General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Landlord and eviction help - Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 20-11-2007, 11:40 PM
KregRS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Landlord and eviction help - Advice please

Hi, I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice on an issue I'm having with my landlord.

We took on the tenancy of a 19th century cottage on 16th June 2007, and at the time both myself and my partner were not working, claiming benefit and the landlord was made aware of this and that we would be making a claim for Housing Benefit. Despite numerous requests, we didnt receive our tenancy aggreement until the middle of October, by which point my circumstances were about to change due to me finding a job, because of which, both mine and my partners claim for Jobseekers finished. Now, I know we can claim for backdated benefit, and there is the possibilty that we may be able to get help with the rent due to only having 1 income, but until today we were unable to get the forms in. We couldn't claim whilst we were on benefit due to not having the Tenancy aggreement, and no rent has been paid apart from the 1st month when we moved in. After numerous conversations with the landlord, and telling him that we were trying to sort the situation, tonight we had a notice through the door explaining that he is now going to apply for us to be evicted. Some of what he claims on the form is untrue, namely that we have both worked since the tenacy was started and that we have boasted that we have no intention of paying the rent, the first we have proof that it is untrue, the second we don't know where he got that from, but it does say on the form that it is what we have told him.

Does anyone have any pointers on what to do?

Also, since we moved into the property we have had problems with it. Firstly there is a major rat problem, they have nests in the shed walls!, shed ceiling, under the shed, under the gas tank, in fact we have counted signs of at least 15 nests! Landlord was told of this, he supposedly told council and all blame was passed to next door, a kind of small holding. As an example of how bad the problem is, next door have, over the past few weeks managed to trap and kill at least 40 rats per week, although we still have the nests, and despite the landlord promising to deal with the problem, nothing has been done.
Secondly, there is a gas fire in the fireplace, the chimney having been blocked up in the past with concrete and newspaper with an outlet for the flue. Over the past few months the concrete/paper mixture has been falling out, and we suspect, by the noises that are heard, that there may be creatures living in the chimney breast. Again this has been mentioned but no remedy given.
Thirdly, on looking in the loft, there are 2 holes in the roof, and rodents living in the loft, with a lot of mess visible. Again nothing has been done despite us informing him.
Fourthly, after a pipe burst on the water meter, until we made a fuss, the landlord expected us to live without water for upto 48hrs while he made arrangements for repairs, instead of calling for emergency help. Problem being there was no water supply to the house due it being turned off because of the leak.
Fifthly, despite asking for the key to the front door, we have yet to be given one, as such we only have access through the back door. Also, the front door frame is rotten, with daylight visible through the bottom, again this has been reported but no remedy given.
Both my partner and I, and her parents, feel that the house isn't really fit to be rented out, how can we find out if this correct, who would we need to contact?

Any ideas on how best to proceed, and would any of this go in our favour should we need to attend court?
Old 21-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

I would contact the Citizens Advise and possibly the environmental health for guidence
Old 21-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

go and rent another house for free
Old 21-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Default Re: Landlord and eviction help - Advice please

Originally Posted by KregRS
no rent has been paid apart from the 1st month when we moved in.
That itself speaks volumes to me!
Old 21-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nath
no rent has been paid apart from the 1st month when we moved in.
That itself speaks volumes to me!
very diplomatically put nath
mods should this topic be moved
some may think re moved
Old 21-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Chris Honeywell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ERRR

what is the landlord supposed to do hes had no money for months

Just pay him what hes owed and go from there
Old 21-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

All landlords now have to carry out annual gas safety inspections (with a CORGI registered engineer) by law and provide each tenant with a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate. If you are a new tenant, then you should be issued with a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate before you move in.

If the Landlord hasn't done this, the relevant authorities will come down on him like a ton of bricks and he can expect a huge fine.

Definitely seek advice from Citizens Advice.

PRIVATE SECTOR RENTING
Old 21-11-2007, 06:36 AM
Chris Honeywell

Hi, I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice on an issue I'm having with my landlord.

We took on the tenancy of a 19th century cottage on 16th June 2007, and at the time both myself and my partner were not working, claiming benefit and the landlord was made aware of this and that we would be making a claim for Housing Benefit. Despite numerous requests, we didnt receive our tenancy aggreement until the middle of October, by which point my circumstances were about to change due to me finding a job, because of which, both mine and my partners claim for Jobseekers finished. Now, I know we can claim for backdated benefit, and there is the possibilty that we may be able to get help with the rent due to only having 1 income, but until today we were unable to get the forms in. We couldn't claim whilst we were on benefit due to not having the Tenancy aggreement, and no rent has been paid apart from the 1st month when we moved in. After numerous conversations with the landlord, and telling him that we were trying to sort the situation, tonight we had a notice through the door explaining that he is now going to apply for us to be evicted. Some of what he claims on the form is untrue, namely that we have both worked since the tenacy was started and that we have boasted that we have no intention of paying the rent, the first we have proof that it is untrue, the second we don't know where he got that from, but it does say on the form that it is what we have told him.

Does anyone have any pointers on what to do?

Also, since we moved into the property we have had problems with it. Firstly there is a major rat problem, they have nests in the shed walls!, shed ceiling, under the shed, under the gas tank, in fact we have counted signs of at least 15 nests! Landlord was told of this, he supposedly told council and all blame was passed to next door, a kind of small holding. As an example of how bad the problem is, next door have, over the past few weeks managed to trap and kill at least 40 rats per week, although we still have the nests, and despite the landlord promising to deal with the problem, nothing has been done.
Secondly, there is a gas fire in the fireplace, the chimney having been blocked up in the past with concrete and newspaper with an outlet for the flue. Over the past few months the concrete/paper mixture has been falling out, and we suspect, by the noises that are heard, that there may be creatures living in the chimney breast. Again this has been mentioned but no remedy given.
Thirdly, on looking in the loft, there are 2 holes in the roof, and rodents living in the loft, with a lot of mess visible. Again nothing has been done despite us informing him.
Fourthly, after a pipe burst on the water meter, until we made a fuss, the landlord expected us to live without water for upto 48hrs while he made arrangements for repairs, instead of calling for emergency help. Problem being there was no water supply to the house due it being turned off because of the leak.
Fifthly, despite asking for the key to the front door, we have yet to be given one, as such we only have access through the back door. Also, the front door frame is rotten, with daylight visible through the bottom, again this has been reported but no remedy given.
Both my partner and I, and her parents, feel that the house isn't really fit to be rented out, how can we find out if this correct, who would we need to contact?

Any ideas on how best to proceed, and would any of this go in our favour should we need to attend court?

And as you say the house is'nt really fit for renting so i see no problem in leaving asap
Old 21-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

just move out you have had a free house for 6 months and it appears that you think the house is derelict and rat infested perhaps the house needs cleaning if rats are moving in or get a jack russel they love rats
Old 21-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

put yourself in his position,if you had only 1 months rent in 5 months would you be happy?
no wonder he has not done any repairs,you have not paid him yet!

only just got the forms in today,what the hell have you been doing for 5 months then?

sounds like you have done yourself no favours at all.
Old 21-11-2007, 08:27 AM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Pay some rent I don't think I would be happy about chasing up repairs to a house that wasn't paying for itself. The landlord will probably still be paying the mortgage so he is paying for you to live there. To be honest, i wouldn't have waited 5 months to kick you out. I'd have done it after the first month of missed rent.

Debs
Old 21-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Imagine embarrassing yourself by admitting all that. He's probably putting the rats in so you move out...

You should be ashamed.
Old 21-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

We couldn't claim whilst we were on benefit due to not having the Tenancy aggreement, and no rent has been paid apart from the 1st month when we moved in.
Didn't you tell him he was gonna get all of his back dated rent when he pulled his finger out and sorted the paperwork out? Now he's done it, he'll get his backdated rent and just start paying it yourself as you now should.
Dont see there's a massive problem if you tell him he's gonna get paid. Or move out.
Old 21-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

didn't you post this a bout 4 months ago on here
Old 21-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Probably not - as you haven't been paying rent. You can lodge complaints etc. about unfit living conditions, BUT you cannot simply stop paying rent in the meantime.
Old 21-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you. This post has brightened my day, and given me a reason to continue living!

Although I firmly believe that you are the author of your own misfortune and are not deserving of much, if any, sympathy, it is likely that you would win a dispute if all that you write is correct.

Tenant is entitled to a copy of his Tenancy agreement, and there is no advantage to a landlord in with-holding it, but if he did, you are already ahead on points. However, it could become "he-said you-said", so how will you prove you didn't get a copy?

The gas safety thing is a big problem for the landlord if his certificate has expired, but do you know that it has? As said, there are severe penalties for not having an up to date certificate and so we are very strict about completing these, but we still need our tenants permission to grant access for the inspection. Maybe he felt threatened by you and was afaid to seek access?

leaving you without water is another big no-no, but if he can show that he made exhaustive efforts and there were no plumbers available he might get some sympathy.

The rats problem seems to have existed when you agreed to take on the house, but he has a responsibility to deal with this.

Housing Benefit will NOT be backdated because YOU failed to apply in time. At best, it may be backdated to when you started work. The lack of a tenancy agreement does not absolve you of your moral responsibility and I would pursue you in full for the outstanding rent.

In my experience, good tenants enjoy better relationships with their landlords and, while he can't use your non-payment as a reason for failing to comply with his minimum obligations, I think he is VERY entitled to be aggrieved by you.
Old 21-11-2007, 10:32 AM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

WHo in their right mind comes onto a public forum and complains like this

I'm sorry but as a landlord you have failed in the most basic of things: i.e. payment. Whilst he/she hasnt complied with all of their obligations I dont think that you have a right to complain at all. You will probably find that the agreement became null and void as soon as you failed in your rent payments and therefore his obligations to yourself also stopped at the same time.

I would suggest finding somewhere else to live and this time ensure that YOU can do the decent thing and pay the rent. Shelter is one of life's basic essentials but it should not be expected fro FREE.

Stop complaining and get a liufe away from a public forum to ask for advise in.

Sorry for being so blunt but these sort of stories really ruin sites like this.
Old 21-11-2007, 10:58 AM
RSrussell
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
In my experience, good tenants enjoy better relationships with their landlords
well said

fook having a tenant like you
Old 21-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

shame you cant just drag folk out your own house these days
the shit my cousin has went through and the thousands its cost him in some smelly fooker thinking they can live rent free and then move out when they decide and leave the place in a shit hole.and it deffo aint as easy these days as just dragging them out and tossing there stuff in the road if they got a tenacy agreement.even if they aint paying it.
not saying your the same kreg but does sounds like it.as you could have done something long before now.looks like you just been wanting a rent free house
tbh if i was to rent my flat to someone i didnt know i probably wouldnt bother with an agreement as that way if you do kick them out theres no proof they have ever been allowed to live there anyway
Old 21-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Daviet
tbh if i was to rent my flat to someone i didnt know i probably wouldnt bother with an agreement as that way if you do kick them out theres no proof they have ever been allowed to live there anyway
Then they get squatters rights and its even HARDER to get shot of the bastards.

Buy to Let isn't a land of milk and honey, and I only do it because I'm paid to do it for others. Would I put my own money in a business where everyone is able to rip the piss without any comeback on them? Not a fucking chance!
Old 21-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

I am sure this guy posted this on here about 4 months ago,
sounds to me like he never intended to pay any rent ,how can you rent a house with no foookin job,
the state will pay if you breed like rats
perhaps your water supply problem was more along the lines of you cut off for not paying the water bill as by your own admission you haven't got a pot to piss in.
Sounds to me that the landlord has two big rats in his house
Old 21-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Daviet
Then they get squatters rights and its even HARDER to get shot of the bastards.

Buy to Let isn't a land of milk and honey, and I only do it because I'm paid to do it for others. Would I put my own money in a business where everyone is able to rip the piss without any comeback on them? Not a fucking chance!
you think?? thats deffo not what happened to the polish coonts renting one of my old mans flats
Old 21-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well done you - it's about time a more common sense approach was taken, because we're made to be squeeky clean!

Lots of tenants seem to believe that the landlord owes them something, but that is a two-way street.
Old 21-11-2007, 11:24 AM
KregTurbo
Virgin

This is my boyfriend (KREGRS) other account but i feel i have to comment:

We have made every attempt to get the housing beneit sorted, applying for it a couple of weeks after we moved in, however, with no tenancy agreement the council could not proceed with the claim.

I personally dont see how not paying is actulally our fault, if the landlord refused to suply a tenancy agreement until the middle of October meaning we couldn't apply for benefit until then. At the end of the day we told him when we first moved in we would need a tenancy agreement to apply for benefit.

He's put suposed court papers though the door based on complete hear say/lies, claiming we've both been working since we moved in, which in my case is partly true as i have have, up until last week, been running an Ebay based business via the job centre's new deal scheme but have still only been receiving benefits, however in my partners case the comments written are completely untrue. Surely rent paid or not he's committing slander by subbmitting court papers full of lies?

As for posting this in a general forum, i guess my partner thought someone might actually be able to help rather than implying everything is our fault.
Old 21-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

he learned from past tenents.now he just pays them all a visit for his rent everymonth that way he still sees that everythings sort of ok.i know some folk might not like the landlord turning up for rent every month but if they dont like it then you know where the door is
started when he rented a flat to a guy that was apparently only using it because he worked in edinburgh during the week and he only used it monday to thurs.he always paid on time etc no probs there.then when he moved out my dad went to flat and was a complete bomb site and the flat had been getting used as massage parlour and the evidence was everywhere .cost him thousands to put right and will never make same mistake again thats for sure
Old 21-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

K Reg Turbo

I can't believe you just said that you can't see how not paying isn't your fault.

You have responsibilities as well as rights, you know.

Why not nip down to Tesco for your groceries and, as you take them without paying for them, tell the manager that the dole will sort out your bill when you get your application in for the benefit, then let us know how you get on.

The landlord has been silly by letting you get this far into debt before taking action, but don't expect a reference from him.
Old 21-11-2007, 11:38 AM
KregTurbo
Virgin

I mean we're not dirty tennants the house is in good condition etc the only problem is this rent business, which could have all be sorted out so easily if we'd had our tenancy agreement when we moved in.

This whole experience has taught me one thing to never rent off a private landlord again and to always go through an agent!
Old 21-11-2007, 11:43 AM
KregTurbo
Virgin

K Reg Turbo

I can't believe you just said that you can't see how not paying isn't your fault.

You have responsibilities as well as rights, you know.

Why not nip down to Tesco for your groceries and, as you take them without paying for them, tell the manager that the dole will sort out your bill when you get your application in for the benefit, then let us know how you get on.

The landlord has been silly by letting you get this far into debt before taking action, but don't expect a reference from him.

How is it our fault we couldn't apply for housing benefit due to no tenancy agreement? Our rent is just over Ł600, so even if we put all our benefits and training allowances etc togther we could get nowhere near this figure, if we'd had jobs, or my business had been in full flow then of course we would have paid like any normal person would but we were totally reliant on housing benefit and they wouldn't even look at our claim until they had seen a tenancy agreement.
Old 21-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So why not camp out at your landlords until you got it?

If I thought I was about to be made homeless, I would!
Old 21-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

just rent somewhere else
Old 21-11-2007, 11:57 AM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Originally Posted by KregTurbo

We have made every attempt to get the housing beneit sorted, applying for it a couple of weeks after we moved in, however, with no tenancy agreement the council could not proceed with the claim.

I personally dont see how not paying is actulally our fault, if the landlord refused to suply a tenancy agreement until the middle of October meaning we couldn't apply for benefit until then. At the end of the day we told him when we first moved in we would need a tenancy agreement to apply for benefit.

He's put suposed court papers though the door based on complete hear say/lies, claiming we've both been working since we moved in, which in my case is partly true as i have have, up until last week, been running an Ebay based business via the job centre's new deal scheme but have still only been receiving benefits, however in my partners case the comments written are completely untrue. Surely rent paid or not he's committing slander by subbmitting court papers full of lies?

As for posting this in a general forum, i guess my partner thought someone might actually be able to help rather than implying everything is our fault.
The thing that interests me is, if you are both old enough to rent a house you are old enough to work, you state that you were waiting for a housing benefit claim, so effectively you were waiting for us tax payers to pay your rent I know that you say that you have just got a job but why haven't you had one all along? Both of you?

Debs
Old 21-11-2007, 11:59 AM
KregTurbo
Virgin

Trust me if we'd known where he lived we would have, we didnt hear from him for weeks/months after moving in, i must have texted him at least once a week if not more to see where the agreement was and 9 times out of 10 he'd ignore the message, he wouldnt pick up or return calls either. it honetly always seemed like he couldnt be bothered, like we were making a fuss over nothing.
Old 21-11-2007, 12:02 PM
B16JUS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

if you havnt got the money to rent somewhere then dont rent it?

surly renting somewhere cheaper or staying with friends until your on your feet is better.

you got to understand it from the landlord side he rent to get money not for the love of it etc

J
Old 21-11-2007, 12:03 PM
KregTurbo
Virgin

Originally Posted by truthordare

The thing that interests me is, if you are both old enough to rent a house you are old enough to work, you state that you were waiting for a housing benefit claim, so effectively you were waiting for us tax payers to pay your rent I know that you say that you have just got a job but why haven't you had one all along? Both of you?

Debs
You'll probably rubbish this but i've just started my own business, so although in effect i don't have job and boss etc i'm not just some doley who sits around doing nothing, i seem to work ever hour there is on my business but obviously its not seeing massive returns while its still very much in it infancy.
Old 21-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

why have you got two user names here?i thought that was not allowed.
Old 21-11-2007, 12:05 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

Debs
You'll probably rubbish this but i've just started my own business, so although in effect i don't have job and boss etc i'm not just some doley who sits around doing nothing, i seem to work ever hour there is on my business but obviously its not seeing massive returns while its still very much in it infancy.
Thats a fair point, why doesn't your missus work?

Debs
KregTurbo
Virgin

Originally Posted by JAZZA
if you havnt got the money to rent somewhere then dont rent it?

surly renting somewhere cheaper or staying with friends until your on your feet is better.

you got to understand it from the landlord side he rent to get money not for the love of it etc

J
I know, but at the time this was the only place we could find that would allow us to keep our dog.
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

he probably thought you were ringing up to complain about the rats the water the chimney the mice the decor the garden the neighbours etc etc so ignored your calls.it does list all that in your topic
surely the rats are frightened of your dog
Old 21-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

Debs

Debs
https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...asc&highlight=
Old 21-11-2007, 12:08 PM
KregTurbo
Virgin

Debs

Debs
I am his missus!!

My boyfriend Kregrs was like me trying to start a business but couldn't raise the start up finance, which meant 6 or so months wasted, but now he does agency work which at times is a bit hit and miss some weeks 1/2 days other weeks a full week.

Quick Reply: Landlord and eviction help - Advice please