General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

PC Performance......

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PC Performance......

I know I have been roughly here before, but not with these same questions.

Our PC is a good spec, but seems to be running slowly these days. I do very regular maintenance (Disk Cleanup/Defrag, manually file maintenance, Ad-aware, AVG etc etc), but it still doesn't seem to perform how I think it should.

It's a Pentium 4 3.0ghz processor with 1.0gb RAM. I have suspected the hard-drive for a while, but it does work and never errors. When it had a go-slow moment, which it often does, you can hear the HD or something in the PC working hard.

My question is this, is it possible to conclusively prove whether this is a HD problem or a RAM problem? Does RAM go faulty? It's a Western Digital HD and I have run WD's Diagnostic program and it all tests OK on that. It's a 200gb drive and has 150gb free, as I have a second 500gb drive for data storage, so it's not even like its full!!

I don't really want to throw parts at it needlessly.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:43 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How old is the windows installation? sometimes a simple back up and reinstall of windows gets it back running how it used to.
As for your spec, its good if your running xp or older and only web browsing, msn etc, anything more taxing then your pc becomes not so good!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:51 PM
PF Dave
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Windows generally does just end up becoming slower as programs and updates go in and out of the registry etc so as said a rebuild of the software usually sorts things out.

By working hard, do you mean you can hear it making any iffy noises? As in crunching or a repeated clunk noise? If so that would suggest HDD. You could do with some more ram to speed things up as well. Testing it is quite easy if you have other RAM to hand or a spare PC lol - Otherwise there is software you can download to check it.

Failing that if it's something that's happened fairly recently you could try using system restore to put it back before that time. If it works great again you know it was an update or something you installed during that time.

HTH

Last edited by PF Dave; 02-03-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Its probably writing data to disk to Virtual Memory as it doesn't have enough main RAM. I'd stick another gig in it first and seeow it goes with that. Can never have enough memory in a PC.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:30 PM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

what security are you using as some, especially norton can slow your system to a crawl?
Old 02-03-2008, 02:34 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

XP?

Unless you're doing something special, 1Gb RAM is plenty.

It's also not your problem if it was running well before

Have a look at task manager when it runs slow and see what processes are using a lot of CPU time. Google them for clues...
Old 02-03-2008, 02:44 PM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

Originally Posted by gaz s1
what security are you using as some, especially norton can slow your system to a crawl?
As above ?
Old 02-03-2008, 02:48 PM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

Best anti virus program ive used is kaspersky anti virus

for finding viruses and not slowing your system down at all and yes ive tried them all

Last edited by G2RSR; 02-03-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:29 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

C&B,
When you run the antivirus and spyware scans make sure they are set to thorough as a basic scan can miss things. I would also set the scanners to search archives if your program supports this. I feel the prob is most likely related to 1GB of RAM as perhaps newer programs or updates you have installed are taking more RAM than before or the CPU may be working harder than usual. All windows installs get slower over time and it can get to the point where a re-format and re-install are required.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its probably filled up with loads of shit programs

Format it - re install windows, add only the stuff u actually need and be amazed at how fast it is.

I need my pc tip top for online gaming so its formatted regularly.

It gets,

Windows
Css
firefox
winamp
Decent video player

and thats about it. Everything else is usually pointless - it runs very quick.

RW
Old 02-03-2008, 04:54 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Once in a while I go into msconfig (start, run, type msconfig) and startup tab.. then uncheck things like quicktime, camera software, itunes, MSN etc, etc. Basically all unnecessary stuff.

Basically the pc over time gathers loads of progs to startup at PC boot and has them there ready in the background, just uncheck them. They'll still work when you want them to but just wont clog the pc up when you don't.

Like someone said you can google the names and see if you need them to run.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

I use Lavasoft Ad-Aware, which I run every couple of weeks. I always update it first and always run a full scan (not the 'Smart Scan').

I use AVG, which runs in the background and updates every day automatically.

Windows was reloaded last year and I dont actually have that much crap on here. The PC is generally not as fast as I would expect (can't remember what it was like when new, but it was actually quite a good entertainment machine when we got it 3 years ago).

So, can anyone suggest a piece of software to check the RAM? I am happy to upgrade it by adding another 1-2 gig, but would rather spend the money on the HD if its that. Don't really want to buy both unless I have to.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the ram was fucked the machine wouldn't work

Don't be a lazy sod - format it - stick the basics on it (takes about an hour) and see if its better. If not then scrap it cos 3 years old in the PC world means its basically rubbish lol.

U could benchmark is first to give u an idea if its performing as it should do. Download novabench and run that. it wont test ur hdd but it will test the pace of the rest of ur machine.

RW
Old 02-03-2008, 06:38 PM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

I think avg could be your problem its very high on resources and its constantly accessing the hard drive which slows the access time down loads
Old 02-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

RW - I aren't going to just bin it, it was almost Ł1k! Here is the spec.....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...441432&lang=en

Also, reformatting is a pain in the arse. Again, I will do it if needed, but just wanted to be able to run checks on the basic components first if it can be done.

G2RSR - The only security I run is AVG and Ad-Aware. If I lose AVG, what else should I run?
Old 02-03-2008, 06:53 PM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

like i said above mate i use kaspersky anti virus its one of the best by far when your using your pc it stops scanning it only scans when your not accessing the hard drive
Old 02-03-2008, 06:56 PM
vroomtshh

crucial memory.com will let you do a memory scan and tell how your computer is performing
Old 02-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

I have to pay for that?
Old 02-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by vroomtshh
crucial memory.com will let you do a memory scan and tell how your computer is performing
I've been on Crucial and seen the scanner that tells you what memory you have and what you could upgrade to, but can't find anything that tells you if its working right?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:04 PM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
I have to pay for that?

Yeah its about Ł20 i think but saying that most of the free stuff you can get as its own spyware built into it
Old 02-03-2008, 07:06 PM
RS_Ant
PassionFord Post Troll

Dude im sorry but a 3ghz P4 and 1gig of ram is oldddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cud prolly build a PC of that spec for about Ł60.

AVG is aload of bollocks, hogs system ram and processor cycle's!!

Fresh install install is my sugestion WITHOUT the bullshit anti-spyware and anti-virus crap. Ive never used any of them and ive NEVER had a problem.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:07 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by G2RSR
I think avg could be your problem its very high on resources and its constantly accessing the hard drive which slows the access time down loads
Mate your speaking rubbish, avg does not use much resources, its one of the AV's that uses the least, if you want proof i can show you in my task manager
Old 02-03-2008, 07:09 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by RS_Ant
Dude im sorry but a 3ghz P4 and 1gig of ram is oldddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cud prolly build a PC of that spec for about Ł60.

AVG is aload of bollocks, hogs system ram and processor cycle's!!

Fresh install install is my sugestion WITHOUT the bullshit anti-spyware and anti-virus crap. Ive never used any of them and ive NEVER had a problem.
The only bollocks is what you just typed ive been using avg for over a year, im on the net everyday and ive never had a virus, never had a single issue with the programme or virus related problems, as for resource, do neither of you not know how to read a task manager and tell how much ram a programme is using??
Old 02-03-2008, 07:14 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

fuck AVG off and get Avast if your wanting free AV

Use RegVAC to tidy up your registry and rid it of the old threads

Use start > run > msconfig to remove anything un-necessary that runs on startup

Run spybot adware scan and also if you enable advanced mode you can use the spybot registry checker, run that too

Check your virtual memory is set to at least 1536MB (physical memory x 1.5)

Remove any indexing software shite like google desktop or windows desktop search, complete and utter waste of time and thrashes the balls of your hard disks

Have you got any firewall software running? If so which one, and is there any point in having it (i.e. if you have a nat router) by the sounds of it you are pretty pc savvy and wont be installing any old shite you can get your hands on without realising its spyware (hence the need for an outbound firewall)

CLear temp files, temp internet files (start > run > %TEMP% > hit enter

Update graphics drivers - ive found that certain onboard chipset drivers i.e. intel, are so badly written they make your system performance turn to shit

See how you get on with these, and as mentioned, see whats using up all your resources in task manager

1GB on XP is plenty - I'm currently using a dell latitude X1 mini laptop with an early centrino chip thats only got 256mb, and it runs fine. Though it is only a bare bones install. XP SP2, office 2003, firefox and Anti Virus is all i have installed. I only use it for web browsing downstairs anyway rather than using the PC...plus i can watch telly at the same time
Old 02-03-2008, 07:15 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

"When it had a go-slow moment, which it often does, you can hear the HD or something in the PC working hard."
The ONLY thing you're going to be able to hear is the hard disk. It's possible that in some circumstances a fan might get louder if the PC is being used hard (gaming) but you're not doing much with the PC, so the only thing that's going to make a noise during "go-slow moments" is going to be the hard disk. Providing you don't have any issues with your CD drive etc. But I'm sure you'd have mentioned if it only happened when you opened an explorer window or something.

But I think the advice so far has been good: a good new install of Windows is always nice. And it's less hassle than you imagine it. The amount of times I've ended up having to reinstall, and it's so much less aggro than you imagine it.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:17 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Oh...and as for AV - Best AV hands down is McAfee Enterprise AVD

Kaspersky is crap, ive tested it downloading known viruses and it didnt spot them

It's also good to have your windows installation on its own hard disk. Then you can re-install with little effort. Save all your music and movies on a seperate physical disk and re-map your my docs by right clicking on the icon and pointing it at another drive

Plus, if your windows goes nuts and starts blue screening you dont have to fuck about retreiving data from it before a reinstall

Last edited by BigMouthBillyBass; 02-03-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:18 PM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

Originally Posted by VW_08
Mate your speaking rubbish, avg does not use much resources, its one of the AV's that uses the least, if you want proof i can show you in my task manager
mate ive had it installed on my pc high on resources meaning its constantly accessing your hard drive think of it as when you click on a program then click on another how slow is your pc then as both programs are trying to access the hard drive at the same time
Old 02-03-2008, 07:24 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

ive been using avg for over a year, im on the net everyday and ive never had a virus
How do you know? You mean AVG has never DETECTED a virus
Old 02-03-2008, 07:26 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by G2RSR
mate ive had it installed on my pc high on resources meaning its constantly accessing your hard drive think of it as when you click on a program then click on another how slow is your pc then as both programs are trying to access the hard drive at the same time
My hard drive is silent.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:29 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by BigMouthBillyBass
How do you know? You mean AVG has never DETECTED a virus
Tried other AV's, once installed i did the obvious(a full scan), did it find anything? no none of them did.

All of the ones listed above, and ive got a friend who had Mcafee, it was basically screwed up and not working, even windows security center said her machine had no AV had a hard time removing it aswell, you need a special removal tool to get the thing off, and then i got her to instal AVG and it picked up about 10 virus and some worms etc.

Im not shitting you either, end of the day people will always have their opinions/experiences on whats best and what the best practice is.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:34 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

She probably had McAfee numpty edition that Dell ship with all the annoying crap that bugs the hell out of you, McAfee AVD Enterprise/Total Protection is where it's at
Old 02-03-2008, 07:35 PM
RS_Ant
PassionFord Post Troll

Tried other AV's, once installed i did the obvious(a full scan), did it find anything? no none of them did.

All of the ones listed above, and ive got a friend who had Mcafee, it was basically screwed up and not working, even windows security center said her machine had no AV had a hard time removing it aswell, you need a special removal tool to get the thing off, and then i got her to instal AVG and it picked up about 10 virus and some worms etc.

Im not shitting you either, end of the day people will always have their opinions/experiences on whats best and what the best practice is.
http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?p=4282 - AVG is 9th place outta 10.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/124475-1/article.html - AVG in LAST place

None of the three free antivirus products tested for the "The New Virus Fighters" ranked highly, but Grisoft's AVG Antivirus Free Edition holds the distinct honor of having placed last among all ten paid and free contenders due to a clunky interface, the omission of significant features, and below-average performance.

In our performance tests, AVG Free Edition ranked second to last. (Alwil Software's free Avast Home Edition ranked last.) While AVG Free Edition caught nearly 100 percent of bots and zombies in our collection of zoo malware, it caught a disappointing 65 percent of Trojan horses. It ranked second-to-last in our heuristics tests--detecting just 11 percent of worms and 8 percent of backdoor programs using one-month-old virus data.
As i said, its wank

Last edited by RS_Ant; 02-03-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:38 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by BigMouthBillyBass
She probably had McAfee numpty edition that Dell ship with all the annoying crap that bugs the hell out of you, McAfee AVD Enterprise/Total Protection is where it's at
That doesnt sound free to me.

I only say that because ive been using free stuff for ages and my pc runs spot on, touch wood
Old 02-03-2008, 07:41 PM
RS_Ant
PassionFord Post Troll

That doesnt sound free to me.

I only say that because ive been using free stuff for ages and my pc runs spot on, touch wood
Whats your PC's specs?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:43 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just do a general clean up with, tuneup utilities and cccleaner
Old 02-03-2008, 07:46 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

C&B,
While your spec of PC may be old by todays standards, it will be enough to run a windows XP based system. Few things to do before you re-format and re-install windows.

Before you start, hold ctrl, alt and del keys down and find how much ram is currently in use. Do the same again after these tasks below and see if it has decreased.

1. Run Adaware 2007 and do a full scan.

2. Run AVG and make sure its going to do its most thorough check, including archives. This could take 4+ hours to run, so run it overnight.

3. Right Click on my computer and select properties and then go to advanced tab and select virtual memory settings to your 500GB hard disk and set to a minium of 1.5 times your RAM and a maximum of 3 times your RAM. By moving this memory file to your second hard disc this will speed up its operation.

4. Click start and then run and type msconfig into the box, remove anything not essential such as MSN messenger, norton ghost etc... This will not delete the program, just stop it from starting every time the PC starts up. What you may find is that HP have put a lot of apps in there such as win dvd, microsoft works etc..

5. You asked about HD diagnostic tools, go to this link and select the program that meets your drive type. http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

I appreciate others have mentioned some of this above. I would buy the extra ram as you will see benefit from it and RAM is so cheap now. I would go for 2x 1GB ddr 3200 sticks.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:37 PM
gaz s1

as said above sounds like your registry is clogged up with shite everytime you uninstall a program it leaves shit behind get c cleaner and run the registry cleaner and clean your temp files and defrag the pc. Avast is better than avg as avg 8 is out now so support for 7.5 is going to dwindle. Ive only got 1 gig of ram and my pc flies on xp and ive got a shit load of programs installed take for instance my security
Comodo firewall pro with defense + enabled
Avast 4.7
Spyware Terminator
Spywate blaster
These programs are all free and i visit the darkside quite a bit and never get infrected, dont listen to peeps who say you need paid security cause most times youre paying for the support which dont help mostimes anyway.
Ad adware dont cut it anymore so you may have some spyware but it sounds to me like your registry has loads of shit on it, Xp should fly mate and makes vista look like a donkey so something aint right
Old 02-03-2008, 10:45 PM
gaz s1

Forgot to mention have you done a disc check, Start ,my computer, right click on local disc c.properties.tools then click the check for errors and it should tell you to reboot and when the blue screen comes up on reboot xp will check your harddrive and fix any errors
Old 03-03-2008, 05:55 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyk
C&B,
While your spec of PC may be old by todays standards, it will be enough to run a windows XP based system. Few things to do before you re-format and re-install windows.

Before you start, hold ctrl, alt and del keys down and find how much ram is currently in use. Do the same again after these tasks below and see if it has decreased.

1. Run Adaware 2007 and do a full scan.

2. Run AVG and make sure its going to do its most thorough check, including archives. This could take 4+ hours to run, so run it overnight.

3. Right Click on my computer and select properties and then go to advanced tab and select virtual memory settings to your 500GB hard disk and set to a minium of 1.5 times your RAM and a maximum of 3 times your RAM. By moving this memory file to your second hard disc this will speed up its operation.

4. Click start and then run and type msconfig into the box, remove anything not essential such as MSN messenger, norton ghost etc... This will not delete the program, just stop it from starting every time the PC starts up. What you may find is that HP have put a lot of apps in there such as win dvd, microsoft works etc..

5. You asked about HD diagnostic tools, go to this link and select the program that meets your drive type. http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

I appreciate others have mentioned some of this above. I would buy the extra ram as you will see benefit from it and RAM is so cheap now. I would go for 2x 1GB ddr 3200 sticks.
did that on mine a ew months ago and it was like using a new machine and considering it's about 2 years old el cheapo pc world basics that's quite good for what it is
and if i were to buy another one then i wuld have to get rid of office so that's why i don't