General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

crashes you've never gotten over

Search this Thread

Old 25-03-2008, 04:04 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default crashes you've never gotten over

not in the physical sense, i mean emotinally

the ones where you think "if only i'd not been going so fast/so close/driving ilke a twat" etc?

for me it was when i wrapped my saph round the armco on a country lane after my mate said "go on then, show us what it'll do"

i'd just sorted out a set of rims for it and was going to bolt on a set of 330's the next morning and then smashed it up at 1.06 the night before

to say my old man wasn't impressed was an understatement, and this was before the days of having a mobile phone as well so it was a long ass walk to find a phone box too
Old 25-03-2008, 04:08 PM
chink
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mates has got an m3 convertible and he said to his mate watch this il get it sideways around the roundabout, think you can imagine what happened next through a metal fence etc, both of them was ok few grands worth of damage, and his mate the passenger said wow can we do that again
Old 25-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Through no fault of my own I hit a fookin deer in my everyday car, was only about 1.5 miles from home so managed to limp the car home, but have always been over cautious of driving down the same road now!

It's notorious for the bastards jumping out into the road! It doesn't help that the road is through a thick country forest (where the sunseeker rally goes!) and the road is REALLY undulating (sp) so you can't see fook all over the crest of each hump/hill!

Nightmare! Used to tear down there in Cossie's etc at over 100mph too! Thank fuck I was 'only' doing 60mph when I clattered the coont!
Old 25-03-2008, 04:09 PM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

my first nice ford..
had a lovely black 2i 16v..
slid on gravel and went through a wall down in devon, the walls made of big rocks..
that put a damper on my holiday, 2am and 140 miles from home..

to say i was gutted would possibly be the biggest understatement i can think of.

write off.
Old 25-03-2008, 04:09 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I always find you get a "warning" before you crash, and when you get it you should go home, put the car away and do somthing else ... Of the 2 crashes I have had, both have been due to me being a dick, not involved anyone else, just done a bit of damage to my own car. But both times I had a "Moment" a bit earlier, and now if anything like that happens the messing around stops ..

Worst thing about the crash in my 2wd cossie was that I knew about 6 seconds before I crashed that I was going to crash, as I realized I was a corner ahead of myself, and insted of the gentle right I thought I was approaching, it was infact a 90° right hander... Not nice on the limiter in 4th
Old 25-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Mr Orange
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Stuck my 1st car into a crash barrier after thinking i could take the wet corner at 40.
One broke gearbox and scraped front and rear bumpers,and broken front wing mount later the car got eventually fixed.

gearbox was a funny one. could get 5th and neutral. nothing else! car got a new one but has never been the same since
Old 25-03-2008, 04:14 PM
chink

ive been in two crashes none of my fault, first in a mini doing a mini run in the dales, came over a hump back bridge to a 90 degree right which was gravel, we slid and hit the only telegraph there hit my side of the car passenger window went into my face door and roof bent it hurt.

over was a few in 2004 i had my corsa just put my new engine in and luckily was transfered over on log book so i got paided out but a drunk driver hit me head on wrote my corsa off back wheel was 20ft down road and i hit 2 parked cars happened year to the day my grandma died spooky
Old 25-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Well any crash Id have sooner avoided, but on the other hand, they could easily have been worse, so im quite happy with how things went, luckily not had many!
Old 25-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by chink
ive been in two crashes none of my fault, first in a mini doing a mini run in the dales, came over a hump back bridge to a 90 degree right which was gravel, we slid and hit the only telegraph there hit my side of the car passenger window went into my face door and roof bent it hurt.
How the hell is it not your fault that you crashed your car by going too quick over a hump back bridge you couldnt see over?
Old 25-03-2008, 04:21 PM
chink

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
How the hell is it not your fault that you crashed your car by going too quick over a hump back bridge you couldnt see over?
sorry mate i was the passenger
Old 25-03-2008, 05:06 PM
dojj

my mates has got an m3 convertible and he said to his mate watch this il get it sideways around the roundabout, think you can imagine what happened next through a metal fence etc, both of them was ok few grands worth of damage, and his mate the passenger said wow can we do that again
that wins the "funniest post i've read today" award

spookily enough, that thing abut senseing when it's all about to go a bit pete tong happened to me the day i put the nose of the 3 door under a lorry as well

i knew i should have slowed down
Old 25-03-2008, 05:50 PM
chink

Originally Posted by dojj
that wins the "funniest post i've read today" award

spookily enough, that thing abut senseing when it's all about to go a bit pete tong happened to me the day i put the nose of the 3 door under a lorry as well

i knew i should have slowed down
i think it was shock that made him say that
Old 25-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Chip

sorry mate i was the passenger
Makes more sense now, lol
Old 25-03-2008, 06:04 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Mate wrote off his saph when he was on his way to sell it.
After numerous antics on a dark and wet country road it was getting a bit silly and me and my mate (in the back) were telling him to calm down, stop driving like a tit ( I have a cossie so I know what it can/can't do) but he just didnt listen.....
So after attempting to take a near 90degree bend in the wet at close to a ton resulted in him clipping the inside kerb or stone at the the side of the road. Needless to say what resulted was a bit sketchy. Went up and embankment, through 14 fence posts, car rolled 3 times, bounced on its roof at the passenger side where I was sitting, and came to a stop in a field. Needess to say i had trouble getting out......
Afetr that I am a very bad passenger at speed, i don't mind it if i am driving but i feel i cannot trust other drivers aswell as I used to.
Old 25-03-2008, 06:34 PM
dojj

i was doing about 110 knowing there was a corner ocming, but seeing as there were no street lights i only saw the glint of the armco when i was about 40 yards away
stamping on the brakes it went round the corner, but then the slippery conditions saw the back end go into the armco
then the front end bounced in
then we went flying towards the trees
and ended up in a ditch with the bottom of the car slowly filling with water
i started it up and went to put it into reverse but it just span the wheels up so i got out to survey the damage

it didn't look too bad but just up the road i spotted soemthing in the armco

thinking it was just a bit of bumper i had a look and it turned out that it was the front wheel, the suspensino, the driveshaft and the steering arm embded into the metal
a bit further along the rear wheel was also in the adjoining bit of armco

that would explain why i wasn't going anywhere

walked up to the phonebox (limped up really as i'd fucked my left knee good and proper) to call the aa to recover me
when the guy plled the car out of the ditch, one side, the drivers side, was mint, the other side though, was fucked, well and truely bent to buggery
while we were waiting for the recovery trcuk my mate pointed to the finger makrs on the dash just above the cubby hole and said he was counting the trees as they went past, we eventually stopped with a branch poking through the passenger window

i had some pics but i can't find them since the house move, but once we'd opened the doors they wouldn't close again, and as i was removing the strut braces you could actually hear the chassis scretching as it was twisting back into place

i am happy to say i've never been such a twat on the road ever since
Old 25-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one that sticks in my head is the crash i was nearly in, i was in the car 15 minutes before it went through a stone wall, me and a few mates were going for a drive, one lad was in his car on his own, so i jumped in with him as there was 3 of us in the other car, then as said, 15 mins later this happened,

very lucky escape for me, as i was in the back seat and never wore a seatbelt in the back, so even though i wasnt in the car, it makes me think, what if.......
Old 25-03-2008, 07:22 PM
lozi
My Cossie Ate My Money

heres mine

this crash was the thing that finaly made me realise that i wasnt a rally driver and it can go wrong in a split second!

i was doing over 100 when i lost control, never try it on with a lotus elise down a backroad in a fiesta.

i was really lucky i went between 2 trees before i ended up in the field, if i had a hit 1 of the trees i would probably not have survived.
Old 25-03-2008, 10:33 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

had a bust up with a bird i was seeing and my dad was being a cunt via text at the same time, so i got in the car and took my anger out on it. lost it going through a big traffic calming chicane at about 60-65, fishtailed up the road, twatted onto the curb and then slid sideways down the middle of the road to a hault in the middle of the road at a T junction. sooooo lucky there were no cars at that second otherwise id have had the book thrown at me. total cuntish driving.
Old 25-03-2008, 10:46 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Years ago now.. I jumped into my Capri, saw the mini behind me, looked in the rear view mirror (and cos it was so small I didn't see it - in that split second I just forgot it was there... ) whacked said crappy into reverse to move out of the space I was in........ nuff said....
Old 25-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

trying to go sideways down an alley... tw@
Old 25-03-2008, 11:20 PM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Smacked the armco on the M74 doing 105-115 due to my pissed up mate in the passenger seat, hit it square on the pass side front corner and pushed the engine etc over to my side before spinning round onto the rear quarter and scraping backwards for a fair bit. I had massive bruising but we were both very lucky as neither of us had seatbelts on, young and stupid (18)
Old 25-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Dave_YD
Regular Contributor

well i have only had one crash and it was my own fault, it was a honda civic and i had just spent a week putting an Type R engine in...i was loving it then 4 weeks later i lost the back end on a greasy corner and smashed into a lamp post...i really was gutted just after all the work aswell
Old 26-03-2008, 09:13 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

My most regretful incident was:

Girlfriend's car, on the way to MoT it to sell it (we'd just had our first kid, so it was surplus to requirements). I was third party only, got a bit giddy and overtook a little earlier than I should.
Car pulled out of a side road into my path, I swerved, lost it and rolled.

Banned for 12 months plus had to take extended retest, lost the car as not insured, had to sell my beloved car to pay her back, cost me a fortune in solicitor, court fine, and buses/taxis for the next year.

One moment's madness that I'll never forget, nor forgive myself for.
Old 26-03-2008, 10:10 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will never forget the first night i spent with my missus....

....waking up in A&E with her due to her driving. My ear hanging off and she still liked me
Old 26-03-2008, 10:29 AM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
My most regretful incident was:

Girlfriend's car, on the way to MoT it to sell it (we'd just had our first kid, so it was surplus to requirements). I was third party only, got a bit giddy and overtook a little earlier than I should.
Car pulled out of a side road into my path, I swerved, lost it and rolled.

Banned for 12 months plus had to take extended retest, lost the car as not insured, had to sell my beloved car to pay her back, cost me a fortune in solicitor, court fine, and buses/taxis for the next year.

One moment's madness that I'll never forget, nor forgive myself for.

Old 26-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Kris_23

I did work experiance at a seat garage in my last year of school, But part of the forecourt was called parkstone motorsport with a few imports like scoobys and supra's, Got quite pally with a young salesman a was speaking to him about a white three door scooby they had was up for Ł12,000 on an L plate seven years ago so was a rare one apparently there was only three spec'd like it in the uk at the time 0-60 was 3.9.

Anyway someone put a deposit on it and the salemans asked me if i wanted to go with him to fill it up with fuel, Straped myself in the harnesses pulled out the garage and it was unbelievably quick still the fastest car ive been in to this day.

Went down a road that had cars parked along the road pulled in to let someone go and put his foot down come across a junction and a micra pulled out in front of us hit her side on spun three times and hit a lap post, stopped and looked round and the old lady in the micra was knocked out with blood pissing out of her head, i was fine got out and within five mins fire engine police etc had turned up.

The scooby was a write off, the bloke came to pick it up and hour later and almost cried when we told him!!

Gave me something to talk about when i got back to school!!!

Last edited by Kris_23; 26-03-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 26-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
trying to go sideways down an alley... tw@
C'mon Jim - we can do better than that
Old 26-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Luckily, and I know I will regret this, I've never had an accident whilst I was driving...
Old 27-03-2008, 12:29 AM
bbspolo

none as bad as that but i did go into the back of my mates 400bhp supra at 50-60 trying 2 show off in my 125bhp polo !
how he forgave me and dint kick my arse right there and then ill never know!
only part that makes me half smile is the fact i managed 2 drive my polo home with a few bent panels and the supra went home on the back off a truck! got 2 love german build quality!
Old 29-09-2008, 05:55 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fiddy, was your mates ok though?
Old 29-09-2008, 06:04 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Never had a bad one thankfully. Had a couple of small bumps, nudged the barrier at the ring trying to be a hero in the rain, and had a foreigner pull out on me at a junction. No harm done. Touch wood.
Old 29-09-2008, 06:13 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

yep. if only i hadnt raced that motorbike in the wet with a 300bhp cossie converted stripped out celica after spending 8 years and over Ł28000 on it
Old 29-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Benni
Luckily, and I know I will regret this, I've never had an accident whilst I was driving...
thought you crashed your last car ???

i had a accident few weeks ago mate gave me a p reg 318ti i was coming home with my little girl in the car and come round the corner and the arse end went on me after trying to not hit park cars the car span round and hit a x5 coming up the other way..

wrote my car off but the worse bit was having my little girl with me and seeing the marks from her seat belt on her neck from where i crashed and she went forward
Old 29-09-2008, 06:17 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

and here is me thinking i was the only driver that speeds and crashes...though not 100% my fault.

Old 29-09-2008, 06:21 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by dave cos4x4
and here is me thinking i was the only driver that speeds and crashes...though not 100% my fault.

i was doing bang on 40 officer and hit a wet/oily patch

even though he didnt believe me as i had done 3 complete spins whilst bouncing of the centre reservation
Old 29-09-2008, 06:25 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

gues mines in my sig, only ever crash which cost me big time
Old 29-09-2008, 06:27 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mate your dakar M3 looks fooked. Did it get repaired? what happened?
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one i never forget,

we were going shooting on some private land,
jumped in a rangerover headed across, then down a grass field,
we were going a little to fast, a when the driver hit the brakes we just slid out of control,
bottom of field a 20ft drop into the field below, and 1 tree, luckily he aimed us into the tree where we stopped, hit it at 35-40mph,

wasnt nice, wrote the rangerover off,

i was sat passenger side holding 50 shotgun cartridges
and we had 100s more in the back with the dogs

fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by rst in breaking
gues mines in my sig, only ever crash which cost me big time
and you never even crashed it.
Old 29-09-2008, 06:29 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

When i was 18 my mate came round to my house on his yamaha rd350 saying you coming a run.Me Aye mate no probs tracksuit bottoms on Light jacket & helmet.Off we go he started showing off doing over a ton on the slowdown overtaking 3 cars we hit a car head on.I was telling him to slow down but he didnt.
I broke my pelvis in two.Degloved my right hip,& ankle pulling them out the socket,broke my right leg, smashed my left elbow & broke my collar bone.
Had loads of internal injurys due to the ripping of my pelvis.Was in hospital for 9 month in total woke up 3 weeks later in the glasgow royal infirmary in traction never even sat up for over 3 n half months was a 50/50 chance of survival for just over 4 weeks.Had to learn to walk again ect.There was loads more.
That was the 19/03/1998 10 years ago & i turned 29 the other day been working for 5 years now.
I will never forget what happened to me or what my family went through being in suspense for all that time.
I will never trust anyone driving again & hate ppl showing off if ppl say slow down it means slow down.

Quick Reply: crashes you've never gotten over