General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

motorway driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motorway driving

I've been cover driving LGV 1 @ my m8's firm for the last week and it hasn't taken too long for me to start remembering y I gave it up for living a good few years ago,

1:TOO many wankers on the motorways sit in the middle lane be it cars/vans OR truckers,
2ther truckers with speed LIMITERS set to same or very close to the other truck but WON'T lift off the gas to let the other one overtake REALLY PISSES me of.

still only got 2 more days left to cover!
Old 12-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Lee R
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default Re: motorway driving

Originally Posted by Alvyn
2ther truckers with speed LIMITERS set to same or very close to the other truck but WON'T lift off the gas to let the other one overtake REALLY PISSES me of.

still only got 2 more days left to cover!
I'm class 1 HGV also.

why should the truck let off to let the other one overtake? If the truck in lane 1 slows,, then he has to slow even more to put a safe gap between him and the over-taker once he has pulled in, in the mean time, other trucks behind have caught up and have had to go into lane 2 and slow down......all to let 1 truck past?

if you havnt got enough in reserve to get past, dont overtake
Old 12-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Lee R

Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Lee R

Originally Posted by Deano

dont get me wrong, , I WILL overtake only if its 1 mph faster (cos 1mph is 'enough in reserve' ), but only on a 3 lane Motorway , cos then all other traffic have another lane

but saying that, i'm a night driver, under half the traffic, and 'slow' overtaking doesnt have so much of an impact
Old 12-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

LEE R
I'm class 1 HGV also.

why should the truck let off to let the other one overtake?

1:help to keep the m/way moving freely for starters

2: Give way to YOUR o/side traffic are YOU not (especially if it been beside you for about 2 or 3 miles)
Old 12-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Lee R

LEE R

2: Give way to YOUR o/side traffic are YOU not (especially if it been beside you for about 2 or 3 miles)
nah bugger that. If someone puts THEMSELVES in that position, they can lift off slightly and tuck in behind, its alot easier on all the other traffic too
Old 12-10-2004, 01:24 PM
sjoyce666

why should you slow to let someone in that hasnt got enough puff to get past you ?

Scott

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2004, 01:33 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

[quote="Lee R"] I WILL overtake only if its 1 mph faster (cos 1mph is 'enough in reserve' ), but only on a 3 lane Motorway , cos then all other traffic have another lane

quote]

Its that kind of shitty attitue that jams up the motorway....two fucking trucks blocking up a 3 lane motorway and leaving a 1 lane gap for the cars just so they can use their extra 0.3mph to pass and then get slipstreamed and overtaken again

Should be limited to the inside lane like on the continent
Old 12-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

agree with last comment, every night you see lorrys trying hard to overtake, with niether giving way and causing congestion , also why is it lorrie
drive stupidly close to each other, surly there is no way some of these lorries could avoid a smash, if the lory in front locked up?
Old 12-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Lee R

[quote="MattRS1600i"]
I WILL overtake only if its 1 mph faster (cos 1mph is 'enough in reserve' ), but only on a 3 lane Motorway , cos then all other traffic have another lane

quote]

Its that kind of shitty attitue that jams up the motorway....two fucking trucks blocking up a 3 lane motorway and leaving a 1 lane gap for the cars just so they can use their extra 0.3mph to pass and then get slipstreamed and overtaken again

Should be limited to the inside lane like on the continent
and its that sort of shitty attitude from someone probably never even climbed up into a cab before...

as I've already said, i'm a night driver, it could take me 15 miles to overtake someone and it would have caused NO-ONE any hassle
Old 12-10-2004, 02:42 PM
It's Czech Mate

fair play if it's at night......but....I see it day in day out on half empty motorways that get tailbacks purely because of two or three trucks or lorries being bloody minded.

I'm not wrong either. I will stick 100% by my asserion that if goods vehicles were kept in one lane only then the motorways would be a lot more free moving.

Having said that fucking rubber knecking at accidents is almost as bad

TBH I am appalled at the standard of driving everytime I head out on to the Motorway.....
Old 12-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Lee R

Originally Posted by MattRS1600i
fair play if it's at night......but....I see it day in day out on half empty motorways that get tailbacks purely because of two or three trucks or lorries being bloody minded.

I'm not wrong either. I will stick 100% by my asserion that if goods vehicles were kept in one lane only then the motorways would be a lot more free moving.

TBH I am appalled at the standard of driving everytime I head out on to the Motorway.....
and I will stick 100% by my asserion that if car driver 'planned ahead' they'd all fit past in 1 lane...if cars done this then lorries passing each other (why the fuck should they be resticted to 1 lane cos car drivers cant 'plan'?) would cause no problems

you're right about being appauled though, some of it is just unbelievable
Old 12-10-2004, 02:50 PM
3drbadboy

LEE R

2 or 3 miles ???????
you mean 20 or 30 miles
Old 12-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

tis very annoying when you get stuck in a jam just becasue of a lorry overtaking...

it'd take SECONDS if the other lorry backed off a little bit
Old 12-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

and I will stick 100% by my asserion that if car driver 'planned ahead' they'd all fit past in 1 lane...if cars done this then lorries passing each other (why the fuck should they be resticted to 1 lane cos car drivers cant 'plan'?) would cause no problems

sorry mate, but not only cars, if lorry drivers actually used their mirrors and looked for on coming cars rather than just pulling out, as I see that nearly every night on the M1. I myself have nearly been smaked by a lorry who just pulled into my lane in heavy traffic, nealry smacking my car, a few years ago a lorry tried to ram me off the motorway in my RST cos i flashed the cunt and hooted him for doing the same thing, when i swerved out in to the fast lane and pulled in front of him and slowed coause of heavy traffic (M! jct 7l lol) he actually hit the back of the RS turbo, luckily my wife shouted that he was speeding up rather than slowing and as he touched the car I was swerved in to the hard shoulder
Old 12-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Lee R

lorry driver do use their mirrors....at least I do

my rule of thumb is indicate for 5 flashes, if the car hasnt moved, i'm going over...(obviously not in heavy traffic)

car drivers have no idea how long it takes to get back up to limiter if we have to brake cos a car wont move across to let us out, again, causing problems for the traffic behind
Old 12-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i suspose tho it s like everything, you get good driver and bad in both lorries and cars really, of course I am a good driver
Old 12-10-2004, 03:07 PM
Lee R

Originally Posted by Gra
i suspose tho it s like everything, you get good driver and bad in both lorries and cars really, of course I am a good driver
certainly.

It wouldnt help to include the 'understanding of lorries' as part of the car test. So many people think we can just do the same as a car
Old 12-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Gra
certainly.

It wouldnt help to include the 'understanding of lorries' as part of the car test. So many people think we can just do the same as a car
what you mean lorries and cars a re different? please explain,
Old 12-10-2004, 03:39 PM
It's Czech Mate

Rubbish. How is three lanes of cars in moderate traffic going to fit through one lane by careful planning?

They do it on the continent because it works

Lorries overtaking causes tailbacks.....if you cant see why you need your eyes testing.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Lee R

Rubbish. How is three lanes of cars in moderate traffic going to fit through one lane by careful planning?

:

its called merging in turn, I bet you push to the front at roadworks too
Old 12-10-2004, 03:55 PM
It's Czech Mate

Not at all, i am very used to driving in heavy traffic as i work in Birmingham city centre.......but dont you think making three lanes of traffic merge into one just so a lorry can get half a yard advantage over another a bit selfish considering the disruption it causes?

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.........overtaking lorries do cause tailbacks....fact.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:14 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

They do it on the continent because it works

Lorries overtaking causes tailbacks.....if you cant see why you need your eyes testing.
I agree. Not all non-lorry traffic will be at (or above )70mph - so when the slower, but not 56mph slow, people are trying to overtake you 2 slow ass trucks, you are going to get tailbacks.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry but cars are the biggest cock up on motorways ... they drive at the fastest they think they can get away with .. then when a slower van or lorry moves to overtake then they get all arsey , flashing their lights etc as they have had to slow down.... from their 90 mph to 70 or even 65 mph ....
i have had a driving job of sorts for the last 15 years, inc 7.5 tonners , cars, vans and also im provisional holder of a lgv , i have had to sit there and watch the arsehole in the car next to me who seems to think its funny to overtake a 44 tonne truck at 3 mph faster then me having to lift off before i run into the next twat doing 50 mph in his little old persons car ....

or the boy racer type / sales rep that leaves it untill the latest possible time to get off ... then cuts me up because they cant or wont pay attention or think as to what they are doing ...... aaargggghhhhhhhhhhhhh .... its bloody infuriating

i hate bloody driving for a living but the job im doing pays well so i cant say no
Old 13-10-2004, 01:59 AM
and.rs1800
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

lee r,perhaps you should try lifting off to let overtaking lorry get by.i do it all the time because for one thing its curteous! before you condem it just try lifting off for about 4-5 seconds,job done.wont make any difference to your journeytime,but might for people stuck behind overtaking lorry and mattrs1600i,what fucking planet are you on?..."if all goods vehicles were kept in one lane motorways would be a more free moving"!!!! what twice as many lorries in the slow lane? how the fuck do you think you'll get on or exit the motorway with long lorry jam in slow lane? some lorries can drop to about 30mph(or less) on severe gradients(mine does),this would mean that even the more powerful were reduced to the speed of the slowest.also open your eyes when your'e driving on a motorway,have you never seen a lorry move out to middle lane to let slower moving traffic on? couldnt do this under your well thought out proposal still 100% convinced?perhaps you would confine lorries to the outside lane instead!! i'm 100% convinced you dont have a clue what your talking about
Old 13-10-2004, 06:49 AM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by sjoyce666
why should you slow to let someone in that hasnt got enough puff to get past you ?

Scott
that's why the standard of driving in this country has dropped SO BADLY if so many people think like you
Old 13-10-2004, 06:56 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by and.rs1800
,have you never seen a lorry move out to middle lane to let slower moving traffic on? couldnt do this under your well thought out proposal still 100% convinced?perhaps you would confine lorries to the outside lane instead!! i'm 100% convinced you dont have a clue what your talking about
If the trucks left the braking distance they should, then there would be no need to move into the second lane.
Old 13-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Blunt
Part of the Furniture

Nice to see am not the only class 1 driver
when safe to do so i slow down like and.rs1800 just for a sec or 2 to let another truck in and trucks do it to me
this my seem sad but i checked the mileage once then converted it and the longest i took to over take was 5 miles
if cars kept to the legal speed limit / stop ruber knecking / left enough brake distance / stopped pulling infront of vechiles at the last min to exit the motorway and stamping on the brakes / kept to the near side lane while not overtakeing / used the mirrors and indicators / stopped undertaking LGV around roundabouts causeing them to brake or stop when a LGV is in the right lane turning left cause he / her has to wait the list goes on and on
people that have actaully been in trucks have said it open there eyes to what S**TE we have to put up with
you could blame trucks for tail backs on single roads cause even though its national speed limit for cars its 40mph for trucks
Old 13-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Lee R

well said Blunt.
Old 13-10-2004, 11:18 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by and.rs1800
: and mattrs1600i,what fucking planet are you on?..."if all goods vehicles were kept in one lane motorways would be a more free moving"!!!!
The same fucking planet as most of the Europe mate....it works pretty well over there.....

I think the car vs lorry argument is a bit silly tho....it's down to the standards of each individual driver......which is generally poor IMHO
Old 13-10-2004, 11:20 AM
nomad

hgv CAN overtake on motorways on the continent,
if you catch another truck then obviously your going faster than he is, its only the headwind that stops you fully overtaking quickly, if he backs off for a second you are then on your merry way again, cheers nomad
Old 13-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well said Blunt.
seconded
Old 13-10-2004, 06:44 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about trucks tbh but two fucking vans pissed me about today due to they're fooking shite driving attitude! One was i indicated to over take pull out, and he pulled right in front of me, no indicator bugger all, i had to slow down and then struggled to get up the fooking hill!

The other penis speeded up when i went to overtake

Not to mention the other cock in a Micra who reveresed into me then fooking drove off, minimal damage so couldn't be arsed to report despite having the reg as i was sitting in the fooking car at the time!
Old 13-10-2004, 11:47 PM
and.rs1800
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

st3v3 c,"if trucks left braking distance they should,would be no need for them to move over to second lane" if i move over to second lane to let traffic on from a slip road,its got fuck all to do with braking distance cos there not even in front of me til they join main carriageway,and secondly,read a fucking highway code you cock and you might read in it something about "traffic on main carriageway has right of way over traffic joining from slip road"!!!!! i dont have to move over at all,i do it out of common sense.matt rs1600i,you must know so much about traffic volumes on motorways etc because you've" worked in birmingham city centre" next you'll be saying we should move frieght from road onto railways ha ha ha ha.at least in your planet europe professional drivers are treated as such and not like second class citizens as they are here (by fools like you) lee r : what about easing off for a few seconds to let other lorries pass then? as blunt says only takes a few moments
Old 14-10-2004, 01:03 AM
djskitzy
Regular Contributor

so no-one heard of common sense, then?
I drove 7.5tonners for 10 years, yeh you get caught out sometimes when you go for an overtake, and you find you aint got the speed. shit happens. You just have to use the noodles in yer head, admit defeat, and drop back in, then proppa slipstream the mother-fucker, and have him after the brow!