General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Noisy Neighbours

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007 | 08:48 AM
timb551
Advanced PassionFord User

Default Noisy Neighbours

Morning

I'm a little tired this morning due to my next door neighbour.

I have been in my house for about 12 weeks now and so far everything has been ok, but over the last week for some reason next door (i live in a mid terrace) have decided that its a good idea to make a huge amount of noise at 4am in the morning. I'm not talking the odd door being shut loudly im talking real slamming around. god knows what there doing but suffice it to say its waking both me and my partner up and really not helping us get a decent nights sleep. My partner commutes for 1.5 hours in the morning and am getting a bit worried that she's going to fall asleep in the car!

I'm not sure on what the best thing to do it.

I obviously don't want to fall out with them but i do need my sleep.

Should i pop round and have a work, write a letter or when they are making all the noise try some banging on the walls to see if they get the hint......

Any advice?
Old 05-11-2007 | 08:52 AM
tommy6206

Make plenty of noise when there asleep and see what the say
mark
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just pop round and ask them if thay could be quiet in a nice way
if that dont work piss in there leter box
lead_foot
is awesome

Full on Anti-lag, burnouts and doughnuts (donuts) when you know they are trying to sleep.

HTH
Old 05-11-2007 | 09:25 AM
anodised
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

when u see them next start taking with them and ask if they can hear anything cause someone around is making loads of noise at nite and u cant sleep. then that way u are not saying its them and they might get the hint

if that fails start banging on the wall

or

pay the kids to knock on there door at nite for a few weeks

wipe shit on there door handle lol
Old 05-11-2007 | 09:32 AM
timb551

lol all very helpful comments but im not sure making noise back at them is going to be the best plan.
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:04 AM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

first port of call is always gonna be knock on the door and have a friendly word. If that doesnt work, go from there
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:09 AM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Is one of them working shift? They may be getting up/coming home and not realising how loud they are being.

Best bet is to politely ask them if they could keep it down a little as your knackered.

Kick their door down at 4am wearing nothing but you pants and carrying a big bat screaming "I can't feking sleep, so shut the fuk up"

My sister and her fella had this, he went straight round at 2am, asked them what they were doing and tld them to keep it down.

at 3am, they came round and knocked the door to appologise he told them it might have been better to wait till the morning than wake him up AGAIN!!!

On a serious note, keep it as amicable as possible, nothing worse than falling out with the neighbours, so softly softly.
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:09 AM
timb551

i think ill wait for one more occasion just to satisfy myself that im not being picky and then go and have a word. The only problem is they havent exactly been overly friendly since we moved in the other side are great and bought us a bottle of wine and always have a chat when i see them but this family have hardly said a word to us.
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:12 AM
timb551

Originally Posted by matts1
Kick their door down at 4am wearing nothing but you pants and carrying a big bat screaming "I can't feking sleep, so shut the fuk up"
lol

I think ill wait until it gets really bad before i do that

i dont think they work shifts but will see when the next occasion is to see if its exactly the same time.
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:15 AM
Cawood
PassionFord Post Whore!!

go around and speak to them politely about it

dont just start banging on the wall all the time as this will get their backs up

thats what my neighbour does, just bangs on our wall every 2 minutes and we now hate each other n nearly come to blows a few times now, the cunt!

the neighbours at out other side are noisy fookers as well, get annoying but our walls are that thin you can heard them talking! so not much we can do about it
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:50 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

shoddy fucking english houses why can't they build a proper double noise insulated wall between houses?
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:53 AM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

If the friendly chat doesn't work, so you need to speak to the council & make a diary of when the noise is & what you're doing. After two weeks you can send it back to the council who will mail them a letter stating they have received a complaint of noise (anonymous on your part).

The council will then contact you back after around 2/3 weeks to see if it's improved. If it hasn't then they will send someone round to check what's actually going on: not easy at 4am from in your house, but that's why they ask when the noise is: so they can send someone round at the times it's happening most to 'catch them at it'.
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:57 AM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

everyone should live on a farm!
Old 05-11-2007 | 11:00 AM
timb551

Originally Posted by rs shawn
If the friendly chat doesn't work, so you need to speak to the council & make a diary of when the noise is & what you're doing. After two weeks you can send it back to the council who will mail them a letter stating they have received a complaint of noise (anonymous on your part).

The council will then contact you back after around 2/3 weeks to see if it's improved. If it hasn't then they will send someone round to check what's actually going on: not easy at 4am from in your house, but that's why they ask when the noise is: so they can send someone round at the times it's happening most to 'catch them at it'.

I think this would be a really last ditch option as they are end terrace so it would be obvious its me. I think the friendly approach is what ill go with i.e. pop round there one night this week and have a quiet word.

Or i could put a horses head in their bed
Old 05-11-2007 | 11:12 AM
xxshepxx
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

i had to put up with this for years,

lad next door kept playing his music,

it really does get very annoying, but the police wont do anything unless you keep a log of the noise and phone them 3times in one day

which to me seems rediculous
Old 05-11-2007 | 12:33 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

either go around for a chat or bang on the wall. dont stick a letter through their door as thats the poofs way out
Old 05-11-2007 | 02:09 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

PASSIONFORD HOUSE WARMING
Old 05-11-2007 | 08:11 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

timb551 I did say pop round first for a chat
Old 05-11-2007 | 08:54 PM
miss npo
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Like peep's have said above pop round and have a friendly chat , we had this problem when we got new neigbour's next to us , firstly they moved some stuff in at 1am in the morning and woke us up which we thought was a pretty strange thing to do , then once they were in they decided to start diy late at night really loud drilling 9 /10 pm at night which kept my 3 children up

my husband went round after quite a few times and the bloke did say he was really sorry , there attually a lovely couple but very noisy at night , if i get get up in the night to go to the loo i can hear them banging about at 3/4 in the morning but it's not loud enough to stop me sleeping , sometimes they have loud parties which can be quite annoying when your trying to sleep but they do understand when you make a complaint there not bad ppl to live next door to really , so your's hopefully might be the same , good luck
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:10 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Im so happy i live in a detatched house

Sorry that don't help you

Hope you sort it out

Steve.
Old 06-11-2007 | 12:02 AM
JimmyBoy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I dont think people can always appreciate how annoying this can be until they have actually experienced it for themselves.

I live in a downstairs flat and I had a new neighbour move in above me. She decided it would be a good idea to remove all the carpets and have laminate flooring, and would always wear high heels, so I heard every single footstep.

She was one of those who use to always be moving as well, and didnt seem to be able to do anything quietly. I could hear opening/closing cupboards, putting the dishes away etc... etc...

She also use to regularlly have music playing loud between 12am and 3am which was a fookin nightmare.

All in all, it ended up getting me quite ill as I had a serious lack of sleep and just couldnt relax at home knowing that anytime she could be back and the noise would start again.

Luckily the silly bitch moved out a while ago and I now have a new neighbour upstairs which I dont hear anything from!
Old 06-11-2007 | 06:01 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

There's a programme on ITV tonight called Summer of Noise... about noisy neighbours.