General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

DSLR Camera peeps....Page 3 MORE HELP NEEDED!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DSLR Camera peeps....Page 3 MORE HELP NEEDED!!

I'm hoping soon to finally cough up for my DSLR and am fairly sure it will be a Nikon that I buy. I had pretty much settled on the Nikon D40x, but have just read one review where the guy said not to bother with the D40x and to save money and buy the older D40 instead as the improvements just weren't worth the money and that the D40 is actually overall a better camera.

However, I did see the newer D60 is not much more money (around £450 for a kit with 18-55 lens).

Anyone got anything to add to this?

Also, how quickly will I find the limitations of the 18-55 lens? Or will it do for now for not-too-demanding photography?

Last edited by Christian and Beccy; 30-03-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i have a canon 350 and it has an 18-55 mm lens which you can use for all sorts and is great. i also got a longer lens tho for motorsport and the like.

dont know much about nikons tho im afraid
Old 10-03-2008, 08:56 PM
carfixz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive read that the camera is really good but the 18-55 lens aint up to much
Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You at work this weekend Christian?

Will bring my 400D (Canon) over if you want to play.

18-55 lens and another. See what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adebarb...7604057390820/ are a few samples in reduced size

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrian.barber69/ NathR is 14 images of Nathan's FRS. Rename the jpg after download to either rar or zip and have a look.

These pics were not taken with a 18-55. They were taken with a Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens (recommended by Graceland )

When you decide go see these people http://www.warehouseexpress.com. Just up from SCA.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:53 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Get a canon
Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by AlexF
Get a canon
I did.

Mine was a choice between a Canon and Nikon. After a few conversations with people here (regional newspaper) I opted for Canon.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

cant beat canon In my opinion. And i work with the brand every day My DSLR is canon and i have the canon powershot G7 which is an excellent pocket camera.

Have only good things to say about them.
Old 22-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

So, it looks like the final choice is :-

Nikon D60 with 18-55 VR Lens £399 - http://www.digitalrev.com/en/product...0&item_id=2868

Or Canon EOS 400D with 18-55 Lens - £375 - http://www.digitalrev.com/en/product...p?item_id=1564

Now, the Nikon comes with a VR lens (Vibration Resistant?). Is this worthwhile? Also, am I better to buy the body and a different lens? I want it for general photography for now, including close-ups, but don't really want to buy 2 lenses yet.

The only real downside of the Canon is that it takes Compact Flash cards and I already have a 2GB Sandisk Extreme III card. I realise this is not a good basis for a decision, but that good would be good for a DSLR and was the reason I bought it when I needed to replace the card in my Compact.

Can anyone recommend a better package that those above for around £400?
Old 22-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would be foolish not to get the Canon.

I am most pleased with mine

With regards to the CF cards, I paid £20 each + postage for my 4 gig Sandisk Extreme IV cards (Bought 3) off of Ebay

Canon everytime for me
Old 22-03-2008, 08:33 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers for the link

ive just brought this kit

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/product...p?item_id=1962
Old 22-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have a Nikon D70, crackin bit of kit, came with kit lens and a 70-300 Nikon Lens SB 600 Flash Gun and Tripod, works a treat, got some really good pics on it.

Managed to get the whole lot 2nd hand but only 4 months old cost me £400
Old 22-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by MAD EVO 4
cheers for the link

AFPMSL. Why on earth can't I make a decision like that??!!
Old 22-03-2008, 08:38 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
AFPMSL. Why on earth can't I make a decision like that??!!
my dad has used his canon for a while with very good pics taken and he is no pro just enjoys taking pics
Old 22-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Canon for me, but nothing wrong with Nikon. They are the top 2.

Not relevant at all, but here are some pictures taken with my Canons. www.stewartsanderson.com
Old 22-03-2008, 08:54 PM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Canon EOS 400D for me, huge assortment of lenses. Cant beat it
Old 22-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Can someone give me an idea of what lenses are used for what?

I want to be able to take real close up photo's aswell as regular every-day pics. I'm interested in sceneries too. Infact, I can think of lots of things I'd like to photograph, so I guess I will be buying other lenses.

Also, I am keen to be able to take pictures of people both indoors and out in a way that shows them in their natural colour. With my compact, the flash makes them either look washed out or its too dark. Do I need a remote flash for this? or what?
Old 22-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by MAD EVO 4
cheers for the link

They are in Hong Kong!! I thought they were UK.

They have the Tamron AF 55-200mm lenses on Ebay for £50, but with £30 postage.
Old 22-03-2008, 09:06 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

oh i wonder if i can cancelmy order lol
Old 22-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Tamron are cracking good lens' for the money - I have a 70-300 F/4-5.6 and it is superb for a budget lens.

Next on the list, a 15mm prime, flashgun with slave control facility and a fisheye

Make sure you get some UV filters for your len's aswell - fit and forget kinda item really, not only does it protect your lens from scratches, it filters out UV light which can affect a photo's colour and quality

Last edited by Graceland; 22-03-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 22-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Graceland
Tamron are cracking good lens' for the money - I have a 70-300 F/4-5.6 and it is superb for a budget lens.

Next on the list, a 15mm prime, flashgun with slave control facility and a fisheye

Make sure you get some UV filters for your len's aswell - fit and forget kinda item really, not only does it protect your lens from scratches, it filters out UV light which can affect a photo's colour and quality
Cool, sounds like good advice, just need some more of the same now!!
Old 23-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

for the Easter bods......
Old 23-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The new Canon 450d comes with the 18-55IS lens I think, it'll be abit more than the prices you hinted at above tho. http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod636.html

55mm will make things look about life size through the view finder to give you a rough idea.
Old 23-03-2008, 12:16 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

if you fit just one filter, make it a polariser
Old 23-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Can someone give me an idea of what lenses are used for what?

I want to be able to take real close up photo's aswell as regular every-day pics. I'm interested in sceneries too. Infact, I can think of lots of things I'd like to photograph, so I guess I will be buying other lenses.

Also, I am keen to be able to take pictures of people both indoors and out in a way that shows them in their natural colour. With my compact, the flash makes them either look washed out or its too dark. Do I need a remote flash for this? or what?
I think what he is trying to say is he wants to be able to take 'nude' shots

Beccy.
Old 23-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

If you like the shots with a nice selective DOF then you would probably benefit from a decent fast lens then Ideally Beccy due to the low light encountered in most "natural" scenes.

Alternatively, he could fit the bedroo... erm, i mean studio out with flood lights and umbrellas, for that extra romantic feel.
Old 23-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon
Old 23-03-2008, 03:24 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Kev.H
canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon canon

So Kev would you recommend a Canon ??
Old 23-03-2008, 06:15 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Guys, you're doing one of two things well.
1- listening - you're doing
2- feeling - you're not !!!

Go to a shop and feel the difference between all the cameras yourself. I couldn't manage a 350D even if I loved its technical features and was recommended by 100% of my friends... it's too small for my hands. Bit late to find out after shelling money on the internet

As for information on lenses, VR, etc... check out my posts starting here: https://passionford.com/forum/pictures-video-and-photoshop-forum/176542-photography-101-lesson-one-cameras-and-lenses.html

you should find some useful info there (hopefully ).
Old 23-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
If you like the shots with a nice selective DOF then you would probably benefit from a decent fast lens then Ideally Beccy due to the low light encountered in most "natural" scenes.

Alternatively, he could fit the bedroo... erm, i mean studio out with flood lights and umbrellas, for that extra romantic feel.
Good idea Stu. Where can I buy such items??!!

Originally Posted by frog
Guys, you're doing one of two things well.
1- listening - you're doing
2- feeling - you're not !!!

Go to a shop and feel the difference between all the cameras yourself. I couldn't manage a 350D even if I loved its technical features and was recommended by 100% of my friends... it's too small for my hands. Bit late to find out after shelling money on the internet

As for information on lenses, VR, etc... check out my posts starting here: https://passionford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176542

you should find some useful info there (hopefully ).
I totally agree with you about seeing/feeling and hopefully even using these camera's before choosing. I do have to admit that I feel naturally drawn to the Nikon, not sure why, although I am feeling the fact that most people on here seem to recommend the Canon. I am hoping that seeing the camera's in real life will lead me to a decision.

Also, I will read through your info, I think the only reason I haven't so far is that I have seen so many useful posts by you and don't really know where to start!!

Thanks everyone else.
Old 23-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Christian, consider this lot

http://www.7dayshop.com/

Slightly cheaper than a lot of other sellers as they are based in the Channel Islands. (not used them myself)

Also as an aside the 400D is physically smaller than a lot of other DSLR's Not a major issue, but once you start putting sodding great lens on the front of it...

EDIT

Also have a look aw www.cameralabs.com review of the 400D

Last edited by Rich_w; 23-03-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 23-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Adrian
You at work this weekend Christian?

Will bring my 400D (Canon) over if you want to play.

18-55 lens and another. See what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adebarb...7604057390820/ are a few samples in reduced size

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adrian.barber69/ NathR is 14 images of Nathan's FRS. Rename the jpg after download to either rar or zip and have a look.

These pics were not taken with a 18-55. They were taken with a Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens (recommended by Graceland )

When you decide go see these people http://www.warehouseexpress.com. Just up from SCA.
Christian/Beccy

Way way back I put this.. Offer still stands

Or pop to warehouse express where you can look/feel/try the cameras.
Old 23-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nikon every time for me! Find them far more erogonomically well designed and you don't have to use their software when downloading images.

I've got a D2x and D80, and my girlfriend has a D40.... all provide great results, generally the more you pay the nicer the camera is to use with less being hidden in menus (and more specialst features added as well).

Megapixels don't really matter a toss til you're printing over 16"x12"

VR is a great option, useful for panning shots and when you need to hand hold in low light.
If you can afford to I'd go with the D60 over the D40.... it'll just be slightly nicer to use.
Old 23-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Adrian
Christian/Beccy

Way way back I put this.. Offer still stands

Or pop to warehouse express where you can look/feel/try the cameras.
Sorry I didn't acknowledge your offer, I meant to.

I am popping to Jessops tomorrow to get a real feel of these cameras.

Now, of course with these packages that are on offer, most include an 18-55 lens, though I am looking at one that has both an 18-55 and a 55-200. Is this a good idea? Or am I best to just get the 18-55 now and decide on a second lens later? These packages are between £500 and £550 with the 2 lenses, compared to £400-450 with just one.

Tesco is coming up trumps on the Canon, £359.97 with the 18-55 lens and it looks like you can still get £40 cashback with that too.
Old 23-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Just seen that you can buy the Tamron 55-200 lens for £70 on Ebay too, so maybe I should just leave that for now and add it when I'm ready?
Old 23-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Sorry I didn't acknowledge your offer, I meant to.

I am popping to Jessops tomorrow to get a real feel of these cameras.

Now, of course with these packages that are on offer, most include an 18-55 lens, though I am looking at one that has both an 18-55 and a 55-200. Is this a good idea? Or am I best to just get the 18-55 now and decide on a second lens later? These packages are between £500 and £550 with the 2 lenses, compared to £400-450 with just one.

Tesco is coming up trumps on the Canon, £359.97 with the 18-55 lens and it looks like you can still get £40 cashback with that too.

the 18-55 is the kit lens and isnt actually very good (compared to other cheapo lens')

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon400D/page7.shtml

Watch the video at this link.
Old 23-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Even the 18-55VR that comes with the D60?

So do I get the body only and chose my own lens? If so, which would be a good versatile lens?
Old 23-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Sorry, I meant on the 400D
Old 23-03-2008, 09:29 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

C&B.

Peek here. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/Home/default.aspx

I got my Pentax and Tamron lense from here at good price.
Old 23-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Just watched this.....

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ni...o_review.shtml

All 10 mins of it.

I was left thinking that the D60 looks rammed with features and gimmicks, but I wasn't sure if that guy liked it quite as much as the Canon. Also, he drew alot of comparisons to the D40X and made references to it only being marginally ahead of it and I have seen in other places, people speaking more highly of the old Nikon D40 over the D40X.

Lee, Warehouseexpress (as Adrian pointed out) is just round the corner from me, so it seems they may be a good place to visit, though the more I look, Jessops aren't too far off the pace. I had planned to just go there tomorrow to look, but I certainly think I will take the readies.

So, to the point, if I were to buy just the body, what lens would people suggest in lieu of the 18-55 that most of the standard'ish kits come with? I assume an 18-70 for example is physically bigger, so will be more cumbersome to carry?
Old 23-03-2008, 09:42 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chrisitian, sorry to hijack your thread but it saves making another.

I too am interested in getting a budget digital slr camera like the ones mentioned above. My main use would be taking photographs at football matches that we could use to show incorrect player positioning etc.. What would the best setup and lense be?

I understand a lot about compact digital cameras but admit I would not be confident when it comes to selecting the corret lense etc..

Quick Reply: DSLR Camera peeps....Page 3 MORE HELP NEEDED!!