General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Stu's Coil pack works fine now, Not his fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Stu's Coil pack works fine now, Not his fault

Tried calling Stu on his landline and mobile but no answer, he must be busy.

Anyone know how to sort the rev counter issue? It's a K plate Sapphire and we have carried out the 'solder a wire onto the curcuit board' modification that Stu told me about but the rev counter still works at half speed.

All the other cars we have done this to have had aftermarket rev counters so I have not had to tackle this issue previously.... And before a smart ass says use an aftermarket rev counter... that is NOT an option.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use an aftermarket rev counter mate

Old 06-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Richie.
aka Turbosailorboy

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Stu's Coil pack and Rev counter slow, how to make it wor

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
Tried calling Stu on his landline and mobile but no answer, he must be busy.

Anyone know how to sort the rev counter issue? It's a K plate Sapphire and we have carried out the 'solder a wire onto the curcuit board' modification that Stu told me about but the rev counter still works at half speed.

All the other cars we have done this to have had aftermarket rev counters so I have not had to tackle this issue previously.... And before a smart ass says use an aftermarket rev counter... that is NOT an option.
Done the coilpack conversion on a few friends cars and sometimes the rev counter will not work no matter what you do
Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Spoke to Martin and hopefully all is well and it was an external issue not related to the driver at all.

Originally Posted by B9KOS
Done the coilpack conversion on a few friends cars and sometimes the rev counter will not work no matter what you do
Everyone reading please note the "Sometimes"
The tachs are normally perfectly ok on later cars.
Its the early 25yr old ones that are the biggest problem., but for reference the main issues with the tach drive are:

1) Supressor in the green wire not removed.
2) Supressor IS removed but green wires not reconnected to each other.
3) Power input to pin 20 too low. (sub 13v)
4) Wire to tach in poor condition in engine bay. (Advise wire direct to driver)
5) Rear of tach mod not performed.

Hope this helps somebody, but if not you have 2 options.

1) Send Tach to Speedy Cables in London area for recal to WS config.
2) Fit any aftermarket tach.
3) Fit tach signal convertor unit.
4) Fit tach from WS Ford such as granada so athetics are retained.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Richie.
aka Turbosailorboy

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Its the early 25yr old ones that are the biggest problem
No dig intended Stu Just typical none of the ones we did worked
Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Not taken as one Richie.
You sorted them yet mate? Dont live with no tach, they are all fixable using one of the mentioned methods. If i need to flash the units to version 1.2 then i will do no problem as they are better at tach drive than the very early models.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 AM
mk3matt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

mines a g reg fezzy and works at half speed...grrrrrrrr!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

feista's are easy to sort as you can just swap the whole clock unit for a coilpack clock, as fiesta ran coilpacks.

seirra didnt so this is the pain, otherwise it would be an easy fix like yours matt
Old 06-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by mk3matt
mines a g reg fezzy and works at half speed...grrrrrrrr!
The WS driver cant run it at half speed mate. Must be wired wrong.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Ryan
seirra didnt so this is the pain, otherwise it would be an easy fix like yours matt
Sierra scan be apparently sent to speedy cables. Fixed for about Ł25. Its never a drama pal.
Richie.
aka Turbosailorboy

Not taken as one Richie.
You sorted them yet mate? Dont live with no tach, they are all fixable using one of the mentioned methods. If i need to flash the units to version 1.2 then i will do no problem as they are better at tach drive than the very early models.
Sorted We all have STACK rev counters now
mk3matt

dont wanna high jack the threadbut.... as mine is a poor spec car i didnt even have the green wire going into the back of the dials!!!!!!!, its running of the green wire in the engine bay!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

It's sorted now, just needed to put the rev counter signal wire in the right hole on the ecu plug, it's a Ryan loom and he mistakenly thought the Sapphire was on P8.

Rev counter works fine and just so everyone knows this was not an issue with Stu's parts
Old 06-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Richie.
aka Turbosailorboy

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
It's sorted now, just needed to put the rev counter signal wire in the right hole on the ecu plug, it's a Ryan loom and he mistakenly thought the Sapphire was on P8.

Rev counter works fine and just so everyone knows this was not an issue with Stu's parts

Had my coilpack conversion for over 12 months and not had a miss fire since
Old 06-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

dont wanna high jack the threadbut.... as mine is a poor spec car i didnt even have the green wire going into the back of the dials!!!!!!!, its running of the green wire in the engine bay!
Hmm... This is why you have no tach drive.
Was the driver a diy install, and if so, what wire was connected to pin 21? The grey one?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

glad its all sorted

happy days
Old 06-12-2007, 11:42 AM
mk3matt

Was the driver a diy install, and if so, what wire was connected to pin 21? The grey one?
i installed it it revs to a max of 2800rpm, i attached to the green wire which was what i was advised, there was 2 green wires going into the bulkhead from the engie bay, but theyt do not reach the back of the rev counter.

martin, glad yours is sorted mate!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

i installed it it revs to a max of 2800rpm, i attached to the green wire which was what i was advised, there was 2 green wires going into the bulkhead from the engine bay, but theyt do not reach the back of the rev counter.

Not be me you werent, that green wire on your car is attached to the negative side of the coils!!

You need to connect pin 21 to the tach and only the tach mate as per the instructions. The problem is, you may well have damaged the driver now by connecting it to the coils.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:57 PM
mk3matt

i installed it it revs to a max of 2800rpm, i attached to the green wire which was what i was advised, there was 2 green wires going into the bulkhead from the engine bay, but theyt do not reach the back of the rev counter.

Not be me you werent, that green wire on your car is attached to the negative side of the coils!!

You need to connect pin 21 to the tach and only the tach mate as per the instructions. The problem is, you may well have damaged the driver now by connecting it to the coils.
bugger so jus to comfirm ( sorry im a bit of an amatur (( no sh!t)) its a grey wire? how do i identify pin 21? cheers for your help mate
Old 06-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

bugger so jus to comfirm ( sorry im a bit of an amatur (( no sh!t)) its a grey wire? how do i identify pin 21? cheers for your help mate
No need to appologie mate.
If you installed the driver in teh ecu, you must have soldered a wire to pin 21 and cut the pin internally thus isolating it from the ecu motherboard? This was pin 21. They are labelled both inside teh case and inside the ecu multiplug on he sides once the cover is removed.

This pin is ALL that should be connected to your tach. Forget that green wire. Alternatively, leave wiring as it is, isolate pin 21 from harness and install a Fiesta XR2i or RST set of clocks.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
mk3matt

If you installed the driver in teh ecu, you must have soldered a wire to pin 21 and cut the pin internally thus isolating it from the ecu motherboard? This was pin 21. They are labelled both inside teh case and inside the ecu multiplug on he sides once the cover is removed.

This pin is ALL that should be connected to your tach. Forget that green wire. Alternatively, leave wiring as it is, isolate pin 21 from harness and install a Fiesta XR2i or RST set of clocks.
ah, this may be where theres a problem...i dont have an ecu i got a manual choke
Old 06-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

ah, this may be where theres a problem...i dont have an ecu i got a manual choke
Erm, hang on a minute... this topic is about wasted spark driver in weber marelli ecu's Do you have one of those?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:22 PM
mk3matt

erm...no, damn sorry...right ill start a new thread in a moment with a pic *muppet*
Old 06-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Old 06-12-2007, 01:32 PM
mk3matt

Sorry!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

No harm done, only a flesh wound.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:44 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 06-12-2007, 01:52 PM
mk3matt

LOL!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:44 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

up to bookmark this
Old 10-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
up to bookmark this
??
Old 10-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
up to bookmark this
??
Probably doing what I do Stu - post in a thread that might prove usefull to re-read at a later time. Posting in it makes it show in the threads you posted in when you click "VIEW MY POSTS"

If I find a thread with info in it I might want later, I just post a smiley or something so I can easily find it later
Old 10-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 10-12-2007, 06:51 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

No harm done, only a flesh wound.