General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

cooler the fuel the more power it produces?any body coment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:36 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R5FORD
i was really enjoying this post untill the guys that started with chip entered ot ffs get over it..you dont like him or his replys..dont read them..dont stop the rest of us being educated just beacuse you want to fcuk around
chip did the right thing,,, as if left to go on i can see people going out and fitting methods of cooling there fuel and such like! wasting there money in search of large extra power
Old 04-11-2007, 02:54 PM
tomcos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Originally Posted by tomcos
Originally Posted by GARETH T
and PMSL @ 50 BHP
Frightening that Euan is at a garage who supposedly have a clue what they are doing and yet let him leave believing that.
More frightening is that I should be judged on what my customers think or conclude or are you suggesting worse?ie lies,incompitance .As you were not party to the testing & clearly not party to all the information gleaned
why would you leap to this conclusion?worse still express it on an open forum? For the record I believe fuel cooling has minor benifits in line with your discussion,a long held view.

Alan A.V.A.

Alan,
See What your customer posted in this very thread and it should be quite apparent that he CLEARLY left thinking that cooler fuel made his car 50bhp more than slightly warmer fuel, I said I found that frightening and I still do, Im not judging you specifically on it as Ive no way of knowing if you really told Euan that like he implies or if he dreamt it up himself and then tried to back up his nonsense by putting your name to it.

Im not calling him a liar either by the way I dont believe he is.
Its perfectly possible that Euan is just too simple to really be trying to make conclusions on his own and didnt talk to you about it, but if you look at his reply just after yours, he really does believe that was the reason for the change in power and it sounds very much like AVA did too if you read his replies in this thread!

If that wasnt what caused the difference in power (like lets face it everyone of us with the slightest clue about engines KNOWS it bloody well wasnt) then perhaps you need to be either correcting Euan or at least asking him not to imply that your name validates his claims.

The phrase he used was:
we have monitored on the rollers.
So its HIM that is ascociating his nonsense with test thats "you and him" performed and results that "you and him" concluded.

I stand by my statement 100% I dont believe it to be innacurate or libelous.
Sorry but my reading of your original post was & is that it is a personal critisism words like "supposedly" & "allowed him to leave believing" can surely only be taken that way?You seem to now be saying that it is Ewan that is at fault & the blame is solely his?Perhaps if instead of refuting the claim straight away you had possibly asked for qualification ie fuel temp recorded,any other mitigating factors instead of steamrollering him you might have promoted a more useful technical discussion?
Your dislike of Ewans posts is clear,however as he has found himself in a position to witness things being tested or tried out that many of your other contributors have not & then chooses to share them for whatever reason
(you seem to have chosen reflected glory)is it not better for the cause of technical discussion?Personally I wouldn't bother as its clearly not worth the hassle it does however serve to remind me why I shouldn't read or post on these threads

For the record

The test did take place

Ewan did witness it

The figures he mentioned were seen

Excessive fuel heating did take place beyond the figures you suggested

Other factors were involved

This was not a test to prove the effect of fuel heating & no such conclussion was drawn by me

The only conclussion drawn by me was don't test with with excessive fuel temp as it interferes with the results

I do not control what my customers say or think

Regards Alan A.V.A.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:01 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well whos up for ice cubes in thier tanks and letting us know the results?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Mark_w
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Stavros
Originally Posted by B16 YBB
Originally Posted by Matt J
its just the way you go about it that makes you come across as a complete cunt, it turned to shit the minute you offered to go all the way up to AVA to prove he was wrong by testing with different temp fuel.

Bit of tact and a little less direct character asassination might help slightly.

PMSL @ scrolling past your posts, that would be about 95% of the thread then

regards mark
Yet another completely worthless spam post in a technical thread by one of the regular PF bandwagon jumpers who are incapable of joining in the forum usefully it would appear.
its true though mate, its your style of writing/posting, your doing a good job of pissing everyone off on DW too, ive had a few PMs about it so far (mods and normal folk) as its obvious i know you and wondered what the crack was.
Its not just this site he annoys most of the members then

mark
Old 04-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

Alan AVA,

Please forgive PassionFord...we have a user who hogs 95% of threads to try and make others look stupid for a look at me i am a know it all but only thru reading books,he is a vauxhall boy..need i say more?Its pathetic he could actually go far on these forums if he used his brain cells in actually being constructive instead of only critizising...but let it be known he is pissing many folk off on many boards..unfortunately he is his own downfall.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:28 PM
gym-rst
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by gym-rst
It makes a difference, but not a huge one, and even less so on a more basic spec of car.
So how come the Germans use them on alot of there tdi engines i have often wondered about this an what gain s that they must get from them ?
Because without them, the pressures involved would mean the fuel being VERY hot and that starts to change the flash point, so all they are doing is trying to get it back down to "normal" temps.

Dont confuse common rail diesel with petrol injection, very different situations.
I see i had often wondered how come they were used on the diesels an not the petrol models, and if i could put them to use some how on my cossie.

Have changed loads though mind at work from people twating the underside on speed bumps to fast an fracturing the pipes and diesel pissing everywhere.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:45 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chip

ever heard the phrase " you cant educate pork? "
Old 04-11-2007, 05:04 PM
gym-rst
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by danneth
chip

Sorry did i miss out the, but after reading all the points put across on this subject that if used on a petrol car ie my cossie the gains would be very small or in chips view imo pointless. And after reading his post now know the diesel engines pump the fuel in so fast it needs to be cooled to get the temps back down again before entering the engine is the reason they use them, From my post for you.

I asked a question i had been wondering about an got an answer whats wrong with that

Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

i was really enjoying this post untill the guys that started with chip entered ot ffs get over it..you dont like him or his replys..dont read them..dont stop the rest of us being educated just beacuse you want to fcuk around

Thanks for the support, I think sometimes that because the people on here who like to bitch without even having any useful input to a thread all bandwagon jump in with each other just for the sake of it and most of the time and no one bothers to say anything to the contrary as they just cant be arsed to get invovled. That the silly little twats end up thinking everyone feels the same way and they somehow represent the majority just cause they are the only ones saying anything (or rather, talking a lot and saying nothing)
Old 04-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by PGT
if someone claims such a major significance in power for a particular issue on a forum such as this then imo it deserves to be challenged. complaining about the style of the challenger or indeed about whether the challenger is correct is a side show compared to the central issue: IS THE CLAIM VALID
Thanks again, as per my post above
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by GARETH T
chip did the right thing,,, as if left to go on i can see people going out and fitting methods of cooling there fuel and such like! wasting there money in search of large extra power
Thanks again, as per my post above
Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Chip

Sorry
No need to apologise mate, its easy to misread things in a different way to which they were typed, nothing is less clear than the written word sometimes!

my reading of your original post was & is that it is a personal critisism words like "supposedly" & "allowed him to leave believing" can surely only be taken that way?
My observation is that popular belief is that you are supposed to be very good at what you do, Ive no evidence to the contary so im not going to dispute it, but im also not going to word it as if I have firsthand experience of it when I dont, so "supposedly" or "reportedly" or words to that effect needed to be included to show it was only hearsay from my point of view and not my own experienced view of you.

I said "allowed him to leave believing" as that is obviously what happened, I havent put "AVA TOLD HIM" for the simple reason that I dont beleive you did, because I dont believe that someone with your good reputation would be so stupid as to jump to the conclusion Ewan wrongly believed you to have done.

You seem to now be saying that it is Ewan that is at fault & the blame is solely his?
Ewan incorrectly represented the views of your company IMHO yes, I dont beleive he did so deliberately or trying to mislead people, he just said a load of bollocks that he genuinely beleived to actually be true.

Perhaps if instead of refuting the claim straight away you had possibly asked for qualification ie fuel temp recorded,any other mitigating factors instead of steamrollering him you might have promoted a more useful technical discussion?
Its possible, but TBH the claim was so completely ridiculous I didnt really see much value in getting the details of what he wrongly believed, it was very obvious from his post that no such measurements were made or he would have quoted figures.
When people claim things that are unlikely I question them for details, when the claim things that are just totally and utterly completely ridiculous I dont bother as frankly it happens so often that even with the amount of time I spend on PF I couldnt touch the surface of what some of the idiots on here think

Your dislike of Ewans posts is clear
I reguarly enjoy Ewans posts, I think he (and to probably a larger extent you) is doing great things with his cars, I think his results are amazing and I always enjoy hearing about them, and I have a massive amount of respect for what your team has achieved, my dislike of posts that are massively inaccurate technically and worse still (like GarethT mentions) potentially about to mislead people into trying things believing they will get gains when they wont is not in anyway effected by if Ewan posts them or not, I would have replied the same to ANY forum member making such a ridiculous claim.

,however as he has found himself in a position to witness things being tested or tried out that many of your other contributors have not & then chooses to share them for whatever reason
(you seem to have chosen reflected glory)is it not better for the cause of technical discussion?Personally I wouldn't bother as its clearly not worth the hassle it does however serve to remind me why I shouldn't read or post on these threads
I think its great that Ewan shares some of the details of what you guys do, very interesting reading on the occasions when he portrays it accurately.

For the record

The test did take place

Ewan did witness it

The figures he mentioned were seen

Excessive fuel heating did take place beyond the figures you suggested

Other factors were involved

This was not a test to prove the effect of fuel heating & no such conclussion was drawn by me

The only conclussion drawn by me was don't test with with excessive fuel temp as it interferes with the results
Ewan seemed not to believe the bit about other factors when I told him, im glad you are able to mention it here though for clarity just so others realise that the test Ewan thought he saw (ie one directly about fuel temps ONLY) in fact never occurred, that was just one of many factors that effected it.

I do not control what my customers say or think

Regards Alan A.V.A.
You may not intend to, but clearly in this case you did, Ewan is clearly very enthusiastic about his car and also very keen to learn how things work, he's trying to absorb things and as a result left thinking that your comment about the fuel was a lot more significant than it was, im sure that was not your intention, but clearly it happened anyway.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys.

So to conclude - it makes a bit of difference but not worth most people trying to refrigerate their petrol tanks?

I believe in f1 the rule is something like " not allowed to be cooler than 5 degrees below ambient "

Internet turns regular conversations between regular people into massive long winded arguments that are never solved and waste a phenomenal amount of time concluding nothing - followed by dropping off the front page and never to be raised again.

Interestingly enough - I expect that chip would very much enjoy a face to face chat with Alan. I always find it rather enlightening.

Cheers for now chaps

RW
Old 05-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Chip

Steven, its 10 degrees in F1, but is more about the time to fill the tank than to do with power gains I suspect.

And yes im sure I would really enjoy a natter with Alan, although I suspect there wouldnt be much in it for him as no doubt the only person learning anything would be me!
Old 05-11-2007, 12:39 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Has to be said, I whole-heartedly agree with chip here , 50BHP for fuel temps is a bit extreme, unless the fuel was so hot it was suffering from inline vapourisation ( a la Renault 5 GTT!) and causing air bubbles , but it would have to be VERY hot to do that..... Reading the original post it states that the car had been on the rollers for some time, and the very first thing that popped into my head was "heatsoak". Even with everything being monitored, half an hours cooling after a morning of running would allow plenty of time for things to come back to a sensible temp, things like intercooler,radiator etc etc, tyres, transmission etc etc. Personally I think this would be a much more likely factor in the power increase than mere fuel temp alone....

Be interesting to see a direct isolated test of fuel temp Vs Power though
Old 05-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Originally Posted by danneth
chip

I havent , But I know you can fuck it
Old 05-11-2007, 07:53 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

a few things that, as a late reader, i think i might have missed here and someoe should be able to clarify for me

the f1 arguement, if it's cooler when it goes in, how does it stay cooler when it's in the tank?
is the fuel forced in under pressure? and, if so, how does the tank hold this extra pressure? i've heard it's a bag so perhaps it's got a spring around it that squeezes the fuel ab it?

yes?
no?

i think people are also confusing fuel temps with fuel getting too hot, rather than having cold fuel in the first place, and i think there is a difference there between the temps getting too hot because of the location of the fuel tank as opposed to the fuel getting too hot when it's returning from the fuel rail beacuse of engine heat soak
fuel at x temp provides x amount of power
fuel at y temp provides y amount of power
so by cooling the fuel down again closer to ambient temps rather than coolin it before it gets to the engine are 2 totaly different things are they?
it's like going to work on a hot day with a caot on or going to work on a hot day without a coat on
if you feel to hot you take the caot off
if you feel too hot and you don'thave a coat you drink some water
same cooling, different reasons and different temps associated with it

yes?
no?

chip gets another blasting from people who don't quite "get" him or his posting style
i've learnt a lot from what he's posted, it may be common knowledge or just common sense, but he's worded it in a way that makes sense without being over complicated, which is a blessing for me bceause i'm a bit thick when it comes to explanations
this isn't a big up chip post because i don't think he needs it, and it's not a defending chip post because he's putting up a fine spirited fight for his replies, it's more of a thank you chip for explaining things post, because he's explained them

one more thng then, if you have an empty tank and go and fill up, the fuel coming from the underground tanks will obviously be cooler than what was in your car already, so will you gain power? or will you still be getting fuel delivered to the engine at the same temp due to the heat soak associsated by the plumbing necesary?

one mroe thng, it iar gets heated up the more you compress it, why doesn't eh same thing happen for fuel?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:02 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

interesting 'discussion'

some comments:

half an hour cooling down is not very long unless it's in a very cold ambient

a full tank of fuel on a hot day can be a lot hotter than a quarter tank on a cold day

there is a massive difference in common rail diesel engines to petrol engines - because the rail pressure is massively higher on the diesels. the more you compress something, the hotter it gets, so the unused diesel from the fuel rail going back to the tank is much hotter than the unused petrol going back to the tank hence why they fit coolers in the return line.

turbocharged rolls royces and bentleys (using the old 6.75 litre v8) had fuel coolers fitted - and not just ones that were a fuel to air heat excahnger. they used the Air Conditioning to cool it. why?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:38 AM
tomcos

Chip as I don't follow these threads often enough to know you can I ask is the info you post from personal experimentation or reading?

Regards Alan
Old 05-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Chip

Chip as I don't follow these threads often enough to know you can I ask is the info you post from personal experimentation or reading?

Regards Alan
Most of what I post is just from my own experience with my cars and the cars of friends, Im rather embarssed to say this as I know there is a lot of great literature out there but the only book on engines ive ever read properly is "Tuning BL's A series Engine" about fifteen years ago I probably should read more though.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:06 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont think a fuel/air cooler would make much of a difference to petrol...its actually quite cold anyway, certainly nowhere near as hot as a common rail fuel gets the ammount of pressure the common rail pumps produce and the way they compress the fuel raises the temp alot! so passing hotter fuel through a cooler makes sense in that application,

but how much do you think you could cool petrol with one pass through an air cooler when the fuel is already around ambient temp? 1 maybe 2 degrees......imo that would make no diffence at all. it may be different if you could get it down to negative temps.....
Old 05-11-2007, 10:31 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF
i dont think a fuel/air cooler would make much of a difference to petrol...its actually quite cold anyway, ....

but how much do you think you could cool petrol with one pass through an air cooler when the fuel is already around ambient temp?
who says petrol in a tank that has been through the pump and injector rail several times over is close to ambient temperature or cold? petrol feels colder than it is because it evaporates off the skin
Old 05-11-2007, 11:11 AM
tomcos

I ask because from your interpretation of my post it appears I haven't expressed myself clearly enough to make myself understood or is it that you are so intent on winning the argument that you have cherry picked it for favourable comments?A "frightening" (to borrow your parlance) technique for a technical discussion.Youre mistaken(?)if you think I was apologising.
It would appear,to me at least,that you are more interested in winning than in fact,would you agree that winning an argument does not always make you right? Let me say also (in case of misunderstanding)I don't think you have won anything here but you have certainly been offensive in pursuit of it,at least to me.

Regards Alan A.V.A.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

I will have to ask my mate who worked for Rover... He carried out fuel temp tests on their dyno, he did tell me the results they found but I can't remember.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Chip

Won?

I didnt realise it was a contest, and dont feel ive won or lost anything at all, I was just trying to help people understand the truth, and not believe a load of old "official AVA results" bollocks that Ewan posted.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:32 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be interested in the dyno results martin
Old 05-11-2007, 12:06 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
I will have to ask my mate who worked for Rover... He carried out fuel temp tests on their dyno, he did tell me the results they found but I can't remember.
that would sort this out
Old 05-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Steven_RW
PassionFord Post Troll

Chip - this isn't going the right way.

Alan will be using experience and testing he has personally carried out over years of dyno tuning etc. The chances are you haven't personally carried out similar tests.

Good luck sorting this out lol

RW
Old 05-11-2007, 12:51 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The results Euan /Alan have seen were on a highly tuned engine where everything is adjusted for max power, so the results stated will be much more than on a normal engine surely.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

Chip/Simon

..Just an observation you quoted "i should read more" Well you are on forums it would appear most of your life,so i would say you read more than any book reader on Earth...we ALL know your experience comes from reading..be it a book or the internet..they are the same thing really.You cannot possibly have ANY time left to actually test..and when you did i heard you made a mistake.

Much Love
Philip
Old 05-11-2007, 01:25 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

as has already been said - if the fuel temp. during the testing at AVA that Euan is talking about did make 50 BHP difference, that is a hell of a lot and would have needed some correction in the maps so that it doesn't run rich (with cold fuel) or lean (with hot fuel).
Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

"Tuning BL's A series Engine" about fifteen years ago I probably should read more though.
David Vizard if memory serves me right, yellow cover on the book damn heavy thing, really good read
Old 05-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Mark_w

Originally Posted by Bosch_Dealer
Chip/Simon

..Just an observation you quoted "i should read more" Well you are on forums it would appear most of your life,so i would say you read more than any book reader on Earth...we ALL know your experience comes from reading..be it a book or the internet..they are the same thing really.You cannot possibly have ANY time left to actually test..and when you did i heard you made a mistake.

Much Love
Philip
Phil...there are a lot of experts out there after they have read a forum,a book or have a best mate who has got/done that

regards mate
Old 05-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

I never personally took this thread to be a competition or an attempt to Win anything.

I noted a statement made, questioning of that statement clarification and discussion, I really enjoyed it myself and learnt something.

I think the three main people in this thread who contained the most knowledge or persepective (Chip-3Door, Alan, rapidcossie) behaved in a dignified manner presenting each point intelligently, at worst there was a little sarcasm.

When we have a forum full of threads about ex-girl friends, and what do I do about this bird im seeing, in between the happy birthday and party threads its nice to have a topic about cars where I actually learn something.

Chip-3Door, Alan, rapidcossie thanks

good healthy debate.. liked it
Old 05-11-2007, 02:39 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
as has already been said - if the fuel temp. during the testing at AVA that Euan is talking about did make 50 BHP difference, that is a hell of a lot and would have needed some correction in the maps so that it doesn't run rich (with cold fuel) or lean (with hot fuel).
my point earlier
Old 05-11-2007, 02:42 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Originally Posted by SilverSkins
only if its those little plastic re-usable ones

With the little flashing lights in..
Old 05-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by UnseenMenace
"Tuning BL's A series Engine" about fifteen years ago I probably should read more though.
David Vizard if memory serves me right, yellow cover on the book damn heavy thing, really good read

Yeah, thats the one
Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by B16 YBB
Originally Posted by Bosch_Dealer
Chip/Simon

Much Love
Philip
Phil...there are a lot of experts out there after they have read a forum,a book or have a best mate who has got/done that

regards mate
There certainly are, just not me, I tend to talk mainly about stuff Ive got relevent experience of when its technical details unless its from a particuarly good source, as I wouldnt want to make the mistake Ewan did here of talking about something I dont understand from firsthand experience, Bosch_Dealer also frequently does this when trying to remember stuff he's heard Julian Godfrey say to someone.

Not just limited to people on this forum though, Ive seen quite a few people on othe forums quoting technical stuff ive written in magazines for example and they havent really understood exactly what I meant.

Its all good though, as if people do make a mistake on these forums, there is normally one of us there who understands the subject to correct them, thats the best thing about forums in fact

If im ever writing something and need to refer to someone elses knowledge cause mine runs out, I always both credit them for it AND get them to proof read it (like I did with DannyB from here on an article on FWD drag preperation I wrote) that way no one ever gets misquoted
Old 05-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

...what a pleasant tackful reply Chip Keep that up and we could be lovers with your best mate silky the spit roast
Old 05-11-2007, 06:21 PM
radiant red

I think chips bang on for his entertaining and knowlegable replies, makes perfect sense to me

Quick Reply: cooler the fuel the more power it produces?any body coment?