General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

DSLR Camera peeps....Page 3 MORE HELP NEEDED!!

Search this Thread

Old 30-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Now, moving on from the purchase of the camera, what do you hobby DSLR guys carry with you?

Here is my massive bag laid out with my stuff in it...

Nicole said i look like an Astronaught in it.

I beat you to this topic pal:
https://passionford.com/forum/general-car-related-discussion/210312-camera-people-what-kit-do-you-carry-and.html
Old 30-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Muska
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A UV filter will protect the lens. I use them on all my lenses.

Tripod wise i have a Manfrotto for general use (about £180 and ball head £35) and a Benko (about £190) for landscapes. A tripod is not just a tripod, a good sturdy one is essential or it's useless as it will shudder even when the shutter fires!

I bought the top of the range flash as it can be used remotely, as a commander etc etc. I bought this from ebay shipped from china/japan. saved nearly £100 doing that.

On a shoot i'll take everything with me in my Lowepro bag:

Cost about £60. Fits everything i have in (camera, 4 lenses, flash, charger for batteries & camera, all leads, tripod head, filters/memory cards etc etc. On reflection i would have bought this bag instead:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...aspx?sku=10250
Much easier to change lenses in the field if you don't have to put the bag down!

If i had more lenses/kit i'd make sure i have neough gear to cover the focal lengths i needed. i'd look for something that could house my tripod so i could use it when needed.

I hope that helps.

Matt.
Old 30-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The lens protector type filter everyone goes on about is a UV filter.

Good post, I was wondering the same re: kit & what lenses for different applications. Been doing some research, but it's always nice to hear the voice of experience....
Old 30-03-2008, 08:13 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well I got my first Dslr on thursday and took my first proper photos today at a coaching course I was on. I only have the Sony A200, 2GB mem card and std 18-70mm lense at the moment. I just used the following items to carry my stuff in as I have not got a proper bag yet. The bag is just a two main compartment job and I have a small piece of towel cut and fitted and a plastic sheet behind it to keep any excess rain out and in the other main compartment which is padded I keep the camera wrapped in the yellow protect sheet it came in, and then placed in the jogo bonito bad which is also waterproof.

We had hail and rain today which was pretty bad, hence the muck on the bag where I set it on the grass. The camera remained in the bag during the 25 minute down pour and most important it stayed dry. I will eventually go for a decent bag, but I want a back pack item so it does not look like I am carrying expensive camera gear. I will eventually go for a bag similar to this. http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...aspx?sku=14836

Last edited by tonyk; 30-03-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: add link
Old 30-03-2008, 09:27 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

if you read your own thread properly, you would see that i recomend a polarising filter rather than a uv filter - especially if you want to take pictures of cars as you can use it to either see through windows or have them completely opaque
Old 30-03-2008, 10:34 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

I don't put any filters on my lenses, unless I need them. So polarising if I need a polarising filter, uv if I need one, etc...
There are two schools of though on this really, some say they are essential to protect your gear, others (I do) say that you should look after your gear properly, and, unless you spend a lot of money on decent filters, why bother get decent lenses, then stick a cheap bit of plastic on the end.

Much better to fit a hood on the end of your lenses, for two reasons, one, it will protect the lens from the occasional knock, two, it will avoid sun flare which can happen on sunny day (often only noticed back at home when it's too late).

As for bags, I have two. A lowepro computrekker, in which I can put almost everything, including a laptop. I also have a lowepro Slingshot 150 (or 100 ) which I take if I only need a few things with me.
I have been known to take both bags on holiday though, one as carry on luggage (the big one), the other in my suitcase for those trips where you don't want to lug 12kg of camera equipment

I have also bought two small aluminium cases to keep bits and bobs in.

Tripods, advice given above is spot on. Don't skimp, if you're going to buy one, get a good one. The heavier the better, but there's a trade-off there when you take it for long walkies

Flash, again, get the best you can afford, the one that's on your camera is pointless, except for very close shots. It won't light up a whole room.

I wrote a topic on this, maybe good time for another quick read

Here are a few pics of my bits and bobs

PS: there was a big post a while ago about camera bags when stu was looking for one

PPS: A rucksack is good to carry stuff for a long time, but not very practical when it comes to getting stuff out of it. You need to take it off, lie it on the floor, get what you need, put it back on your shoulder... Most pros use a shoulder bag which isn't as comfortable but much more practical. Another option is a series of belt mounted lens holders which are both comfortable and easy to reach. Best of both worlds

Hope this helps
Old 31-03-2008, 05:25 PM
vroomtshh

What would an ideal birthday present for someone whos just getting into photography? Looking to spend around the £50 mark, and they have just got a camera, 2 lenses, spare battery and whatever the camera came with.

I was thinking about a lowepro sling style bag. The Aw200 I think Amazon are doing it for £35.

Anything that would be better?
Old 31-03-2008, 05:42 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

software, books?
Old 31-03-2008, 06:06 PM
vroomtshh

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
software, books?
What sort of software? TBH I doubt theres much software out there that I would actually buy

Books are ok but a bit boring as a present
Old 31-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Daryl
Part of the Furniture

I'v just been through all this myself about 6 months ago,

What camara (eos400d or D40x)

What lens

etc etc

Unlike yourself I went for the Nikon. I'v had the camara for 6 months and only ever used the kit lens . This I feel has been a benefit because i have been more concerned with using the features and settings on the camara.

When I bought my camara from jessops in chelmsford the salesman was actually really good and I asked his advice on what bag to buy as this was something that I overlooked. My only prefrence was not to big, but be able to carry at least one spare lens , memory cards etc.

The bag he recommended was a lowepro and i would never buy any other bag for my camara other than a lowepro. They have such a feel of quality and i would happily drop it from head height and know my camara is safe. But and its a BIG BUT..........

The problem with Photography is if you get the bitten buy the bug like i have then its all very easy to get carried away and buy everything far to quickly. Thus your medium size bag is now to small.

My personal recomendation for a bag would be the one Muska has. Not to big not to small and enough space for years of you gathering eqipment. Defo on my hit list

Hope this helps

Daryl

Last edited by Daryl; 31-03-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by vroomtshh
What would an ideal birthday present for someone whos just getting into photography? Looking to spend around the £50 mark, and they have just got a camera, 2 lenses, spare battery and whatever the camera came with.
I was thinking about a lowepro sling style bag. The Aw200 I think Amazon are doing it for £35.
Anything that would be better?
Is that person close to you ? Would it be possible to ask them what £50 could go towards ? I am thinking flash or other things that could cost more and would benefit from the help, maybe as a gift voucher.

Other things like magazine subscriptions (assuming there's one they like to read regularly). Money towards a training course...
Old 01-04-2008, 07:41 AM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What about a tripod as the gift?

I just bought the official Sony bag for my camera on Ebay for £22.99, and I also bought a sandisk 4GB memory card for 99p! well £13.98 including the postage. Hopefully it will acutally turn up!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:53 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by tonyk
I also bought a sandisk 4GB memory card for 99p! well £13.98 including the postage. Hopefully it will acutally turn up!
Hopefully it won't be a fake !!! I bought a cheap sandisk a while back, and it was very slow to write to - no hope of continuous shooting ! I also lost a few pictures when trying to read them back off the card.

Hope yours is legit
Old 01-04-2008, 07:55 AM
vroomtshh

Originally Posted by frog
Is that person close to you ? Would it be possible to ask them what £50 could go towards ? I am thinking flash or other things that could cost more and would benefit from the help, maybe as a gift voucher.

Other things like magazine subscriptions (assuming there's one they like to read regularly). Money towards a training course...
Yeh they are pretty close. I was maybe a bit impulsive and bought a 16gb memory card. If I hadn;t, I would have had more to spend

TBH I will go over the budget, if there is something that everyone really recommends. I just thought a bag would be handy.

Shes doing a photography course just now, so books and magazines are probably a bit pointless.

I thought the bag I mentioned was a fair size? Hard to tell in the pictures. If the larger one makes more sense, then I dont mind spending the extra.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Frog (Greg?) just re-read your 101 Tut's - cheers for doing them, and thanks to Stu to for his advice & help also
Old 01-04-2008, 11:28 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by Billabong
Frog (Greg?) just re-read your 101 Tut's - cheers for doing them, and thanks to Stu to for his advice & help also
No problem, pleased to see they are still useful

And yes, it's Greg in real life
Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

greg's tutorials are legendary
Old 01-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Muska

They certainly are
Old 01-04-2008, 04:15 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by frog
Hopefully it won't be a fake !!! I bought a cheap sandisk a while back, and it was very slow to write to - no hope of continuous shooting ! I also lost a few pictures when trying to read them back off the card.

Hope yours is legit
I paid via paypal and mastercard, so if it is a fake I will hold the payment.

Frog, can you look at this picture for me and tell me why its became a bit pixelated around the goal keeper. I appreciate its hard to see(impossible lol) but this was an action shot taken on sport mode on the A200, raw image type selected for the original. Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25177233@N03/2375179410/

Image data:

Camera: Sony DSLR-A200
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Muska

It's not so much pixalation, it's blur. i would say because of the shutter speed. This is probably because he's moved fast to save the ball.
While not very slow it's not been fast enough the freeze the action. Putting the ISO up a little will help you obtain faster shutter speeds, but if you tart to put it up high it will induce noise into the picture.

hope that helps,
Matt.

Last edited by Muska; 01-04-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Agreed with muska, the image is otherwise pin sharp (look at the railings, etc...) so the person taking the photo didn't move. But the goalie was too fast for the camera, resulting in motion blur.
To be honest, it's not bad to have that bit of blur, shows action and movement. Much better than a purely static shot imo.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Muska, Frog, Thanks for the help. When you say increase the shutter speed do you mean bring it lower, say 1/200 as an example?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Muska

You're welcome
No 1/500th +. I have no idea what shutter speed would be correct though i'm afraid, i'd set the ISO to 400 and have a go then and see how it comes out though.

Cheers,
Matt.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:30 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Muska
You're welcome
No 1/500th +. I have no idea what shutter speed would be correct though i'm afraid, i'd set the ISO to 400 and have a go then and see how it comes out though.

Cheers,
Matt.
Will gave it a try when we train again. Didnt want to make a balls of it, so I just used the auto for my first go.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right... following on from this thread... How does the D60 and 450D compare to those mentioned??? As I understand it they are the latest ones just released?? I'm planning on picking a DSLR up this month and again am undecided... Currently have a 5 yr old Nikon 35mm SLR but have never really used it to its full potential, partly why I want to upgrade to digi now, can experiment without wasting film
Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Muska

review of the D60:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/

I would re-read my comments about the D60/D40/D40x on the first page mate, i would go for the canon personally. It's the D60's useability that lets it down in my opinion, but it's ability as a camera might be enough for what you require.

At that price range though i'd consider the Nikon D80 against the Canon 450D and in that instance i'd choose the nikon as it has more of the features i'd use and better useability (in my opinion)

A review of the D80 can be found here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/

What do you plan to use it for? Are you going to be using external flashes? Do HDR's interest you?

Matt.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Muska
What do you plan to use it for? Are you going to be using external flashes? Do HDR's interest you?

Matt.
Static shots and motorsport pics (I'm literally 10 mins from Brands) so will need a good zoom lense too, I'm used to having two lenses at the mo

HDRs??
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Muska

~high dynamic range. a bracketing option might be of interest if you were.

I'd still stay away from the D60 then due to the fact it wont work with any lens that does not have an internal focus motor drive, something you'll definately want shooting motorsport.

Betweenthe Nikon D80 and the Canon 450D i'm not sure, i prefere the Nikon's but thats me really, i've never owned a Canon as such.

Last edited by Muska; 06-04-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 21-12-2008, 05:44 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to drag this all the way to the top again. But...

I'm in the same position as Christian was, and was wondering if its still a good idea to go ahead with the Canon 400d for around the same budget (£400)??

Landscapes
People & Pets
Close ups
Motorsport (I understand an extra lense is required...)

Thats the kind of use I'd need it for.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 21-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Sorry to drag this all the way to the top again. But...

I'm in the same position as Christian was, and was wondering if its still a good idea to go ahead with the Canon 400d for around the same budget (£400)??

Landscapes
People & Pets
Close ups
Motorsport (I understand an extra lense is required...)

Thats the kind of use I'd need it for.

Cheers,
Grant
I may be selling a 20D after Xmas as I fancy the 5D MK2. I stay in Glenrothes.
Old 21-12-2008, 06:08 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

ive owned my d60 for a few months now, as im really getting on with it! as said two downsides, no bracketing option, and all lens have to be af-s if nikon or HSM if sigma! apart from that its near enough perfect for me!
Old 21-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GARETH T
ive owned my d60 for a few months now, as im really getting on with it! as said two downsides, no bracketing option, and all lens have to be af-s if nikon or HSM if sigma! apart from that its near enough perfect for me!
I'm in the same boat as Gareth, and totally agree about the lenses and bracketing option.

Although if you're not going to be making HDR images then the lack of bracketing probably wont be a problem to you. Even if you do wish to make HDR's you can still manage to do it without the bracketing feature, it just takes a little bit more effort.

It would also be better if it had more autofocus points, but this doesnt cause a lot of problems. all in all im well happy with my D60
Old 21-12-2008, 08:16 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm I think my D50 has bracketing, although fairly simple.
Old 21-12-2008, 08:18 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

BTW i might have a d60 with kit lens for sale after Xmas LOL
Old 21-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I am over the moon with my 400D, but I never realised that the 18-55 kit lens would be so shite though (I have NO DSLR experience before this and amazed that I found the limitations of it!!)

I'm still looking for a good 70-300 lens, but haven't got fortunes to spend, then hopefully I'll get more use out of this camera!!
Old 21-12-2008, 08:35 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

i find my 18-55mm lens the most used
Old 21-12-2008, 08:45 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kit lens is typically extremely good when used properly.
Old 21-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by pa_sjo
The kit lens is typically extremely good when used properly.
Got time someone said it. It isnt a bad lens. When used good with the good handeling of the cam it is a good lens. Yes there are better ones. But it isnt as bad as most of you say it is.
Old 21-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Well, I am over the moon with my 400D, but I never realised that the 18-55 kit lens would be so shite though (I have NO DSLR experience before this and amazed that I found the limitations of it!!)

I'm still looking for a good 70-300 lens, but haven't got fortunes to spend, then hopefully I'll get more use out of this camera!!
Other than it cant go any wider than 17mm and wont further than 55mm... what limitations have you found christian?
Old 21-12-2008, 09:03 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had a wee surf and it appears that Canon have brought out the 1000D, which might sound better (higher number ) but slots in under the 450D and has + and - when compared to the 400D that it replaces.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.205-0667.aspx

Looks pretty good value to me, from reading the box contents, I think thats the 'basic' 18-55mm kit that Tesco are selling so assume that I'd need to factor in costs of memory card, bag etc.

Also read a really detailed review here: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon_1000d/ which also compares it in a table against the 400D and 450D.

Can anyone whos clued up on this subject cast an eye over the spec and review for me please?? I read it, and it appears good, but I dont really know much about this.

Cheers,
Grant

Quick Reply: DSLR Camera peeps....Page 3 MORE HELP NEEDED!!