General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Advanced Driving Tests

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Driving Tests

Did a post on this aggeeees back, but thought I'd start another one as I'm interested in taking the Advanced Driving Test this summer.

Anyone got any specific information on what the sessions involve, and the exam? Is it like a normal test with them watching your speed etc to the dot, or is it more flexible, where appropriate speed and acceleration are ok?

Would they disapprove of turning up in my scoob, or would do they encourage people who drive performance cars?

What are the actual benefits if you pass? Yeah you've gained some skills, and got a certificate, but is there much recognition to the award, cheaper insurance for example, or perhaps the magistrate might be a bit more understanding if you hold an advanced ticket
Old 05-03-2008, 07:29 PM
haighlsby
PassionFord Regular

I think one of the benefits is reduced insurance
Old 05-03-2008, 07:31 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hi phil

i had to do one of these with the last company i was with , basically not a test but an assessment of my driving and errectifing my mistakes

the reason why i had to go on this driving course..... was basically to check on the drivers abilty behind the wheel with the company vans and cars

i had to assess their driving and then tell them what they were doing wrong ect

i took that test with the RAC about 3yrs ago
Old 05-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the IAM one and you learn in your own car with an Observer (their name for the volunteer instructor). They are encouraging young drivers and it costs something like Ł75 for under 25s, to include all your tuition and the test as well as the first year's membership if you pass the test.

They won't be put off by a Subaru - most of the observers have decent cars themselves, but you might get one of the holier-than-though types with a Rover 45!

The actual test is about an hour and a half and the commentary is now optional but encouraged. The examiner will be a Class 1 Police driver, which helps keep the speed under the limit!

They do insist that you keep rigidly to the speed limit but expect you to make proper progress at all times so you shouldn't be pottering about like Miss Daisy or you will fail!

Insurance discount is much touted but I found Direct Line and Elephant were just as good. Do it for the satisfaction that you have proved you can drive to a higher standard than most other drivers.

From experience, I can guarantee that neither the cops or the magistrate will let you off just because you passed the advanced test!!

But I can also say it will almost certainly make you a better driver - observation skills and reading the road ahead were the big things I noted, but also the actual mechanics of driving.

RoSPA do one as well but I haven't done it. With them, you're driving is graded and you are awarded a Gold, Silver or Bronze award if you pass, but you have to undergo a retest every three years to retain the award.

Last edited by Iain Mac; 05-03-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:59 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

we had a full days course but there is also the week long course you can do as well
Old 05-03-2008, 08:32 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
From experience, I can guarantee that neither the cops or the magistrate will let you off just because you passed the advanced test!!
I'm sure someone told me they will screw you more, because you should know better
Old 05-03-2008, 08:35 PM
matt p
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
I'm sure someone told me they will screw you more, because you should know better

Yep they sure do, plus a severe slap on the wrist aswell!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:49 AM
fish99
Advanced PassionFord User

I think any course that improves someones own personal standard of driving is a good thing.

I use to think I was a good driver but when I went out with a class 1 advanced you think...god im shite, not because of the way I was driving but the things that I was missing out like observation links etc. The problem with most drivers is that their vision is too low, you dont think about unless you are then put in a position where you have to look as far as possible into the distance. The one test they got us to do was the lead and follow, basically they got us following an automatic vaux vectra around country lanes and we were in a manual. The thing is autos dont have engine braking and you end up getting sucked into bends way too fast because your vision starts becoming low again and you get fixated on car in front. When you raise the vision you dont do that and you basically drive your own drive if you know what I mean.

Get yourself the roadcraft book and have a read, I found it quite useful.

The discount you get from insurance isnt anything to write home about so I would say just improving your own standard is the biggest benefit