General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

WIRELESS ROUTER HELP NEEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 15-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Stephen_B
I actually Bum This Place

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WIRELESS ROUTER HELP NEEEDED

right i would post in computers and it, but i need a quick response.

I have bought a netgear super G router, and although i can get it to connect to the computers, i can only get a local connection, so it will not connect to the internet. I have set everything up correctly (as best as I could as the instructions are useless), with it secured etc but cannot get anything more than a local connection.

(btw im posting this on some fool neighbour's unsecured network lol)

thanks in advance
Old 15-02-2008, 02:07 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

well you have got the actual network bit working which is the difficult bit, you just need to get the router to connect to the interweb.

are you sure you have used correct username and passwords?
filters on all phone lines etc?
Old 15-02-2008, 02:08 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

i wouldnt admit to that... technically its illeagal...

however, is the router detecting a connection to the net? if not then its likely you have your user and password settings wrong for the net... check also that the router is not set to block net communications...
Old 15-02-2008, 02:09 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

wheres the net connection going to??? your computer, or the router???
Old 15-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Stephen_B

Originally Posted by nilrem
i wouldnt admit to that... technically its illeagal...

however, is the router detecting a connection to the net? if not then its likely you have your user and password settings wrong for the net... check also that the router is not set to block net communications...
i assume by user and password setting you mean my dad's aol logon name and password. Yes, i know, dreaded aol lol. Thing is, the old router worked fine with aol but it had to go as it kepted overheating and cutting out.
Old 15-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Stephen_B

it seems to be picking up the ternet connection (8meg download 500kb upload), but still it says local only. And im' sure everything is correct.
Old 15-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800
Advanced PassionFord User

Aol is nightmare to setup . On my mates setup on a netgear router you had to have the AOL supplied modem plugged into the router.

Also we had it working through internet explorer for a bit then it decided to stop working. So had to install AOL on his laptop to use the wireless.

Id ditch AOL and use another provider

Trending Topics

Old 15-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Stephen_B

Originally Posted by Sunil_FiestaRS1800
Aol is nightmare to setup . On my mates setup on a netgear router you ahd to have the supplied modem plugged into the router.

Also we had it working through internet explorer for a bit then it decided to stop working. So had to install AOL on his laptop to use the wireless.

18 month contract my dad's signed up for not a month ago in exchange for faster internet speeds and a bill reduction

plus i cant be arsed to change my email
Old 15-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Originally Posted by Stephen_B
Aol is nightmare to setup . On my mates setup on a netgear router you ahd to have the supplied modem plugged into the router.

18 month contract my dad's signed up for not a month ago in exchange for faster internet speeds and a bill reduction

Ok. Id contact AOL and see if the router is one that they list as compatible. If it is they should be able to talk you through what needs to be done. Most of time the people you get through to are complete muppets, ask for the technical manager and he should know his stuff and get you sorted
Old 15-02-2008, 02:34 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

my dad has a problem with AOL... but has the opposite problem to yours... the local connection wont work, but the internet does... AOL has a set up programme inside... but i dont know if you will just end up like my dad... i spent hours failing to try and connect his locally, but couldnt coz of AOL...
Old 15-02-2008, 02:35 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AOL are useless. end of
Old 15-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Stephen_B

Ok. Id contact AOL and see if the router is one that they list as compatible. If it is they should be able to talk you through what needs to be done. Most of time the people you get through to are complete muppets, ask for the technical manager and he should know his stuff and get you sorted
the old router wasnt an aol compatible one (it wasnt even a branded router lol) and worked fine, which is what I dont get.
Old 15-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Stephen_B

what appears when i click "router status" when i log into 192.168.0.1

obviously i have removed certain parts of it that i dont want you to know, like the mac address etc

Now, can anyone notice anything wrong with it?
Old 15-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

the old router wasnt an aol compatible one (it wasnt even a branded router lol) and worked fine, which is what I dont get.
Might have just been lucky it was AOL compatable. There is ones they dont support that will work.

You need to get in touch with someone from AOL who knows there stuff as ive setup loads of routers with no problems on other providers but couldnt for the life of me get my mates working with AOL properly
Old 15-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Stephen_B

ahh yeah, i think i will retire for today as i cant be arsed, but will have another attempt tomorrow.

cheers