.

We all know Time Attack booted Andrew last year because he was capable of doing 54.5 sec when skyline boy was managing a lovely 58.8 lap, i cant wait to see if they let him run this year when they find out of his 51.4 lap achievement.

If the skyline runs they cant possibly stop Andrew.(no winning points for the english lol)

OR CAN THEY.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/95...ttack-car.html

Regards

Cossiemaster

Last edited by Cossiemaster; 09-04-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:51 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

says link invalid?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:57 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Worked for me im proper pissed off reading this rules for some & not for others
Old 09-04-2008, 08:57 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

??
Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Here is the relevant rules, make of them what you will.

Cracks me up tho that everyone seems to think its a conspiracy JUST to stop Andy G competing as he will destory everyone as A)- I doubt he will, and B)- No reason they would do that, esp as 99% of the people wont even have heard of the car.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

taken from the site....
Vehicles must retain the original chassis/body and if the chassis/body is to be altered in any way the alterations must be submitted for pre-approval to the Time Attack technical.
Has been and it's ok

No tube frame vehicles or tube frame chassis extensions are permissible unless part of the OEM structure as defined in points.
It's not a chassis tube frame, all OEM structure points standard

Space frame chassis of any description are not permitted, additional triangulation and bracing of suspension turret/mounting points is allowed.
It's not a space frame but it has got traingulations & bracing to mounting points.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Jamz
Advanced PassionFord User

Andy G's blatantly broke the rules, not sure about that Skyline.

Last edited by Jamz; 09-04-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

AG has completly removed his inner wings and front chassis rails and replaced them with a tube frame.

Against the rules... simple.

That skyline seems to have all its chassis rails, sills, suspension mounts held together by the original monocoque shell.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:16 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

STAVROS
no4
no5 above
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Cossiemaster

Originally Posted by Jamz
Andy G's blatantly broke the rules, not sure about that Skyline.
He blatantly broke the rules? I think you'l find he built a car to suit him self but didn't seem to suit Time Attack very much.

Shame really as then it may have been worth watching.

Cossiemaster
Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Vehicles must retain the original chassis/body and if the chassis/body is to be altered in any way the alterations must be submitted for pre-approval to the Time Attack technical.
Has been and it's ok

No tube frame vehicles or tube frame chassis extensions are permissible unless part of the OEM structure as defined in points.
It's not a chassis tube frame, all OEM structure points standard

Space frame chassis of any description are not permitted, additional triangulation and bracing of suspension turret/mounting points is allowed.
It's not a space frame but it has got traingulations & bracing to mounting points
So where's the floor then LOL

Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 PM
dumped

Looking at the pics the sill is still there but chassis rail? is it not more inboard and hence missing as its now a tube floor. And notice how much tube in the floor.......

Andy's car was unfortunately against the rules last year simple. This one is a little more cunning.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

CARLO

couldnt give a shit about TA really so dont need to post anything toward me, whinge all you like, i just put up the rules to give some substance to the argument.

PS, i heard 9/11 was planned to try and disrupt the truth coming out that Andy G's car is the fastest thing in the world ever and that it complies with all rules ever, even the rules to scrabble and monopoly.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 PM
BadAss Focus
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by Garage19
AG has completly removed his inner wings and front chassis rails and replaced them with a tube frame.

Against the rules... simple.

That skyline seems to have all its chassis rails, sills, suspension mounts held together by the original monocoque shell.
sills? you can see throu them? chassis rails they seem to be replaced with tube?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

WTF is Andy G, and why do so many on a ford forum care about this particular heavily modified Skyline?

Genuine question

JJ
Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 PM
rigwrecker

Originally Posted by Stavros
CARLO

couldnt give a shit about TA really so dont need to post anything toward me, whinge all you like, i just put up the rules to give some substance to the argument.

PS, i heard 9/11 was planned to try and disrupt the truth coming out that Andy G's car is the fastest thing in the world ever and that it complies with all rules ever, even the rules to scrabble and monopoly.
lol near spat my tea out
Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

you put up the rules fair enough i was just pointing out they contradict themselfs a bit if that skyline gets approval..& that other shit you posted lay off the drink or drugs

Last edited by carlo; 09-04-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75
WTF is Andy G, and why do so many on a ford forum care about this particular heavily modified Skyline?

Genuine question

JJ
Because andy got kicked out of time attack for having tube chassis & now this one has got approval
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Cossiemaster

Originally Posted by Stavros
CARLO

How about picking on someone your own size.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by carlo
Because andy got kicked out of time attack for having tube chassis & now this one has got approval
I see. Strikes me that both cars should have been outlawed, but I am basing this on the photos only obviously!

Not to mention that I know fuck all about this sort of thing to be fair.

JJ
Old 09-04-2008, 10:12 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Question is though, in the big scheme of things will Andy be all that bothred? I doubt it.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:24 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Its just the point really
Old 09-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
Its just the point really
Old 09-04-2008, 11:03 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Its not TECHNICALLY a space frame, where as AGs was in some areas.

As stated rather cunning about its approach and borderline from being banned id imagine but skimmed through. Fair play, making the most of the rules imo.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

That skyline has been very cleverly built to the EXACT letter of the rules.
So it meets them, thats what happens in motorsport.

What the fuck are people complaining about?

It has the required original pickup points for the suspension etc, andyg's car doesnt, so its legal and his isnt, it really is THAT simple.

No conspiracy involved, they didnt bring the rules out after andyg made his car, im sure they would quite like to see fords at the event as they bring in a lot of punters, the reality is though they published the rules in plenty of time, and andy made an active decision NOT to conform to them with building his car, and this fella made the opposite decision, result is that one is legal and one isnt?

What is the complaint?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Chip

As part of my language studies degree ive been learning to speak "mad ranting scottish" so Im going to practive by converting some of it to english for those interested:

Originally Posted by Cossiemaster
Below is a link to a forum of some guy with a skyline who intends taking part in the time attack competition.

If he is allowed to run it makes the time attack rules very selective and a complete joke, based on the fact Andrew Gallacher last year got booted out because he had used some tube framing to strengthen his chassis, keeping in mind the original dimensions and alot of the cars floor was put back to as close to original as possible.
Translation, Andy didnt obey the rules of the series with regards to suspension pickup points.

A tube chassis in my mind is tubes connecting front to rear just like the skyline in question, Andrew's car used original sills as the chassis using tube to strengthen them, if floor and sills were removed there would be no car.
Translation, some bloke babbling on about things that arent relevant to the rules

Skyline boy claims he has had approval on all mods from time attack, as stated his thread.
Translation: guy building time attack car, checks with time attack his car is legal, which is a pretty fucking sensible thing to do in motorsport

We all know Time Attack booted Andrew last year because he was capable of doing 54.5 sec when skyline boy was managing a lovely 58.8 lap, i cant wait to see if they let him run this year when they find out of his 51.4 lap achievement.
Translation: Andy would have been banned if his time was 4.67 years, because his car didnt meet the rules, this year his car doesnt meet the rules again so will be banned again wether it does a lap in 3 seconds or 59 lifetimes.

If the skyline runs they cant possibly stop Andrew.(no winning points for the english lol)
Translation: Waaa waaa waaa, throws toys, boo hoo hoo

OR CAN THEY.
Translation: Of course they HAVE to (not can HAVE to) becauce it breaks the rules blatantly.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:24 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i can't see the pics, or even the link, but one thong does seem pretty clear to me

the rules state that you need to keep the orignal bits of the car that are strutural
so the inner wings and stuff need to be kept original
the floor of the car has been deemed to not be required (or whatever he's chopped about) and so it's ok

if you build a car, then decided to entre events because it's a good motor then don't be surprised if the car doesn't meet the rules and they don't let you play
Old 10-04-2008, 07:47 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see the Andy G arse licking brigade are up in arms again. Funny how Andy never seems to post, or whinge or moan about it, isnt it
Old 10-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Renton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Take all that tubing off the floor and the car would not hold itself together on the road in my opinion. So the way I see it is that tube flooring is INSTEAD of original chassis sections and not 'in addition to' as the rules state...
Old 10-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Renton
Take all that tubing off the floor and the car would not hold itself together on the road in my opinion. So the way I see it is that tube flooring is INSTEAD of original chassis sections and not 'in addition to' as the rules state...
The rules dont say that if you cut all the bars back out the chassis has to have a specific amount of strength anywhere than I can see?
They just say if you are adding tubes and/or cutting out chassis sections those alterations need to be submitted for approval and he has done so.

He has read the rules very carefully, come up with a design that he felt should "just" pass them, and has checked as he went along with the organisers that his assumptions are correct, what more can anyone do in any form of motorsport than that?

Building a car to regulations is ALL about the letter of the rules and NOT their intent, surely you realise that?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:51 AM
BadAss Focus

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
That skyline has been very cleverly built to the EXACT letter of the rules.
So it meets them, thats what happens in motorsport.

What the fuck are people complaining about?

It has the required original pickup points for the suspension etc, andyg's car doesnt, so its legal and his isnt, it really is THAT simple.

No conspiracy involved, they didnt bring the rules out after andyg made his car, im sure they would quite like to see fords at the event as they bring in a lot of punters, the reality is though they published the rules in plenty of time, and andy made an active decision NOT to conform to them with building his car, and this fella made the opposite decision, result is that one is legal and one isnt?

What is the complaint?

its hardly still a monocoque shell when if you removed his tubing the car would fall apart, so you can't say its triangulation and bracing
Old 10-04-2008, 09:55 AM
BadAss Focus

The rules dont say that if you cut all the bars back out the chassis has to have a specific amount of strength anywhere than I can see?
They just say if you are adding tubes and/or cutting out chassis sections those alterations need to be submitted for approval and he has done so.

He has read the rules very carefully, come up with a design that he felt should "just" pass them, and has checked as he went along with the organisers that his assumptions are correct, what more can anyone do in any form of motorsport than that?

Building a car to regulations is ALL about the letter of the rules and NOT their intent, surely you realise that?

and it clearly has TUBE FRAME CHASSIS EXTENSIONS cause the chassis has been cut and exteneded front to rear with tube!!
Old 10-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by BadAss Focus
its hardly still a monocoque shell when if you removed his tubing the car would fall apart, so you can't say its triangulation and bracing
The rules dont say that if you remove all the bracing, the car would still stay in one piece, and if they did say that, how the fuck are they going to test it, cut all the bars out and make him do a lap at full race speed?

Seriously, you guys clearly know very little about the difference between the letter of the rules, and the intent of the rules for a motor racing series!

All your points are based on what you interpret the rules as being intended to mean, NOT what they actually say!

I agree that this car is exactly the sort of thing that the rules are trying to exclude, in order to stop people having to engage in this sort of expense in order to be competitive, but the rules have FAILED to do so as this car does pass them, so its legal, it really is that simple!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:03 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

as chip is saying, there is often a big difference between complying with the spirit of the rules and the letter of the rules and the best competitors will always design to the absolute limits of the letter of the rules
Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Chip

Happens ALL the time in motorsport.

Even basic stuff like there are rules in many entry level forms of motorsport saying that conrods must be original items and unmachined, the intent of this is to stop people spending hundreds on having them balanced, the reality though is that instead of spending hundreds having a set machined and balanced, instead people potentially need to spend even more, to buy loads and loads of "standard" rods so they can weigh and catalogue every single one and then pick the optimum 4 from the 80 they have bought, which means it gets even more expensive to build your engine, not cheaper like the rules intended.

Same in F1, they brought in rules to say you have to use the same engine for 2 races, intended to cut down on expenditure on engines and make it cheaper for the low budget teams, the reality is that now the front teams actually undergo far more testing on their engine as they have to dyno prove it for 2 entire races back to back on their simulators where its put through every single throttle movement that it will see for the whole 2 races, and that means having far more attempts at it than before, so puts cost up.

It happens all the time, rules are brought in to bring costs down, but the reality is that getting round those rules to still achieve what you need to win then costs far more than it did before the rules existed.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:14 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
as chip is saying, there is often a big difference between complying with the spirit of the rules and the letter of the rules and the best competitors will always design to the absolute limits of the letter of the rules
Exactly, quit moaning everyone
Old 10-04-2008, 10:16 AM
BadAss Focus

The rules dont say that if you remove all the bracing, the car would still stay in one piece, and if they did say that, how the fuck are they going to test it, cut all the bars out and make him do a lap at full race speed?

not monocoque shell then is it?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by BadAss Focus

not monocoque shell then is it?

Its a monocoque shell that has been modified YES, and there is NOTHING in the rules that says you arent allowed to modify the monocoque shell, it just says that if you do then you must retain suspension mounting points (which he has) and you must submit alterations for approval (which he has) which bit of all this is confusing you, as its extremely fucking simple IMHO?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:30 AM
BadAss Focus

Talking

Its a monocoque shell that has been modified YES, and there is NOTHING in the rules that says you arent allowed to modify the monocoque shell, it just says that if you do then you must retain suspension mounting points (which he has) and you must submit alterations for approval (which he has) which bit of all this is confusing you, as its extremely fucking simple IMHO?
he's turned it into a frame with spacing!!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:34 AM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

this is more interesting than ta its self!!

Quick Reply: Time Attack is a JOKE