General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Doing donuts....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Doing donuts....

Proper controlled ones round an object, not just a car park chav special of firing it round randomly wherever it ends I mean.

Why is it so much harder to do it going anticlockwise than going clockwise!

Ive been told its because our brains are accustomed to righthand circles from roundabouts, so was wondering if anyone from a LHD country has found the opposite?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Cowboi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i do donuts all the time, found the ring ones easier.

jam ones just remind me of that time of the month
Old 10-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Alex_86
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Cowboi
i do donuts all the time, found the ring ones easier.

jam ones just remind me of that time of the month
i eat them all the time
Old 10-01-2008, 12:32 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never noticed the direction of rotation causing difficulty before but now it has been brought to my attention I realise that anti-clockwise requires a bit more effort. Well noticed Chip, Ill be interested to see what comes from this.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 PM
89xr2
Brap!

I don't think it's got anything to do with roundabouts imho. It's just a natural "feeling", personally i find both ways about the same with anticlockwise being slightly more natural.

You find the same thing with snowboarding, skateboarding, bmx, mountain bikes etc. Somethings just feel natural like standing left or right foot forward on a snowboard. Some people are ambidextrous.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chip you've just gone and shattered my theory(read excuse) gravitational forces and being in the northern hemesphere haha
Old 10-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

cos in a rhd car you can clearly see the object your going round when going clockwise

counterclockwise its harder to see where the front end of the car is.

i think i smashed the rear bumper off down your place when drifting to the left, so thats my excuse
Old 10-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Chip

Intersting point about the skating and boarding.

I ride both skateboards and snowboards with my right foot forward (aka Goofy) and find it easier clockwise donutting.

Would be interesting if there was a correlation!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:09 PM
89xr2
Brap!

I board right foot forward and spin on a board/bike anticlockwise, same way i find slightly easier to donut. I do only have limited rwd and donut experience though but definitely found anticlockwise slightly more natural the few times i've had a go at trying to drift in my mates car.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:10 PM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

When I used to drift my 2wd Cos I prefered the rear end stepping out anti-clockwise. Roundabouts are the wrong way for me
Old 10-01-2008, 01:24 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

In a car I would say it is because you as sat at the centre of the turing cirlce so will feel more natural and your brain will find it easier to co-ordinate the car in a circle.

Not sure why on a skateboard
Old 10-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

I taught my mum how to donut the other day in the Skyline. She did one as well in a slightly damp empty station carpark last saturday!

as well as driving my 996 at 111mph on way home from Donno with me sound asleep in Passenger seat on the 27th dec!

She is 60! we call her Turbo Nan now

I'm gonna get her donuts on Film!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

do you think it could be connected to the water in the toilet thing??

turning the opp way north of the equator
Old 10-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by matts1
In a car I would say it is because you as sat at the centre of the turing cirlce so will feel more natural and your brain will find it easier to co-ordinate the car in a circle.

Not sure why on a skateboard
Well known fact on a skateboard, its as simple as being left handed or right handed, in a LHD drive car im confident I would find it more natural to still drift clockwise despite being sat further from the cone.

LOL @ Porkie, fair play to her, but thats not the sort of donut I mean, lol
Old 10-01-2008, 01:29 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Porkie - turbo nan

get the vids up
Old 10-01-2008, 01:29 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Originally Posted by matts1
do you think it could be connected to the water in the toilet thing??

turning the opp way north of the equator
Its just what feels natural to you, writing with your left hand, kicking with your right foot.. it's just natural instict imo
Old 10-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

being goofy or regular spinning backsided or frontsided has nothing to do with being left or right handed. Just down to personal preferance & practice! I suspect alot like drifting!

***edited spelling
Old 10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Andy_R
being goofy or regular spinning backsided or front sideed has nothing to do with being left or right handed. Just down to personal preferance & practice! I suspect alot like drifting!
You misunderstood me.

Being goofy or regular is as predefind in your brain as being left handed or right handed is, I wasnt saying all left handed people are regular or vice versa though.

Its set out when you are born, and nothing to do with practice.

If you are left handed and try and force yourself to do things right handed, you will do them FAR less well.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

oops should have been an edit!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM
jb fletch
MAD Carbon Cossie

I skate & Snowboard Goofy, i.e. right foot forward !

Donuttin, i've always felt more natural anti-clockwise, put it down to me being able to look out the window properly

Well done to Porkie ! ! ! I'd love to show me Mum how to but she can't even drive & screams the second the car starts movin anyways ! ! !

But don't post the vids up, your'd get called a chavvy c**t blah blah blah

Suprised Chip hasn't been jus for askin the question !

jb
Old 10-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Chip

Im on about donuts as a technical exercise like you would do on a DWYB day, not chavvy carpark ones like porkies mum and you do
Old 10-01-2008, 01:42 PM
jb fletch
MAD Carbon Cossie

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Im on about donuts as a technical exercise like you would do on a DWYB day, not chavvy carpark ones like porkies mum and you do
Chip, WHAT ever ! ! ! (said like Cathrine Tate bird) lol lol lol

I've seen the you tube vid of you in your Nova in a carpark too ya know !

Unless that was an early technical exercise to pratice the theroy of the controlled spin ? ? ?

jb
Old 10-01-2008, 01:44 PM
89xr2
Brap!

being goofy or regular spinning backsided or front sideed has nothing to do with being left or right handed. Just down to personal preferance & practice! I suspect alot like drifting!
You misunderstood me.

Being goofy or regular is as predefind in your brain as being left handed or right handed is, I wasnt saying all left handed people are regular or vice versa though.

If you are left handed and try and force yourself to do things right handed, you will do them FAR less well.
Agreed, say with bmx (as it's what i'm most familiar with) It is "normal" for people to ride right foot forward and spin anti clockwise or ride left foot forward and spin clockwise, however i know people who break these rules and ride left foot forward spin anticlockwise or vice versa. I've also found that for the latter these people also find it alot easier to spin the other way to their natural direction. Whereas I for example find it extremely difficult to spin in my opposite direction and as a result look like a complete spacker trying I also know riders who dont follow either rule, they can alternate between right or left foot forward and spin either direction totally naturally.

To some extent most people follow the normal rules but its definitely not set in stone.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by jb fletch
Chip, WHAT ever ! ! ! (said like Cathrine Tate bird) lol lol lol

I've seen the you tube vid of you in your Nova in a carpark too ya know !

jb
Busted
Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I did misunderstand you YUP, cheers for making your point clearer
Old 10-01-2008, 01:47 PM
jb fletch
MAD Carbon Cossie

@ Chip

Chav
Old 10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by 89xr2
You misunderstood me.

Agreed, say with bmx (as it's what i'm most familiar with) It is "normal" for people to ride right foot forward and spin anti clockwise or ride left foot forward and spin clockwise, however i know people who break these rules and ride left foot forward spin anticlockwise or vice versa. I've also found that for the latter these people also find it alot easier to spin the other way to their natural direction. Whereas I for example find it extremely difficult to spin in my opposite direction and as a result look like a complete spacker trying I also know riders who dont follow either rule, they can alternate between right or left foot forward and spin either direction totally naturally.

To some extent most people follow the normal rules but its definitely not set in stone.
I was actually a pretty good skateboarder, put a lot of time into it and could do most of the more difficult tricks of the day etc, such as kickflips and the like, however I was rubbish at even the more basic stuff if riding "regular" I just really couldnt do it, so maybe im one of those people who has a very clearly defined right and wrong way round to do things that its hard to go against and so will never be good at anticlockwise donuts!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Chip

I did misunderstand you YUP, cheers for making your point clearer
No worries, I should have worded it better in the first place.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque reaction from the engine aiding one way, but hindering the other?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:50 PM
jb fletch
MAD Carbon Cossie

You misunderstood me.

I was actually a pretty good skateboarder, put a lot of time into it and could do most of the more difficult tricks of the day etc, such as kickflips and the like, however I was rubbish at even the more basic stuff if riding "regular" I just really couldnt do it, so maybe im one of those people who has a very clearly defined right and wrong way round to do things that its hard to go against and so will never be good at anticlockwise donuts!
Only one way to find out

I'll bring the camera or get Cabrio Boy to do it ! ! !

jb
Old 10-01-2008, 01:52 PM
89xr2
Brap!

You misunderstood me.

I was actually a pretty good skateboard, put a lot of time into it and could do most of the more difficult tricks of the day etc, such as kickflips and the like, however I was rubbish at even the more basic stuff if riding "regular" I just really couldnt do it, so maybe im one of those people who has a very clearly defined right and wrong way round to do things that its hard to go against and so will never be good at anticlockwise donuts!
Quite possibly, although i'm exactly the same as you when it comes to a skateboard or snowboard or my bike yet I find with driving one direction is only slightly more natural, although that is the same direction as with skating etc.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
No, its definately just me, NOT the car at fault in this instance, as other people at the same drift practice using the same car were able to do it.

The clockwise ones I could do perfectly, I could hold it with the cone a foot from the car and do 30 revolutions if I wanted, or I could swing out wide and do it at 10 foot away, or I could bring it in and out as I wished to whatever radius I wished, then the anticlockwise ones, I just couldnt do properly at all.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:53 PM
jb fletch
MAD Carbon Cossie

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Like the spinning of the prop adding centrefugal forces ? ? ? Spelling ! lol
Old 10-01-2008, 02:00 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i cant explain it,
Old 10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The Japanese are better than us folks here in the UK at drifting because.....

They are closer to the Equator than us
Old 10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
89xr2
Brap!

I don't think you've mentioned it, or I might have missed it but Chip, when you used to skate did you Spin Anticlockwise naturally? Because that was always my reasoning for me finding it easier in a car to spin that way as well, but if thats not the case with you thats my theory out of the window as well.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:03 PM
89xr2
Brap!

The Japanese are better than us folks here in the UK at drifting because.....

They are closer to the Equator than us
Being so short? Or because of where japan is in the world?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Chip

I don't think you've mentioned it, or I might have missed it but Chip, when you used to skate did you Spin Anticlockwise naturally? Because that was always my reasoning for me finding it easier in a car to spin that way as well, but if thats not the case with you thats my theory out of the window as well.
I span more naturally clockwise (ie with my back in the centre of the circle due to riding goofy), and I drift more naturally clockwise as well.

When I used to slide on the skateboard (ie 4 wheel slide) I did that facing forward, so again my "initiation" to the slide (to use a drift term) was the same as it would be for a clockwise donut.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

thats a good point actually, i ride right foot forwards and can endo/stoppie round clockwise, but can i fuck do it the other way

also, on sunday i went to the forest of dean mountain biking, there i fell off to the left, and the week before that i fell off to the right, so i guess im ambidextrous at crashing
Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 PM
89xr2
Brap!

In that case my theory is still intact! although Spinning anticlockwise is usually the more "normal" of the two when riding goofy. So it could also explain why you find the same thing with drifting yet i do the exact opposite to you.