General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

flocking nightmare!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:11 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

2nd one looks amazing
Old 11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh the power of the internet......

In the past suppliers could do a shit job and the only people the flocked off customer could tell is his mates in his town.

Now a flocked off customer can tell the world... and have a real impact on someones business...
Old 11-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Alloy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People keep referring to the quality of the work here and ignoring the fact that he ( Doug ) was being a cock, what about the phone call's he obviously didn't pick up?

Does it not prove he was being sly when the lad got a few friend's to phone and the call was answered, that is seriously bad customer relationship and prove's that Doug know's he wrong, otherwise he would have answered and faught his case instead of being the coward!

Put yourself in his shoe's, wouldn't it piss you off when you know that someone has fucked up your dash and is blatently refusing to give answered to your question's by ignorance?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:15 PM
RSandy
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
For example (and im not saying it is the case) the customer says they prepped it, perhaps they left chemicals on it that caused that to happen or similar.
to clear this up before it becomes another possible finger to point at myself, my prep work involved fibreglassing and filling the choke blank and the speaker balance blanking plates, then filling and smoothing. i contacted doug and then asked what state he would like it in, and he was happy for me to use a standard panel wipe to clean off any dust and dirt. i even went so far as to research flocking, found out that inconsistent plastic colours under the flock could give an inconsistent coating, so i made sure to paint the fillered areas in UPOL dash repair paint supplied to me by a friend at ford. basically, i prepped above and beyond.

this isnt a witch hunt, and i wasnt aware the man was on holiday, maybe i should have contacted him before posting the thread, and asked for a convinient time? although i dont doubt i would have to get a number of my friends to call beforehand to see if his mobile phone is lost at sea or something similar?

it appears to me that doug is relying heavily on the good word of those in high places, when in reality focusing on the everyday consumer may have been a better bet.

but im happy enough to keep the thread alive and kicking for him to come and have his say. infact that was what i was hoping for in the 1st place

also, i should add, my refund was in actual fact not complete in its value, i paid £150, and received £125 in return, which i had to haggle for, and which would just about cover the cost of central blast reflocking the main dash, then the reflock of the black i paid out of my own pocket. that was how annoyed and bored i was with the whole situation

thanks to those who have added their support, its nice to know not everybody jumps on the bandwagon of the say so of those in high places
Old 11-02-2008, 03:19 PM
RSandy

Originally Posted by Alloy
People keep referring to the quality of the work here and ignoring the fact that he ( Doug ) was being a cock, what about the phone call's he obviously didn't pick up?

Does it not prove he was being sly when the lad got a few friend's to phone and the call was answered, that is seriously bad customer relationship and prove's that Doug know's he wrong, otherwise he would have answered and faught his case instead of being the coward!

Put yourself in his shoe's, wouldn't it piss you off when you know that someone has fucked up your dash and is blatently refusing to give answered to your question's by ignorance?
ive been wanting to say this also, but that would no doubt be seen as slanderous on my behalf lol

i had 1 friend call up off 3 different numbers in the space of a single afternoon. each time he would either get an answer or a call back. when i would try, i would get no answer, nor a call back.

this is of course what led to me being a tad suspicious, but clearly by then doug was busy badly applying flock adhesive with a roller, and then asking stevie wonder and ray charles to have a blast at it, whilst he sat listening to his ringtone over and over and over again
Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by neilm
Oh the power of the internet......

In the past suppliers could do a shit job and the only people the flocked off customer could tell is his mates in his town.

Now a flocked off customer can tell the world... and have a real impact on someones business...
and thats some companies dont realise
Old 11-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RSandy
this is of course what led to me being a tad suspicious, but clearly by then doug was busy badly applying flock adhesive with a roller, and then asking stevie wonder and ray charles to have a blast at it, whilst he sat listening to his ringtone over and over and over again

Classis line, although slightly contradictory of your first post:

before i begin, i shall point out this is in no way sladerous
Old 11-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Jumbo
Regular Contributor

Hey Andy,
Can't believe the trouble you've been through with your dash, looking mint tho in second pic. Last i heard you were stripping the car?? Obviously not Seen this thread on CM this morning, can i ask how much it roughly cost to flock?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:31 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Classis line, although slightly contradictory of your first post:

before i begin, i shall point out this is in no way sladerous
It's not sladerous, Noddy
Old 11-02-2008, 03:55 PM
RSandy

ok, i may have let slip very slightly, but i tried to not curse him directly, just his blind musically orientated helpers

jumbo, aint seen or spoke to you for ages!!!! yeah i was close to breaking the car, but just kind of kept plodding on, even with bumps in the road like this, but you gotta take the rough with the smooth i guess. im living up the pheasey too now dude if you ever fancy poppin round n welding something to something to save me doing it lol lol

the initial job at SFS was to cost £150, of which i got £125 refunded, and then spent that and more at central blast having it rectified. i think central blast charge around £200 give or take for a dash flocking, depending on the exact requirements
Old 11-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 118 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by gingeRS
i noticed alot of screen glare yesterday when i was driving my FRS around in the sunshine......i'm guessing this is the purpose of flocking??

would love to have my dash done, but would be concerened about dust as mines an everyday car, is this a problem, are they easy to clean?
Hoover it mate its very hard wearing ,do mine every time i hoover it out
,or you can wipe it down with a damp leather
Old 11-02-2008, 04:02 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

RSandy - You've obviously made this entire story up, haven't you?
I mean the alternative, poor workmanship, just isn't possible, read peoples replies.
You just want to end up in court, it's obvious....

I think he's been very restrained personally, especially as it's an 'in' company with the kind of replies in evidence here.
He's been fucked over, pretty simple I'd have thought.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:06 PM
RSandy

Originally Posted by C4llyT
I mean the alternative, poor workmanship, just isn't possible, read peoples replies.

I think he's been very restrained personally, especially as it's an 'in' company with the kind of replies in evidence here.
you caught me, guilty as charged, all an elaborate hoax to cause uproar in the popular circles.

i actually sent my dash to the local nursery on finger painting day to get the desired effect. that glue run is actually dribble

Old 11-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Chip

Thats just a pointlessly argumentative reply IMHO, no one has acused him of making anything up that ive seen?

all that will happen if you start getting like that, is the mods will move it to the spit your dummy room, and then rsandy wont be albe to reply anymore, which is hardly in his interests. IMHO
Old 11-02-2008, 04:10 PM
RSandy

Thats just a pointlessly argumentative reply IMHO, no one has acused him of making anything up that ive seen?

all that will happen if you start getting like that, is the mods will move it to the spit your dummy room, and then rsandy wont be albe to reply anymore, which is hardly in his interests. IMHO
fair point, lets keep this thread alive and kicking in full view for the return of the prophet doug of SFS fame. give him chance to hold his hands up and explain, i have no qualms doing that.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:12 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fair enough, just obvious what's happened, and it's out of order, yet as always you get people defending to the death.
There is no defense for what he's been through.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:15 PM
RSandy

cheers for the vote of confidence there dude, much appreciated
Old 11-02-2008, 04:19 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Often see threads like this, annoys me mate, have to have my say whether people like it or not
Old 11-02-2008, 06:20 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

funny how you never hear a bad word said against MSD or M.A.D and numerous others....that's because they look after their customers!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:22 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

RSandy i think your well within your rights to air your views, personaly i'm looking forward to the "defence" from Doug
Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Twins
Originally Posted by gingeRS
i noticed alot of screen glare yesterday when i was driving my FRS around in the sunshine......i'm guessing this is the purpose of flocking??

would love to have my dash done, but would be concerened about dust as mines an everyday car, is this a problem, are they easy to clean?
Hoover it mate its very hard wearing ,do mine every time i hoover it out
,or you can wipe it down with a damp leather
i am really considering it, as it was really annoying when driving out in the sunshine on saturday. depends if i can be bothered
Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It looks to me like Doug's been ill, and his mind has not been on the job, and work has suffered - which can happen to us all.

However, i have seen numerous posts on various forums, where he has slagged other companies for there workmanship, saying that they are crap because they don't use the proper electrostatic gun etc - which i have always thought was a little unprofessional.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
funny how you never hear a bad word said against MSD or M.A.D and numerous others....that's because they look after their customers!
Not true at all, there was a thread on here slagging off MSD, and it seemed to be equally "cut and dry" until Stu came on and gave his side of the story.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:38 PM
RSandy

Originally Posted by Rick
It looks to me like Doug's been ill, and his mind has not been on the job, and work has suffered - which can happen to us all.

However, i have seen numerous posts on various forums, where he has slagged other companies for there workmanship, saying that they are crap because they don't use the proper electrostatic gun etc - which i have always thought was a little unprofessional.
yeah, i too have been shown a couple of posts on various forums of dougs comments on this. which confused me a tad, because if he has better equipment, why does he use a roller to apply glue and not a spray gun? and how is it other companies can get flock into the tighter areas that doug openly admits he cant? hell, he didnt even get coverage in the areas he said he could!!

very confusing, but yet again, only the man himself doug can answer the ever increasing number of questions
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 PM
GaryEvo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

ive sent mine to these guys www.centralblastcleaning.co.uk,they quoted us a week so fingers crossed it comes back as good as yours turned out mate
Old 13-02-2008, 01:19 PM
GaryEvo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

so far so good,ive had a couple of calls to check things are right,i just paided for it at a great price and reckon it has to dry for a couple of days and i should have back for tuesday next week.

will post pics then
Old 13-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Taylor
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

RSandy More than entitled to air your opinion mate!

Fair do's that Doug has done alot of cracking jobs for people and had alot of people bigging up his work but just because he has done a bad job for someone dosen't mean that he is immune from having that posted either to state that he has done a bad job!
Fair enough the courier may be at fault somewhere along the lines however from what i have read it looks to me as if SFS are more to blame. Illness is fair enough but it states that he was ill for 2 weeks and it took 7 to get the dash back so that still leaves 5 unaccounted for. Other people phoning and getting answers makes the situation a whole lot worse as to me that is just blatant ignorance and as for the quality of the work received then that speaks for itself.
Old 13-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosworth Rallyesport
central blast cleaning would be my only port of call for flocking,there workmanship is top class.
I believe CBC do a lot of contract flocking for Prodrive
Old 13-02-2008, 05:13 PM
RSandy

Originally Posted by Gary @ APT
ive sent mine to these guys www.centralblastcleaning.co.uk,they quoted us a week so fingers crossed it comes back as good as yours turned out mate
mate, i dropped mine off on the saturday, she said she hoped to have it flocked by wednesday, then i got a phone call on the monday saying it was done, and she just wanted a couple of days for the 2 pack adhesive to cure properly. i went down on the friday, and it was sat there wrapped up ready for me.

so yeah, if they say it will be done, it will be done

get some pics up as and when you get it back

and yeah, they do do a lot of contract work, i heard the names prodrive and ascari mentioned among others
Old 13-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Chris Honeywell

Thats a shit job and you had to wait 7 weeks and lose out £25
Old 13-02-2008, 06:39 PM
RSandy

1 hell of an equation dont u think
Old 13-02-2008, 08:33 PM
fishspeed
Regular Contributor

Iv heard and seen good stuff from central blast,

but QualPlast Ltd is the one for me http://www.applegate.co.uk/company/00/23/622.htm
had my turbo dash and other bits done by them about a week ago 2day turn around and top work as normal and it my second dash iv had done by them and cant fault them cheap too.
they do a lot of work for the rally teams i.e prodrive and msport
getting friendly with them too was looking at the new dash they was flocking for the aston martins for the 24 hour lmon nice lads
Old 14-02-2008, 04:24 PM
RSandy

i live within 2 miles of that qualplast place!!!!!! that is taking unlucky to a whole new level!!!

iv driven to and from suffolk, and then to and from banbury twice, and that place is within walking distance from my house!!

how much they charge you to do your dash dude? and you got any pics?
Old 27-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm afraid i have to hold my hands up to this one.

I am indeed a one man band and two weeks in bed caused me a serious problem.

The back log of work it caused was imense to the point where i put in two 70 hour weeks before i went on holiday.

When Andy dropped the dash of he stated there was no hurry which so with other customers screaming for work his dash got put down the list.

I did however coat all the black parts at the end of another run.

I ordered in some dark grey flock. I asked for dark grey and they sent me Pantone colour 403 which is titled dark grey.

When Andy text me to say he needed the dash i was still pretty ill and work was stacking up so i inlisted some help to get some dashes coated and packed up and sent out. The person tried very hard to help me out but struggled to get everything sorted eg courier deliveries round their own job and didn't have the experience coating i did.

When Andy left a message (i was driving) i was back to full health and rang him back within a couple of minutes. He stated that he was not happy with the finish or colour of the grey.

I imediatly offered for him to return the dash at my cost to have it re prepped and coated but Andy wanted a refund which he is perfectly entitled to. Andy had already said in the coversation that he was more than happy with the finish of the black parts which were about 50% of the job so we agreed on a refund of £125 (84%).

I did drop the ball on this one and i apologise to Andy.

I have been flocking now for nearly 3 years and hopefully you will see (maybe from a simple google) that my happy customers far far out way any unhappy ones.

Doug - still on holiday til monday.
Old 27-02-2008, 07:09 PM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Shocking job first time round. Looks superb when back from central blast.

RSandy- if u dont mind me askinghow much did u pay to have that done?

Whats it like for keeping clean? Do people just v gently hoover theirs when hoovering the car out? lol