General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Driving related court case. Advice and thoughts needed.

Search this Thread

Old 26-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Ian M500COS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving related court case. Advice and thoughts needed.

Where do I start. Ok.....A relative of a very good friend of mine has been stopped by the police – just a regular late night/stop check and was given a regular producer! Well you may be asking “Yeah…and?”… but the idiot has just dropped a little confession…… he has never ever passed his driving test! I know he’s an idiot – and I have told him 500+ times - and you lot are very right for also saying that he’s a king sized knob etc.

But….. he took his test and failed years ago. On the grounds that he is a nervous wreck in exams and tests etc and can't handle pressure. He’s 23 now and has been driving for 5 years “undetected”!! I’ve even been in his car and I didn’t realise!! He drove perfectly!

My question to you lot is …….what’s he gonna get! He has to go to court a few days before Christmas! He’s just a young lad who’s been very stupid. He’s thinking of just pleading guilty by post. I say he should do the adult thing.... beg forgiveness, offer to donate a kidney to the court service, and kiss arse…. And take his bloody test! Just like we all had to!

On the court form it says in the normal legal gobbledegoop but what I interpret as:

1) Failing to produce driving licence
2) Driving without correct driving licence
3) No Insurance

Now I really do detest those that drive uninsured but he has actually got insurance! I assume that the no insurance charge has been brought about by driving without a qualified driver alongside him??

Again, I know he’s been a prick (and so have his parents – if they knew about this!) but what is he likely to get? And is it really worth him getting a solicitor and fighting this? He is in the catering industry and does split shifts – early starts and late finishes!

Any opinions guys? Thanks. I do expect the usual "purchase a jar of vaseline" suggestions - I would be disappointed if there weren't any.

Discuss??
Old 26-11-2007, 01:51 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

a local barman got caught round here driiving with no license, which also equals no insurnace obviously.

he got a ban from all driving for 18 months. a £600 fine and something permanently on his license, when he takes his test after 18months, that will give him expensive insurnace for the rest of his life i guess

no sympathy though i'm afraid
Old 26-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Ian M500COS

Thanks Ginge. Its advice like that I am after - he doesnt deserve sympathy! 18 months? Ouch!

Any other opinions ??
Old 26-11-2007, 01:55 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Now I really do detest those that drive uninsured but he has actually got insurance!
Not if he doesn't have a license!
Hope he gets a heavy punishment
Old 26-11-2007, 02:01 PM
angel45
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

As said Ian, its a Ban, fine and he may have to do extended driving test
Old 26-11-2007, 02:04 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the court will butt fuck him, and rightly so

tell him to start praticing waiting for the bus
Old 26-11-2007, 02:09 PM
McGoo 69
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he will most likly get a hefty fine and told to take his test. and when he does pass his test he will have some points waiting to be put on his licence.

even though hes got insurance if he hasnt got a licence it is void, hence no insurance.

its all well and good getting away with it for 5years but its obvious it would have caught up with him at some point.

thats the way it is unfortunatly

Trending Topics

Old 26-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem here is this..

Been driving for 5 years without a licence.... so lets be honest if he gets a ban etc its hardly like its gonna stop him.

Its not like he can please to keep his licence for work purposes- he hasn't got one.

Prob there is a repeat offence it will get worse and worse and eventually he'll do bird for it- once the old bill know he'll be an easy target.

A fine and 18mths ban will be about right. He'll also prob have an IN10 on his licence so will start with 6 points for the remainder and this will FUCK his insurance.

On the face of it not bad- but he will certainly be taking it up the ass in some sense.

Insurers dont like IN10's... its the one for driving without insurance..

Jake
Old 26-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Ian M500COS

Originally Posted by angel45
As said Ian, its a Ban, fine and he may have to do extended driving test
Yeah, I know. Its the length of the ban I'm up in the air about! 6 months is bearable but 18 months is a long time!
Old 26-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Ian M500COS

Originally Posted by dojj

Lol. That's the amusement I expected. Harsh but fair
Old 26-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Ian M500COS

Originally Posted by Shings
I think the problem here is this..

Been driving for 5 years without a licence.... so lets be honest if he gets a ban etc its hardly like its gonna stop him.

Its not like he can please to keep his licence for work purposes- he hasn't got one.

Prob there is a repeat offence it will get worse and worse and eventually he'll do bird for it- once the old bill know he'll be an easy target.

A fine and 18mths ban will be about right. He'll also prob have an IN10 on his licence so will start with 6 points for the remainder and this will FUCK his insurance.

On the face of it not bad- but he will certainly be taking it up the ass in some sense.

Insurers dont like IN10's... its the one for driving without insurance..

Jake
Well he has a provisional so a licence in a sense!

When he gets banned (the week before christmas) if he tries to carry on driving I will disable his car!

Any other ideas? Do courts have any sympathy for anything these days?
Old 26-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Ian M500COS

The other question is... is it worth him even bothering getting a solicitor? OR just go in person? Or plead guilty by post?

And can a court take your licence off you if you are not present at the hearing?
Old 26-11-2007, 02:33 PM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A lad on a site i worked on got caught for the same thing but they never pursued the no insurance angle,they just did him for driving without correct licence and driving unsupervised,they also dropped the failing to produce.....

He got £420 fine and 6 points
Old 26-11-2007, 02:37 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Thing is whatever he gets will he learn his lesson from it??????????

He has been driving for so long without one wud it matter to him?
Old 26-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Bungle

I used to be a cunt for this if you wish to have a go then fine knock yourself out,

I got caught twice in 6 years 1st time i got 6 points on my provisonal and £130 fine

2nd and last time was in 2005 and i got 8 points and a £400 fine which resulted in a 6 month ban,

Its not big or clever but once you start doing it and realising how easy it is to get away with it the more you keep doing it, It took having a child and settling down to make me realise i had to grow up and sort myself out,

IMO The penalty should be at least 6 months jail for the 1st time as that would have been the only thing to stop me doing it and those that dont care about going to jail shouldn't be let out of there.

I'm glad i stopped doing it now i can drive wherever i want without watching my back and worrying about WHEN i get pulled
Old 26-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Bungle

Originally Posted by Ian M500COS
The other question is... is it worth him even bothering getting a solicitor? OR just go in person? Or plead guilty by post?

And can a court take your licence off you if you are not present at the hearing?
Whats the point in a solicitor he's in the wrong like i was end of,

If you go to court and they ban you they take your licence there and then If you plead guilty by letter you have to post it to the dvla i think.
Old 26-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Chris Honeywell

Well if hes a nervous wreck in exams and can't handle pressure hes gonna be crying like a baby in court
Old 26-11-2007, 03:41 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian M500COS
Originally Posted by dojj

Lol. That's the amusement I expected. Harsh but fair
but it's true, the courts tend to have good and bad days, and if they are having a good day he may walk away with a smaller fine and a shorter ban, but if they want to be cunts then they will screw him over big time and push everything

it all depends on what the police say, if he's been bragging about driving for ages and not getting caught then youwill rightly be expecting plod to be keeping an eye on him, certain forces even wait for you to think you've got away with not being caught wilest driving on a ban and then they catch you and you not only lose the car you also lose whatever sympathy the courts might have had for a first time offender

tell him to bawl like a little baby and hope for leniencey, but make sure he's ready to accept what they will throw at him if they want to reall ruin his life, like a stretch inside that is possibly on the cars depending ont he severity of the crime (higly unlikly but it never hurts to play good cop bad cop in these sorts of situations)
Old 26-11-2007, 03:50 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how has he been taxing cars then???

imo if he chavs himself up good and proper, baseball cap and tracky
bottoms and put your hands down your undies like a lot of them do,
you get off lightly, well better than wearing a suit and coming over
all respectable.
they seem to hate people who should know better taking the piss
but chonkers who do it all the time get away laughing
Old 26-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Ian M500COS

Originally Posted by cozzfather
how has he been taxing cars then???

imo if he chavs himself up good and proper, baseball cap and tracky
bottoms and put your hands down your undies like a lot of them do,
you get off lightly, well better than wearing a suit and coming over
all respectable.
they seem to hate people who should know better taking the piss
but chonkers who do it all the time get away laughing
He can tax his car because he has insurance......either saying he had a full licence to the insurance company or by saying he had a provisional. Im not sure of which!

Maybe true of the last part. What if he said he was a jobless, illegal immigrant rapist - hey, they may even give him a fucking car! Lol!!
Old 26-11-2007, 04:30 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

imo he has well and truly wasted his dosh because in the event of a
crash the insurance people ask to see your licence.
no licence no payout
Old 26-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Ian M500COS

Yep, and if he got a produce...... no licence = no insurance hence court case before xmas.

Apparently he was tugged in July, it has taken this long to get his summons through!
Old 26-11-2007, 04:44 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Courts have been told they must put at LEAST 6 points on a person guilty of this offence so that they then have to take a extended driving test, to qualify for full license.
Court does NOT need license, it's only a piece of paper, they just withdraw his license to drive and the POLICE ARE ROUTINELY INFORMED by DVLA of any newly banned drivers by email or fax, so they will be looking for him.
I would guess the insuarance company that he tries to insure with once he has passed his test will roll the dice till they get a high number.
If the man is a toe rag in other ways plod will likely tip off the reporters of the local papers so it makes the paper as well, even if he does not attend court and does a "paper" hearing, they will still print the outcome, with name and address, the only thing they leave off is his actual house number.
tabetha
Old 26-11-2007, 04:46 PM
tregmatt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i dont want to sound nasty but driving with no insurance or driving licence is a really stupid thing to do, and the courts will come down really hard on him, his best bet is to buy a push bike from halfords